Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake/publish?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake/publish? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 2:49:00 AM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: RBWhite

X-Com all the way!!!!!

Download and try running X Com in Moslo on your machine.

Not even that would work. It is not speed, it wants either expanded memory or the other one and my PC and OS only has the one it does not want. No option to get the other one either.

Dang Win ME!!!!!!!

Only I would have the same problem as with BON, no passwords. Rule books are both long gone. That is why I would like to have a re-release with no changes. I would gladly pay 19.95 per copy for each XCom and BON.

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 31
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 2:57:45 AM   
mogami

Hi, Just make a start up disk with DOS and the memory type you need.
Is it EMS or XMS? I'll make a file with what you need and send it to you. Copy it onto a 3.5 and start your machine with it.

< Message edited by Mogami -- 1/26/2005 8:10:35 PM >

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 32
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:14:33 AM   
2ndACR

Do I look and sound computer literate?

I have just enough computer knowledge to be really dangerous to some one else's computer if they were dumb enough to ask me to help with a problem.

Once I get back from Iraq, if they ever give me my orders, I am planning on upgrading my computer anyway. Buy a new one that is. I think ME was the only operating system that does not allow you to setup a different memory type.

But I am illiterate when it comes to messing with config sys, boot disc's etc. I even got to where I do not even de-frag my HD. I just copy save files etc to a cd and do a complete wipe of the HD using the disc that came with the PC.

edit: I will find out which my PC has. Back in a few. Now I can not even figure out how to tell what my memory type my PC is using. I deleted the games in question long ago from my HD. I do know that 20 megs will be plenty to run the game.

< Message edited by 2ndACR -- 1/26/2005 7:20:06 PM >

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 33
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:15:30 AM   
RBWhite

I agree with Mogami make a boot disk.

I know I had X-Com UFO Defense running in Win98SE & Me. But I have the Microprose Classic Series on CD-Rom.

Conventional Memory
EMS
XMS

Do you remember which one?

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 34
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:21:48 AM   
2ndACR

Nope, see above and I can not remember how to figure out what my machine is running right now.

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 35
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:38:43 AM   
Stavka_lite

I would really like to see the Europa series redone. Harpoon needs to be done as well and I would really like to see Dracht Nacht Osten, Oh wait they are doing that one. When are we going to start seeing some teasers about War in Russia? I am very impressed with WitP and I am sure that WiR will be even better.

Yes, it is a dry heat... but so is a bloody blast furnace!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 36
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 5:49:49 AM   
pasternakski

I've got a rock-solid C64 emulator and over 100 transcribed games, including 25 or so old SSI games and some war and strategy games from other publishers. I like 'em. I have no interest in some revisionist cyberpunk smearing X graphics on them and imposing new execution sequences.

Anyone remember Grigsby's "Carrier Force?" Simple, straightforward, and attuned to a "you either perform flawlessly or die" vibe. Ya can't improve on it, it was what it is and it's still great.

AH's only excellent computer title, "Dreadnoughts - War in the North Atlantic" (recreation of the Bismarck chase) is a close second, and I would hate to see it changed in the slightest way. You are Lutjens, and the British give you a hell of a run for your money. The combat sequences are based on AH's old "Jutland" and revised "Bismarck" games and are still a kick. The South Atlantic Graf Spee campaign is pretty good, too, although the Spee is a little tougher than she ought to be (I stern chased her with the Repulse one time and caught an 11" shell in the forward magazine that really p1ssed me off - I had four 15" guns shooting and Ludendorff was trying to hold me off with his three 11" stern guns - and I was one knot faster than he was at 28 to 27).

What's wrong with War of the Lance just as it is?

< Message edited by pasternakski -- 1/26/2005 10:52:08 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 37
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 6:58:20 AM   
ravinhood

Everyone doesn't own an emulator and the speed of todays systems doesn't handle many old dos games because it processes the information too fast and moslo doesn't work on these high end systems. I can watch my computer play out a "complete" game of SSI's Gettysburg in less than "TWO" minutes. The ai flies through the turns and within 2 minutes the complete game is over. Thus, when I play one side, I can't even see the ai movement or combat results, it's just a flash of the screen. All the SSI civil war titles fly by like this. X-Com as well, I can't even watch the ai's turn in them it's so fast.

So, we need some upgrades to todays speed systems so we can play these wonderful games again on one system without all the emulators or dosboxes or soundexe emulators, or xms or ems or conventional memory setups.

War of the Lance is great, but, once again another game where the ai's movement flies and you miss a lot of the information. Of course adding an enhanced 3D tactical battlefield play ala the Total War Series would make War of the Lance even better. ;)

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 38
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 7:55:44 AM   
pasternakski

No, see, an emulator (there are a lot of them for C64 and the early Apple systems) is just a program that runs within the environment provided by your Windows pooter. They are free, and the games and peripherals are easy to get and are free, as well. They run at the same speed as the originals and can be annoyingly slow, not ultra-fast.

The games I am talking about need no changes or updating. They are fun just the way they are. I don't want them turned over to the later generations of revisers for "updating," because they will be forever ruined. I'm glad I got 'em, and I don't want your hand-me-down world.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 39
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 8:31:58 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Hi Mogami,

I would have to check which one I need. I have everything packed away at the moment though. It is only about 10 words total. They were all on a cheat sheet that came with the disc.

I got my copy of BON from SSI in one of their disc's that they put out way back that had a huge selection of classics. My previous copy was on the big old 5 1/4 floppies. The disc had "sword of Aaragon", and about 10 other old games on it.

I may have to wait until I find out my exact deployment date. I hate to unpack anything to hunt it down right now. Thanks though, I know where to find you.

Edit: I think the passwords came out of the actual rule book and not the OOB/editor book.

The Definitive Wargame Collection.

I've got it.

I'll PM you the words. Wouldn't want to offend Joel Billings. :)

edit -

Sent PM but the browser crashed right after. I'll resend but if you don't get it PM me an e-mail addy.

< Message edited by mjk428 -- 1/26/2005 10:39:14 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 40
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 10:06:06 AM   
Zap

quote:

None. Old games are just that

I say make the improvements, the game will look better and play better. You have to remake old titles because every war theme has been covered.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 41
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 12:11:52 PM   
Genisis

Hi Mogami,

Passwords for Battles of Napoleon:-

SECTION FIRST WORD SECOND WORD

1.1 Documentation There
3.11 Scenario This
4.0 Playing Because
4.2 Computer This
5.12 Objective Directory
5.41 Change When
6.2 Command When
6.3 Movement Once
6.36 Facing Every
7.0 Combat The
9.11 Leader Leaders
10.2 Rally During
13.4 The In
14.2 Create This
15.42 Unit The
16.4 Random Random
18.22 Rear The
18.25 Artillery This

Put it away it might rain!

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 42
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:07:34 PM   
RBWhite

How About

Starflight 1 & 2
Sentinel World
Megatraveller 1 & 2
Millennium, Return to Earth
Reunion

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 43
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:28:19 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Starflight 1 & 2

Oh god, no, not Starflight! That ate about 2 years of my life a hundred years ago

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 44
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:42:52 PM   
RBWhite

2ndACR

Been in that situation a few times myself [waitng for orders] back in the olden days. Only back then you got your orders two months after you were already in a combat zone. So you were always waiting for your oders to go the other way. It does work on you.

Maybe not getting your orders is a good sign. Hopefully after Iraq's elections we will be scaling down forces in theater.

Take care

Rick White

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 45
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:45:40 PM   
RBWhite

Almost A wife

So I bought the clue books.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 46
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:47:15 PM   
RBWhite

Almost forgot the Ring World Series

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 47
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 3:52:10 PM   
mogami

Hi, Is starflight the one where you spent like a billion turns mining planets only to discover the stuff you have been mining and using as fuel is alive?

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 48
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 4:14:19 PM   
RBWhite

Yes.

And very P_ssed Off!!!!

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 49
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 8:39:34 PM   
mogami

Hi, When I was stationed at the Philadlephia Naval Shipyard doing the service life extension program (SLEP) for Independance and Kitty Hawk I was night ship superintendant. Basic I had nothing to do for hours. I played Starflight. Passed many nights with that game. It was ahead of it time and very well made all things considered.

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 50
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 9:09:30 PM   
JosephL

ROFL, I can't believe I just read this:

Ravinhood: " 1) Roadwar 2000 (a great post holocaust rpg/tactical wargame (car wars style)) "

The ironic thing was I was just on the phone with David Heath yesterday saying how I was nostalgic about Rodwar Europa (which was Roadwar 2000's sequel) so I went back to play it and realized...

Its horrible! I can't believe I used to play that game so much! Maybe im spoiled by "modern" games now but I couldn't take it :(. It ruined my fond memory of Roadwar Europa/2000.

On the same note the same thing happend with Champions of Krynn...

However, my responce is:

Legends of Kesmai!.... I miss the early days of MMOGs :-)

-Joe

Joseph Lieberman

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 51
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/27/2005 11:30:39 PM   
SeaMonkey

Just to throw one of my favorite board games out there, the combination of Red Storm Rising and Hunt for Red October. I heard there was a computer game, but never played it, but I still have these two classics in mint condition.

(in reply to JosephL)
Post #: 52
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/28/2005 12:01:05 AM   
RBWhite

That was one of the best duty stations for active duty personel right up to the end of the 80"s. It was also well kept. The shipyard end looked like a shipyard.

If I spit real hard I could hit it, from where I'm sitting.

I have an updated version of the original Starflight, upgraded from RGB all the way to EGA. I think Sega also did it for Genisis machine.

Check out Starflight3.net.

Rick White

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 53
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/28/2005 8:08:37 AM   
ravinhood

Yeah I'd really enjoy seeing "STARFLIGHT" remade with 3D first person graphics ala Morrowind for landings on planets and looking for minerals and alien life. Then outer space 3D battles and several story lines, so the game would never get old.

That would surely be the game to end all games, lol, with an engine like that and all those planets to explore, it WOULD take a lifetime to play it out. I spent most of my games playing it just exploring planets and mining. For a commodore 64 game it was HUGE in play value and scope.

My Crew was Cpt. Kirk, Spock, Sulu, Avora(sp), Bones, and Scotty. Chekov was an alternate. (though some of them weren't human) hehe

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 54
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/28/2005 2:45:17 PM   
RBWhite

A few years back, 1986, when I was working & operating High Rise office buildings, the software store where we got alot of our preventive maintenance & operational programs had about 4 or 5 pc games on display.

I only remember two of them Starfight & Infiltrator (RGB). I walked past them 10 times before I bought them. The old mind set, computers were for work. IBM 8086 machines didn't even have a PC speaker way back, IBM said PC's were for work, what did they know.

Thats why I bought Franklin & Tandy 8086's for home. I upgraded the Franklin with a 20 mb hard drive kit. My first real PC was the Tandy Sensation 25 mhz, 107 mb hard drive, 4 meg. mem. & a one speed cd-rom.

Bring back the old days when you went into a games store like Babbages and actually coudn't make up your mind which game(s) to buy.

Rick White

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 55
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/28/2005 8:56:35 PM   
Hertston

I know gameplay is king and all, but what I'd really like to see is Steel Panthers 2/SPMBT with a top notch 3D engine

Age of Rifles would be cool too, but I'd settle for a Windows XP compatible version of the old one..

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 56
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/28/2005 10:41:42 PM   
RBWhite

Yes; Steel Panthers 2 was by far the best and Age of Rifles was the best in it's heyday. I own all the SPs and AOR and expansions.

But sadly I don't think the Source Codes for them will ever be released, and trying to improve upon them without the codes would only produce problems waiting too happen.

SPWAW 8.30 fantasic game, but it's a large problem if it doesn't like your machines configuration.

< Message edited by RBWhite -- 1/28/2005 8:44:21 PM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 57
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/29/2005 12:29:31 AM   
Cmdrcain

Looking over my many boxes of old games..

Colonial Conquest
Geopolitique 1990 (update it for 2000's)
Imperium Galactium
Stellar Crusade
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Gazallonaire

And then also

Silent Service (First one) Silent Service II just wasn't seemingly as fun

And USAAF!!

BTR of Course was put out but it was and is too much compared to the USAAF
which was more fun to play.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 58
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/29/2005 12:43:35 AM   
RBWhite

I'm trying to remember all the ones I gave away years ago to younger family members but can't.

Still have

StarFleet
Gateway 1 & 2
Ascendancy
Millennia: Altered Destinies
Protostar
Alien Legacy

plus all the ones already listed above in the thrad and boxes full out in the storeage shed.

Any Sub sim except Silent Hunter II (stunk) Silent Hunter II that is.

Forgot Moonbase & StarGlider 1 & 2

< Message edited by RBWhite -- 1/28/2005 10:53:51 PM >

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 59
RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake... - 1/29/2005 1:30:20 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: KGV

There was an old spectrum game called either sink or hunt the bismark, or just bismark that was outstanding at the time. At least thats how I remember it

I know it would be more minutia, which would turn some people off, but wouldn't WITP be more interesting if you could control the repair crews and you did in STB (with the option to have them repaired on auto. as now of course)? That repair crew portion of the game was as interesting as anything, because sometimes you actually let water in for example in order to level the ship out. I must admit that may sound awfully dull, but that portion of the game was really interesting.

I think the game was called "Computer Bismark".

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 1/28/2005 5:48:01 PM >

(in reply to KGV)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What OLD titles would you like to see Matrix remake/publish? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI