Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Brothers in arms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Brothers in arms Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/10/2005 11:15:00 PM   
benpark

H&D2 and OFP were the only FPS games I can recollect playing that really attempted a new spin that worked, were fun to play, and had more than a mere nod to realism. I'll give OFP an extra point for having a simple to set up scenario builder, and vast playing area.

To me, it is sheer laziness on the part of developers to corral the player into a linear path, and to have an AI scripted to the gills. The forward thinking shown in the two above examples exposes the rest of the genre as sticking to the same boring formulas. I will try the demo of BiA, and hope for the best...

< Message edited by benpark -- 3/10/2005 4:15:45 PM >

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 31
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/11/2005 3:08:25 AM   
testarossa

I don't want to sound biased, but... If game is being developed for PC and XBOX/PS2 it's like a label "never buy". The only good port from console to PC was KotOR and may be GTA3.

Dr. Miller: I should've called the marines!
Dalton: They're few, they're proud... And they ain't here!!!

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 32
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/11/2005 4:34:26 AM   
Sarge

Rumor has it RWT is going to Xbox not a big shocker

These new so-called "Realistic" games hitting the stores are a prime example of graphics are ONLY one aspect of a game, and should not be the only aspect.
Some of the best games I have played over the years have graphics taking a back seat to gameplay and AI.

< Message edited by Sarge -- 3/11/2005 2:35:16 AM >

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 33
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/11/2005 10:37:03 PM   
testarossa

Let's hope they will rise the standards for XBOX 2 and PS3.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 34
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/12/2005 12:12:15 PM   
ravinhood

Heh, the Total War series is going SEGA lol now that realllly tells me what RTW was/is. I knew it all the time "kiddie clickfest game". ;)

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 35
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/13/2005 8:36:09 PM   
Maliki

I'll restate an opinion i offered elsewhere.A mixed bag on this game.Certain aspects are excellent..others are sub-par.

This is a good,not a great,game.If not an outright purchase it's worth a rental.

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 36
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/13/2005 8:42:23 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maliki

I'll restate an opinion i offered elsewhere.A mixed bag on this game.Certain aspects are excellent..others are sub-par.

This is a good,not a great,game.If not an outright purchase it's worth a rental.

Its worth a demo,

Any so called tactical shooter with only sprint and squat puts up flags

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 37
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/14/2005 1:03:27 PM   
Maliki

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maliki

Its worth a demo,

Any so called tactical shooter with only sprint and squat puts up flags

It would have been nice to have a demo offered.I figured there would be one before release.If theres one out there i've never seen it,or they could go the route of several games and release one later.

The interface for controlling your fireteams is very simple.Its nice in some respects but it also limits how you can handle them.

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 38
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/17/2005 11:42:36 PM   
Lonewolfpj

I belive that BIA is a much better and more relastic game then H&D2. I think that there are both exellent games. But if I had to choose I would go with BIA

DISCLAIMER: Poster makes no guarantee that the above expressed information is accurate, complete, current, funny, new, spelled correctly, or grammatically correct.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 39
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/19/2005 9:02:56 AM   
runes

ugh. i am still reeling over this game.

for me, biggest let down EVER. EVER. period.

they have me in suspense and awe for a year and a half, and then, have the nerve to release this tripe? I am glad i downloaded it. i feel ripped off. even having paid nothing for it.

not only is it MORE scripted than Call of Duty/Medal of Honour, it has the most predictable gameplay i've played in a while. order your buddies to supress- and then hey, the map has specifically built in routes for you to sneak around them. and just go rambo. in fact, 95% of my kills have been from running up, expending a clip or just knocking the crap out of them.

i don't believe bullets exist in this game. lots of other shooters, you feel like you are firing something. you know theres a bullet whizzing though the air and then impacting into someone. this DOES NOT exist in BIA. it's like Duck Hunt for Nintendo. You're just pulling the trigger and hoping the "enemy" is in the right place.

when i got shot, there is no connection. i don't realize im being shot, i don't believe it. Doom1 had this down better.

And when i shoot enemies. Again, no connection. Their death animations (there have been some cool ones tho) take like 45 seconds. I don't know if i'm missing, hitting, or killing an enemy. GUN PHSYICS! GUN PHYSICS!!
similarly, who the hell let these guys past basic? I can hold a rifle and fire it more accurately. Yes, gun sway is important to a realistic shooter, but COME ON. it felt more like i was aiming down 1200m at a Head of State, than through iron sights at someone 20 yards away. Either that or Matt Baker has a bad case of parkinson's.

those are my biggest gripes. That there are no gun-bullet- physics. See, in call of duty, i sure as **** felt supressed. I knew there were bullets flying around me, i knew it was death to peek or look up. In this game, which bosts supression as one of it's selling points, it is non existant. You'll be supressed,but not know why, care why, or feel it.

similarly, who was the bonehead that decided not to put a prone/peak/lean button? Seriously. This is 2005, those controls have been almost mandatory for shooters for the last 4 years. it's like not having a reload button.

so far 5/10 and seriously sliding.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 40
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/21/2005 8:13:15 PM   
testarossa

Well put runes. I'd like to add some grief:

1.Levels are tiny. VERY. There is room full of Germans, you walk out through the door and there is a team of US paratroopers blasting next building. Are they deaf? No, they are scripted. You’ll see tons of this kind of cr*p.

2.Baker whines all the time that he didn’t want to be a squad leader. After third time I wanted to shout: Shut the F**K UP soldier!!!

3.It’s boring.

Good things:
1.Visuals are good. On FSAA x8 and AF x16 everything looks nice and running fast.

Unfortunately this is the only good thing about the game. Call of Duty wins with both hands down.

Again & again the fact is proven: development for PC and console simultaneously produces very lame games.

(in reply to runes)
Post #: 41
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/22/2005 11:37:55 PM   
Bill Durrant

Over here in the UK 'GAME' (shop) are offering any chart game for 99p plus four console trade ins. My son has hijacked the PS2 so some old sports games are going and I will get BIA (it is in the chart) for the price of about four cigarettes. On that basis I'm willing to take the risk

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 42
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/22/2005 11:50:37 PM   
testarossa

Well, you were forewarned.

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 43
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/23/2005 12:31:38 AM   
Maliki

I smell a sequel on this game.

"There's still a war on!".

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 44
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/23/2005 12:45:33 AM   
tanker4145

quote:

BIA got a very favourable review in Armchair General magazine November 2004

Just FYI, COL (retired) Antal had a big part in making Brothers in Arms and in the Armchair General Magazine. Those kind of things should be pointed out.

It does look like it has cool graphics, and I was close to buying it, but I'm glad I didn't after reading your opinions.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 45
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/23/2005 1:45:45 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Good things:
1.Visuals are good. On FSAA x8 and AF x16 everything looks nice and running fast.

Unfortunately this is the only good thing about the game. Call of Duty wins with both hands down.

Hey, the animations kick ass too.

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 46
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/23/2005 1:47:23 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: tanker4145

quote:

BIA got a very favourable review in Armchair General magazine November 2004

Just FYI, COL (retired) Antal had a big part in making Brothers in Arms and in the Armchair General Magazine. Those kind of things should be pointed out.

It does look like it has cool graphics, and I was close to buying it, but I'm glad I didn't after reading your opinions.

Everybody should make up his own judgement. I formyself find this game great. Granted, I expected more but I woulnd´t say that "Call of Duty" is any better.

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 47
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/24/2005 1:50:21 AM   
testarossa

Well, I brought it back to EB for the store credit - 5 bucks restocking fee. If you up to the 20 levels of repetetive boring gameplay go for it.

P.S. May be a good choice for the XBOX owners still, as there is nothing better for XBOX on the market right now.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 48
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/24/2005 5:56:07 AM   
gunny

Not to compare apples and oranges. After playing First Person Shooters like Athena Sword (RainBow 6-3) I doubt I could step down to BIA (true I'm speculating based on comments). I got spoiled with the large weapon library, optional weapon accesories ie scopes, extra large mags that penalize weapon handling, silencers with a reduction in muzzle velocity. The realism: Point your cursor at a door hit the space bar and your squad mate opens door while you cover. Not to mention leaning, crawling running etc.

Although its been out for months now the hardware has finally caught up to these FPS. Beautiful lighting effects, and terrain map object details on a 256mb Radeon or nV.
My point is there are many high quality FPS out there. Not all WW2, but they are at a great price now. And the multiplayer servers are going strong thanks to punk buster.

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 49
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/24/2005 6:32:57 AM   
Sarge

@ Gunny

Your not spoiled gunny

Your just being realistic in your expatiations what a FPS should be in 2005.
I played this mess and your not missing anything. Rainbow 6, HD2 have far more depth and both were released more then a YEAR ago.
I like the coments you see acrossed some of the wargame fourms,BIA is much more realistic then COD. never mind that every event in the game is OVER scripted and there is no prone or lean or any use of REAL tatics for that matter.

BUT THE GRAPHICS ARE SO PRETTY

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 50
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/24/2005 9:09:12 AM   
Tankerace

I was seriously considering BiA, but after getting a little burned with MOHPA, I think I'll just retreat back to my usual genres of strategy and sims. SH3 is filling that out nicely.

I for one loved CoD, UO, and I was crazy about H&D2. The only thing that game needed was coop play and it would have been perfect. But BiA, from what I am reading, is just one script fest after another, with the lamest multiplayer since WW2GI.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 51
RE: Brothers in arms - 3/24/2005 3:53:35 PM   
pahom

This game reminds me of what it is like to be a grunt. The first few levels are essentially basic training. They beat your head in with support fire and flank, support fire and flank. This is right in line with the training offered grunts in their AIT. Yes, US Infantry do believe they are the only ones that possess the flanking maneuver. I did not find this out of line with training.

Usually if you are to flank for a support team you aren't mulling many options. You're looking for the first concealed path. Why would you look for a further one? BIA models this well and while the lanes are tight it doesn't bother me. I also like that the German Infantry in the fourth level (the Stuart Tank level) aggressively counter-attack after the town is cleared.

As Marc stated, the animation is superbly modeled. The firefight between the german infantry and the Stuart tank was absolutley jaw dropping. The explosions, the dust and dirt flying, the dead germans flying like rag dolls in the air.

Even without the prone position, I really think that this game could be something special in the future. I like the fact that bullets are not on a line. This is a game about supression and movement. Infantry are taught this as well. Bullets don't always fly true when you are out of breath, or your steel pot has bounced itself down over you eyes.

I highly recommend this game.

Pahom

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Brothers in arms Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI