Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to invade without casualty

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How to invade without casualty Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 3:02:12 AM   
IKerensky

My opponent just pulled this trick on me and make me ponder so I tried it myself.

To invade without any casualty just unload on a NON-base, road/railroad hex. You will get 0 zero 0 landing casualties and can start your quite short walk to the nearest port/base you want to assault... of course you will have very small supply but ... You can send invasion transport loaded with supply to your attack-destination ...

Of course it make sense, but as the landing phase is before the movement phase there is no way for the defender to quickly bring in some troups to actually fight the landing...

I am still wondering if this is wrong, gamey or plain witty... But the advantage is enormous...

Of course it make you wonder why an empty dot-beach will kill hundred of your boys while the adjacing freaking hill covered by jungle wont...

I am wondering if some change couldn't be made that proscribe disembarking into ennemy controlled hex. Also I guess all hexes in Allied/Japanese territory at start should count as being in A/J ZoC until crossed by ennemytroups.
Post #: 1
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 3:13:17 AM   
Belphegor

Hmm, I never considered it Gamey, but when you put it that way...

Generally I have done it to prevent retreats. I land at Rabaul and behind it. I never really noticed that the other landing didn't take casualties, I just wanted to bag all the allied prisoners when Rabaul fell instead of chasing them all over the island.

My main landing is at the base, but I always land a blocking force wherever possible.

Now I am worried that I shouldn't be doing that.

< Message edited by Belphegor -- 12/22/2004 1:14:52 AM >

(in reply to IKerensky)
Post #: 2
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 3:22:15 AM   
CMDRMCTOAST

If your defender didn't defend well enough then tuff luck,
coastal hexes are free game in my opinion, the japanese
marched dozens of miles as well as the allies from undefended
coastal hexes as well as the allies direct assaults on well defended
positions so it is a realistic strategy.

The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 3
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 3:43:40 AM   
witpqs

It is realistic.

What sounds gamey that people have talked about is landing literally a small handful of troops to prevent a retreat. Land a Bn or more to prevent a retreat, fine.

Land an invasion force at a nice place away from enemy guns, well that's just smart.

(in reply to CMDRMCTOAST)
Post #: 4
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 5:35:23 AM   
Mr.Frag

Nothing stopping you from sending something to dispatch his little toy force to open up your escape path.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 6:30:08 AM   
m10bob

It's not cheating.That's how the Japanese took Singapore,(and how they and the Americans both took and re-took the Phillipines).

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 6
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 7:52:58 AM   
Halsey

This is strictly part of playing the mechanics of the game. Does the AI use this approach? No. Were there any invasions in WWII simulating this? Maybe 2 or 3 in Sicily. That's about it.

The IJA invaded at bases or marched overland from Thailand. The US landed at Lingayen in 1944 (that is a base hex in this game).

All I can really say is that before you start a PBEM game, options for gameplay need to be decided on.

(in reply to IKerensky)
Post #: 7
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 1:22:19 PM   
IKerensky

3 things stop me in fact:

I need to have a free unit or a dividable unit strong enough to do that.

I need to have the time to do that as land movement is make after all others moves in this game , there is no way I can be there fast enough... And I need one more turn before being able to attack.

As they are Japanese landing I will have to exterminate every single of them BEFORE my main base surrender, wich mean I need to bear overwhelming odds, lots of bombing and coastal support to be sure to exterminate 10 japanese guys in one turn.... THey wont retreat, they wont surrender.

Thinking about it we can tell it is "gamey" in the sense that it is a tactic Japanese could use because of a special game mechanic of them ( the never surrender ) but allies cant. Also the fact that AI isn't programmed to use it looks like developper doesnt consider it a valid tactic...

After all if we were supposed to be able to land anywhere we want , why bother making thoses hundreds of dots ? I am pretty sure any coastal hex you are supposed to land can be used as a base, no ?

Last thing that bother me is the free-casualty aspect,wich is not nice at all because it also mean no disruption....

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 8
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 1:32:55 PM   
siRkid

Just because it was not done, does not mean it could not be done. I see nothing wrong with this.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to IKerensky)
Post #: 9
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 1:41:54 PM   
Bobthehatchit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

Just because it was not done, does not mean it could not be done. I see nothing wrong with this.

How are supplies handled in such situations? as the is no where to inload too?

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 10
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 2:35:56 PM   
Halsey

I disagree Kid. The game mechanics allow for operational options that were not employed in WWII. This is one of them. Yes, we should be hindered by the way they did things back then. That's how a gamer gets the flavor of the time period he's playing.

Just an opinion, and I know everyone has them.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 11
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 3:06:05 PM   
Halsey

That's a good question Bob.

Does the computer know to check these non-base hexes for spoilage? Also, what is the rate of spoilage for hexes like this?

(in reply to Bobthehatchit)
Post #: 12
RE: How to invade without casualty - 12/22/2004 3:23:50 PM   
tsimmonds

It's probably handled the same as when you unload supply at an enemy base where you have friendly LCUs; the supply is sucked up directly into the LCUs. Who knows whether there is spoilage though?

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How to invade without casualty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI