Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 12/9/1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: 12/9/1941 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 12/9/1941 - 12/30/2004 7:12:30 AM   
Alikchi2

This is very well done, keep it up!

< Message edited by Alikchi -- 12/30/2004 8:13:29 PM >

(in reply to roberto5352)
Post #: 31
12/10/1942 - 12/30/2004 4:18:22 PM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
Two Lily raids in SE China, discussed in depth below

A sub launched Glen took recon photos of San Francisco.

A ton of planes transferred to Legaspi and Davao today.
Legaspi: 16th Lt. Sentai (36 Ann); 24th Ftr. Sentai (36 Nate); 47th Ftr. Sentai (9/36 Tojo); 8th Lt. Sentai (27 Lily); G1/1st Daitai (27 Nell) + 18 recon/search planes.
Davao: F2/3rd Daitai (27 Zero); G2/Takao Daitai (27 Betty) + 12 Babs

Naval and Sub Ops
3 PTs attacked the landings at Legaspi. All 3 were sunk, but they hit two IJN DDs. Harukaze is at 94 FLT and will probably sink. Yamagumo is at 22/27/7, and will survive.

I-154 put two fish in AP Zealandia (no troops aboard) north of Darwin.
I-18 hit AK Steel Voyager with 1 torpedo just off the US West Coast. She is expected to make it back to port.

Carrier Dispositions
In case you were curious. CVL Ryujo is at Davao. CVL Zuiho and CVE Hosho are SE of Legaspi. CVE Taiyo is NW of Vigan. The remaining carriers are with the KB, refueling north of Midway.

Ground Ops
Landings continued at Davao, Legaspi, and Lingayen.

Davao, Lingayen, Laoag, Aparri, and Legaspi were taken with negligible losses.

The IJA force at Hong Kong launched a deliberate attack. The assault achieved 4-1 odds, reduced forts to level 5, and caused about 300 casualties on each side.

Nanning was bombarded by 4 Chinese corps, no losses.

The additional units standing off the coast of Lingayen are now headed to the beach.

An AP and a PC were moderately damaged by coastal gunfire at Davao. They are currently in port at Davao. I neglected to mention several ships damaged in the invasion of Wake. Three DDs, Oboro, Kikuzuki, and Yuzuki were damaged. The first two have about 40 SYS, while Yuzuki is at 65/29. AP Uji Maru was also lightly damaged. All 4 ships are headed to Saipan, where the Admiral presciently has positioned an AR.

Planning
The China Situation
Something is afoot in SE China. Recon reports a total of 7 units, 26960 men, and 123 guns at Nanning. An additional concentration West of Wuchow consists of 4 units, with 18420 men and 70 guns. A third major force, totalling 5 units, 38620 men, and 162 guns, is positioned northwest of Canton.

IJA forces in the area are relatively light. Nanning is defended by the 19th Mixed Bde. The 21st Div. just crossed the border from Indochina and is moving west along the rail. Canton is defended by the 104th Div. Immediately east of Canton, the 51st Div. is marching in. Further east along the road, the Shanghai SNLF, the 1st Mixed Rgt., and the Chinese Expeditionary Force HQ are on their way.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 32
RE: 12/10/1942 - 12/30/2004 4:26:12 PM   
mogami

Hi, Just a minor detail Chinese Expeditionary Force HQ is heading towards Shanghai from Canton. Units receive replacements by being in range and having 20k supply at the base. The Commanding General and his staff are visting each base along the coast to bring the garrisons up to strength. (All port bases will have a baseforce and infantry unit assigned)(I exceed the garrison requirment when finished redeploying) Army HQ will ultimatly move to Changsha.

< Message edited by Mogami -- 12/31/2004 12:28:49 AM >

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 33
RE: 12/10/1942 - 12/31/2004 6:50:38 AM   
Terminus Est

Fascinating AAR and concept: being able to see a player's detailled plans and then look at how they suffer the test of reality is just awesome, kind of a cross between a military history book and an advanced tutorial for wannabe (or newbie) players. This is just awesome, keep it coming!

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 34
12/11/1942 - 12/31/2004 5:58:38 PM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
Ground attacks continued against Khota Bharu in Malaya and against troop concentrations in SE China (the units NW of Canton and the units W of Wuchow).

Naval and Sub Ops
No Allied ships torpedoed today. However, I-154 was attacked unsuccessfully by a large group of DDs and a CL. They appear to be refugees from Hong Kong and Singapore, heading for Darwin.

Grounds Ops
Landings began at Morotai (undefended), on the island east of Sulawesi.

Bombardment at Khota Bharu
Japanese Ships
DD Shikinami
DD Uranami
DD Murakumo
CA Mikuma
CA Mogami
DD Yukaze
DD Yakaze
DD Sawakaze
CL Kinu
CL Oi
BB Hyuga
BB Ise

Allied ground losses:
124 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 47
Port hits 14
Port fuel hits 7
Port supply hits 14

Bombardment at Kuantan
Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
DD Ayanami
DD Asagiri
DD Sagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Amagiri
CL Sendai
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya

Allied ground losses:
182 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 13
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 6

Bombardments at Menado- (repeated during the day phase, another Falcon destroyed)
Allied aircraft losses
CW-22 Falcon: 3 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Shiokaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Amatsukaze
CL Nagara
CA Nachi

Allied ground losses:
75 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 20

Japanese Deliberate attack at Hong Kong
Attacking force 33304 troops, 333 guns, 17 vehicles

Defending force 13014 troops, 109 guns, 4 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 4

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 4

Japanese ground losses:
122 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
226 casualties reported
Guns lost 22
Vehicles lost 1

Allied Deliberate attack at Nanning
Attacking force 29994 troops, 179 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 12424 troops, 142 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Japanese ground losses:
89 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
588 casualties reported
Guns lost 26

Logistics
Supply: 2.70 M
Fuel: 3.98 M
Resources: 1.73 M; 12.2k/day
Oil: 1.75 M; 750/day

Planning
China
Major redeployment to meet the Allied threat around Nanning.
-2 Parachute regiments, currently unassigned, moving to Pakhoi to secure the port.
-The 21st Div., currently moving west towards Nanning, was scheduled to move to the Phillippines. It will relieve the city, with the possible assistance of the 23rd Mixed Bde. Then both units will move to Canton. The 21st will embark for the PI, the 23rd back to the Southern Area Army reserve.
-General Matsui (38/71) in charge of the defense of Nanning has been replaced by General Manno (71/68).
-A separate threat may be developing in the region. In yesterday's screenshot, an Allied unit of indeterminate strength is visible on the trail two hexes NE of Hanoi. The general is concerned that this may be an attack on Northern Indochina. The 4th Mixed Bde. is being dispatched to reinforce Hanoi, currently held by the 4th Mixed Rgt, as well as supporting units to build up fortifications. Haiphong will be held by an SNLF. If the units cross into Indochina, a militia division allowing for further reinforcement. Finally, the 21st Mixed Bde. is currently garrisoning Songhkla. Once the Imperial Guards Div. arrives there in the next few days, the brigade can be transported to Haiphong.

Phillippines
Small invasions are on their way to a number of the small, undefended bases in the PI. The invasion of Jolo Island, with its size 4 AF, is about 3 days out.

Post #: 35
12/12/1942 - 12/31/2004 6:33:04 PM   
roberto5352

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm sure I'm enjoying writing this at least as much as you are reading it.

Air Ops
No raids in China today, but they're back on tomorrow.

Two raids in Malaya, against Khota Bharu and Alor Star. No enemy losses at Kkota Bharu, but light damage at Alor Star.

The airfield at Legaspi opened for business today with this raid on Manila.
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 8
Ki-30 Ann x 32
Ki-15 Babs x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
88 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Naval and Sub Ops
Exciting day to make up for yesterday.

The area SE of Mindanao is crawling with Allied subs. S-37 was spotted twice in the area; Sturgeon attacked DD Yamagumo, but torps failed to detonate. S-39 unsuccessfully attacked AP Daihachikyu Maru.

The I-boats kept their perfect record, as I-121 put two torpedoes into AK Empire Nightingale just outside of Trimcomalee.

Ground Ops
Bombardment continued at Menado. Landings were initiated at Guiuan (flyspeck PI base).

Allied Deliberate Attack at Nanning
Attacking force 29089 troops, 142 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 12214 troops, 139 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Japanese ground losses:
104 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Allied ground losses:
223 casualties reported
Guns lost 8

Japanese Deliberate Attack at Hong Kong
Attacking force 33283 troops, 332 guns, 17 vehicles

Defending force 12772 troops, 91 guns, 3 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese assault odds: 12 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Hong Kong base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
322 casualties reported
Guns lost 8
Vehicles lost 2

Allied ground losses:
15900 casualties reported
Guns lost 62

The facilities at Hong Kong have been ravaged by the battle (92 Port damage, 23 runway). Admiral YamaMogami believes it will take as much as 6 months and 200,000 supply to fully restore the base.

Planning
The 21st Division will arrive in Nanning tomorrow. The 23rd Mixed Bde. should begin unloading at Pakhoi the next day. The events of the next few days will determine whether or not operations in the SRA will be affected by the Allied offensive.

The 56th Bde. at Davao is being loaded for the invasion of Menado.

Three divisions (4th, 16th, 56th) marched out of Legaspi towards Naga, which appears to be lightly defended.

The 21st NLF will have the honor of leading the invasion of Borneo. The unit was originally scheduled to hit Dadjangas (SW of Davao), but that base was spontaneously occupied today, so the NLF was diverted to Sandakan (eastern tip of Borneo).

Post #: 36
12/13/1941 - 1/1/2005 8:30:30 PM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
China remains quiet due to weather, as does Malaya.

Two raids from Legaspi, against Clark and Manila.

Naval and Sub Ops
MSWs from Canton started sweeping the mines around Hong Kong, paving the way for shipments of troops and supply.

Landings at: Guiuan, Cagayan, Batuan, Ormoc, and Jolo.

Sturgeon attacked DD Hatsushima, but missed. The sub was spotted and hit with one depth charge.

Ground Ops
Guiuan and Morotai were both taken without resistance.

A 5th Chinese corps joined in today's attack against the weakened Bde. holding Nanning, but the 21st Div. arrived in the nick of time. The attack was repulsed with very heavy losses:
Allied Deliberate Attack at Nanning
Attacking force 28617 troops, 130 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 34364 troops, 386 guns, 17 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese ground losses:
86 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Allied ground losses:
1934 casualties reported
Guns lost 26

Planning
The arrival of the 21st Div. at Nanning was a great coup, but intel reports 50k men in the hex, and only 35k participated in the last attack. The 23rd Mixed Bde. arrives in Pakhoi tomorrow, and is expected to reach Nanning in 5 days. Canton is held by 2 divisions and supporting troops and should be secure.

The Admiral seems enraged by the developments in China, and has vowed terrible retribution against the invaders: "I had nothing in mind for China other then a slow gradual clearing of the railroad. I have an abject adversion to allowing the enemy to dictate events. I feel I must turn his plans against him. I am going to surround and destroy the Chinese units currently at Nanning.
Step 1: Hold Nanning.
Step 2: Drive from Canton to Nanning.
Step 3: Encircle Nanning.
Step 4: Reduce the Chinese."

I'll get another screenshot of the Nanning theater for my next post. If I'm feeling extra industrious, i might even annotate it with troop strengths and such.

I had this post ready yesterday morning, but had a 24-hour internet outage, damn you Charter! I'll try to post a couple of turns this afternoon

< Message edited by roberto5352 -- 1/1/2005 9:12:37 PM >

Post #: 37
12/14/1941 - 1/1/2005 11:56:54 PM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
A heavy day of air raids (and 8 ops losses). Ground units in China hit (see below). The garrisons at Alor Star and Khota Bharu were also hit. Clark and Manila were bombed from Legaspi.

Naval and Sub Ops
S-39 put 1 torpedo in AK Zagen Maru (32/32/11) SE of Davao. She will return safely to port next turn for repairs.

Ground Ops
Many landings: Ormac (taken without resistance), Cagayan, Jolo (captured a US Base Force here), Zamboanga, Cotabato (defenders of Davao retreated here). Tacloban reverted to Japan without an invasion.

Ineffectual Allied bombardment attacks at Nanning and Cotabato.

Logistics
Supply: 2.70 M
Fuel: 4.04 M
Resources: 1.72 M; 12.2k/day
Oil: 1.72 M; 750/day

Planning
The Battle of Nanning (with ultraprofessional screenshot)
F1/Yamada Daitai (27xZeros) is at Pakhoi to cover air ops in the area. A base force is headed to Hong Kong to support more air operations. As soon as Alor Star is captured, the 21st Mixed Bde. will be transported to Pakhoi from Songkhla. Transports are on their way from Hong Kong now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: 12/14/1941 - 1/2/2005 1:05:58 AM   
kaleun

I love this. Keep it up.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

Post #: 39
12/15/1941 - 1/4/2005 9:10:54 PM   
roberto5352

Sorry about the delay... Also, don't have the combat report anymore, so my reporting will be based on my slightly vague notes.

Air Ops
The KB launched a small raid against Midway (about 40 bombers). As mentioned earlier, the goal is to raise fears of an imminent invasion, tying up the US CVs in the Central Pacific for as long as possible. Time will tell if this feint is successful.

Bombers flew against Nanning, Clark Field, and Manila. No flights in Malaya.

Naval and Sub Ops
Hectic turn.

S-38 torpedoed AP Tasmania Maru once south of Davao. She has 66 FLT, looks like she's going down.

SS Salmon and KXIV were spotted in the waters south of Mindanao.

Perch took a shot at AP Taizin Maru, part of the Menado landing, but missed.

Salmon put a torpedo in CS Mizuho (18/33/19). She'll survive, but it will be a while in the dockyards. Salmon caught 1 DC in return.

The sub situation in the Phillippines seems to be escalating. There's one ASW TF of a few DDs operating in the area, no word on further measures yet.

Ground Ops
Landings continued at Cotabato and Cagayan. New landings at Emirau Island (north of Rabaul) and Menado.

Bombardment at Iloilo.

The allies bombarded at Menado and Cotabato, to little effect. Cagayan was captured, as was its base force. Zamboanga and Butuan were taken without resistance. Cotabato was attacked, but its defenders held the line, taking substantial casualties. Forts are down to 0, so it probably falls tomorrow.

Planning
Invasions of the three bases in NE Borneo are on the way. Tawi Tawi will also soon be under the gun.

The Imperial Guards and 56th Division will both cross the border into Malaya tomorrow. Given that all a/c were pulled out on day 1, it seems unlikely that a serious resistance will be mounted.

Post #: 40
12/16/1941 - 1/4/2005 9:54:44 PM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
In China, Lilies bombed the enemy forces west and SE of Wuchow. Heavy raids on Alor Star and Khota Bharu. No action in the PI.

Naval and Sub Ops
Skipjack was spotted south of Mindanao and hit twice.

KXV missed a shot on DD Suzukaze.

Snapper missed DD Hatsuharu and was hit three times trying to escape.

Ground Ops
Big turn. Landings at Menado, Roxas (PI flyspeck, near Iloilo), and Sandakan (E Borneo).

Yamashiro and Fuso bombarded Cotabato. The following two bombardments in Malaya:
Naval bombardment of Kuantan, at 24,47

Japanese Ships
DD Shikinami
DD Uranami
DD Murakumo
CA Mikuma
CA Mogami
DD Yukaze
DD Yakaze
DD Sawakaze
CL Kinu
CL Oi
BB Hyuga
BB Ise

Allied ground losses:
40 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 3
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Khota Bharu, at 24,45

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
DD Ayanami
DD Asagiri
DD Sagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Amagiri
CL Sendai
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya

Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported

Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 23
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 4
Port supply hits 8

Emirau was captured, and a Tank Regiment grabbed Victoria Point. Cotabato fell, and a PA Div. and two base forces went into captivity (2500 men). Menado fell, with a defense battalion and a base force (2000 men).

The big news was a sally from Canton against the enemy concentration (3 Chinese Corps) SE of Wuchow. The force comprises 3 divisions, 2 engineering regiments, and 3 artillery units. Canton is protected by a Mixed Rgt. The two armies swapped bombardments, condensed below.
Gunnery duel at 43,40
Japanese force 39864 troops, 534 guns, 7 vehicles

Chinese force 29338 troops, 169 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese ground losses:
4 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
138 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Planning
With the invasion of Malaya, the 21st Mixed Bde. was released from garrison duties at Songkhla, and will embark for Pakhoi as soon as transports arrive.

Post #: 41
RE: 12/15/1941 - 1/5/2005 12:55:07 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: roberto5352

Sorry about the delay... Also, don't have the combat report anymore, so my reporting will be based on my slightly vague notes.

You are coming dangerously close to failing in your duty to your Emperor!

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Post #: 42
RE: 12/15/1941 - 1/5/2005 8:42:05 AM   
roberto5352

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: roberto5352

You are coming dangerously close to failing in your duty to your Emperor!

I know, I know, I'm a horrible person... once i get back to school though (this weekend), I won't have things like family and friends to distract me from my recaps. We'll be up to speed in no time

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 43
RE: 12/15/1941 - 1/10/2005 3:19:29 AM   
roberto5352

OK, very sorry about the delay. I've got nothing to do tonight except boil up some dinner, and recap turns... Mogami and Brady are up to the second week of January, and there have been some interesting naval battles and such. I'll have you guys up to speed in no time.

Post #: 44
12/17/1941 - 1/10/2005 3:50:43 AM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
Raid at Alor Star
Day Air attack on 15th Indian Brigade, at 24,44
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 79
Ki-46-II Dinah x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
78 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Aircraft Attacking:
All Sallies bombing at 11000 feet.

Raid on Manila
Day Air attack on Corregidor M Fortress, at 43,52
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 8
Ki-48 Lily x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 4 damaged

Allied ground losses:
47 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Aircraft Attacking:
All Ki-48 Lilies bombing at 15000 feet.

A smaller raid (30 Anns) on Clark. Nells flying from Truk made an ineffectual raid on Rabaul.

Naval and Sub Ops
Dutch SS KXV was attacked SW of Mindanao by an ASW TF, which hit it with 3 DCs. It was spotted still alive later in the day. Fate unknown...

Searaven was also spotted and attacked in the area, with no confirmed hits.

Ground Ops
Landings at Admiralty Islands (Rabaul theater) and Brunei, Miri, and Jesselton (NE Borneo). Roxas (PI) and Sandakan (E Borneo) both fell without resistance.

Battle of Nanning
The Admiral's earlier rage has calmed, and he has retreated on his vow to utterly destroy the Chinese armies at Nanning. Instead, he has decided merely to drive them from the railroad.

Japanese Deliberate Attack at 43,40 (NW Canton)
Attacking force 71444 troops, 781 guns, 20 vehicles (3 Divs + support)

Defending force 28844 troops, 164 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
440 casualties reported
Guns lost 15
Vehicles lost 3

Allied ground losses:
394 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Defeated Allied Units Retreating! (to the northeast, out of the main battle area).

The Allies made an ineffectual bombardment of Nanning, suffering more losses to counterbattery fire than they inflicted.

Malaya
Japanese Deliberate Attack at Alor Star
Attacking force 46054 troops, 545 guns, 17 vehicles

Defending force 2469 troops, 20 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 11 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Alor Star base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
153 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

Allied ground losses:
140 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Logistics
Total Supply: 2.74 M
Total Fuel: 4.02 M
Total Resources: 1.70 M; 12.2k/day
Total Oil: 1.69 M; 750/day

Planning
Battle of Nanning
The 38th Div. will remain in position NW of Canton as a rearguard. The other 2 division + support will move NW along the rail line towards Nanning. The 4th Mixed Bde. and 4th Mixed Rgt. are at Haiphong. The Rgt. will move to Hanoi and defend it. The Bde. will move through Hanoi towards Nanning, to cover the rail west of Nanning and force the Chinese troops besieging the city to retreat cross-country.

Malaya
In light of the reduced objectives in China, the 21st Mixed Bde. will remain in theater. Now that Alor Star has been captured, the IG and 53rd Divs will move on to Taiping. The 21st will move into Alor Star to cut off Georgetown, which will be captured next.

Screenshot: Malaya, 12/17/1941 (annotated)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 45
The Big Picture - 1/10/2005 4:00:29 AM   
roberto5352

I thought I would take a moment to outline the Admiral's larger defensive scheme, and his organization of forces.

6 Armies are currently involved in offensive expansion in the SRA and Malaya: the 14th, the 15th, the 16th, the 17th, the 18th, and the 25th. Units are transferred between these formations based on the exigencies of war. However, in the long term, each Army has an assigned area to defend, and will have a semi-permanent order of battle.

Each Army defensive zone will consist of a main base, where the Army HQ will be located, along with most of the forces. Each Army will also be assigned a number of secondary bases, which fall within fighter range of the main base. All bases that are outside of fighter range of a main base will be Independent bases, and will be assigned their own defensive units.

14th and 16th Armies are currently engaged in the PI. 25th Army is tasked with taking and holding Singapore. Once that is accomplished, 15th Army will be formed out of excess units and assigned to take Rangoon. 17th Army will base at Rabaul and handle SWPAC operations. 18th Army will be based at Kwajalein and defend SOPAC.

I may be missing some important aspects of this defensive scheme... please correct me if this is so.

Post #: 46
12/18/1941 - 1/10/2005 4:17:48 AM   
roberto5352

Quiet turn.
Air Ops
Small Mary raid at Nanning does no damage. Small Sonia raid at Yenen does almost no damage.

Naval and Sub Ops
S-38 spotted S of Mindanao.

Ground Ops
Landings: Miri, Puerto Princesa, Tawi Tawi.

Captured: Admiralty Islands, Miri, Jesselton, Brunei (1 RN Base Force evicted, retreats east).

Naga is not being defended, so the plan to cut off the forces there was abandoned. 3 Divs + engineers steamrollered the single base force at Naga, with the engineers erasing all 3 levels of forts, and the troops achieving 2604:1 odds.

Ineffective bombardment at Nanning. The relief column from Canton is nearing the enemy force W of Wuchow, should enter their hex in 1-2 turns.

Planning
Troops began assembling at Chengting for the capture of Yenen (Recon strength: 9 units, 86k men, 428 guns).

In Malaya, the 21st Mixed Bde. entered Alor Star, and the 55th and Imperial Guards Divs. began moving towards Taiping, will arrive tomorrow.

Post #: 47
RE: 12/18/1941 - 1/12/2005 4:48:33 AM   
roberto5352

Quiet turn too, but stuff in the hopper.
Air Ops
Another small Mary raid on Nanning, with minimal damage. <yawn>

Naval and Sub Ops
Searaven spotted S Mindanao, attacked with no success. <yawn>

Ground Ops
Landings at Tawi Tawi. Tawi Tawi and Puerto Princesa captured without resistance. <yawn>

2 Bombardments provide the only action of the day.
Bombardment at Kuching (N Borneo)
10 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
DD Shikinami
DD Uranami
DD Murakumo
CA Mikuma
CA Mogami
DD Yukaze
DD Yakaze
DD Sawakaze, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (59/13/18)
CL Kinu
CL Oi
BB Hyuga
BB Ise

Allied ground losses:
193 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 8
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 3

Bombardment at Khota Bharu
Japanese Ships
BB Nagato
DD Ayanami
DD Asagiri
DD Sagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Amagiri
CL Sendai
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya

Allied ground losses:
55 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 31
Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 6

Planning
Phillippines
The 48th Div entered Clark Field's hex ahead of the main army. The 5th and 18th Divs., 35th and 65th Bdes., and 4 Engineering Rgts. will follow tomorrow. The Sasebo 3rd SNLF is heading east to clear up NE Luzon. The units at Naga continue their push towards Manila. Depending on the success of these units, the 21st Div. (at Nanning) and the 38th Div. (rearguard for Nanning relief force) wil be moved either to the PI or to Malaya, after the successful conclusion of Chinese operations, of course.

Screenshot: Phillippine Islands, December 19, 1941, appended with red arrows.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 48
RE: 12/19/1941 - 1/12/2005 5:31:28 AM   
roberto5352

Forgot some planning stuff.

Capture of S Borneo
Step 1: Ryujo, Zuiho, and Hosho support capture of Kendari
Step 2: Paratroops and transports being moved to Brunei. Paratroops will land at Balikpapan, Sampit, and Banjarmasin. Amphibious landings at Tarakan and Samarinda.
Step 3: Fast transport from Kendari if necessary to support paratroops.

Screenshot: Southern Borneo and Kendari, December 19, 1941, annotated.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
12/20/1941 - 1/12/2005 5:43:50 AM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
Just recon flights.

Naval Ops
SS Sargo spotted south of Mindanao

Ground Ops
Landing at Wasile (on the island east of Sulawesi).

Japanese Shock Attack at Taiping
Attacking force 45750 troops, 542 guns, 17 vehicles

Defending force 2625 troops, 25 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Taiping base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
505 casualties reported (ouch)
Guns lost 19
Vehicles lost 3

Allied ground losses:
16 casualties reported

Defeated Allied Units Retreating! (units retreat to Georgetown... oops)

Post #: 50
More 12/20/1941 - 1/16/2005 5:28:15 AM   
roberto5352

Forgetting to do up the planning stuff.

Phillippines
Scouting reports indicate that only 1 Base Force has been cut off in NE Luzon. This unit will be dealt with, then the 3 Armored units providing a reserve for the operation will head to Clark. The units that steamrolled Naga will be rolling into Manila and securing in shortly. All units are expected to arrive in Clark within one week. After successful conclusion of this operation, 3 divisions will be released to the 25th Army (Malaya). These divisions will secure the east coast of Malaya in 3 separate landings, then rendezvous with the other units of the 25th Army for the assault on Singapore. The total combat strength will be 6 Divisions + supporting units.

Post #: 51
12/21/1941 - 1/16/2005 5:56:47 AM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
Raid on Chinese Forces West of Wuchow at 41, 39
Ki-30 Ann x 22
Ki-51 Sonia x 50

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
78 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Aircraft Attacking:
All bombing at 2000 feet

10 Sonias bombed Yenen, inflicting between 10 and 20 casualties.

Naval and Sub Ops
Sargo hit BB Yamashiro outside of Menado today, but the torpedoes were duds. Someone's face is red...

S-39 put two torpedoes in TK Nippon Maru outside of Menado. With 61 FLT and far from port, she seems doomed, with about 3000 valuable fuel.

I-7 took a shot at PG Dawson off the US West Coast, but missed. Dawson was part of an ASW group that managed to score two hits on the sub. Damage at 29/62/0, not looking good.

Ground Ops
Landing at San Jose.

The Battle of Nanning continues, as the two relief divisions encounter 3 Chinese Corps West of Wuchow, blocking the rail line from Canton.
Japanese Deliberate Attack at 41, 39
Attacking force 37970 troops, 454 guns, 4 vehicles

Defending force 24326 troops, 135 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 10 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
321 casualties reported
Guns lost 8

Allied ground losses:
62 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

The defeated Allied units retreated to Wuchow. The relief forces should be in position to push the Chinese off the rail line within a week. One of the units on the trail along the China/Indochina border moved along the trail SE. Are these units trying to relieve Nanning? Attack Hanoi?

Planning
Java
This is a bit in the future, but I'll quote the Admiral at length here, outlining the strategic parameters of the Java campaign:

"1. Java is to be invaded not more then 2 weeks after the fall of Singapore.
2. Sumatra will be taken in conjuction. All bases on east coast of Sumatra will be attacked by amph landing at once.
3.West Coast bases will be taken by airborne assault.
4. Kragen is the invasion beach for Java
5. All bases with airfields on route to Java from Singapore will be taken prior to invasion and used to provide CAP to TF moving between Singapore and Java.
6. Proposed landings in Malaya by 1 div each of three locations to be reinforced by a Bde each (to aid in taking Singapore and in moving units from PI to Malaya.
The assigned Bde are the 35th,56th,65th these units will be used to take Sumatra (There are 9 bases in Sumatra. 2 will be taken by airborne and 7 by amph assault. The invasion force will be augmented by units of the IJN.)"

The decision has been taken to leave Palembang in Allied hands until all Allied air bases in range are neutralized. This will prevent bombing of the invaluable oil resources of Sumatra. Thus, the capture of Java will be the last prerequisite for the invasion of Sumatra.

Kendari
If you had anything to say to the Allied forces at Kendari, say it soon. A bombardment TF built around Yamashiro and Fuso will be going in the 23rd (i think), followed by an invasion TF (56th Bde.).

Wewak and Taytay (PI flyspeck) will be invaded tomorrow. The two lead Divs. of the 25th Army enter Georgetown tomorrow. Air assets will be moved in as soon as possible.

Post #: 52
More 12/21/1941 - 1/16/2005 6:00:39 AM   
roberto5352

Oops. Forgot a big battle in the PI.
Japanese Deliberate Attack, Rail Line between Naga and Manila
Attacking force 74457 troops, 854 guns, 19 vehicles

Defending force 330 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 4198 to 1

Allied ground losses:
146 casualties reported

Brutal. The tattered bloody shreds of this unit fall back to Manila. The road to the capital is clear.

Post #: 53
12/22/1941 - 1/16/2005 6:28:56 AM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
The first Allied offensive air op of the war... they've been saving up for this?
Attack against Surface escort of Kendari invasion
Allied aircraft
T.IVa x 3 (bombing at 5k feet) (5 planes get lost)

Allied aircraft losses
T.IVa: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Ashigara

Naval and Sub Ops
SS Spearfish encounters a large ASW TF near Menado but escapes. Many subs in this area.

Ground Ops
Kendari bombardment (ahead of schedule... oops)
Japanese Ships
DD Yukikaze
DD Hayashio
CA Haguro
CA Myoko
DD Wakatake
DD Kuretake
DD Sanae
CL Kitakami
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso

Allied ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 11
Port hits 3
Port supply hits 5

Landings at Wewak. San Jose and Wasile (both undefended) fall. The strategically vital beach of Boac was occupied by the Japanese (island just west of Naga).

Logistics
Finally, something interesting to report under this heading.
Total Supply: 2.74 M
Total Fuel: 3.90 M
Total Resources: 1.67 M; 12.4k/day
Total Oil: 1.68 M; 1111/day

The oil fields at Brunei were captured intact (300/day). The smaller fields at Miri were at 61% (61/day). Oil from both will be loaded at Brunei for transport to industrial areas. 39k supply will be needed to repair Miri. The needed supply is being loaded at Osaka.

Once repaired, the Brunei/Miri complex will require 5 16k TKs. These will be allocated, and the complex's output will be directed to Saigon, Hanoi, Hong Kong, and Bangkok.

Planning
China
The army that has been collecting at Chengting set off for Yenen today. Forces include 7 Divisions, a handful of brigades, and ample engineering, armor, and artillery support. Forces will arrive within the week, and the city is not expected to hold out long.

In the Nanning area, 2 Eng. Rgts. and an artillery unit with the relief force went off the rail for unknown reasons. Admiral YamaMogami attributes it to "bad maps." Operations will not be held up for the stragglers. Beheadings of offending cartographers not ruled out.

Phillippines
The engineering units at Clark Field will begin attacks to weaken the fortifications at that stronghold. The infantry in the hex will bombard, but not attack yet.

Two base forces from Palau embarked on their way to Menado and Kendari. A third is earmarked for Amboina, once it falls.

Paratroops at Pakhoi (moved here to secure against the Chinese "onslaught." no longer needed) began embarkation for Brunei. See plan above.

Defense of Thai and Burma coasts
Adm. YamaMogami:
"Bases along Thai/Burma coast will be provided CD units. Base defense will be provided by IJN land units.
All coastal bases will be defended by a baseforce with CD guns and 30 AV (base will have Naval Air defense of at least 9 B5N and 9 D3A with fighter escort. Fighters may come from IJAAF units. Where available IJAAF DB other then Sonia will be employed in lieu of IJN types.
ASW and Air Patrol will be established along coast from Rangoon to Home Islands."
The first step to instituting this plan came today, as the 9th CD unit was ordered out of Camranh Bay on its way to Victoria Pt.

Post #: 54
12/23/1941 - 1/16/2005 6:53:05 AM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
Raid on Wuchow
Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 22
Ki-51 Sonia x 47
Ki-15 Babs x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
61 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
All bombing at 2000 feet

Smaller raid (18 Sonias) hit Yenen (23 men lost).

The 2nd Allied Air attack (two raids combined)
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 34

Allied aircraft
T.IVa x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
A5M4 Claude: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
T.IVa: 10 destroyed, 5 damaged (read: 4 and 4)

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
CA Ashigara

Aircraft Attacking:
All T.IVa bombing at 5000 feet

Naval and Sub Ops
Suary spotted SW Menado. S-39 attacked SE Menado. S-40 attacked twice E Menado.
Sargo attacked by the escorts of the light CV's covering the Menado invasion. 1 DC hit.

Ground Ops
Landings at Taytay. Wewak captured without resistance.

Japanese Deliberate Attack at Georgetown
Attacking force 60517 troops, 690 guns, 13 vehicles

Defending force 5893 troops, 49 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 12 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Georgetown base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
289 casualties reported
Guns lost 16

Allied ground losses:
4387 casualties reported
Guns lost 62

I've saved the best for last. In what can only be described as an act of staggering cowardice, or perhaps an early Christmas present to Emperor Hirohito, we see the following combat report:
Japanese Shock Attack (engineers only) at Clark Field
Attacking force 114460 troops, 1257 guns, 41 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 127 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Clark Field base !!!

Two units, one the Naga base force, are stranged in Manila, which should fall today. The one BF in NE Luzon will be hunted down within the week, and that area secured.

Invasion of Kendari lands tomorrow. 1st Army (Yenen invasion force) left Chengting today. See screenshot.

Screenshot: Why Real Estate Prices in Yenen are Falling.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 55
The Big Picture - 1/16/2005 7:17:31 AM   
roberto5352

A general timetable for the next few months.
Operations in Malaya should be completed within the next three weeks. The siege of Singapore is expected to experience success on or around Jan. 14th, 1942. Two weeks afterwards, approximately Feb. 1st, operations against Java and Sumatra will begin, to conclude around Valentine's Day. Near the beginning of March, forces will be diverted en masse to the South Pacific and Burma. The invasion of Rangoon is pencilled in for Mar. 14th. In SOPAC, we have this cryptic notation: "Operations directed against major troop concentration centers away from main land Australia commence 1 Apr 1942."

Post #: 56
12/24/1941 - 1/17/2005 2:50:26 AM   
roberto5352

Air Ops -utter futility in the air for the Allies
Raid against Kendari Escort Force, flying from Kopang
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 7

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 32
Martin 139 x 26
Hudson I x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A5M4 Claude: 12 destroyed (5 lost)

Allied aircraft losses
Brewster 339D: 14 destroyed, 12 damaged (10 lost, but they keep the Claudes off the bombers.)
Martin 139: 13 damaged (2 lost, Ops and Flak)
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
DD Nowaki
CA Chokai

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x Martin 139 bombing at 5000 feet
5 x Martin 139 bombing at 15000 feet
3 x Hudson I bombing at 5000 feet

Raid on Kendari Escort force, flying from Darwin
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 5

Allied aircraft
B-17C Fortress x 12
B-17E Fortress x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
A5M4 Claude: 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17C Fortress: 4 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 16 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
CA Chokai, Bomb hits 2 (Both bounce, total SYS at 1)
BB Haruna

Aircraft Attacking:
All B-17 Fortress bombing at 7000 feet

Raid on Wuchow
Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 22
Ki-51 Sonia x 53
Ki-15 Babs x 1
Ki-36 Ida x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Aircraft Attacking:
All bombing at 2000 feet

10 Sonias hit Yenen, no damage.

Naval and Sub Ops
12 PT boats attack the invasion force. They are met by the surface escort (Haruna, Kongo, CA Chokai, and 9 DDs). In two engagements, 5 PTs go down. They manage to fire two torpedo spreads, but no hits.

S-37 spotted in Kendari area. S-40 encounters an ASW TF, one of whose DDs hits it a few times with a machine gun on the surface.

Ground Ops
Landings begin at Kendari.

Taytay captured (undefended).

Japanese Shock Attack at Manila
Attacking force 45642 troops, 597 guns, 11 vehicles

Defending force 2490 troops, 57 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese assault odds: 41 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Manila base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
83 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
2561 casualties reported
Guns lost 28

The two base forces stuck in NE Luzon are pushed back without loss to Tugueragao, the last Allied base in the area.

Planning
The ships damaged at Wake are leaving Saipan for the Home Islands.

The KB is headed to Kwajalein, where it will support the occupation of the Gilberts. Not sure, but I believe shipping for the invasions will be drawn from Truk. Depending on developments, Baker and Canton may also be taken.

Some speculation about operations after the conquest of the SRA is complete. I will quote at length:
"I am gathering data to focus future (post SRA) operations on possible Axis of advance. Mission objective will be destruction of enemy forces.

Early indications point towards Darwin.
I would like to conduct a hit and run invasion of Darwin to destroy enemy long range bomber groups and deny the base as airfield and sub base for as long as possible but would commit no more then several SNLF to final defense and would attempt to withdrawl all forces once enemy land strength arrived in area. I think I could deny Darwin for prehaps 6 months to a year. It would however allow the enemy to employ forces in comabt that otherwise would be restricted. (provided I remained in Darwin and let them come to contact)

Both Midway and Johnson Island are too close to major enemy bases to be good targets for anything other then hit and run. Canton/Baker are good provided the where abouts of enemy CV is known and they are beyond reaction range. (And the enemy places enough material there to make effort worth while)

Will compose force to divert enemy forces to Northern Areas soon. Will occupy and abandon Attu/Kiska areas. Area will be mined and scout sub pickett line deployed When enemy forces begin to gather attack subs will be deployed.

Most likely point of future battle is Noumea/Luganville/Efate area. Almost assured that enemy will concentrate forces in this area. Advanced Japanese bases must be prepared prior to entry into sustained operation.
Will await arrival on map of conversion ships type AR/MLE before starting actions. Tulagi will be established as advance repair/support base protected by Anti-Naval bombers on Lunga.

Invasion of Port Moresby considered required to protect flank and rear of any move into Noumea area.

Ground forces employed to secure Port Moresby will form reserve for operation against noumea area.
Advance bases to be defended up to May 1943 and then front withdrawn to Rabaul with bases south-south east of Rabaul being used as delaying/attrition bases.
I believe a triangle of defensive bases Wewak-Lae-Rabaul can delay enemy advance into central Pacific from Allied Southwest Pacific HQ.

Gilberts and Marshalls will oppose advance by enemy South Pacific HQ. and Central Pacific HQ. Wake and Marcus not considered essentional (worth risking fleet assets)
But will have forces for final defense not later then July 1942.
Gilberts and Marshalls to be ready for defense not later then July 1942. These areas must be ready to protect flank of Noumea operation. "

As the above indicates, the two primary objectives are delaying the enemy advance and destroying enemy materiel. A battle for Noumea would be an interesting sight... Time will tell.

Post #: 57
12/25/1941 - 1/17/2005 3:15:31 AM   
roberto5352

Christmas truce?
Air Ops
None

Naval and Sub Ops
Searaven spotted in Menado area. I-122 hits AK Empire Carey with 1 torpedo in the Ceylon area. The damage probably isn't fatal.

Ground Ops
Landings finish at Kendari and the defenders are forced to retreat with no losses on either side.

Post #: 58
12/26/1941 - 1/17/2005 6:50:24 AM   
roberto5352

AAR notes:
I'm woefully behind the pace of events (most recent turn in my box: 2/2/42) and I hope to get that backlog cleared this week. I only have two days of classes this week and a job interview (OT: anyone want to hire a hardworking, dedicated first-year law student for a summer internship?), so I should have a goodly amount of time to put into this project. Goal for the week: advance the AAR to match the calendar date!

Air Ops
Raid on Surface Force at Kendari (3 attacks combined) (Surprisingly, no CAP. Allied accuracy remains AWFUL)
Allied aircraft (Forts from Darwin, other planes from Kopang)
Brewster 339D x 17
Martin 139 x 44
Hudson I x 6
B-17C Fortress x 10
B-17E Fortress x 4

Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 5 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 1 (bounces)
DD Hibiki
CA Chokai
BB Kongo
DD Akatsuki
DD Satsuki
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 1 (26/5/9, disbanded in Kendari for now, presumably to put out fires/FLT)
CA Ashigara

Aircraft Attacking:
35 x Martin 139 bombing at 5000 feet
9 x Martin 139 bombing at 15000 feet
6 x Hudson I bombing at 5000 feet
All B-17 bombing at 7000 feet

Raid against ASW TF SW of Menado (flying from Amboina? not sure)
Allied aircraft
Swordfish x 7
Brewster 339D x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Shirayuki, Bomb hits 1 (14/1/3)
DD Shinonome

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Swordfish bombing at 5000 feet
4 x Swordfish bombing at 5000 feet

Wuchow's Standing Date with Sonia
Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 19
Ki-51 Sonia x 53
Ki-15 Babs x 1
Ki-36 Ida x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Aircraft Attacking:
All bombing at 2000 feet

Naval and Sub Ops
The 7 surviving Dutch PTs take on the surface forces at Kendari. Two destroyed, no torps launched.

Ground Ops
Landing at Bulla (eastern tip of Amboina island)

Logistics
The lack of fighting at Clark Field left the resources there undamaged. PI now produces about 11k supply/mo. total (Clark, Lingayen, and Naga).

Planning
Nanning
38th Div. (reserve at Canton) will be dispatched to Naga. If the unit is not needed at Bataan, it will move on the operations in the SRA.

A new strategy is being put into effect (see below... terrible drawing, but it's not incomprehensible). The defenders at Nanning will attack this turn and push the Chinese back along the rail line Canton-way. A further encirclement will attempt to push the units off the line to the south. Once they're trapped along the coast, they can be surrounded and destroyed by a small force.

Timor
After the mass raid at Kendari, the Admiral lost his legendary cool and issued the following quote: "I'm going to knock Kopang off the face of the earth. The enemy has placed air assets there and I intend they die there." 56th Bde. at Kendari will load up and move on to Kopang, escorted by the BBs in the area. Darwin will also be shelled to protect the invasion and the resources at Kendari.

The KB is resting and refitting their aircraft while replenishment TF catches up and transports move from Truk.

Screenshot: New plan for Battle of Nanning (annotated, after a fashion)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 59
12/27/1941 - 1/17/2005 7:27:23 AM   
roberto5352

Air Ops
Allied Raid on Surface Forces at Kendari
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 19

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 12
Martin 139 x 26
Hudson I x 3
B-17C Fortress x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A5M4 Claude: 7 destroyed, 3 damaged (5 destroyed)

Allied aircraft losses
Brewster 339D: 6 destroyed, 2 damaged (4 destroyed)
Martin 139: 5 destroyed, 18 damaged (6 destroyed: 2AA, 3 Flak, 1 Ops)
B-17C Fortress: 4 damaged (1 destroyed)

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
DD Asakaze
CL Natori, Bomb hits 1 (only 4 SYS)

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 5000 feet

Naval and Sub Ops
Sealion takes a shot at TK Sacramento Maru in "Sub Alley" (channel between Menado and Kendari), but misses. Brady's use of subs to harrass the invasions has been masterful.

Bombadment of Balikpapan
AK Mauban is caught outside the port and destroyed.
2 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
DD Shiratsuyu
DD Shigure, Shell hits 1 (15 SYS)
DD Yugure
DD Ariake
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Amatsukaze
DD Yugumo
CL Nagara
CA Nachi
DD Yukikaze
DD Hayashio
CA Haguro
CA Myoko
CL Kitakami
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso

Allied ground losses:
115 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 13
Port hits 6
Port fuel hits 5
Port supply hits 7

Ground Ops
Bulla taken without fanfare. Khota Bharu was converted to Japanese control last turn, forgot to mention it.

Japanese Bombardment at Bataan
Forces still moving into place, I'll have a screenshot when everyone arrives to the party.

Attacking force 105466 troops, 1433 guns, 40 vehicles

Defending force 78211 troops, 728 guns, 134 vehicles

Allied ground losses:
124 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Japanese Deliberate Attack at Nanning
Attacking force 50227 troops, 583 guns, 16 vehicles

Defending force 43589 troops, 147 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
1253 casualties reported (All 3 units, 2 Mixed Bde. and a Div., disrupted 80+. big debacle)
Guns lost 18
Vehicles lost 2

Allied ground losses:
90 casualties reported

Planning
The defeat at Nanning means that the IJA will be unable to trap the Chinese at Nanning. Plan B is to just shove the invaders away from the city north.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: 12/9/1941 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI