Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitP Utility - update available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Utility - update available Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 2/27/2005 2:07:42 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: CobraAus

quote:

or did you have something else in mind?

I am trying to find out the maps Nth Sth orintaion at the moment . wath I was thinking of was a compass rose portraded in the utilities graphics somewhere) when in full screen there is a large vacant panel top right would be Ideal) orintated to the maps nth/south
from that players sould be able to plot intercepts based on TF sightings or radio transmissions - unfortunatly I do not now what your programs capable of - I am Also looking at the possiblity of incorporating compass headings on the actual maps

Cobra Aus

Like the compass rose.

I noticed your post on the direction. I've always assumed that top of the map is North, wherever you are. I think you'll find that there are only 6 directions listed in any sightings: East, Southeast, Southwest, West, Northwest and Northeast. These correspond to the six hex sides assuming the top of the map is always North. At least I've assumed this is what they mean.

Bodhi

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 61
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 2/27/2005 2:09:28 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: medicff

Thanks downloaded, but didn't read the entire changes as I thought it was just the manual. Thanks Pat

It was meant to be only the manual, but thought I'd better fix that problem missed sighting type problem.

Bodhi

(in reply to medicff)
Post #: 62
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/2/2005 12:01:38 AM   
CobraAus

Hi Bodhi just to let you know after testing every thing seems to be working fine except 1 item

csv files

the files that are produced what are their file names and where are they saved to
I have tried 3 or 4 times now to get a ship csv file and either its not happening or I am looking for it in wrong dir.
help needed in above area this will help in cross checking the new combined mod

Cobra Aus

< Message edited by CobraAus -- 3/1/2005 10:02:01 PM >

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 63
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/2/2005 1:47:00 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

Hi Bodhi just to let you know after testing every thing seems to be working fine except 1 item

csv files

the files that are produced what are their file names and where are they saved to
I have tried 3 or 4 times now to get a ship csv file and either its not happening or I am looking for it in wrong dir.
help needed in above area this will help in cross checking the new combined mod

Cobra Aus

The csv files are saved to the main WITP SCEN folder as ScenarioXXXAG.csv, ScenarioXXXLCU.csv, ScenarioXXXShips.csv, & ScenarioXXXBases.csv files where XXX is the scenario number. Note that these aren't full dumps, just the parts of the database that I needed. When this was written there wasn't any other program to get this information. Since then arkady and michaelm have both produced dump utilities that provide more information if you need it.

Just checked my version and it seems to be working, but my version is newer than that posted as it contains combat report information. This update should be available in a day or two.

Bodhi

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 64
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/2/2005 5:39:34 AM   
scout1

quote:

Just checked my version and it seems to be working, but my version is newer than that posted as it contains combat report information. This update should be available in a day or two.

Combat Report info ........
Now THAT'S a nice addition.

Don't know if anyone has asked this, but I got one for you. There are times that I wnat to coordinate multiple attacks being launched from multiple bases using multiple TF's. Is there a way to input the start/finish locations and provide the date you wish to arrive and have it compute the TF speed required ?

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 65
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/2/2005 6:30:10 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

Hey Bodhi,

One other question for a future version. Is there any easy way to add a zoom feature for the map or inleiu of that a map that covers more territory ?

I'd say almost no chance of a zoom feature (either in or out). With the current version, if you run at a higher screen resolution than 1024x768, you can make the window larger and most of the extra space gained will be used by the map. What I may do is to separate the options/report tabs and place them on a separate window, but I'm not yet certain that this would gain anything as I, for one, would always have this window displayed in front of the map anyway.

As for the fonts, they're all there. I assume the Net Framework is 1.1 and up to date as well?

1024 X 768 is a "higher" resolution? I just threw away three old 17" Monitors that did 1280x1024.... I currently run at 1920x1400.....

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 66
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/2/2005 6:39:27 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

Combat Report info ........
Now THAT'S a nice addition.

It's a pretty simple initial implemenation in this version. Here are a couple of screens to show how it looks.

First the map with the hexes that have "active" combat reports marked, and the "active" combat reports for the current hex.

Next the options where you can switch the combat report icon on/off or set the filters designating "active" combat reports.

As you can see from the numbering, I've even managed to get the manual updated as well.

quote:

Don't know if anyone has asked this, but I got one for you. There are times that I wnat to coordinate multiple attacks being launched from multiple bases using multiple TF's. Is there a way to input the start/finish locations and provide the date you wish to arrive and have it compute the TF speed required ?

You could, but as you only seem to get cruise or full speed options for the TF I'm not sure how helpful it would be. I suppose I could make a switch to make the current naval planner work in reverse: you enter an arrival date and TF speed and it gives the required departure date.

I think what you really need is a Operation/Invasion Planner. I know Ted (tc464) has some good ideas on what to do for this: maybe he'll stop by and post what he intends.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Bodhi -- 3/2/2005 12:40:03 PM >

Bodhi

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 67
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/2/2005 8:11:44 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

quote:

I'd say almost no chance of a zoom feature (either in or out). With the current version, if you run at a higher screen resolution than 1024x768, you can make the window larger and most of the extra space gained will be used by the map. What I may do is to separate the options/report tabs and place them on a separate window, but I'm not yet certain that this would gain anything as I, for one, would always have this window displayed in front of the map anyway.

As for the fonts, they're all there. I assume the Net Framework is 1.1 and up to date as well?

1024 X 768 is a "higher" resolution? I just threw away three old 17" Monitors that did 1280x1024.... I currently run at 1920x1400.....

No, I didn't say 1024 X 768 is a "higher" resolution read the post again (or the bit highlighted in blue ). The reason 1024 X 768 was mentioned was that's the resolution that WitP uses.

Bodhi

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 68
WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/2/2005 1:07:05 PM   
Bodhi

New update available.

Latest WitP Utility is here

• Added simple display and reporting of combat reports
  • Added extra tab for reporting active combat reports for current hex
  • Added extra options tab for designating the types of active combat reports
  • Modified the location of icons within a hex
  • Modified order of tabs on the report window
  • Modified the display order of oil/fuel/supply/resources, both on map and on the bases tab
  • Updated the reference manual

Bodhi

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 69
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/2/2005 2:54:00 PM   
Wilson ESQ

Bodhi,
If you already have the utility, do you still just download the whole new version of the utility and go through the set-up process? Thanks for all your hard work.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 70
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/2/2005 4:36:30 PM   
Crimguy

Combat reports are a really nice addition. I'm finding it very useful since I turned off the combat summary option in the game.

I'm still having the issue with parts of the screen being hidden behind the taskbar at the bottom, though. Seems I need a resolution > 1024x768 to see the whole display at one time. If I maximize the window, I still lose the tabs (see graphic below).

Hope that can be addressed in your next tweak.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 71
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/2/2005 7:04:07 PM   
scout1

My, haven't we been a busy-bee lately ....

Very cool indeed !

Relative to my question regarding an "planner" feature for departure date to hit an arrival date at a given location (yeah, I thought about the limitation of tf speed settings messing with my idea (after the fact - isn't that always the case). Your idea of picking departure date is a good one. Is this limited currently for base to base or does it support mid-ocean hexes as well ? ie could I use it to attempt a mid ocean intercept (of my own stuff or the other guys ?)

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 72
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/2/2005 11:36:35 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilson ESQ

Bodhi,
If you already have the utility, do you still just download the whole new version of the utility and go through the set-up process? Thanks for all your hard work.

Procedure to update is:

• Download the updated file
  • Uninstall the existing utility
  • Extract the files from the download
  • Install the new version to the same folder as the previous version

Sorry it's a bit involved.

Bodhi

(in reply to Wilson ESQ)
Post #: 73
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/2/2005 11:51:05 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Combat reports are a really nice addition. I'm finding it very useful since I turned off the combat summary option in the game.

I'm still having the issue with parts of the screen being hidden behind the taskbar at the bottom, though. Seems I need a resolution > 1024x768 to see the whole display at one time. If I maximize the window, I still lose the tabs (see graphic below).

Hope that can be addressed in your next tweak.

From that image the top seems fine, there isn't anything above the tabs at the top. As for the bottom, it's just the taskbar masking the bottom of the window. On the task bar options you can uncheck the "Always on top" option, or check the "Autohide" option. That should fix the problem (if you're running WITP in windowed mode as well, you'll probably want to do one of these anyway).

Attachment (1)

Bodhi

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 74
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/2/2005 11:53:41 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

Relative to my question regarding an "planner" feature for departure date to hit an arrival date at a given location (yeah, I thought about the limitation of tf speed settings messing with my idea (after the fact - isn't that always the case). Your idea of picking departure date is a good one. Is this limited currently for base to base or does it support mid-ocean hexes as well ? ie could I use it to attempt a mid ocean intercept (of my own stuff or the other guys ?)

Currently you're limited to selecting a port from the list. It would be possible to alter the program so that it has the option of using the currently selected hex as the depature/waypoint/destination though.

Bodhi

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 75
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 12:10:33 AM   
Crimguy

Well, I usually run windowed applications maximized. When I maximize yours, I lose the top row of tabs. Since the tabs are more important than the horizontal elevator, I run it in a window.

I guess I will utilize one or your workarounds, but I kinda like keeping the taskbar visible at all times. Now that I recall, WitP did the same thing, and that annoyed me too.

quote:

From that image the top seems fine, there isn't anything above the tabs at the top. As for the bottom, it's just the taskbar masking the bottom of the window. On the task bar options you can uncheck the "Always on top" option, or check the "Autohide" option. That should fix the problem (if you're running WITP in windowed mode as well, you'll probably want to do one of these anyway).

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 76
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 1:44:14 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy
Now that I recall, WitP did the same thing, and that annoyed me too.

The original premise was that you'd be running WITP in windowed mode and the utility simultaneously, hence the behaviour/size of the program. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Bodhi

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 77
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 3/3/2005 3:16:53 AM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

quote:

No, I didn't say 1024 X 768 is a "higher" resolution read the post again (or the bit highlighted in blue ). The reason 1024 X 768 was mentioned was that's the resolution that WitP uses.

Sounds like he just wanted to brag...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 78
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 3:17:03 AM   
Crimguy

I think your solution will work fine. I dont want to sound ungrateful. I think your app is terrific, and it's greatly enhancing my experience with the game.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 79
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 4:55:38 AM   
erstad

OK, downloaded Witp_utility for the first time. Re-ran one turn from a PBEM, and it looks really cool and useful but...

The combats report tab is empty. The combat file is in the new directory created by the tool; sigint and operations reports view fine; but the combat report tab is blank.

Any ideas?

One comment is that I play two day turns - any chance that confuses it?

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 80
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 5:45:42 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

OK, downloaded Witp_utility for the first time. Re-ran one turn from a PBEM, and it looks really cool and useful but...

The combats report tab is empty. The combat file is in the new directory created by the tool; sigint and operations reports view fine; but the combat report tab is blank.

Any ideas?

One comment is that I play two day turns - any chance that confuses it?

Don't think the 2 day turns should be a problem - not that I've tested it. Maybe it's something I should look at. Is anyone else using the utility and 2 day turns?

Anyway, let's just confirm we have all the data first.

Assuming the save slot is 10, in the 010 sub-folder of WITP's main SAVE folder do you have the following files (and do they contain data) com_operationsreport.txt, com_asigint.txt, com_jsigint.txt, and, most importantly in this case, com_combatreport.txt? If not, let me know.

If you do, don't worry things seem to be working. I guess you're game isn't new and has been going on a while? In that case there's a possibility that the utility may not have the correct game date yet. Try restarting the utility and checking if the game date is in fact correct. If it isn't, it should catch up and set itself correctly after the next turn is completed (either using the auto turn resolution function or the manual check for new intel/ops).

Bodhi

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 81
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 6:29:45 AM   
CobraAus

hi Bodhi me again in susing the util I find that it be very usefull to have a secondary sort function inthe intel/ops data area
1 to sort the day column
2 to sort the details odthe reports

maybe use a combination of left cntrl button and mouse key or even the the right hand mouse button -should be possible

Cobra Aus

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 82
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 6:32:41 AM   
scout1

quote:

Any ideas?

One other idea. The combat report window will be blank until you click on a hex where a battle occurred. Then the combat report for that hex is shown in the window. This one took me a bit to figure out.
Hope it helps.

Bodhi, Really sweet

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 83
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 7:37:28 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

hi Bodhi me again in susing the util I find that it be very usefull to have a secondary sort function inthe intel/ops data area
1 to sort the day column
2 to sort the details odthe reports

maybe use a combination of left cntrl button and mouse key or even the the right hand mouse button -should be possible

Cobra Aus

If you want the sorting to be by day, then one of the other columns, first sort by the "other" column by clicking on the column header, then sort by the day column by clicking on the column header. That way to should get the ordering by the day first, then the "other" column. I think I should have put in another column for intel - intel type - but there's so little room in the list views, I tend to rely on the filtering to exclude the ones I'm not interested in at that time. I agree the format is ideal, thanks for the ideas, we'll get it right yet.

Bodhi

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 84
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 7:43:06 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

One other idea. The combat report window will be blank until you click on a hex where a battle occurred. Then the combat report for that hex is shown in the window. This one took me a bit to figure out.
Hope it helps.

Bodhi, Really sweet

Errr, that would be the most obvious thing to check, sorry I missed it and thanks for picking up on it. Of course I should have mentioned that the combat reports are handled slightly differently to intel/ops. As there's so much info available, I ditched the complete listing of all "active" reports, and gave all the space to the reports for the current hex. That's why the combat reports tab is blank until you select a hex with active reports. Maybe you should be writing the manual.

Glad you find it useful.

Bodhi

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 85
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 8:26:01 AM   
erstad

That was it - thanks!

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 86
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 8:38:39 PM   
Sonny

Is the big gap in the cold zone due to the games definition of the zone or your program?

BTW - good stuff.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 87
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/3/2005 9:21:48 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny

Is the big gap in the cold zone due to the games definition of the zone or your program?

BTW - good stuff.

Here's the code Mike Wood posted for cold zone definition
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

// ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
bool ColdZoneN(i16_t x, i16_t y) 
{ 
bool answer=false; 

if(gScen.month>2 && gScen.month<11) 
return SSI_FALSE; 

// korea 
if(x>56 && x<68 && y<40) 
answer=true; 
// siberia 
else if(x>66 && x<86 && y<35) 
answer=true; 
// alaska and northern islands 
else if(x>88 && x<131 && y<41) 
answer=true; 

return(answer); 
} 

// -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
bool ColdZoneS(i16_t x, i16_t y) 
{ 
bool answer=false; 

if(gScen.month<5 || gScen.month>8) 
return SSI_FALSE; 

// new zealand 
if(y>141) 
answer=true; 

I think the utility implements this correctly, so it looks like the gap in columns 86 through 88 are from the game's definition. Looks like an oversight, but I don't think it'll have too much effect, apart from any Japanese carriers raiding the Aleutians in winter that is.

Bodhi

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 88
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/3/2005 10:15:09 PM   
Bodhi

New update available (03/03/2005).

Latest WitP Utility is here

• Fixed the scroll bars not covering the whole range of the map

Bodhi

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 89
RE: WitP Utility - new update available - 02/03/2005 - 3/4/2005 3:07:06 AM   
Sonny

I figured it was the definition. Don't think it will ever have an effect on the game either.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Utility - update available Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI