Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/10/2005 1:35:31 AM   
pepek

Name : peter

not a noob to the game, but my skills need some recalbration since i took a long break from the command post, about seven years.
Nice to see that good games never die.

hail to the staff and all dedicated gamers allaround the world

mind over morale

(in reply to Bladrian)
Post #: 91
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/11/2005 7:41:04 AM   
derflinger

Hi, I'm Perry. I took my logon ID from my favorite German BC. Yes, I know I'm missing an 'f'. I was in a hurry. If the powers that be let me, I'll change it to the correct spelling. One of the things I like best about the Derfflinger - it originally mounted 8 88mm quick firing guns.

Back in the 60's I discovered Avalon Hill's games. Africa Korps, Battle of the Bulge, Blitzkrieg, 1914, Jutland, and many more. I don't remember which one I got first, but I was hooked. Unfortunately, there were never enough opponents. Most of the AH games were pretty primitive. I think I was a charter member of Strategy and Tactics magazine. I bought my first $2000 wargame in 1981, an Apple II and Bismark. I could retire if I'd invested all the money I spent on SSI wargames...well, maybe not. I think the board game I remember most fondly was from Yakinto (spelling?) The Foreign Legion. Based on 50's and 60's Foreign Legion movies. Each unit was a single character, complete with personal history, all the false accusations, evil deeds, or spurned loves that resulted in banishment to the deserts of North Africa. I found SPWAW over a year ago, and I am as hooked now as I ever was as a kid.

I am now involved in my first email game. 4000 points each, meeting engagement, I took the Yanks, my brother got the Germans. Yankee tanks no good! But P38s are tough. Both of mine are almost out of ammo. 3inch ATG is awesome. And I love Wolverines. I set up an ambush in a smokescreen around a set of Victory Hexes, and then I almost walked into it. A 3inch ATG, a Sherman, and a pair of Wolverines. My Ranger had spotted his Tiger (last one un-stuck I hope) and a 1943 model MkIV, so I set up with the hope he would continue on his present course. Well, as plans are wont to do, a SpecOps team of his stumbled onto a lonely crewman of mine, who they shot. Unfortunately, my 3inch fired a shot their way, causing little damage, but giving away our position. His Spec Ops unit suppressed my ATG. The Wolverines never saw them. But his tanks never showed, so I figure he must have seen them. And now they were lost in the smoke. On my turn, the Sherman and another Ranger unit flushed his Spec Ops unit. But where were his tanks? No clue, so I decided it was time to move out before his dang-gone 122mm captured howitizers were called in. As my M2 approached the 3in, (now recovered enough to be picked up) an MG42 opened up - the M2 couldn't see them. I clicked on a Wolverine and turned to the left slightly. Suddenly, looming in the clearing smoke was the MG and a Tiger two hexes behind it... I noticed that the Tiger and the half track could not see each other, so two shots quieted the MG. Wolverine 1, fired a shot with a 58% chance. It missed. The Tiger (thankfully) also missed. Wolverine 1 was now over 90%. But then I thought, so is the Tiger, and he won't miss a second time, so if I don't kill him, I'm dead. Wolverine 2 had the same 58% shot. I took it. The Tiger exploded. Two more shots took out the crew and MG. We scooted about 4 hexes south, just before the 122's landed squarely on our old position.

On the other side of the map, I told one of my Ranger units to defend a building, but not to shoot at any range. A full (my assumption) SS squad ended it's turn adjacent to me. When my turn came, I saw the SS men were running at full speed, 9mph I think. My rangers took one shot. To the SS credit, all four weapons went off before they ran, or rather, before they dispursed.

Then, another Sherman and a M3HT were waiting as part of a flanking manouver on one of his Tigers. A Mk IV came out of the smoke, immediately in front of me. We fired. We hit. Yankee tank shot bounced off the front of the MkIV. He fired once and the Sherman went up in flames. The next shot and the M3HT went up in flames.

Man, what a game.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 92
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/13/2005 1:12:20 AM   
G8rfan

Lets see, I am a 36 year old X-grunt that spent over a decade in the Infantry. I have been a Military history nut my whole life. I got started playing SP2 back in 95 or so while in the Army. I enjoyed playing several versions of games using Micro Armour and dice and even had the opportunity to participate in a Exercise at the Ft Hood Battle sim center. I know there are lot of games out there but SP3 has always been my favorite. Anything else you ant to know feel free to ask.

Dont bother to run, you will only die tired

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 93
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/6/2005 3:11:36 AM   
geo1

I bought the original version of Steel Panthers in 1995. But marriage, kids, etc. took priority and I put the game on the shelf. I was only an average player but was completely addicted. Just last week I installed the 8.20 version. My original CD version doesn't play on my current computer. Has to do with Extended Memory or something that I can't figure out.

Is there an online manual for the new version or a hardcopy I can purchase. I've become frustrated with indirect fire, and loading/unloading. The senarios look fun but it says read along in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 94
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/6/2005 5:06:41 AM   
KNomad

There is a PDF file in your SPWAW directory that should explain most things.

The stickied Artillery Fire T.O.T should explain indirect fire.
Hold the shift key to allow movement into a transports hex, then you can load that unit unto the transport.

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to geo1)
Post #: 95
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/8/2005 7:06:25 AM   
geo1

Thanks for the info. I found the pdf file in the Matrix folder. Thats a great help. I was blind in both eyes.

< Message edited by geo1 -- 2/8/2005 5:06:41 AM >

(in reply to KNomad)
Post #: 96
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/13/2005 4:00:43 AM   
Cpl_Clegg

Hello all,

New poster here, first time to visit these forums and would like to introduce myself. I'm 24, from Dublin, Ireland and I've always been a fan of wargaming ever since playing table top games like Hero Quest and Space Crusade as a kid. I've always had a tendency to go for the strategy/military games when I shop, and have been known to posess games like Panzer General 1 and 2, Fantasy General, Silent Hunter 1 and 2 back in the old days and also modern titles like Hearts of Iron, WWII Frontline Command and C&C Generals/Zero Hour. I'm an avid historian, especially WWII and it's impact on future events and can be found regularly chugging back and forth to the library and bookstore and delving straight into the War section.

With regard to SP:WaW I'm sort of a novice at the game, I had played it a couple of years back but replaced my comp and forgot about it til downloading it again recently (Many thanks to Matrix Games for their awesomeness!!). I've been pottering about with the most excellent scenarios that come with the game and have had some reasonable successes mixed in with some swift defeats, and I'm ready to move on to a long campaign. I hope to get better with some more practice, after having some interesting encounters, and hope to be able to play some of you guys sometime soon without getting too soundly beaten. Cheers all.

Regards,

Cpl_Clegg

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 97
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/13/2005 9:11:23 PM   
IBTyrone

Welcome Corporal!

If you have any questions, just post them to the forums. Someone should be able to help you out. Good luck on the long campaign.

(in reply to Cpl_Clegg)
Post #: 98
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/4/2005 6:47:46 AM   
mosh

SIR! Active on duty -again, SIR!

salute

mosh aka skukko

If its not rotten, shoot again.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 99
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/16/2005 10:15:08 PM   
Panzer67

hello all. new to the forum and i am looking forward to playing steel panthers, but i have a few questions about the game and some of the lingo i have seen here.

first off i have a feeling these are not your normal 3d type games. are these games more like the old board games i used to play?
second, are these games for online play only? can i play against the AI in the game or do i have to have human opponents?
third, what does IGOUGO and PBEM mean?

i am 38 and served in the US Navy for 12 years, last 4 on the USS George Washington CVN-73. i was an aviation electronics technician and made it to E-5. my father-in-law was also in the Navy during Vietnam and i had 3 uncles that all served at various times. one of which was in the Marines in the Pacific during WWII

i guess i have one more question, are there demo's of these games? just want to make sure its what i want before i drop 70 bucks on a download. that would not please the wife :o)

looking forward to being a part of this game and contributing what ever i may learn

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 100
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/17/2005 12:06:38 AM   
elcidce

The game itself is a free download. The $70 is for a copy of the games and the megacampaigns on a disk. The savings is in the fact that the megacampaigns are $25 each. I think there are 5 on the disk. Its a great deal. These campaigns are tweaked and balanced more than the original ones were and they are really long. The oobs are updated as well as the graphics. Good Luck and I recommend the cd purchase.

The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991

(in reply to Panzer67)
Post #: 101
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/17/2005 12:26:02 AM   
Goblin

Try the game itself, which is free as pointed out. If you enjoy it, get the Mega Campaigns. The General's Edition comes with 4 MC's, or you can buy them individually. If you go that route, get MC Screaming Eagles!

Goblin

(in reply to elcidce)
Post #: 102
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/17/2005 1:28:23 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzer67

hello all. new to the forum and i am looking forward to playing steel panthers, but i have a few questions about the game and some of the lingo i have seen here.

first off i have a feeling these are not your normal 3d type games. are these games more like the old board games i used to play?
second, are these games for online play only? can i play against the AI in the game or do i have to have human opponents?
third, what does IGOUGO and PBEM mean?

i am 38 and served in the US Navy for 12 years, last 4 on the USS George Washington CVN-73. i was an aviation electronics technician and made it to E-5. my father-in-law was also in the Navy during Vietnam and i had 3 uncles that all served at various times. one of which was in the Marines in the Pacific during WWII

i guess i have one more question, are there demo's of these games? just want to make sure its what i want before i drop 70 bucks on a download. that would not please the wife :o)

looking forward to being a part of this game and contributing what ever i may learn

I'll try to tackle these
1. The game is a hexed base game similar to a board game I reckon, someon correct me if Im wrong...
2. you can play against the AI or Human opponents
3. igougo is just what it says meaning I play my turn, then you play yours
4. PBEM=play by email......a feature ALOT of players use. human Vs. human

(in reply to Panzer67)
Post #: 103
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/17/2005 4:47:43 AM   
steelpanther

I am new to this forum. Have played the steelpanthers series since its inception and love it great job you guys. Playability is above all other games in its category.

I was born and raised in South Dakota (that is a state in the USA, contrary to what some of my current friends think). Joined the Air Force in 1980 and shortly after that got into computer games. Had been playing a lot of AH games and a few other board games that have some off the wall manufacturer. (favorite was Tobruk)

In 1985 got into microarmor and have played a few different rules. When I started playing SP and SPWAW lost interest in microarmor. Had to buy a new computer when I heard that there was a new version out. LOL

Am new to PBEM but am liking it so far.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 104
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/17/2005 5:01:29 AM   
Panzer67

thanks everyone, found the free version 8.2 at worthplaying.com. is it not available on matrixgames.com?

thanks for clearing somethings up, alby. igougo...thats pretty good wouldnt have figured that on out on my own.

steel panthers is pretty in depth, will have to read through all the docs. are they included with the game? started to play the first scenario but still not sure what i need to do or how to do it.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 105
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/17/2005 7:06:26 AM   
Alby

quote:

thanks everyone, found the free version 8.2 at worthplaying.com. is it not available on matrixgames.com?

thanks for clearing somethings up, alby. igougo...thats pretty good wouldnt have figured that on out on my own.

steel panthers is pretty in depth, will have to read through all the docs. are they included with the game? started to play the first scenario but still not sure what i need to do or how to do it.

don't forget to get the patch that takes you to version 8.3

(in reply to Panzer67)
Post #: 106
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/19/2005 2:50:55 AM   
Panzer67

got the patch, thanks. where can i find documentation on how to play the game? found the manual options link on the store page, but it only lists three games, not steelpanthers

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 107
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/19/2005 7:05:27 AM   
chief

Look for a "Manual.pdf" file for manual in the Main SPwaw folder. Its for ver 5.0 but thats all there is, all glorious 139 pages. HTH

PS Welcome aboard.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Panzer67)
Post #: 108
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/19/2005 7:31:39 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: steelpanther

I am new to this forum. Have played the steelpanthers series since its inception and love it great job you guys. Playability is above all other games in its category.

I was born and raised in South Dakota (that is a state in the USA, contrary to what some of my current friends think). Joined the Air Force in 1980 and shortly after that got into computer games. Had been playing a lot of AH games and a few other board games that have some off the wall manufacturer. (favorite was Tobruk)

In 1985 got into microarmor and have played a few different rules. When I started playing SP and SPWAW lost interest in microarmor. Had to buy a new computer when I heard that there was a new version out. LOL

Am new to PBEM but am liking it so far.

Welcome Steel!!
You must be the one kicking my butt in our email game!!

(in reply to steelpanther)
Post #: 109
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/19/2005 7:32:36 AM   
Alby

quote:

Welcome sir!!
forgot to say that in my previous post

(in reply to Panzer67)
Post #: 110
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/19/2005 3:59:02 PM   
Panzer67

quote:

ORIGINAL: chief

Look for a "Manual.pdf" file for manual in the Main SPwaw folder. Its for ver 5.0 but thats all there is, all glorious 139 pages. HTH

PS Welcome aboard.

thanks chief...wow havent said that in quite awhile i am assuming you were or are in the navy? yeah i found that doc, it is pretty long. will have to print it out so i can have it in my "reading room", if my wife will let me use that much ink!

thanks again!

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 111
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/19/2005 8:21:15 PM   
Goblin

I think chief was in the Navy when they slugged it out with muzzleloaders!

Goblin- A Goblin loves chief

(in reply to Panzer67)
Post #: 112
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/19/2005 8:35:57 PM   
chief

I was in the Navy when John Paul Jones was a Midshipman in the Scottish Navy.

Panzer 67 My years of service were from 49 to 68.

No goblin, not 1848 to 1868 either......I know what you were thinking...the chief always KNOWs.

< Message edited by chief -- 3/19/2005 8:40:02 PM >

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 113
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/19/2005 8:54:47 PM   
Goblin

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 114
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/23/2005 3:47:23 PM   
Panzer67

quote:

ORIGINAL: chief

I was in the Navy when John Paul Jones was a Midshipman in the Scottish Navy.

Panzer 67 My years of service were from 49 to 68.

No goblin, not 1848 to 1868 either......I know what you were thinking...the chief always KNOWs.

thats awesome chief, glad to be aboard. i served from 85-97.

i found the manual and actually printed it out (ahh the joys of xerox machines at work) so i will be reading through that as i learn the game.

thanks again everyone. hope to be playing some of you soon

< Message edited by Panzer67 -- 3/23/2005 4:07:18 PM >

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
- - - Groucho Marx

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 115
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/28/2005 2:29:11 PM   
karl_max

Hi all, I am Carlo from Tuscany, Italy. I am 33, never been soldier and don't care, but I always appreciated strategic games. Being born in 70's in a little province of Italy, I never known about wargames or hex grids or even rpg's till I was 16. All I liked to do was play chess and then use my little plastic soldiers to simulate fights with my friends, everyone armed with a meter and our Monopoli's dice! The grid was the tiles on the floor. A rudimentary wargame
My wargaming experience is nearly nothing:
board games: Risk, Junta (!)
pc: Jagged Alliance 2, Shogun Total War, Medieval TW, Close Combat 5, SPWaw

I don't like so much real time strategy, cos I see wargame as a very developed chess game, where the pleasure consists in thinking about it.

See you in the forum, cos I got some questions to post...

Bye

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 116
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 4/25/2005 10:08:45 AM   
ahmedvonmuneeb

Hello, there. My name is Muneeb Ahmed and I'm from Islamabad, Pakistan (didn't see many from Pakistan here). I don't have as long a history of wargaming as some of the fuys here. I started playing when I was 9, starting with Warcraft I and Civ, I was quickly won over to Close Combat III when it came out and have played it countles times. Been playing SP for close to five years now; never found anyone around who played the same games as I did so I've decided to join up here. Incidentally, my favorite is Talonsoft's The Operational Art of War.

(in reply to karl_max)
Post #: 117
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/11/2005 11:47:47 AM   
Korpraali V

Hi!

I'm Terho Viitasaari from Finland. I'm not so new with the SPWAW, but pretty new in these fields. Have been reading the forums about half a year now and decided to join. Sorry about my not-so-bad-but-not-so-good english ;) I'm quite young (25) and looking upwards to you old timers I've seen here.

I started to write dar/aar when playing email-game with my friend(, naturally in Finnish :) Now I've started a Long Campaign with German forces and planning to post some reports in English ...if I ever get somewhere from eastern Prussia.

My interest have been WWII since I remember my days back. My grandfather was a rifleman/engineer/squad leader in Winter War (39-40) and in Continuation War (41-44). This interest is part of my life, but certainly not my whole life. Bigger part is my beautiful wife and my first child who should be born in november this year.

(in reply to ahmedvonmuneeb)
Post #: 118
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/29/2005 2:47:48 PM   
Puukkoo

Reporting for duty, Sir.

My name is Puukkoo. I'm from Northern Europe country Finland and I'm quite new with the SPWAW. I have played Steel Panthers I-III almost to that point that I have become a pacifist, but not yet.

I have liked many scenarios I had with SPWAW v. 8.0 and I don't have particular favourite nations to play, except when Finns and Russians fight I never play Russian. I have found it very fun to play with USMC at the Pacific, because fighting in difficult terrain makes combat very hard.

Btw, I use the same ID, Puukkoo, at the Internet Movie Database Boards. I just hope we don't speak here politics as much as in there.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 119
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/31/2005 5:57:53 AM   
spmlawyer

Name's Steve. I'm an attorney in NYC. I have been playing wargames since 1984. Some early floppy games included Tom Clancy's Red Storn Rising and a companion sub game. Extraordinary realism at a time when screen graphics consisted of primitive hieroglphics. Then there was also Aegis and Task Force 1942, two excellent surface naval games. Got interested in land battles via Panzer General I - III and SP I-III, not to mention countless other games. Along the way, I wen through all the Battleground series including The American Civil War and Napoleonic Battles. Rising Sun and Great Naval Battles, whew. All that time playing games when I could have been earning money.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to be here, trying to recall some of the basics of SP gameplay and looking forward to sharing my thoughts and questions.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI