Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Accolades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Accolades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Accolades - 6/21/2000 7:24:00 AM   
defenseman

Even though all the messages before mine echo the sentiment, I still have to post. THANKS GUYS! My girlfriend is from Germany (Erlangen) and since she is a bit younger (about 12 years) she's not up on history much. I am planning on using SPWAW as a teaching tool. When ever I see something WWII related and spout out a name of a unit (most often a German unit) and it's name in my pidgeon German, this always happens; Tanja: Gawd, your German is awful! Me: Thats what I have YOU for! Her: How do you know all this stuff? Me: What stuff? The war stuff? Her: Yeah. Me: Mostly from watching shows like Battleline, reading books, and playing games like SPWAW. Wanna learn? Her: Yeah, why not. With luck guys, another SPWAW and gaming convert. With a Victoria's Secret body no less! But, getting back to the original topic, it would not be AS possible without GREAT artwork in GREAT games like SPWAW! Thanks for your time guys! (WB, please throw the artwork guys some food, they're looking thin!) ------------------ Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"
Post #: 1
- 6/21/2000 10:22:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Oh, I have plates outside of their cells, Defenseman That way they can smell the food and work a little harder You and I are blessed old dudes to have luscious young ladies who support our gaming. My Beth is like your sweet lady. It is a comfort. Thanks for the accolades. I'll pass them on to the guys. I'll even put three raisins on their plate for dessert instead of two Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 2
- 6/22/2000 7:29:00 PM   
robot

Speaking of wifes and i do have one. For over 40 years now. One hell of a lady. Sometime when she is watching tv and i am playing. I put on my head phones so the big guns dont disturb her. She always tells me to take them off. She says the sounds let her know im still there and thats all she really needs. Just the knowledge im still alive and kicking. ------------------ Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 3
- 6/22/2000 7:46:00 PM   
Guderian

quote:

Originally posted by defenseman: Even though all the messages before mine echo the sentiment, I still have to post. THANKS GUYS! My girlfriend is from Germany (Erlangen) and since she is a bit younger (about 12 years) she's not up on history much. I am planning on using SPWAW as a teaching tool. When ever I see something WWII related and spout out a name of a unit (most often a German unit) and it's name in my pidgeon German, this always happens; Tanja: Gawd, your German is awful! Me: Thats what I have YOU for! Her: How do you know all this stuff? Me: What stuff? The war stuff? Her: Yeah. Me: Mostly from watching shows like Battleline, reading books, and playing games like SPWAW. Wanna learn? Her: Yeah, why not. With luck guys, another SPWAW and gaming convert. With a Victoria's Secret body no less! But, getting back to the original topic, it would not be AS possible without GREAT artwork in GREAT games like SPWAW! Thanks for your time guys! (WB, please throw the artwork guys some food, they're looking thin!)
Erm.. is your gfirend 12 years younger, or is she 12 years old ???? :-))))

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 4
- 6/23/2000 8:29:00 PM   
robot

Defenseman i used to play the board game where you had to stack all the little cardboard on top of each other. Roll the dice total up the score and see who won. Then they came out on computor, and it did all that for you. Then blue and the gray where they faced off and fired at each other. Lets say for 40 years i guess. This game spwaw has all the things i wished for over the years and some i never even thought about. Even with some of the bugs and flaws i would have sat and played it. I love all the interaction and yes the mistakes i make in command. The sounds are awesome and graphics so realistic. I just hope i can live up to command this game requires. Thanks to all who helped put it together for us one hell of a job. ------------------ Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 5
- 6/23/2000 10:20:00 PM   
Wild Bill

You guys know how to motivate us, that is for sure. Recognition by one's peers in the hobby is the highest accolade one can receive. Thanks for your firm support in our struggles to do this right....Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 6
- 6/23/2000 10:38:00 PM   
xopher

When I was little, I used to sit in school and do these incredibly detailed top down sketches of war scenes on graph paper. There were little houses, roads, paths, trees, cars, guns, tanks, and soldiers. Everything was perfect right down to the shadows and shading... I always thought it would be cool if there was a way to move the vehicles and soldiers without erasing them This is it. It's as if you have animated my imagination. Thanks guys. You have turned a good game into an incredible one, and I am really enjoying it!

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 7
- 6/23/2000 11:03:00 PM   
Panther

Guys I feel like pup compared to you. You talk in decades about marrige and or playing SL\ASL. Panther

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 8
- 6/23/2000 11:09:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Some of us have lived to see this hobby evolve over the last 35 years into a most sophisticated pasttime, Panther. Wargaming has been around for hundreds, thousands of years, but the modern version of widespread wargaming is a fairly recent event. As a boy, I taught myself how to play chess. Then I substituted Rooks, Knights, pawns with small plastic soldiers . My first wargames in a box were purchased in 1967, by the pioneer, Avalon Hill. They were Midway and Afrika Korps. Little did I realize I would end up here, Panther. The Gray Panther The Gray Panther ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 9
- 6/25/2000 10:38:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

Yeah, I played Avalon Hill's "Tactics II" for the first time in 1961. Division level units. By 1966, I was Playing their games in tournaments by U.S. Mail.
quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Some of us have lived to see this hobby evolve over the last 35 years into a most sophisticated pasttime, Panther. Wargaming has been around for hundreds, thousands of years, but the modern version of widespread wargaming is a fairly recent event. As a boy, I taught myself how to play chess. Then I substituted Rooks, Knights, pawns with small plastic soldiers . My first wargames in a box were purchased in 1967, by the pioneer, Avalon Hill. They were Midway and Afrika Korps. Little did I realize I would end up here, Panther. The Gray Panther The Gray Panther

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 10
- 6/25/2000 12:16:00 PM   
Dean Robb

quote:

Originally posted by Panther: Guys I feel like pup compared to you. You talk in decades about marrige and or playing SL\ASL. Panther
[Dean reaches for his Social Security check...] I remember well when I was a teenager and SL first came out. I used to drive 30 miles each way to play against a friend on weekends. He devoted an entire pingpong table to our SL battles (occasionally we'd play Panzer Blitz for a break, or other games of that ilk) so that we could play long scenarios and just pick up where we left off when I had to go home. [Dean complains about the size of his Social Security check...]

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 11
- 6/25/2000 12:21:00 PM   
Dean Robb

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: As a boy, I taught myself how to play chess. Then I substituted Rooks, Knights, pawns with small plastic soldiers . My first wargames in a box were purchased in 1967, by the pioneer, Avalon Hill. They were Midway and Afrika Korps. Little did I realize I would end up here, Panther.
I remember those! I had them both, too. As I was only in my early teens, that was my first exposure to names like El Alamein, Kassarine Pass, Patton, Rommell.... Midway I knew about because I was given a book when I was in the 4th grade named "Great American Fighter Pilots of WWII" (I've still got it...battered, but there!) and the Battle of Midway was in there, of course. I used to build aircraft carriers and planes out of my Legos and re-enact Midway, Coral Sea, et al on my bedroom floor... Although PacWar is much more engrossing, I sometimes miss the simplistic pleasures of dropping a "bomb" and taking clumps of Legos out of my CVs (which were like over a foot long...I had a LOT of Legos!) to simulate damage...

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 12
- 6/25/2000 3:38:00 PM   
Armand

Ahh Panzeblitz... my first wargame ! I Didn't dare to try ASL (quite an impressive game), but I used to play Yakinto's "88", which was very close to SWW2 IMHO. Armand [This message has been edited by Armand (edited 06-25-2000).]

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 13
- 6/25/2000 4:03:00 PM   
Infanterie

quote:

Originally posted by Dean Robb: Midway I knew about because I was given a book when I was in the 4th grade named "Great American Fighter Pilots of WWII" (I've still got it...battered, but there!) and the Battle of Midway was in there, of course. I used to build aircraft carriers and planes out of my Legos and re-enact Midway, Coral Sea, et al on my bedroom floor... Although PacWar is much more engrossing, I sometimes miss the simplistic pleasures of dropping a "bomb" and taking clumps of Legos out of my CVs (which were like over a foot long...I had a LOT of Legos!) to simulate damage...
Dean, I've been there too, simulating WW2 battles with lego-units. *smiles* Oh, those are golden memories, back in the late '70's. Me and my friend had battles size of an epic, both at sea and on land. I remeber specializing in building U-boots, I wish I had pictures of them. We even made little insignia for the small lego-men. Hehe Those small batteries we threw to simulate shells and torpedoes made a lot of damage

"The bravery of being out of range..."

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 14
- 6/27/2000 5:27:00 AM   
defenseman

quote:

Originally posted by Guderian: Erm.. is your gfirend 12 years younger, or is she 12 years old ???? :-))))
Hi Guderian! All I can say is two things: 1) My girlfriend is 30 - COUGH - years old. Can't tell you her exact age, don't like her couch that much! 2) She is NOT 12 years old and I am NOT pulling a Roman Polansky! ------------------ Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Accolades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI