Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/4/2005 6:22:46 AM   
JamesM

Thank you Bodhi great update.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 91
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 2:25:51 AM   
HercMighty

I sent a email on some missed operations reports, let me know if you need more info. Thanks

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 92
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 3:05:11 AM   
bradfordkay

Bodhi, I have been using Andy's map (as you may recall from a question on a seperate thread), and have run into a slight problem. I have two installations of WITP; a regular WITP, and a WITP Mod which is the one with Andy's map. When I open up the utility, it is showing the bases out of position. When I play the game under my WITP Mod istallation, everything is lined up correctly. Could it be that the utility is being confused by two seperate installations?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 93
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 3:17:22 AM   
eMonticello

Brad,

For the moment, the utility requires the standard map. In the tools-> options menu, you need to set the 'War in the Pacific Map Art Path' to your art folder in the standard installation. Alternatively, you can create another folder in the mod installation that contains all the standard art files necessary for the utility. I believe you'll find a more complete explanation in the user manual.

Gary

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 94
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 3:50:49 AM   
bradfordkay

It also helps to have the game started BEFORE you open up the utility! I think this is what was confusing the program.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to eMonticello)
Post #: 95
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 3:58:38 AM   
Bodhi

Just in case anyone's in doubt, let me try to explain, hopefully without confusing you.

The program uses the following:

1. the hex info file (pwhex.dat) from the WitP folder
2. database files from the WitP SCEN sub folder
3. intel/ops/combat reports from the WitP folder
4. an icon file (from the WitP ART sub folder)
5. the map tile bitmaps (initially set to use those in the WitP ART folder)

There are two paths on the options menu that control where the utility will look for files ("War in the Pacific Path" - items 1-4 and also the location of any save files & "War in the Pacific Map Art Path" - item 5).
On starting for the first time (also on first use after installing an update - sorry) the program checks the registry for the location of the WitP folder and sets these paths according to the settings for WitP.

You can change these any time on the options window, BUT the "War in the Pacific Path" & "War in the Pacific Map Art Path" must point to a pwhex.dat and map tiles that agree - there's no way for me to check this, it's something you must do.

So, for example, let's say you have two installs, with the following structures (not all folders shown)

C:\Matrix Games\WitP1
C:\Matrix Games\WitP1\SCEN
C:\Matrix Games\WitP1\ART
C:\Matrix Games\WitP1\SAVE

and

C:\Matrix Games\WitP_MapMod
C:\Matrix Games\WitP_MapMod\SCEN
C:\Matrix Games\WitP_MapMod\ART
C:\Matrix Games\WitP_MapMod\SAVE

and that the registry will return C:\Matrix Games\WitP1 as the WitP folder.

On first running the utility, the paths will be set as
"War in the Pacific Path" = C:\Matrix Games\WitP1
"War in the Pacific Map Art Path" = C:\Matrix Games\WitP1\ART

You can change the "War in the Pacific Map Art Path" to any other folder providing that it contains the map art tile bitmaps that are based on the original pwhex.dat file.

If you want to use Andrew's modified pwhex.dat file/map tiles for the case illustrated above, you'd need to set the folder paths to
"War in the Pacific Path" = C:\Matrix Games\WitP_MapMod
"War in the Pacific Map Art Path" = C:\Matrix Games\WitP_MapMod\ART

Of course if you have games using both versions, you'll have to swap the folders back and forth as you look at data from different games.

Have I totally confused you?

[Added in edit]
Of course I should have mentioned that the scenario files must also match the pwhex.dat file and the map. So there are three things that are interdependent: the pwhex.dat and the scenario database files, (path set via "War in the Pacific Path") and the map bitmap tiles (path set via "War in the Pacific Map Art Path").

< Message edited by Bodhi -- 3/8/2005 10:54:50 AM >

Bodhi

Post #: 96
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 3:59:20 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty

I sent a email on some missed operations reports, let me know if you need more info. Thanks

Thanks, will take a look and get back to you.

Bodhi

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 97
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 3:59:56 AM   
HercMighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

It also helps to have the game started BEFORE you open up the utility! I think this is what was confusing the program.

I thought you were supposed to start the utility then the game?

Post #: 98
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 4:04:10 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I thought you were supposed to start the utility then the game?

It shouldn't make any difference which you start first, let me know if it does!

Bodhi

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 99
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 7:54:37 AM   
bradfordkay

I am even a little more embarrassed now. Here's the situation:

I had an earlier version of the utility installed on my computer, which I had used with the original map. In January I started playing Andy's map mod, which I had installed in a seperate folder rather than use his utility to switch back and forth. I really haven't played the original map since, except to occaisionally look at it for differences in discussions here.

Today I downloaded the new version of the utility. I first used MS's load/unload files through the control panel to uninstall the original version of the utility and then installed the new version. You will note that I forgot to go into windows explorer and delete the remainder of the files. When I started up the utility, it had some saves to load, so I loaded one. Somehow, without my directing the utility to a destination folder for the maps, it found my mod folder and not my original one. This is probably because the original is just C:/WITP while the mod is under C:/MatrixGames/WITP_MOD and so it was found first. However the save in the utility file was made using the original pwhex file but the utility had found the new map.

Thus when I looked at the map in the utility the bases were off. I closed both programs, started the modified game again, then started the utility. Since I am now playing scen 116 rather than 15 I decided to make a new save in the utility. Of course this save had all th eright data.

None of this has anything to do with Bodhi's programming, just my own idiocy. My apologies for a false alarm.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 100
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 9:24:11 AM   
Bodhi

No problems Brad, thanks for clearing up the mystery.

I had considered this exact problem (and related ones), but couldn't think of a good way to check for all possibilities. I don't think checking for multiple WitP installs via multiple registry entries would work (it currently doesn't do this), as I think you can just copy the whole folder structure across to another folder to make a copy before you update WitP itself. I could scan for multiple exe files (I hate waiting for programs that scan whole disks for files ), but even knowing that multiple installs exist doesn't solve all possible problems.

Another possibility is to store some info on the scenario files and pwhex.dat (probably write date) for each "game" entered into the utility, and then check that they haven't changed each time the "game" is loaded. Yet another way may be to save the two paths for each "game". Currently, it relies on the user to keep a track of multiple installs manually. Unless this becomes a major problem for people, it may well stay this way.

Bodhi

Post #: 101
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/8/2005 9:33:52 AM   
bradfordkay

I don't see it as a problem, all it takes is someone being just a little more careful than was I. You've provided a manual method for us to take care of it, and that's all we should need.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 102
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/9/2005 12:17:46 AM   
HercMighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

quote:

Thanks, will take a look and get back to you.

Thanks for getting back I look forward to the next update.

Also,

Now that I have this program I have noticed that I will get an operational message saying something to the effect that "9 ships moving SE" but the mouse over text will say "10 ships" on the main map. Has anyone come across this? The operational reports within WITP will also say "9" just like the utility pulled out.

Regards.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 103
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/9/2005 8:22:18 AM   
bradfordkay

Another question Bodhi. I bounce my game back and forth between two computers, playing on my laptop at lunch at work and occaisionally late at night in bed. The rest of the time I play it on my desktop. How can I keep the utility's intelligence reports up to date on both machines when all turns are not processed on any one machine? Is there a way to do this? Thanks for your help.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 104
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/9/2005 8:40:15 AM   
Bodhi

Yes, there's a simple way, you'll just need to copy 6 files.

Assuming WitP is installed to C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific, and the "game" save slot is 10 you need to copy

• C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\SAVE\010\com_asigint.txt
  • C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\SAVE\010\com_jsigint.txt
  • C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\SAVE\010\com_combatreport.txt
  • C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\SAVE\010\com_operationsreport.txt

and, assuming the utility is installed in C:\Program Files\WitP_Utility,

• C:\Program Files\WitP_Utility\witpg.ytp
  • C:\Program Files\WitP_Utility\witpo.ytp

to the corresponding folders on the other computer.

The first four contain the combined data gathered from the text reports of WITP, the later two all your "game" and "opponent" data. If you only have games against the AI you won't need the last file, and if you have multiple games, you need the first four for each game.

< Message edited by Bodhi -- 3/9/2005 3:21:52 PM >

Bodhi

Post #: 105
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/9/2005 9:09:47 AM   
bradfordkay

Thanks, so all i need to add to my file transfer is really the

* \WitP_Utility\witpg.ytp
* \WitP_Utility\witpo.ytp

files. What I do now is keep 14 regular saves and one extra save for the utility (it is saved every turn at the beginning of the turn while the others are my "turn in progress" saves). I had been transferring all the intelligence and report files as well as all the new save files (since last transfer) on a USB chip. I can add those two files as well quite easily.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 106
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/13/2005 2:52:45 AM   
HercMighty

How's the update coming?

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 107
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/13/2005 3:03:25 AM   
Bodhi

The one for additional scrolling functionality and the missed ops report types is done. Only problem is the dev computer is down at the moment. I hope to get it back running later today and then I'll post the update.

Bodhi

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 108
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/13/2005 4:35:35 AM   
scout1

quote:

additional scrolling functionality

What additional scrolling function ?

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 109
RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) - 3/13/2005 5:04:33 AM   
HercMighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

The one for additional scrolling functionality and the missed ops report types is done. Only problem is the dev computer is down at the moment. I hope to get it back running later today and then I'll post the update.

Thanks for your hard work. This utility helps out a lot.

Thanks

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 110
New update 13/03/2005 - 3/13/2005 11:22:42 AM   
Bodhi

13/0/32005 Update here

• Fixed two missed types of operations reports:
    - Aircraft attacking subs
    - Aircraft sighting unnamed ships with only direction noted (not speed)
  • Fixed missed coastwatcher sightings (added in edit)
  • Added extra ways to scroll the map
    - keyboard scroll keys
    - mouse wheel - right mouse button switches axis of scroll
    - click and hold centre mouse button (mouse wheel button), then move mouse to scroll
  • Status bar now gives the coords of the hex under the mouse cursor
  • Status bar now displays the program version number

< Message edited by Bodhi -- 3/14/2005 8:15:18 PM >

Bodhi

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 111
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/13/2005 9:54:45 PM   
rtrapasso

I am having problems trying to install this. It says that i need .NET framework version 1.1.4322.

OK - go to the site - it says to see if NET is installed. As best i can determine it was not. OK - Microsoft says go to Windows Update to install. I do. It says there are no updates.

OK - download the thing from the prior site and install it. It says i can't install all the options (examples, etc.) until i install the program (then why does it ask).

I install the program. The machine locks up a few minutes after this. Reboot. I check control panel - it says .NET framework 1.1 is there. I go back to windows update to see it is the most current version. Again, windows update says no updates.

I try to install WITPUtility again. It says i need to install .NET framework version 1.1.4322.

EDIT - went into Control Panel - cliked on .NET framework. It says the version is 1.1.4322.

What now?

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 3/13/2005 5:12:44 PM >

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 112
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/13/2005 11:05:05 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

I am having problems trying to install this. It says that i need .NET framework version 1.1.4322.

OK - go to the site - it says to see if NET is installed. As best i can determine it was not. OK - Microsoft says go to Windows Update to install. I do. It says there are no updates.

Windows Update lists the Framework as an optional update, not one of the critical or service pack updates. It should be in the lists if you haven't installed it.

quote:

OK - download the thing from the prior site and install it. It says i can't install all the options (examples, etc.) until i install the program (then why does it ask).

Are you sure you didn't download the .NET Framework SDK? There aren't any examples/options in the runtime.

quote:

I install the program. The machine locks up a few minutes after this. Reboot. I check control panel - it says .NET framework 1.1 is there. I go back to windows update to see it is the most current version. Again, windows update says no updates.

I try to install WITPUtility again. It says i need to install .NET framework version 1.1.4322.

EDIT - went into Control Panel - cliked on .NET framework. It says the version is 1.1.4322.

What now?

My advice would be to uninstall the .NET Framework via the Control Panel. Then reinstall the .NET Framework runtime. There's a URL for the runtime download in the ReadMe:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en

Bodhi

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 113
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/13/2005 11:07:48 PM   
HercMighty

Bodhi--

Did you get my 2 emails?

On the second email that computer I am attempting to uninstall WITP and the utility and Re-install. I will see how it works and post here.

Thanks

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 114
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/13/2005 11:19:09 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

Bodhi--

Did you get my 2 emails?

On the second email that computer I am attempting to uninstall WITP and the utility and Re-install. I will see how it works and post here.

Thanks

Yes, thanks. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with WITP. I'll check out the files you sent. I assume you're playing as Allies in those games?

Bodhi

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 115
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/13/2005 11:24:58 PM   
HercMighty

Yes, and for what it is worth it is scenario 5 Guadalcanal with Historic 1st turn set to on.

I did do the uninstall and reinstall and am still experiencing this:

Coastwatcher sighting: 1 Japanese ship at 61,88 , Speed 0
Coastwatcher sighting: 2 Japanese ships at 63,93 , Speed 0
Coastwatcher sighting: 1 Japanese ship at 61,88 , Speed 5 , Moving East
Coastwatcher sighting: 1 Japanese ship at 61,86 , Speed 7 , Moving Northeast
H6K4 Mavis sighting report: 1 Allied ship at 68,98 , Speed 13 , Moving Northwest
H6K4 Mavis sighting report: 7 Allied ships at 69,100 , Speed 13 , Moving Northwest
H6K4 Mavis sighting report: 2 Allied ships at 68,98 , Speed 12 , Moving Northwest
E13A1 Jake sighting report: 1 Allied ship at 64,96 , Speed 12 , Moving East
J1N1-R Irving takes recon photos of 7th Australian Brigade
H6K4 Mavis sighting report: 1 Allied ship at 68,98 , Speed 12 , Moving Northwest
H6K4 Mavis sighting report: 1 Allied ship at 68,98 , Speed 18 , Moving Northwest
H6K4 Mavis sighting report: 1 Allied ship at 68,99 , Speed 9 , Moving Northwest
J1N1-R Irving takes recon photos of 7th Australian Brigade
Noumea expands fortifications to size 1
Luganville expands fortifications to size 1
E14Y1 Glen sighting report: 4 Allied ships at 71,105 , Moving Northwest
J1N1-R Irving takes recon photos of No. 101 RAAF Base Force

Anyone else seeing this?

< Message edited by HercMighty -- 3/13/2005 3:44:56 PM >

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 116
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/13/2005 11:50:40 PM   
jrcar

Just downloaded this... it is great! An int officers dream come true! Thank you very much!

Cheers

Rob

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 117
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/13/2005 11:53:58 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

Coastwatcher sighting: 2 Japanese ships at 63,93 , Speed 0
Coastwatcher sighting: 1 Japanese ship at 61,88 , Speed 5 , Moving East
Coastwatcher sighting: 1 Japanese ship at 61,86 , Speed 7 , Moving Northeast

Anyone else seeing this?

Fixed in the very latest update.

All the others are either for the opposing side, or not currently used.

< Message edited by Bodhi -- 3/14/2005 5:52:45 AM >

Bodhi

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 118
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/14/2005 12:01:28 AM   
HercMighty

Thanks

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 119
RE: New update 13/03/2005 - 3/14/2005 12:24:08 AM   
HercMighty

One last thing, when I get a coast watching sighting I get a report that says:

ting: 1, Speed 4, Moving East 08/06/42

So I think Coastwatcher sighting is being cutoff.

Otherwise it is working great now. Thanks

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Utility - new update (03/03/2005) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI