Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/20/2000 2:29:00 AM   
Sgt. Rick

PLEASE make it!!!! You absolutely have my vote... Need donations? You'll get it from me for sure!

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 31
- 6/20/2000 2:55:00 AM   
Bondy

Modern SP - That's a much bigger job than the Nam concept and I would expect that you guys would have to sell this to make it worth the time spent. If that was the case I would not buy this game. Part of the reason is that I'm more interested in WW2 era combat than in modern wars. Many modern battles seem to be routs with the side with better tech winning. Also the SP engine was not designed for this kind of warfare - SP2 was a big stretch IMO. Not meaning to be negative for those that love this idea, but trying to be realistic.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 32
- 6/20/2000 3:49:00 AM   
U235

Count me in for Modern SP2, but I think you should really ask your design team. How long can Matrix keep giving us something for free? I wouldn't want to be the one that goes to the well to often, if you know want I mean.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 33
- 6/20/2000 3:51:00 AM   
Dean Robb

I LOVE the 'modern' idea, but think it's just too big a chunk to take in one bite. I'd suggest breaking it up into two sections: 1950-1970 (or so), and from 1970 to the present. Figure about the time of the Apache/Abrams MBT IOC as the beginning of the "modern" era - when ALL the weapons and tactics got changed.

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 34
- 6/20/2000 6:28:00 AM   
NateD

Lemme think, do I wanna modern SP's? YES! Like it was posted above, I wouldn't want the production of SP WAW to suffer any. Trust me I would pay for a modern one. If it can be done, you guys would be who I want on the job! Good Luck, Nate

Nate, "Sometimes descretion is the better part of valor."

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 35
- 6/20/2000 6:56:00 AM   
Dave R

I love the idea! One suggestion though. Rather stick with the NATO/Soviet block scenarios, which frankly have been done to death, but as we know didn't actually happen, how about shifting the emphasis to the actual conflicts that happened. Seeing as most of these conflicts involved 2nd and 3rd world countries it would also go much of the way to solving the problem that many have identified of all the high tech kit that comes in with the later time periods. Yes, you'd still need US/UK Soviet/Russian forces for the likes of Korea, Nam, Afganistan and the Falklands. There's also the 'terrorist' element! PLO, IRA. Again all reletivly low tech. By shifting the emphasis away from the big hypothetical 'what if' battles, to the smaller 'bushfire' conflicts, many of the problems of such a big time period would be negated, and in my oppinion a very refreshing change!

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 36
- 6/20/2000 8:31:00 AM   
Moonwolf

quote:

Originally posted by Recon: Up to 2005 from 1950? That's a looong period and also would include weapons still in development when it's hard enough to get the WW2 gear correct and complete. Better break it up into SP'NAM and another, later period SP title. I really think you would be biting off more than can be conveniently chewed.
Recon's got a very good point: 55 years and countless different kinds of warfare is way too much variety to model accurately. Break it up into decades/wars -- then you have a chance to do it right. Just take the Israeli wars as an example -- the early ones bear no resemblance to the later ones, and we're talking the same countries on both sides. It would be hard to do a Middle East game accurately that covered those 55 years (if not impossible), let alone try and take into consideration a host of other countries. The Soviet Union/Russia is another example of how difficult it would be to model 55 years within a single country. All that said: I'd rather have a WWI variant, and an African Wars variant, and a South/Central American Wars variant . . . etc. build a template for niche variants, and then give us the editors to fill in the specifics. ------------------ | Moonwolf | ----------------

Ed Mortimer Meglio un Giorno da Leone

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 37
- 6/20/2000 9:00:00 AM   
Stug

I would be interested in a modern SP. All this talk about how it would be done. Well I'm sure if Matrix says they can do it then they can.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 38
- 6/20/2000 9:34:00 AM   
Mark_Ezra

Just add me to the list of people who say yes to SP Modern. I'd love to see what you guys can do with the IDF.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 39
- 6/20/2000 9:42:00 AM   
troopie

SPWAW: Modern Brushfire Wars! Love it! Where can I pre-purchase a copy? troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 40
- 6/20/2000 10:40:00 AM   
Desert Fox

I love the idea of a modern SP game with all the improvements of SPWAW. It would be difficult, but hey, we would have to pay for this one. I am sure Matrix would figure out how to do it and make us like it. Anyways, the biggest problem with SP3's rendition of modern battles were the track hits. You could absolutely not take a company of M1A2s against a far inferior tank regiment without nearly getting wiped out by track hits. So I guess I would be really happy if that was all they fixed. Not that I would pay more than 5 bucks if that was all they did.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 41
- 6/20/2000 4:48:00 PM   
Ed

I'd love it, but if i got it right, Matrix had to keep SPWAW free to be allowed to use the original SSI source code. If a modern version is such a difficult task, I don't see how could they possibly afford to work on it. What about a completely new game?

-------- Regards

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 42
- 6/20/2000 5:17:00 PM   
Six-pk

ya know a LOT think it's to big to chew...... I dig SP2 btw, thats 1950 to 1999 with IMO no problem. So whats so hard about 1950 to 2005? I don't get it. BTW I would GLADLY pay for this or any other Matrix game NP! Six

Six-pk

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 43
- 6/20/2000 7:22:00 PM   
robot

Sorry guys i am not a modern guy. I love the old times. Would rather see a WWI or you people do a civil war one. I have played civil war for years. I would say most likely everyone that has been on the mkt. Some were good and some were bad. Blue and the gray was one i liked. If you people went into civil war i think i would pay almost anything to have that game. My mouth waters at the thought of the graphics and the sounds. ------------------ Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 44
- 6/20/2000 9:41:00 PM   
Elvis

Yet another thumbs up... ------------------ alea iacta est [email]sooperduk@hotmail.com[/email]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 45
- 6/21/2000 12:11:00 AM   
GeneralOberst Teufel

I for one, am partial to the WWII arena of Battle but would support a Modern Version. I do tend to agree that a 50 year span would be cumbersome to undertake and produce a fine quality product. I vote for a 10-20 block release several "Era/Time period" games I would gladly pay for a fine product such as SPWAW. ( I have just downloaded the game and senarios, played for several hours last night and enjoyed myself what a improvement over the original SP series). Keep up the good work and keep em comming

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 46
- 6/21/2000 1:08:00 AM   
Antonius

Though I prefer WWII, i suppose I'd like a modern game too, but with - attack helos treated as air support, only they would back away once they'd fired instead of crossing the map -transport helos treated as the para carrying cargos (but no landing casualties and less dispersal from the target hexes) - limited accuracy for anything that fires through smoke (shouldn't it make all laser range-finders useless ?); coupled with the mass of system damage tanks suffer in SPWAW this would prevent "vision superiority" to be too much of an advantage - much better designed unit costs (for instance in SP2 a T-90 is about the same cost as the US hi-tech tanks while much less effective) WWI would be great too... if something can be found to simulate - the infantry charges (maybe very limited command points and only large formations ?) - real hand-to-hand combat (with bayonets !) Once you've accomplished that, you will gone half the way towards a good civil war/napoleonic game for which multi-hex formations would also be needed :-) And then you can even make a new version for SPWAW including computer-handled formation manoeuvers ! :-)

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 47
- 6/21/2000 1:19:00 AM   
Dean Robb

quote:

Originally posted by Dave R: By shifting the emphasis away from the big hypothetical 'what if' battles, to the smaller 'bushfire' conflicts, many of the problems of such a big time period would be negated, and in my oppinion a very refreshing change!
Some of the problems might be solved, yup. And I can see some of the fights, too! Bay of Pigs II, Castro vs Babtista redux, Czechs vs USSR (what if the Army had joined the anti-Soviet side?), Belgians in the Congo, French in IndoChina, Mao vs Kai Sheck on the mainland...lots of fertile territory there! [This message has been edited by Dean Robb (edited 06-20-2000).]

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 48
- 6/21/2000 5:11:00 AM   
Big.Toe

I like the sound of this. I wouldn't mind play a few senarios from the book Red Army by Ralph Peters. USSR v West Germany. Go for it!

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 49
- 6/21/2000 5:45:00 AM   
Dice4Eyes

I like it but i have to agree that including 1950-2005 is stretching the engine a bit thin. 1950 to 1982 is my suggestion, why 82 because i got a scenario idea off course. ------------------ Ever played chess with death Mvh Daniel E.

Divide et Impera Daniel E

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 50
- 6/21/2000 7:04:00 AM   
troopie

The problem with cutting off in 1982 is, you cut that nasty little set to in SWA off in the middle. Say 1950 to 1975, with the end of the Vietnam War and the Portuguese pull-out of their colonies as the period mark. Then do 1975 to 2005 as the second half, with the electronic battlefield and the later "little wars". Of course this cuts off the Bush war in the middle, but hey, you can't have everything. troopie "If you can keep your head while everyone about you is losing theirs, you just don't understand the situation."

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 51
- 6/21/2000 7:35:00 AM   
Sabot

Hi y'all Just wanted to throw in my two cents; I think a modern version would be fun, but as I've seen mentioned earlier I would rather the time frame be small enough to concentrate on bringing a specific era's tactics to life. I would really like to see some gaming in the 60's to to late 70's, especially the Egypt/Israeli conflict (the birthplace of modern tank warfare). You guys are good, I would pay money for such a game. I wish you guys the best.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 52
- 6/21/2000 8:00:00 AM   
Dice4Eyes

quote:

Originally posted by troopie: The problem with cutting off in 1982 is, you cut that nasty little set to in SWA off in the middle. Say 1950 to 1975, with the end of the Vietnam War and the Portuguese pull-out of their colonies as the period mark. Then do 1975 to 2005 as the second half, with the electronic battlefield and the later "little wars". Of course this cuts off the Bush war in the middle, but hey, you can't have everything. troopie "If you can keep your head while everyone about you is losing theirs, you just don't understand the situation."
Yeah i now but you cant blame a dude for trying. Muuhahahahahah Havn't i told you, dont feed the Swede. ------------------ Ever played chess with death Mvh Daniel E.

Divide et Impera Daniel E

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 53
- 6/21/2000 9:23:00 AM   
troopie

Didn't say you shouldn't try. Re: Ever play chess with Death? Isn't that Sweden's national game? I have, I won, I cheated. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 54
- 6/21/2000 9:33:00 AM   
Kangshen

Scanning through all the requests for a modern version of SPWW, there seems a heck of a lot of nostalgia (going by the handles) for ole' WW2 simply because it had the Waffen SS. (please correct me if I'm wrong) Hey, there are plenty of elite military formations in modern armies that could be replicated if you really want to, from the IDF special formations like Golani though to the British Paras and Spetznaz (and the PRCs own Naval Assault Brigades - who have fought - and defeated - ARVN, NVA, ROC and Philippino units in the last 26 years. Unless its small units in cool camo uniforms fighting impossible odds. Well, don't forget Croatia's "HOS" Militia Brigade, who defended Vukovar against the Serbs while dressed up in full Waffen ss camo gear...well..it makes life interesting I guess...

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 55
- 6/21/2000 9:43:00 AM   
Big.Toe

Kangshen, OT I know, but you've got me interested. Was that battle with the Serbs and Croats in the recent bother or actually in WW2? Might sound like a silly Q given that the were wearing WW2 uniforms, but I thought I'd ask any way. BTW do you know the outcome?

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 56
- 6/21/2000 10:13:00 AM   
Kerg

Count Kerg in, Kai!

Field Marshal Kerg, Combat Command Stats-> Games Played = 141, Points/game = 4179, <br />Average Placing = 3.4, W% = 28%, L% = 29%, D% = 44%, Total Points 589,232, Leagues Entered = 10, Top Three Finish % = 80

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 57
- 6/21/2000 10:18:00 AM   
Kangshen

Hi Big Toe - the Battle of Vukovar was actually a siege during the Croation "war of Independence" in 1991/92. The regular Croation armed forces were still being organised and there loads of paramilitary outfits, unusually for such formations, well armed and equipped and trained. The HOS militia were the military arm of the Croation Party of Rights, a pretty much extremist nationalist formation that harked back to WW2. They went all the way by adopting WW2 Croation, Axis and Ustacha insignia and uniforms (who knows where these came from..re-enactors cast offs, movie props?!?!) Anyway, they fought well, holding of JNA mechanised and armoured units for a month or so, but their politics alienated them from the regular Croat military (and everyone else for that matter!), and they were eventually wiped out (the JNA took NO prisoners). The HOS commander, Anton Paraga, was later jailed by the Croation military for subversion.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 58
- 6/21/2000 10:55:00 PM   
ChrisMcDee

Hey, how about a hypathetical game where all units and countries between The Boer War and now were made and armies from different eras were pitted against each other, with the old armies far outnumbering the modern ones. NO? Okay then, so it's a bad idea. I just want to say that I'm doing some coursework on Vietnam, and can you tell me of any sites where I can get some good research, or even if any wargame would be Ed... Educ.....Educational (Groan), as this would be an excuse for even more wargaming by me! ------------------ Verior Procella

Verior Procella

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 59
- 6/22/2000 12:09:00 AM   
Nikademus

I would like to cast my preference for a SP:Modern over a specialzed SP:Nam (if one has to choose) the SP series certainly seems detail oriented enough to me to be able to provide decent scenerios dedicated to that conflict as well as provide material or other 'modern' eras

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI