Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Worst Terrain You've Fought On?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Worst Terrain You've Fought On? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Worst Terrain You've Fought On? - 12/18/2004 9:17:21 PM   
KG Erwin

In playing Pacific battles, I've seen my share of jungle and ugly islands, but today the random map is one of the worst battlefields I've ever enountered. The map is narrow, and I'm advancing towards an enemy delaying force. There's a stream that flows northwest to south, clear across the map. In several places the stream is bordered by open swampland, in some places 300 yards wide. In these areas there is no cover whatsoever, and my Marines have to muck their way across. The Japanese are in jungle-covered high ground behind the stream, with some beautiful fields of fire. This reminds me of some of the terrain as described in accounts of the New Britain or Bougainville campaigns. It's festering/stinking swamp and thick jungle--the only thing missing are the mosquitos, snakes and crocodiles. Who would want to fight for such a god-forsaken piece of ground?

What about you guys?

Post #: 1
RE: The Worst Terrain You've Fought On? - 12/18/2004 10:58:59 PM   
robot

The fozen wastelands of Korea. A real **** hole what with frost bite and the constant chatter of your teeth. Never any real sleep. Cant sleep when your constantly shaking.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Worst Terrain You've Fought On? - 12/18/2004 11:31:15 PM   
KG Erwin

Wow, robot, I'd forgotten you've seen the real thing. I was talking about in-game. I certainly feel humbled now.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: The Worst Terrain You've Fought On? - 12/19/2004 8:41:41 AM   
Bladrian

Southern Angola in the rain season. Tne shanas have thick grass, taller than your head, and they muffle sound - some are a kilometer or more across. Get out of them and into the trees and bush, and visibility becomes even more limited. When you hit a contact, quite often the first indication is AK's and RPD's opening up from 5 or 6 meters away.

Gets your attention real fast.

A .22 LR entering the eye socket is more incapacitating than a .44 magnum shattering the wrist.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: The Worst Terrain You've Fought On? - 12/20/2004 9:55:04 PM   
BIASEDHISTORIAN

I am planning to release the scenario "Frozin Chosin" after the holidays. It includes a new map, "Chosin Reservoir", which I can assure you through testing is the worst map that I have every moved units on :)

Your visibility is 4 hexes in the few places you can get an open field of fire. It is composed entirely of cliffs, rocks, boulders, and mixed elavation. Oh there is that little trail going from Yudam to Hagaru...of course there are a few Chinese interested in that road too :)

Being a Marine, Korea has always been my favorite field of study, as it was our finest engagement. I can also tell you that this is the only scene that I have played (tested) were the rate of fire is so intense that your Marines are loading their last clips by move six...that is where it gets really interesting!

Semper Fi!
Kayak

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: The Worst Terrain You've Fought On? - 12/22/2004 5:15:28 PM   
RockinHarry

worst terrain fought on? Surely on of my custom maps... Check Ardennes 44 of mine and you see that terrain in SPWAW can be an enemy too!

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to BIASEDHISTORIAN)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Worst Terrain You've Fought On? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI