Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/4/2004 12:48:41 AM   
POTEMKIN

Hi.
My name is Adrian
I actually live in SOuth Africa. I started out on a Demo of Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles. I lost that one in a freak CD ROM accident though and spent the next few months mourning my dearly departed (Favourite) game, untill I got SP WAW.
We are really out in the boonies here so when I got a chance to go online I immediatly decided to get a move-on to the matrix site. BTW I live in the boonies, its not that the whole country is backwards like the rest of Africa.

K.O.T.L.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 61
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/5/2004 6:48:13 AM   
pappasmurf

Holla My name is jason and I am new to SP WAW but loved SPII and III. Tried other turn based games and didn't much care for em (east front and west front). I like the feel of SP WaW but the pre written senerios make you use over watch ( was used to PZG were speed mattered)

I am a former US Army tanker and have played table top gaming for years ( ASl, battletech, and Challanger)

(in reply to POTEMKIN)
Post #: 62
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/5/2004 7:09:05 AM   
KG Erwin

Welcome aboard, Jason. If you like armor battles, you will find that SPWaW is a pretty good simulation of WWII-era conditions. Yes, overwatch IS important. Simply charging headlong into the enemy, Balaclava-style, will lose you many AFVs. The key to this game is mastering combined-arms combat. Every weapon has its place, and it may take some time to learn this. You're no longer a tanker--you're now a company or battalion commander. Make yourself at home and don't hesitate to make critical comments or ask questions.

(in reply to pappasmurf)
Post #: 63
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/8/2004 8:40:57 PM   
mckenzie

Hello everyone. Brand new to the forums, but have been playing Steel Panthers for many years, ever since I bought the first one in those ancient days, when 88s ruled because the third shot was always 99% accurate... oh wait, they still rule!

Now the main reason I joined up was to report a ?bug with the new SPWAW 8.20 random campaign generator, and to ask for possible help and solutions. Whenever I try to generate a random campaign running from September '39 to June '45, 124 battles (yes I want to fight every month so I get to use all the equipment!), after the third or fourth battle I sent sent directly to April 1945, fighting alongside US troops against Russians in Leipzig!!! This has happened every time in the four campaigns I have tried so far, and it is very annoying, as SPWAW is otherwise an excellent game. My veteran Panzer IVs (IVc) are good, but not against T-34/85s and IS-2s...

Reloading and trying again for another scenario does not solve the problem, and everything else I have tried so far has not been able to circumvent this problem.

If someone knows a solution to this problem I would be very grateful (it is very frustrating!). Is there some file I have to change or delete to avoid this bug?

When I can find some free time (in a continuous stretch) I think I'll find some players online to play against, as the AI isn't much of a challenge... although I get to try amusing tactics like employing Sturmtigers to clear buildings (historically never happened) or paradropping infantry on top of enemy tanks to assault them...

If anyone can solve the aforementioned problem for me they will have my eternal gratitude :P

Lieutenant General Timothy McKenzie

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 64
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/10/2004 1:34:14 AM   
N K V

Reporting as ordered sir!

I haven't read these forums for several years now, but after a casual visit to this
site I saw a revelation: 8.20. I became a believer again and after a download I
decided to register to forums too.

My eariler experience includes all versions of SP and Panzer General and its
sequels and derivations.

What else? I'm finnish (like there wasn't enough us already ) but hopefully my
writing is understandable.

(in reply to mckenzie)
Post #: 65
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/10/2004 2:08:08 AM   
pappasmurf

Welcome

(in reply to N K V)
Post #: 66
Cardinal Smurf enters stage left - 10/11/2004 11:50:49 PM   
cardinalsmurf

Alrighty then:

I am posting here to sort of get my feet wet. I came here in hopes to find opponents around my speed for SP:WaW. I just downloaded it about 2 days ago and I am impressed with its stability and scope.

I am 34, no military background. When I was a wee lad (about 8) I started building plastic models. I started with the usual snap-together types from Monogram and Revell. You know the types: Mustang, Lamborghini, Dukes of Hazzard Dodge Charger et al. Well, across the street from Gramma's place was a small hole-in-the-wall shop that sold virtually nothing but military models called Miilitary Hobbies. This was in Orange, CA, and last I checked (about 2 years ago) it was still there and still being run by the same old Japanese man whom I think was once in WW2, but I never verified that. Needless to say, after constrcuting my first PzKwIV I was hooked.

Later, around age 11 and living in Livermore, CA, I acquired from an odball gift shop across the street a copy of Panzer Blitz. I even recall the Opel Blitz I was constructing at the time and learning how to make mud by combining baby powder and brown paint. Seems so long ago (1981). After that I moved onwards to other games. But, when it came to Squad Leader, that was the ultimate for me. Because of time and budget constraints I never got into ASL sadly. And now that I could, with games like SP:WaW about, I no longer see the point. This is so much easier.

Around 1995 I got my fist PC. So I have an avid PC-gaming habit as well. So for me SP:WaW is a side-thing. My current game is Call of Duty: United Offensive.

Anyway, I think I am probably looking for other beginner level players to compete with and possibly higher level players to show me a thing or two about tactics.

Thanks!

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 67
RE: Cardinal Smurf enters stage left - 10/13/2004 1:50:25 AM   
pappasmurf

I don't remeber you from the village ( smurf refrence ) but hey welcome. You wnaitng to do online or e-mail?

(in reply to cardinalsmurf)
Post #: 68
RE: Cardinal Smurf enters stage left - 10/15/2004 7:07:33 AM   
KG Erwin

I wanna see an AAR on pappasmurf vs cardinalsmurf. A Smurfmageddon? A consmurfrontation? A knocksmurf, dragsmurf, bloodsmurfy fight to the smurfdeath? Sounds good to me.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/15/2004 12:08:19 AM >

(in reply to pappasmurf)
Post #: 69
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/28/2004 4:11:13 AM   
daedlanth

Hello, I'm glad that I finally got around to this! I am a 31 yr old gaming nut. I started playing SSI stuff when they released Panzer General and I have been a devoted fan ever since. My first shot at Steel Panthers was horrible due to driver problems, so I let it go for a while. Those days are now gone and it looks like I have a new challenge!
I am looking for the companion file to the tutorial that starts with wild Bill's little map. (hey I'll be cruising this site tonight so...) I really want to drag that 57mm forward into the brush but I cannot get it hooked up, and the hauler will not move into it's hex to be close enough. Argh!. I got mad, so I charged in, the battle ended in 5 turns. I love the smoky battlefield! 56-96 2popped wolverines, 2popped shermans, marginal victory. Oh well
I have studied military history, strategy, tactics, and weapons in depth for many years. Maybe I'll make a campaign some day for a game engine, or help on a team.
Well I've gotta go, I have some enemy troops to demoralize!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 70
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/28/2004 2:33:20 PM   
robot

To move 2 units into same space hold down shift key. Enjoy i have for over 5 years.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to daedlanth)
Post #: 71
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/29/2004 12:26:59 AM   
n8

Hi
I'm so glad to find the game / community of steel panthers. When younger a group of us played several different games (gamma world, car wars, traveller) but like most stories I've seen none of my friends would even look at "arab-israeli wars". alone with my historical combat simulation fixation it eventually made it's way into the closet. had been digging around for a computer hex game to play for a while. started w ver 7.1 and been enjoying (or obsessing, according to non playing friends) for a while. A top shelf game, with a great price tag. been tuanting my room mates to get into recently, almost there. Steel panthers and it's supporting community have weened me off the turn over of games in my system. Some games got boring quick, others boring right out of the box. Steel panthers is the only game on my system for months now. could use pointers to good tactics info.
Thank you steel panthers and friends.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 72
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/6/2004 2:04:21 PM   
seahay

Hello

New to SPWAW, but eager to get up to speed. Delighted to see such a engaged community.

(in reply to n8)
Post #: 73
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/7/2004 11:06:41 AM   
Stark

Hi all

I haven't played much of SPWaW in a few years now but I still have my v2.1 sitting quietly on my hard drive from back in '00 when it was downloaded. I'll be downloading the newest version ASAP! Maybe I should keep v 2.1 for that Nostalgia feeling? Game On!

(in reply to seahay)
Post #: 74
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/2/2004 9:04:52 AM   
Klencks

I have been a wargamer for years . Have enjoyed playing squad leader but the rules of ASL hammered me. Purchased Steel Panthers Arsenal way back when annd was blown away.Play alot of SPWAW solitaire but the AI is a Dummy.Hope to play via email sure to give my tactics an ass kicking but looking forward to the challenge. Klencks

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 75
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/4/2004 7:23:40 AM   
kyleb

I'm a lifelong military history buff and avid strategy computer game player. I've been in the Navy Supply Corps for the past 13 years. Lots of sea time and lots of beer in strange places!

I recently rediscovered Steel Panthers. I loved the old game, but was forced to go cold turkey when I moved up to a Win 98 machine and I couldn't run the old Win 3.1 game anymore.

Anyway, since I restarted playing SP I have noticed that my OPfire never causes casualties. In the old game I could pop advancing tanks with 88s or my tanks, but now it never happens. There is also never any damage done to infantry advancing on my line of tanks. I find it unbelievable, especially since I was playing Germany and was facing the Poles. Is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong.

I also noticed the following in one battle of a W. Europe campaign: I laid mines. The first unit to encounter the minefield was Polish Uhlan cavalry. After that, all advancing forces were miraculously Polish engineering squads. I counted at least 30 squads. Must have been every engineer in the Polish army. Combined with the inability to cause casualties with OPfire from tanks, gun emplacements and 88s led to a draw with a significant amount of my tanks destroyed. Very annoying. This battle should have been a slam dunk slaughter of the infantry advancing over open ground towards three entrenched battle lines of heavy forces.

Any suggestions?

KyleB

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 76
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/4/2004 3:20:57 PM   
robot

Dont know what are how you deployed your mines. But when i play a defend as Germany. Hardly anything gets thru my minefield. I also never buy more then 70 mines and 2 batteries of 150s. This is the type of battle i get well in the long campaign. Even with 30 squads of engineers they never seem to be able to open the minefield for the polish tanks. At least 30 tanks will be lost in the mine field alone. My 88s will take them out at 1000 yards most of the time. The sig 150 cut large holes in the advancing infantry.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to kyleb)
Post #: 77
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/6/2004 9:32:03 PM   
EPBlade

Hi...

I own the 3 MC (LV, DF, Japs) with version 7.2

1) What steps i need to up grade to 8.3
2) The MC can work in 8.3 ???

Thanks a lot

Bet The Best

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 78
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/12/2004 1:20:05 PM   
Bladrian

@kyleb:

Which version are you referring to?

8.2 had major problems ... 8.3 looks good. and 7.1 is extremely stable - a splendid standby.

@Potemkin:

Hoezit, bru!

My name is ... Also Adrian, and I ... also live in South Africa. Where are you, boet?

< Message edited by Bladrian -- 12/12/2004 11:21:53 AM >

A .22 LR entering the eye socket is more incapacitating than a .44 magnum shattering the wrist.

(in reply to EPBlade)
Post #: 79
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/13/2004 10:17:49 PM   
EPBlade

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bladrian

@kyleb:

Which version are you referring to?

8.2 had major problems ... 8.3 looks good. and 7.1 is extremely stable - a splendid standby.

@Potemkin:

Hoezit, bru!

My name is ... Also Adrian, and I ... also live in South Africa. Where are you, boet?

Hi Adrian,

I have installed 7.1 and the 3 Mega Camp. (DF,LV,Japs)
if i download the 8.3 version the 3 mega c. works.....??? after installing again or are not compatible.....????

My Name is Emilio / Country Mexico, Zone Tijuana = Border city with San Diego CA.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bladrian)
Post #: 80
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/15/2004 9:52:25 PM   
Danny Boy

Blimey, The place is crawling with Yanks!

Not too many of us Brits on the forum, so I think I'll stick my oar in and help keep the limited numbers up.

Name's Nick Owen, born in '62.
Fascinated by military history since I was old enough to watch the news on TV. Most of it seemed to be about US Soldiers tramping through rice paddies and jungle. [Cue b&w scenes of mayhem as a fighter drops napalm onto a treeline]. Well that got me hooked and I suppose my main areas of interest now are Indo China since 1945 (especially the role played by the ex Nazis in the Foreign Legion [The Devils Guard]), Nato/Warpac late 70's early 80's and WW2.

Started off gaming with Airfix 1/72nd miniature plastic soldiers and progressed through cardboard to Steel Panthers '96/'97. I play a lot of PC games when I have the opportunity (wife and three small kids), however, out of all the games we've played over the years, how many have endured? Only SP for me. I still have all my old boxes and packaging...Ebay in 10 years time here I come!

SPWaW and both SPWW2 & SPMBT are where I spend most of my gaming hours. I hope to be able to play PBEM games now that I've joined the community...all I have to do now is get the damned latest version to work!!!! Any help on my post at the tech thread would be much appreciated.

Apart from that... I'd just like to say that on the several trips I have made to the USA, everyone I have met has been very pleasant, very polite and good fun. However...you guys have got to learn how to make a decent car!

Cheers!

Nick

... "'Broadsword', stop shagging around and get on with the mission!"

(in reply to POTEMKIN)
Post #: 81
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/18/2004 12:07:42 AM   
KG Erwin

Hi, DannyBoy, I want to give you a formal welcome to the community. There are a few Brits here, some of whom are on the Matrix staff (including tech wiz Shaun Wallace.)

If you want to contribute to designing new scenarios, I might suggest the overlooked Burma campaign. You will soon learn that I am an ardent USMC fan, but our British allies did their part in contributing to the victory over Imperial Japan.

As with all the new members, we're glad to have you here.

(in reply to Danny Boy)
Post #: 82
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/18/2004 5:56:44 PM   
there_goes_the_yorktown

Hey all

got sick of getting creamed by the IJN in UV so jumped ship. Downloaded this recently when I (finally) caught up with rest of the world and went online.I used to play SP3 till my eyes bled. Damn fine update but I can't function without helo observers for my massed ranks of arty. Come to think of it I still haven't worked out how to use the artillery, where do you buy the long toms?.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 83
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/18/2004 7:33:09 PM   
Bladrian

quote:

ORIGINAL: there_goes_the_yorktown

Hey all

got sick of getting creamed by the IJN in UV so jumped ship. Downloaded this recently when I (finally) caught up with rest of the world and went online.I used to play SP3 till my eyes bled. Damn fine update but I can't function without helo observers for my massed ranks of arty. Come to think of it I still haven't worked out how to use the artillery, where do you buy the long toms?.

Long Toms? Us Boers have the lien on those beauties. Estcourt, Kimberley ... places like that.

A .22 LR entering the eye socket is more incapacitating than a .44 magnum shattering the wrist.

(in reply to there_goes_the_yorktown)
Post #: 84
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/18/2004 8:32:42 PM   
KG Erwin

Long Toms? You mean those wonderful American inventions, otherwise known as the one-five-fives? Click on nation in the purchase screen, and check into the US Army database.

(in reply to POTEMKIN)
Post #: 85
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/19/2004 8:30:57 AM   
Bladrian

I thought 'yorktown' was referring to these beauties ...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 86
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/31/2004 10:29:22 PM   
thomjr1967

Thom Ross,US Army. Soldier since the age of 17 and just now getting to this game.....go figure. Deploying on the 5th of Jan. Will be my 3rd tour there. Will be able to check in from time to time.

(in reply to POTEMKIN)
Post #: 87
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/2/2005 4:01:20 AM   
KNomad

Welcome aboard Thom! Hope you enjoy the game and our community.

Fight the good fight!

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to thomjr1967)
Post #: 88
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/4/2005 2:49:25 AM   
Baneman

Reckon I'd better face the music here...

I'm from South Africa ( from cursory reading, there seem to be a fair few of us here ), although I've been living in London for the last 7-8 years and am about to get my UK citizenship Wheee !

I've always loved games, but soon after leaving school I got into miniatures wargaming, Napoleonics and Ancients. I'm one of those saddos who really enjoys painting the little 15mm guys ( 25mm as well, but that was mostly D&D figures ) - I find it really relaxing.

I soon moved into WWII gaming as well ( had a friend with a large collection of 1/72nd scale WWII figures ). We used to play games in which all AT shots had to be accurately estimated by eye in order to get a hit measuring afterwards - amazing how quickly you're getting first time hits at ranges of 3-4 metres after a little practice. He got me into Squad Leader and naturally, when Steel Panthers the First came out, there was no holding back. I still own all 3 of the original games, then I got the first freeware version ( 5, I think ) and have been upgrading via Matrix Games ever since. I still love SP, although I have to say the Combat Mission games are pretty good too for WWII realism.

I'm quite mad about military history too, greatest interest being Roman and WWI/WWII.

And when I'm not playing SP, I'm usually in the air in Il-2 Sturmovik FB/PF. Oh and the REST of the time, I'm a programmer...

(in reply to KNomad)
Post #: 89
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/9/2005 6:55:14 PM   
Bladrian

As a Boertjie then, you'd better get the Das Reich campaign from the Depot. There's a South African influence in there ...

(in reply to Baneman)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI