Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comments on the 8.3 Patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Comments on the 8.3 Patch Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/18/2004 3:36:38 AM   
KG Erwin

This replaces the old version 8.2 comments, which I unpinned and are now in the forum archives. This new thread is for comments on the 8.3 patch, which includes some updated scenarios and free version campaigns.

Post #: 1
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/18/2004 4:00:06 AM   
Alby

im seeing the infrantry change colors of uniform when they take casualties
in long camapign have I only seen this.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/18/2004 6:16:05 AM   
KG Erwin

Alby, I've seen the same thing, but I can't explain it. It may have an unintended benefit, as you can quickly tell which units have taken hits. I play with all units numbered, so there's no problem in differentiating the good guys from the bad guys.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 3
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/18/2004 8:38:37 PM   
m10bob

My German 75L70 and 88L56 guns used to have very distinctive soundfiles.(Is it possible I had "corrupted" the SPWAW files with those of Panzer Leo's H2h"?)..On my old harddrive,I had both files on my cpu..Truthfully,I liked the H2H versions of the sound and just ASSUMED Matrixgames had adopted them..
Very much like the improved OOB's,especially I&R units and A&P troops..

< Message edited by m10bob -- 10/18/2004 1:40:59 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/18/2004 10:19:52 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

My German 75L70 and 88L56 guns used to have very distinctive soundfiles.(Is it possible I had "corrupted" the SPWAW files with those of Panzer Leo's H2h"?)..On my old harddrive,I had both files on my cpu..Truthfully,I liked the H2H versions of the sound and just ASSUMED Matrixgames had adopted them..

H2H uses different sounds for those weapons
at least for the 88

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/18/2004 11:11:46 PM   
m10bob

Thanks Alby..(Now I just need to finagle somebody to e-mail those 2 sound files to me????)

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 6
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 4:28:59 AM   
tracer

Here's the corresponding sound files for those weapons:

• 88L56 = 909, 910 and 911
  • 75L70 = 986, 987 and 988

UnZipped, those 6 files are about 4mb.

When I checked in v8.3 both had zero entered in the 'sound' box, so I'm guessing they use the generic sound for their 'class' (i.e.: 06-Medium gun and 07-Large gun).

Jim NSB

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 5:54:38 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

I'm glad somebody likes them

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 6:44:19 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Destruction

quote:

I'm glad somebody likes them

As I recall, m10bob, you were the man who lobbied for the inclusion of these units, so now you have them. Major Destruction added these, so he deserves the kudos for doing the work.

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 9
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 4:31:51 PM   
robot

Whats I&R units and A&P troops if i may ask.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 4:44:25 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: tracer

Here's the corresponding sound files for those weapons:

• 88L56 = 909, 910 and 911
  • 75L70 = 986, 987 and 988

UnZipped, those 6 files are about 4mb.

When I checked in v8.3 both had zero entered in the 'sound' box, so I'm guessing they use the generic sound for their 'class' (i.e.: 06-Medium gun and 07-Large gun).

be advised, if you use your editor to make these sounds play for a particular weapon, you will get an OOB error message in pbem and online games.
what i did was just save the old sounds somewhere and renamed the 900
numbered sounds to match the weapon I wanted it to correspond with.

< Message edited by Alby -- 10/19/2004 9:44:46 AM >

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 11
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 4:45:37 PM   
Alby

I was curious about those too
quote:

ORIGINAL: robot

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 12
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 5:09:50 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: robot

I & R: Intelligence & Reconnaissance Platoon--attached to the HQ Company at US Infantry Regiment level.

A & P: Ammunition & Pioneer Platoon--attached to the HQ Company at US Infantry Battalion level.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/19/2004 10:11:38 AM >

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 13
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 6:26:03 PM   
Alby

Thanks

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 14
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 6:29:16 PM   
robot

Thanks Gunny

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 15
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 7:24:05 PM   
m10bob

Until now,SP genre games had fictionalised the scouting efforts of American units by including "scouts" in the Infantry Company formations.In fact,those scouts were part of their own formation called the I&R platoon,and while they were commonly part of a company,they were assigned from higher echelon(as Gunny stated).
If you ever read anything about Infantry tactics in Europe,you probably came across the term and wondered what it was.It was indeed a major grunt component of every Division,Regiment,and Bn,and could be called upon as ad hoc Infantry reinforcements,(as could the A&P unit).
Since they were mobile,they both easily performed the mission of setting up roadblocks quicker than a larger formation could.
The American army maintained continuous contact with the enemy by always "stretching out" with the I&R units,so higher echelon always(supposedly) knew where the enemy was.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 16
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 10:39:25 PM   
Kristo Vaher

Yeah nice that 8.3 is out... Just where the heck am I supposed to download it from!? Website has no links, and I dont have Steel Panthers installed to use update thingy. So where? Its supposed to be a small file, but most likely NOT small enough that I cant notice it.

(Just using an external HDD for all my patches for different games, and Im storing patches there for games that I own yet dont have installed)

So where is it!?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/19/2004 11:48:35 PM   
m10bob

Go to the "members area" and download the patch from there.The patch does not take long..

(in reply to Kristo Vaher)
Post #: 18
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/20/2004 12:33:33 AM   
KG Erwin

m10bob, thanks for that description of those units' role--a famous example is the heroic stand of Lt. Joseph Bouck's I & R Platoon, 394th Infantry Regiment against elements of the German 3rd Parachute Division near Lanzerath during the opening stages of the Battle of the Bulge. This episode is well-described in Charles MacDonald's "A Time for Trumpets".

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 19
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/20/2004 2:10:29 AM   
VikingNo2

I went to the member area I can't find the patch, someone please help. Why can't it just be simple

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 20
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/20/2004 5:01:39 AM   
KG Erwin

C'mon Viking, this is all part of the fun--you must have a valid Matrix Member Log-in : it is NOT the same as your forum name. I had to establish one of these, too.

After you log-in, click on the "retail" hotlink of "Steel Panthers:World at War" and you'll be taken to the patch download page.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 21
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/20/2004 7:13:31 PM   
Kristo Vaher

But could you tell me why why w h y w h y WHY WHY WHY W H Y W H Y WHY THE HELL!?

Whats the friggin point!? EVERY GAME OUT THERE DOES NOT REQUIRE some special login members area BS. Ive PAID for the product and as far as I know its EULA did NOT tell me that I require some damned registration to obtain product updates.

I do NOT want to register myself and my email at some friggin place to get a patch to a product which I OWN!

Damn it pisses me off... Ban me for it if you wish, dont care. Matrix Games has gone to hell.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 22
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/20/2004 11:42:15 PM   
#Vassago

Chill dude...

And I though I was short temperred...maybe they just want people to login for all their games to get updates and give a good reason for pirates to buy the game instead of downloading for free. Of course for SPWAW this applies more or less since the basic game has always been free from Matrix Games, but I do understand why they would want to standardize the process...much simpler to update the web site...which btw is always a nightmare even if you change just a small detail, that`s true for any web site.

Simple: You pay you = you get the updates, you don't pay = you don't get the updates.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kristo Vaher

But could you tell me why why w h y w h y WHY WHY WHY W H Y W H Y WHY THE HELL!?

Whats the friggin point!? EVERY GAME OUT THERE DOES NOT REQUIRE some special login members area BS. Ive PAID for the product and as far as I know its EULA did NOT tell me that I require some damned registration to obtain product updates.

I do NOT want to register myself and my email at some friggin place to get a patch to a product which I OWN!

Damn it pisses me off... Ban me for it if you wish, dont care. Matrix Games has gone to hell.

Post #: 23
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/20/2004 11:47:22 PM   
Goblin

What happened to True Update then?

Goblin

(in reply to #Vassago)
Post #: 24
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/21/2004 12:50:00 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

What happened to True Update then?

Goblin

It wasn't much of an ordeal to go register and DL through the Members area, but I too wonder what the heck true update is there for, then?

SP:WaW is a bit special, but for ordinary retail games, all pirated versions (almost) include some kind of hack to the game .exe file. Any and all patches include a new .exe, which renders the pirated version useless...until someone hacks the new file.

Uh, makes little sense but that's the only reason I can see why the true update is NOT used?

Got StuG?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 25
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/21/2004 9:15:59 AM   
Kristo Vaher

The situation is going as much Kaboom as did the true update. I was just congratulated by a few people through private messages on my last post. Nice to have some supporters on this issue.

Nevertheless, this is crazy. This IS matrix games. Thanks for the years of SPWaW, the previous user friendly presentation and great gameplay. But requiruing to REGISTER to GET A FRIGGIN PATCH and not an entire game is JUST PLAIN STUPID. I AM already registered HERE, now I need TWO accounts on Matrix Games accountlists. NO thank you. The patch will be available through other resources soon enough anyway.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 26
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/21/2004 10:30:32 AM   
Kristo Vaher

The damned situation does NOT seem to change. What the hell is wrong with MG!?!?

I now decided to register and get the patch without waiting for the damned patch appearance on other external websites or links by fellow gamers.

I registered, entered my email, the thing I hate the most. They told me to check my email for my passwd. Nothing. Told them I lost my passwd, and they "said" they resent it. Nothing. Thats after thirty minutes. I do NOT have dsl connection and can access the net on my school systems only, sending data to my usb data storage. Now its nothing.

Ive lost all the respect Ive ever had for Matrix Games. There are far better companies out there than this pile of selfish crap.

Bye.

Post #: 27
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/21/2004 3:27:49 PM   
robot

Where the hell do you guys get off at. Matrix asks us to register for a patch so what. The dam game is free and has always been free. So what its a little inconveient and takes 15 minutes of your time. You dont want the patch or takes too much of your time. Then play the dam game without the patch. What does something being added to 2 or 3 oob list s effect the playability anyway.

Matrix has over the years worked hard to be the game every one wants. Then because they leave out some obscure weapon or formation the same belly achers want to whine. Because a tank has a MM of thickness wrong some one jumps up and says matrix sucks. Jesus guys if you dont like the game enough to whine and cry every time matrix trys to fix something. Then go to the store and get the game you really want to play. Or better still get ahold of me and ill give you some of the usless games i have in my closet. The ones that i paid big bucks for that have never been worth a dam.

It sounds like a bunch of kids crying about who gets too bat first. You dont like what matrix does then dont play the game. Go somewhere else and belly ache. SPWAW IS FREE FREE The add on mega campaigns are the only thing that costs. None of the updates cost only in time and effort.

Post #: 28
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/21/2004 4:04:25 PM   
Kristo Vaher

I have bought SPWaW so it did not come free to me. You would have SEEN this when you would have READ my previous posts.

And I TRIED to register to this members BS, did not WORK since the mail with the password was NOT SENT even if I had RETRIED PLENTY of times, it does NOT get through to @solo mail.

However, I found websites to grab the patch without problems, and got it finally. NO THANKS TO MG for that one.

And liking MATRIX GAMES and liking the GAME are two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS. I LOVE SPWaW, have PAID my bucks for it, LOVING megacampaigns. But frankly the support requiring me to do a separate registration is plain crap.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 29
RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch - 10/21/2004 6:11:28 PM   
robot

You still dont understand do you Kristo. You bought the mega campaigns. You did not buy SPWAW. It is free and only it is free. If you wanted it on disk. Then you may have paid a slight fee for that. You did not pay anything for SPWAW. Matrix is not allowed to charge anything for the game. That is per an agreement with the original makers.

I am sorry if you have problems with getting your email. But again that is not becuse of anything matrix has done. When i went and did the log in thing i had my password in less then a minute. Also had the patch installed in less then 10 minutes or near there. Thats not much hassles or wasted time for a great free game like this.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Comments on the 8.3 Patch Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI