Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

pbem points

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> pbem points Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
pbem points - 10/3/2004 11:32:30 AM   
rjinwootton

question to pbem players....when playing a pbem game do most play with equal points against each other no matter what sides are involved and historical availability ect, and if not what sort of ratio do you use?any suggestions would be appreciated
Post #: 1
RE: pbem points - 10/3/2004 4:37:40 PM   
Gallo Rojo

I usually use equal points if it's a Meeting.
2-1 if it's a Advance-Delay
3-1 if it's a Assault-Deffence.

I think that that is the way to do it.
It's assumed that unit's cost are calculated to produce a balanced battle if all realism prefferences are setted ON -- ok... that's the assumption... unit's cost can have problems, and as a matter of fact I have the feeling that some of them should be cheaper/more expencive than they actually are... but that's only a feeling , I can't really support that with "strong evidence".

Now... there're a few topics that has to be discussed:
As far as I remember, in early SPWaW versions there was something called "Soviet Purchase Advantage"; that means that if you stablish a certain battle points for the Germans and leave the Soviet side by default (XXXX), the game assigns an extra 20% for the USSR (example: a battle with 3,000 points for GE and XXX for the USSR turns into a 3,000 for GE and 3,600 for the USSR).

Is that "purchase advantage" nesesary for a balanced game?
I'm not sure about that. I have won battles playing the Soviets without that extra 20%.

Having said that, it's assumed that "all preferences" has to be setted ON for the game to be balanced. One prefference that I think is crussial but few people play with is Command and Controll. As Germans usually have more orders and radios, you can maneuvre a GE force easily... while you can't do that with the Soviets. So I guess that those 20% extra points can be a good idea if you're playing SO vs GE in meetings in the early years of the war.

Then you have Rarity. I never knew if Rarity is to force the player to buy more realistic battle groups, or to balace the game, or both. But my experience tells me that it's useless in terms of producing balanced battles (I mean: you can have balanced games if you set it OFF; and a player can still very un-realistic battle-groups even if it's ON).

That's for meetings.

Now... for Advance-Delays, a 2-1 ratio it's ok

For Assault-Deffences, it's assumed that the ratio has to be 3-1... but I never won a deffencive battle with such a ratio: my opponent always overrun me

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to rjinwootton)
Post #: 2
RE: pbem points - 10/3/2004 5:03:28 PM   
Goblin

Gallo is right. I usually try for a 2:1 with an assault, and 1.5 to one for an advance/delay. Reason? Because a human will play an advantage far better than the AI, so needs less of an advantage. Even at 2:1, a person will likely get crushed by their opponent due to force concentration.

Goblin

< Message edited by Goblin -- 10/3/2004 10:03:32 AM >

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 3
RE: pbem points - 10/3/2004 5:26:43 PM   
Gallo Rojo

So you sugest a 3:1 for Assault-Defence if it's Human Assaulting vs AI Deffending), and 2:1 for Advance-Delay if it's H advancing-AI delaying (I guess that that can turn to 5-1 if the AI is assaulting); but 2-1 Assault-Deffence if HvsH, and 1.5-1 if advance-delay H vs H. That's a good ratio, I guess I'll try it!

I remember that playing 3-1 defences sometimes I managed to get a draw or something, but because I destroyed a lot of enemy units... but the enemy always ends controlling the map.

In 2:1 advances-delaying I some times managed to retain one group of Victory Objetives Flags... but never in assault-defences. I guess that probably take entrenched units is not as hard as it should be. Another possibility is that in a deffencive battle you're forced to a static deffence, while when delaying I always set a portion of my forces dug-in in static possitions, while use other protion (tanks mainly) as a "movil" defence.

What do you do with that Soviet-Purchase-Advantage?

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
RE: pbem points - 10/3/2004 5:29:25 PM   
Goblin

I ignore the Soviet Purchase advantage. Its easy to do, because I knew nothing about it, lol. I don't think it gives the human defender/delayer an advantage anyways. It goes by the points set in preferences, IIRC.

Goblin

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 5
RE: pbem points - 10/7/2004 7:07:31 AM   
Major Destruction

If I am playing somebody new I generally use equal points for both sides and go from there.
When playing old friends, I will sometimes offer ridiculous odds simply for the challenge.

It is a game, remember. I am not out to win at any cost. I want to have a good battle. I want to have fun with this.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 6
RE: pbem points - 10/7/2004 7:36:49 AM   
Huffy

I don't know if this holds true...as in play by E-mail,...we play on internet,..or LAN...and we usally plat even points..I let them pick time and month,...and turns..and just pick what you got...and play...
and in the end...just have fun...it is all about that...

take care,
Huffy

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> pbem points Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI