Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Map Mod Information

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Map Mod Information Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/22/2004 5:00:36 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subchaser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
It is also hard to do, especially in Japan, which is so crowded with this stuff.

It’s really hard, but it’s possible. I’m also trying to make the map smart, take a look at these samples, it should be interesting for you

Your map looks *fantastic* Andrej, two questions though:

- When it will be available
- Do you plan on making a version without hex outlines at all?

And a third

- Do you plan on teaming up with Andrew (you two being namesakes practically) so that you two produce comprehensive map mod that both looks good and adds new features? Frankly, though Andrew's map is very wellcome, it's simply too ugly for me to look at for like couple hours daily (Andrew, no offense please )

And a fourth, for Ron:

- Any hints how to have two (or more) separate instally of WITP on same PC?

Oleg

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 91
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/22/2004 5:55:55 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

quote:

quote:

It is also hard to do, especially in Japan, which is so crowded with this stuff.

It’s really hard, but it’s possible. I’m also trying to make the map smart, take a look at these samples, it should be interesting for you

And a third

- Do you plan on teaming up with Andrew (you two being namesakes practically) so that you two produce comprehensive map mod that both looks good and adds new features? Frankly, though Andrew's map is very wellcome, it's simply too ugly for me to look at for like couple hours daily (Andrew, no offense please )

And a fourth, for Ron:

- Any hints how to have two (or more) separate instally of WITP on same PC?

Oleg

Oleg, just alter the Sub Directory name when installing. I've got one which is Matrix Games/WITP; another is Matrix Games/War In The Pacific; and another which is Matrix Games/ WITP Tester.

WITP is the one I play with, War In The Pacific is the one which now houses Andrew's Map Mod (got a permanent install as the load/unload feature does not work with WIN 98), and WITP Tester I used as a beta tester.

As to whether Andrew's map is ugly, I beg to differ but I kinda like the nostalgic look it sports. It would be cool if they could make it look like Subchaser's as well because that's a beautiful babe.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 92
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 12:06:27 AM   
Andrew Brown

Unfortunately I am no artist. As I have stated before, my map is not about looks. The reason I made a new map is to get a more accurate one. Having said that I have come to prefer the look of my map over the official one, but then again I am biased

I would be happy to team up with better artists - anyone really - to help improve the map further. Because the map is a series of bitmap files people can make their own map variants and it will not affect the gameplay at all, unless the map data is also changed. So the look of the map is not the most important thing at all. People can use different LOOKING maps with no problems as long as the map data they use is the same. Collaboration is most important for the underlying map data, otherwise there might end up being lots of different map variants, all incompatible.

It is not just artists that can help either. The map can always be improved by making terrain more realistic, transport links more accurate, even adding/moving/removing new bases etc..

Andrew

Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 93
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 12:59:14 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

It is not just artists that can help either. The map can always be improved by making terrain more realistic, transport links more accurate, even adding/moving/removing new bases etc..

You should draw a line somewhere though. WITP is very RAM-intensive application, and although I am not a programmer I guess every additional base, unit, resource and map hex occupies more memory and Windows resources. I mean, are "bases" like Boise, Salt Lake City, Saskatchewan, or features like Lake Manitoba and Winnipeg really necessary in this game? I think they add absolutely nothing to this game. WITP already slows to a crawl on machines with 256 MB memory during replay, so please consider removing unnecesary stuff too (not just adding more and more and more just for the sake of seeing new names on the map)...

O.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 94
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 1:11:00 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

You should draw a line somewhere though. WITP is very RAM-intensive application, and although I am not a programmer I guess every additional base, unit, resource and map hex occupies more memory and Windows resources. I mean, are "bases" like Boise, Salt Lake City, Saskatchewan, or features like Lake Manitoba and Winnipeg really necessary in this game? I think they add absolutely nothing to this game. WITP already slows to a crawl on machines with 256 MB memory during replay, so please consider removing unnecesary stuff too (not just adding more and more and more just for the sake of seeing new names on the map)...

O.

I haven't tested the game or the mod to see whether it slows the game down. I doubt it would by much as there is such a huge amount of data there already. Adding a few new bases should not have much of an impact. Could be interesteing to test though. I doubt that changing the map data itself has any effect at all, though (i.e. Lake Winnipeg, other terrain) as it is only a different version of map data already present.

The 'Salt Lake City' base is actually the 'United States' base, which is already present.

As for the rest, I guess it is a matter of taste. I believe that having an accurate map is very important in a historical simulation. For me it adds quite a lot.

Regards,
Andrew

Post #: 95
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 1:17:56 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Subchaser, I see your modded maps still contain typos from the original version. I trust you'd take care of dreadful typos in spelling of Russian bases yourself but please make godawful TriMcomalee into TriNcomalee (how this went into "print" in the original game is beyond me, as this base is mentioned in like zillion history books), and also Alor Star into Alor Setar.

I'm not sure whether Amboina (original map) is correct or should it be Ambonia (as on your map): I found some WW2 Dutch maps of the DEI on the Internet but they don't cover this particular area.

O.

Post #: 96
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 1:45:50 AM   
Subchaser

quote:

thanks, but I can’t say that this is my map, I’m not Andrew Brown yet :), this is somewhat reworked original map with new fonts and eye-friendly color pattern. there were no plans of posting it actually, at least in its current form, but I may upload it for those who want (or have to) to keep original map… as soon as those morons from telecom company will fix my cable, I’m not mentally ready to upload 70mb+ file via dialup… sorry

quote:

It was done first, grid and everything else was added later. WITNxx - clean map files; WITPxx - smart map, so it’s possible to switch from one variant to another without moving the files.

quote:

And a third

We have already discussed this idea, he has nothing against another way to visualize his map, but close cooperation is impossible cause we’re using different tools. Nevertheless I’m going to remake his map in old good 3D style :) anyway (2D is fine by me, but I feel more comfortably with 3D). After brief observation it seems quite doable to me, it still reminds Earth, so I would say… in January it will be ready… very late in January…

quote:

Subchaser, I see your modded maps still contain typos from the original version. I trust you'd take care of dreadful typos in spelling of Russian bases yourself but please make godawful TriMcomalee into TriNcomalee (how this went into "print" in the original game is beyond me, as this base is mentioned in like zillion history books), and also Alor Star into Alor Setar.

I'm not sure whether Amboina (original map) is correct or should it be Ambonia (as on your map): I found some WW2 Dutch maps of the DEI on the Internet but they don't cover this particular area.

I will, I will . It wasn’t changed intentionally, even Khomsomalsk is still misspelled , this mod was originally started as part of my scenario mod, I was going to correct spellings in data base first and left all errors on map as reminder. I’m waiting for two awesome geo-military monographs, when they’ll arrive I’ll correct everything at once, obvious and possiblemisspellings. Map is stored in PSD format so text layer can be updated in seconds.

Post #: 97
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 1:51:40 AM   
Subchaser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

Great stuff. I wonder, couldn't you actually embed the colour coding into the place name text so as to save space?

Just a thought off the top of my head.

I’ve tried this, it looks bizarre, so I think I will keep that Christmas décor

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 98
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 1:59:17 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

thanks, but I can’t say that this is my map, I’m not Andrew Brown yet :), this is somewhat reworked original map with new fonts and eye-friendly color pattern.

Call me shallow... no, call me *extremely* shallow, but that's more than enough for me (although clearing some typos would be additional bonus). I don't see why all the fuss about Hawaii being say 18 hexes away from Anchorage on map A instead of 19 on map B, while in reality it should be like 17 hexes, but then we'd skew map in some other direction, or something, or whatever.

Obviously any WITP map will have to make some compromises as regards the real life distances, so having that in mind, I just want something nice to stare at, all those hours I spend playing WITP

quote:

there were no plans of posting it actually, at least in its current form, but I may upload it for those who want (or have to) to keep original map… as soon as those morons from telecom company will fix my cable, I’m not mentally ready to upload 70mb+ file via dialup… sorry

Your map looks very nice, and I would like to use it, that's all I got to say. When you deem it finished, and have upload capabilities, please share it with the rest of us.

quote:

We have already discussed this idea, he has nothing against another way to visualize his map, but close cooperation is impossible cause we’re using different tools. Nevertheless I’m going to remake his map in old good 3D style :) anyway (2D is fine by me, but I feel more comfortably with 3D). After brief observation it seems quite doable to me, it still reminds Earth, so I would say… in January it will be ready… very late in January…

Great.

O.

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 99
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 2:33:52 AM   
Andrew Brown

Oleg,

For my map, I have tried to correct as many map names as possible, including the Soviet ones. I got most of the corrected names from the map thread - I think you contributed there yourself.

I will send the list to Subchaser, and I will post it here so that you, or others, can correct it more if necessary.

Regards,
Andrew

Post #: 100
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 1:36:50 PM   
Andrew Brown

Here is the list of name changes I made. Many are just spelling fixes. Several are changes to names which seem more appropriate to me. A few are changed because the base was moved to a new location (effeectively it is a new base, not a changed name):

Old name		New name		Comments
========		========		========
Etorofo Jima		Etorofu

Kunashiri Jima		Kunashiri

Kadima			Kadena 

Okayama			Ise			Moved to new location

Shimuzu			Shimizu

Andaman Island		Port Blair

Taipei			Taihoku

Pyongyang		Heijo

Inch'on			Moppo			Moved to new location

Taejon			Taiden

Pusan			Fusan

Wonsan			Genzan

Hungnam			Seikoshin

Fushan			Fushun

Mutanchiang		Mutankiang

Chiamussu		Kiamusze

Hsinyang		Sinyang

Wuhan			Hankow

Kuikang			Kiukiang

Homan			Honan

Yunan			Tsuyung

Kompong Trach  		Kompong Som

Kratie			Battambang

Siemrem Reap		Siem Reap

Krung Thep		Lop Buri

Bandou			Ban Don

Diamond Harbor		Diamond Harbour

Malir			Hyderabad

Pagan			Meiktila

Mentawi Island		Siberoet Island

Sinkep Island		Singkep

Bulla			Bula

Wasile			Weda

Menado			Manadao

Weigeu			Weigeo

Tagbalarin		Tagbilaran

Siador			Saidor

Finschafen		Finschhafen

Gili Gili		Milne Bay

Reef island		Reef Island

Sura'iro		Takataka

Ndini			Ndeni

Vanikolo		Vanikoro

Utupau			Utupua

Aoba island		Aoba Island

Midway			Midway Island

French Frigate Shoal	French Frigate Shoals

Lihu			Lihue

Moloaki			Molokai

Ikitsuki		Tsushima

Apamama			Abemama

Nanomea Atoll		Nanumea

Nukufetau island	Nukufetau

Funafuti island		Funafuti

Tongatapu Island	Tongatapu

Sitka Island		Sitka

Charter Towers		Charters Towers

Uglahamensk		Nakhodka		Moved to new location

Iman			Imam

Khomsomalsk		Komsomolsk

Blagoveshchensk		Blagovyeschensk

Ohka - Sakhalin		Ohka

Rukhlovo		Skovorodino

Pokrovka		Mogocha

Trimcomalee		Trincomalee		Missed - will put in new version

Post #: 101
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 2:20:05 PM   
von Murrin

Wow, you guys have gone far. How did I miss these last few updates?

For malaria zones, might I suggest something like an orange hex center dot for Andrew's WIF-style maps and an orange island border for Subchaser's? The color is no big deal, I just happen to personally like the color/style combination I just mentioned.

Subchaser, if you take Andrew's data and fit it to the style of map you're drawing, I'll restart again (that would be the 10th time) just to use it. I like both your efforts that much.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

Post #: 102
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 3:25:56 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

Great list Andrew. Please put Alor Setar on it too.

BTW I found WW2 period Dutch maps of DEI somewhere on the net, and Menado is called Manado there, and there are some other name changes as well. Perhaps you'd like to take a look. Let me know at oleg@bug.hr and I'll send them maps to you.

O.

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 103
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 3:37:12 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

quote:

[image]http://user.rol.ru/~subchase/sulawesi.bmp [/image]

[image]http://user.rol.ru/~subchase/Hawaii.bmp [/image]

usa
full screen 1
full screen 2

That looks very good. I like the blue tone and the shallow water adaption.

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 104
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 3:38:37 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

thanks, but I can’t say that this is my map, I’m not Andrew Brown yet :), this is somewhat reworked original map with new fonts and eye-friendly color pattern. there were no plans of posting it actually, at least in its current form, but I may upload it for those who want (or have to) to keep original map… as soon as those morons from telecom company will fix my cable, I’m not mentally ready to upload 70mb+ file via dialup… sorry

quote:

It was done first, grid and everything else was added later. WITNxx - clean map files; WITPxx - smart map, so it’s possible to switch from one variant to another without moving the files.

quote:

And a third

quote:

I will, I will . It wasn’t changed intentionally, even Khomsomalsk is still misspelled , this mod was originally started as part of my scenario mod, I was going to correct spellings in data base first and left all errors on map as reminder. I’m waiting for two awesome geo-military monographs, when they’ll arrive I’ll correct everything at once, obvious and possiblemisspellings. Map is stored in PSD format so text layer can be updated in seconds.

I hope your cable will be fixed soon - I very very much like what you did with your map mod!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 105
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 6:31:10 PM   
Bulldog61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

quote:

[image]http://user.rol.ru/~subchase/sulawesi.bmp [/image]

[image]http://user.rol.ru/~subchase/Hawaii.bmp [/image]

usa
full screen 1
full screen 2

That looks very good. I like the blue tone and the shallow water adaption.

How do I get my hands on the US flag Icons?? This looks way cool.
FYI, I've been testing Andrews maps with my own modded mod which has the USAAF at squadron level so there is quite a few more units and I don't see a speed issue.

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 106
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/23/2004 11:12:50 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Great list Andrew. Please put Alor Setar on it too.

BTW I found WW2 period Dutch maps of DEI somewhere on the net, and Menado is called Manado there, and there are some other name changes as well. Perhaps you'd like to take a look. Let me know at oleg@bug.hr and I'll send them maps to you.

O.

Yes please Oleg, I am interested in any sources. I think it is "Manadao" on my National Geographic historical maps but I will check again.

Post #: 107
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/24/2004 1:40:01 AM   
Subchaser

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeKraemer

Get them at Spooky's.

quote:

FYI, I've been testing Andrews maps with my own modded mod which has the USAAF at squadron level so there is quite a few more units and I don't see a speed issue.

any chance to look at your mod?

(in reply to Bulldog61)
Post #: 108
RE: Map Mod Information - 12/24/2004 2:29:38 AM   
Bulldog61

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeKraemer

Get them at Spooky's.

quote:

any chance to look at your mod?

Sure, Andrews got a copy How should I get you a zipped copy?

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 109
RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 - 12/27/2004 4:38:38 PM   
Scharnhorst

Hi,
there seems to be a bug in the Scen 115. You can create TF's in Clark Field (no port). In my testgame (Jap side) against the computer, there are allied TFs in Clark Field at turn 3 and when I assign Clark Field as "Future Objective" to a LCU, the game crashes to desktop.

Hope you can repair this. Its a great map, much better than the original map.

Scharnhorst

(in reply to Bulldog61)
Post #: 110
RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 - 12/28/2004 1:12:03 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

In case it hasn't been mentioned - Victoria Airbase on the Malay peninsula has no road connection to the north-south railway from Bangkok to Singapore, but there is a short road branching off to nowhere in the hex directly south of Victoria - shouldn't base and road be in the same hex?

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 12/28/2004 11:12:03 AM >

(in reply to Scharnhorst)
Post #: 111
RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 - 12/28/2004 1:18:08 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scharnhorst

Hi,
there seems to be a bug in the Scen 115. You can create TF's in Clark Field (no port). In my testgame (Jap side) against the computer, there are allied TFs in Clark Field at turn 3 and when I assign Clark Field as "Future Objective" to a LCU, the game crashes to desktop.

Hope you can repair this. Its a great map, much better than the original map.

Scharnhorst

Doesn't sound good. I'll check it out.

Thanks,
Andrew

(in reply to Scharnhorst)
Post #: 112
RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 - 12/28/2004 1:20:21 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

In case it hasn't been mentioned - Victoria Airbase on the Malay peninsula has no road connection to the north-south railway from Bangkok to Singapore, but there is a short road branching off to nowhere in the hex directly south of Victoria - shouldn't base and road be in the same hex?

I know that looks odd, but it looks that way on my source map, which is why I drew it that way. If anyone has better map data for this area I would be very interested in seeing it.

Regards,
Andrew

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 113
RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 - 12/29/2004 12:56:38 AM   
Blackhorse

More kudos on a fantastic map ( I just returned from a week-long Christmas Cruise; today was my first opportunity to peruse it.) The transport nets in Australia, North America and Russia are much more realistic.

There should probably be a reef between Ceylon and the mainland, forcing ships to swing around Ceylon when sailing between the east and west coasts of India. According to the Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2004, Columbia University Press:

Palk Strait , 40 to 85 mi (64–137 km) wide, between India and Sri Lanka. It is studded with shoal reefs called Adam's Bridge and by small islands off the Jaffna peninsula. The strait's treacherous waters are avoided by most ships. A train-ferry crosses the strait (c.20 mi/32 km) between Dhanushkodi, India, and Talaimannar, Sri Lanka.

Adam's Bridge or Rama's Bridge , chain of shoals, c.18 mi (30 km) long, in the Palk Strait between India and Sri Lanka. At high tide it is covered by c.4 ft (1.2 m) of water. A steamer ferry links Rameswaram, India, with Mannar, Sri Lanka. According to Hindu legend, the bridge was built to transport Rama, hero of the Ramayana, to the island to rescue his wife from the demon king Ravanna.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 114
RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 - 12/29/2004 5:17:21 AM   
Platoonist

Andrew Brown, I think your map mod is fantastic. This will be the only map I'll use if I ever get my first game under my belt. I really like what you have done to make Darwin and Portland be more accurately represented in the game.

One tiny addition since I dig geographical accuracy too. There is a 7,000 foot high isolated mountain range (The Olympics) just west of Seattle in what is now just a wooded hex. Not sure what the criteria are for mountains but I thought I would point it out if you think it worth including in a future version. Keep up the excellent work!

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 115
Inland Passage - 12/29/2004 7:11:22 AM   
Blackhorse

A question for the Canadians on the board:

Was the Inland Passage navigable for large warships during World War II?

Clearly, some merchant ships used the Inland Passage in WWII, and today large cruise ships sail these waters. But the harrowing accounts of the Seymour Narrows and Ripple Rock (removed in 1958 by the largest non-nuclear explosion in history -- the first event ever carried live nationwide on Candian television) make it seem impractical for the allies to have risked warships in the narrow stretch where Vancouver Island comes closest to touching British Columbia, and impossible for the Japanese to have done so.

If the Inland Passage is not navigable, then the only way a task force could reach Vancouver and Seattle is from the Juan de Fuca Strait, allowing the coastal batteries of Victoria/ Esquimalt (as added by AK Brown) to guard the approaches to both ports.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 116
RE: Inland Passage - 12/29/2004 7:25:00 AM   
Platoonist

Good question. That was quite the spectacular blast. Considering all this effort my guess would be no.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 117
RE: Inland Passage - 12/29/2004 7:39:09 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

If the Inland Passage is not navigable, then the only way a task force could reach Vancouver and Seattle is from the Juan de Fuca Strait, allowing the coastal batteries of Victoria/ Esquimalt (as added by AK Brown) to guard the approaches to both ports.

...Which under the rules as currently implemented they will NOT do. So if there is
any real threat of the Japanese coming this way, you had better mine the Straits
very heavily and let the CD's shoot at the minesweepers. CD's portrail in this game
is very poor. especially interms of large "fixed" emplacements.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 118
RE: Inland Passage - 12/29/2004 10:02:33 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

...Which under the rules as currently implemented they will NOT do. So if there is
any real threat of the Japanese coming this way, you had better mine the Straits
very heavily and let the CD's shoot at the minesweepers. CD's portrail in this game
is very poor. especially interms of large "fixed" emplacements.

Yes sadly I think that is the case. I believe that there is a special rule for Bataan CD firing at task forces sailing past to Manila precisely because it is not the default situation for CD to attack passing TFs. I wish the same special rule could be applied to Geelong/Melbourne in Australia as well (on my map), for the same geographical reason.

Of course in most cases it is reasonable that CD NOT be able to fire at passing TFs, given the size of hexes in the game. But it would be nice if it could be invoked in certain places.

BTW the Bataan/Manila CD rule is why I ensured that those two bases stayed in the same hex co-ords for my map.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 119
RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 - 12/29/2004 10:06:46 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Andrew Brown, I think your map mod is fantastic. This will be the only map I'll use if I ever get my first game under my belt. I really like what you have done to make Darwin and Portland be more accurately represented in the game.

One tiny addition since I dig geographical accuracy too. There is a 7,000 foot high isolated mountain range (The Olympics) just west of Seattle in what is now just a wooded hex. Not sure what the criteria are for mountains but I thought I would point it out if you think it worth including in a future version. Keep up the excellent work!

My cutoff was circa 2,500 to 3,000 metres (8-10,000 feet), which is why there are no mountain hexes in Australia (highest mountain here is a mere 2200m), and why a fair bit of the Rocky mountains, for example, is represented as forest instead of mountain, but I did make exceptions in various places for aesthetic reasons.

Andrew

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Map Mod Information Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI