Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 1/14/2002 9:54:00 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys UV is very different game and engine design over BOB or BTR. We will be showing some new screenshot very shortly.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 61
- 1/16/2002 4:27:00 AM   
FlightDoc

I hope it is not too different a game as far as the ideas go compared to 12'o clock high. That is a great game that could just use a better interface!

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 62
- 1/16/2002 11:41:00 PM   
Charles2222

www.wargamer.com has an article as of yesterday, that has details of the release date, as well as screenshots.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 63
- 1/19/2002 3:25:00 PM   
Blackacre

Okay, okay, okay. Computers = Graphics. Otherwise, go back to board games. I made my way to Matrix by way of the attrocious (sp?) review at Gamespot for Matrix's Fortress Europe. What is the allure, exactly, of this Pacific War game? The graphics look like something I could do over the weekend, much worse than the original Panzer General of like a decade ago. Is Matrix something like the game version of Linux (sp?), something peeps root for just to have some variety in the gameworld? If not, it looks like some kind of impala with all the leopards, cheetahs and lions of the war game world circling. Please educate me if I'm wrong. =D Peace out...

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 64
- 1/19/2002 6:36:00 PM   
USSMaine

Well for me, I am far more interested in the topic than the graphics and I am much more interested in functional graphics. This is not Duke Nukem 3d or whatever the latest and greatest 1st person shooter is out there. I personally found the graphics very appealing for the type of gaming I like best. For example the silhouttes of the ships were very nicely done in my opinion. There was a definite difference between the various classes of ships and destroyers and I will admit I have no idea which cruisers carried float planes amidships rather than the stern but that was reflected well in the graphics. I feel the reason for a lot of the excitement can be derived from the lack of titles covering this subject matter. What is the last game covering operational surface/carrier battles in the South Pacific ? Carrier Strike and Carriers at War come to my mind but those ran on my 386 which is out back in cold storage. Sorry to ramble on

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 65
- 1/19/2002 11:50:00 PM   
Paul Goodman

Hmmm, I must have low expectations. I thought the graphics looked great. Made me mad at Matrix for wasting their time on Fortress Europe. Although interesting, I am not looking for an animated graphic of the battle line plowing through a full gale. Get the Victory at Sea tapes and play them. The U.S. Navy issued a small book of photographs right after the end of the war. One of those photographs showed a long line of fleet carriers anchored beam to beam in the Ulithi lagoon. The caption was simply "Murderers Row." Brave men in fast ships going in harms way. That's the interest in this game. Paul

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 66
- 1/20/2002 3:19:00 AM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

Originally posted by Blackacre:
Okay, okay, okay. Computers = Graphics. Otherwise, go back to board games. I made my way to Matrix by way of the attrocious (sp?) review at Gamespot for Matrix's Fortress Europe. What is the allure, exactly, of this Pacific War game? The graphics look like something I could do over the weekend, much worse than the original Panzer General of like a decade ago. Is Matrix something like the game version of Linux (sp?), something peeps root for just to have some variety in the gameworld? If not, it looks like some kind of impala with all the leopards, cheetahs and lions of the war game world circling. Please educate me if I'm wrong. =D Peace out...
Matrix Games products require using your brain rather than your reflexes. If you want to go further, you might compare it to the minimilist movement in music and art. More is not always better. Matrix gamers are looking for an experience that is pleasing visually but primarily cerebral, IMHO.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 67
- 1/20/2002 5:30:00 AM   
Kent Pfeiffer

Who exactly are these "leopards, cheetahs, and lions of the wargaming world". I'd say the graphics for UV are pretty comparable any recent wargame, better than most, in fact.

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 68
- 1/20/2002 7:41:00 AM   
Grouchy

Graphics looked good imo. Nice, very clear, functional and also a lot of details. And I Agree with JW's and those other posts. It's the main reason why I buy and play this kind of games. What worries me more is that I'm pretty sure that after this game we have to wait another 10 years before we see another UV (or pacific war or War in Russia) being published So everyone who is working at this game, take your time, do it right, because in 2010 we still playing it! [ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Grouchy ]

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 69
- 1/20/2002 10:00:00 AM   
Blackacre

I have to apologize, I was a little tipsy when I posted the above comment, didn't mean to be so harsh, heh. I have a great interest in the WWII Pacific Theater, as I spent several years on a tiny pacific isle (3 miles X .5 miles) as a kid, one that the Japanese were kicked off of, Kwajalein. When I was there, we could still walk out on the reef at low tide and find expended ammo, bomb framents, etc. On occasions, rifles, etc. were still unearthed. Even bodies. Our sponsor there found an old Japanese machine gun and had it on display in his living room, but I can't remember the type. Not to mention the sunk LST's, etc., around the lagoon that were available for diving. I would LOVE to get my hands on a game that comes close to what UV hopes to be. I was quite struck, tho, by the dated graphics, a similar criticism leveled by many reviewers against Fortress Europe. Graphics have come a long way from the 2D screenshots I have seen so far, and good graphics always enhance gameplay. I'm not talking about state-of-the-art stuff found in the latest Castle Wolfenstein, or even that in Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot or even Empire Earth, but at least I think graphics along the Civilization line of titles stuff or heck, even something along the lines of what we saw in Pacific General a few years back, to stay sorta within the genre. The years-old Operational Art of War, with its very limited graphics, is another example of what should at the very least be considered a minimalist effort with regard to graphics. My two cents. =D

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 70
- 1/20/2002 11:25:00 AM   
Nimits

About those Scenarios, is "Yamamoto's Prophecy" a Midway Scenario? Also, will there be a Central Pacific map/maps in the game?

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 71
- 1/20/2002 8:43:00 PM   
Paul Goodman

Gee, Grouchy, I'm not at all worried about waiting ten years for the next game. I'm worried about waiting ten years for this one! Paul

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 72
- 1/21/2002 10:06:00 AM   
Joel Billings

Yamamoto's Prophecy is a scenario that begins on June 1, 1942 and runs to the end of 1943. It gives players the historical forces as of June 1 and assumes a historical Midway battle and result so surviving carriers from both sides begin to appear in the South Pacific as they did historically after Midway. As for 10 years for the next game, let's hope not. Maybe not another South Pacific game for 10 years, but we hope to do a lot of other games during those years. Joel

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 73
- 1/27/2002 8:22:00 PM   
pdyers

Catdaddy
Take some Alka-Seltzer for that Belly ake

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 74
- 1/30/2002 12:41:00 AM   
New York Jets

Having spent hours pouring over the map for Battleline's old title "Flat Top" with one of my old wargaming buddies, I must say this. I can't wait for this game to release. I think the screen shots look wonderful. As for the gripes about graphics, FUHGEDDABOUTIT! It's about the gameplay, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, one of my old wargaming buddies just got his first (yes first) computer. We are already planning when to make time for this title when it releases. I will pre-order this as soon as Matrix starts taking them.

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to mas27)
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI