Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/18/2005 11:17:35 AM   
Canoerebel

7/18/42 - Allied commander goofed again. It seems that the orders issued to the CL and DMS to head to "no-man's-land" failed to include instructions to stay there. So they returned to PM and Jap bombers found them in port and quickly dispatched them. Little other damage done despite large Jap naval and land-based air strikes against PM and naval bombardments of PM and Townsville. My DD TF made it to Cairns unscathed and those ships are now heading on to Rockhampton. Another CL (moderate damage) is going to make the run from PM to Cairns. Three other heavily damaged CLs and DDs will remain in PM and await their fate. I am tempted to deploy Saratoga and Wasp against the Japs, but I'll resist the temptation. In eleven more turns, I will be on equal footing with them and there is no need courting disaster in the meantime. While the Allies have a bloodied nose, holding PM will make up for it in the long run....

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/18/2005 4:05:22 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/18/2005 8:44:36 PM   
Canoerebel

7/19/42 - Jap CVs just five hexes from Cairns, but failed to launch any air strikes for some reason. That was fortuitous because CL Honolulu was one hex from Cairns, having failed to make the full run from PM. I've ordered Honolulu to continue on toward Rockhampton. She may not make it out of range if the CVs move further south. Japs bombarded PM again, but the damaged ships (2 DDs and a CL) in port escaped further damage. Here is the overall situation:

Japs have established three forward bases: Gili Gili (Port 3, Airbase 1), Rossel Islands (1/1) and Irau (0/1). Wau is currently up for grabs with neither side holding a decided advantage. Allies have a firm grip on PM and established forward bases at Wunpuko (0/1) and are just beginning airfield construction at Kourakouratopa. Allies will be in a position to move forward in approximately ten days. Objective yet undecided, but GG may make the most sense since the Allies hold PM. Alternatively, I may try to provoke John into venturing forward (by landing troops at Irau or putting merchants in a tantalizing location. If possible, I'd like to engage his CVs on home turf.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 32
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/19/2005 6:19:31 PM   
Canoerebel

7/20/42 - Jap CVs remain just a few hexes east of Cairns. Allied land-based bombers sortied in a valiant, futile, costly effort to strike a blow. Allies lost more than 30 planes (about half P-39s) with nothing to show for the effort. CL Honolulu successfully made the run and is nearing Rockhampton. Right now, "Kincaid's Folly" (sailing blindly into the Jap CV TF) has cost a CA, CL and DMS. Not too bad considering.... If my last two CVs weren't just 9 days out, I'd send the two available now on a raid toward the Solomons or even Truk; but I want to be able to group the four together in case the Jap CVs remain exposed (unlikely, but you never know). Another Jap infantry unit arrived at Wau. As soon as John pulls back his CVs, I'll be in a position to re-supply PM and bolster the garrison which will, in turn, permit offensive operations to support the Wau garrison.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 33
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/20/2005 5:53:03 AM   
Canoerebel

7/21/42 - Jap CVs moved south to a position ENE of Townsville. No air strikes by either side. The CVs are just sitting there, taunting the Allies. I am frankly surprised that John is using this tactic. He did so in our first game and got hammered when my CVs blocked his way back home and earned a decisive victory. I figured the possibility of a repeat would discourage such boldness this game. Given the petrol situation, however, I doubt his CVs will remain exposed long enough for my carriers to arrive and take action. Elsewhere, a large Jap combat TF is not far from Wunpuko. That is the likely target, with Koura and L'ville also possibilities. I've evacuated my ships from those ports and aborted minelaying and FT missions. I might send out some juicy merchants to Wunpuko and then slip my two CVs well to the NW, hoping to catch a combat TF on the rebound from a raid. Not much risk in doing so as long as his CVs are enjoying their stroll along the Australian coastline.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 34
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/20/2005 6:22:20 PM   
Canoerebel

7/22/42 - Jap TF hit Wunpuko, doing no damage (CA Mogami hit a mine; a US DD taking supplies to Gavigama did also). CL Honolulu took a torpedo near Brisbane, but made it to port in good shape. Jap CV TF moved well to the NE and is now SSW of Rossel Islands. Probably taking the long way home to Shortlands to refuel (to avoid what is often sub-infested waters near Gili Gili) or possibly heading further east if the Japs have something up their sleeves for the Wunpuko/Koura area. Koura airbase now open for business. Allies will resume air transport of reinforcements to Wau, this time from Cookville.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 35
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/21/2005 5:27:35 AM   
Canoerebel

7/25/42 - Over the past three turns, the Jap CVs moved to Rossel Islands, then due east, and now are about ten hexes due west of Koura. Based upon his email comments, John expected to encounter the Allied CVs, but I pulled them back to Noumea several days ago. I've pulled everything in that area back to Noumea. The 3rd and 4th U.S. CVs arrive in 4 turns. We'll have a fight soon thereafter if his CVs stick around. Elsewhere very quiet. No more Jap CAP over Wau, so air transport missions of the 10th Brigade from Cookville are unopposed. Five APs sent from Noumea to Brisbane. It won't be long before the Allies plan their first offensive.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/21/2005 5:30:21 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 36
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/21/2005 1:43:25 PM   
Canoerebel

7/26/42 - John has lost his mind. The Jap CVs are one hex NE of Gavigama. It is an Allied dream to fight the Jap CVs on equal terms on Allied territory where damaged Jap ships have a long return to port while damaged Allied ships are close to home. If only the Allies had their CVs, but Enterprise and Hornet are still three days out of Noumea. Surely the Japs won't hang around that long.... Elswhere, CL Achilles (one of the casualties of Kincaid's Folly) will limp from PM to Townsville. Reinforcement of Wau via air transport continues uncontested. Three AKs left Brisbane a day or two apart enroute to PM, which desperately needs supplies (red level - less than 2000 now on hand). Allies have two divisions in Brisbane. GG is lightly held by the Japs and at this point looks like a good target. D-Day might be about 20 days depending upon the location of the CVs and what's going on elsewhere.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 37
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/21/2005 10:32:35 PM   
Canoerebel

7/27/42 - Jap CVs withdrew to a point south of Irau, but a Jap Surface TF showed up just two hexes west of L'ville. That may have been a mistake in timing by the Japs (kind of like my "Kincaid's Folly" gambit awhile back), because the Jap ships are exposed, unprotected by CAP, and might have run right into my CVs (which, fortunately for the Jap TF, are in Noumea anxiously awaiting arrival of Enterprise and Hornet). I can only surmise that John is trying to lure my CVs out of port. If so, the effort earned CA Mogami a torpedo from an Avenger squadron based at L'ville (Wasp arrived in the game with more aircraft than it's max load, so I moved Wasp's Avengers to L'ville). CL Achilles should arrive Townsville this turn and CL Honolulu is heading from Brisbane to Noumea.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/22/2005 5:10:36 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 38
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/22/2005 10:40:37 PM   
Canoerebel

7/29/42 - Enterprise and Hornet finally arrived. The Allies are now in a position to move forward. In our last game, the initial Allied attack consisted of a feint toward Irau followed by the main thrust at Gili Gili. It was far sloppier than intended, but worked. I am going to follow a similar course this time: (1) Build up Koura and Gavi, in the process drawing John's attention and possibly provoking a meeting engagement. (2) When and if successful in drawing John's attention there, a larger invasion fleet will move on Gili Gili. This will be the main thrust with the CVs and most of the big combat ships in support. (3) As the major action unfolds around GG, SOPAC will move on Nevea with enough Marines to take and hold that base. At the end of those operations, I believe the primary source of Allied operations will be New Guinea and I expect to use Wau and attack from there.

To get things rolling, I'm fast transporting the 810th EAB from Noumea to Gavi. I'm air transporting part of the 102nd Base Force from Efate to Koura to give me some air support at that base. I've sent Wasp and Saratogo to a point north of Noumea to (hopefully) further draw John's attention to SOPAC (and hopefully he might send his CVs back, especially if he isn't aware that Hornet and Enterprise have arrived).

Jap Bettys and Nells from Lunga hit a merchant convoy at Efate hard this turn (Moderate Damage: 2 AK and 1 AO; Severe damage: 1 AO). This prompted a realignment of SOPAC air as follows: VMF 24 to Efate; VMF 212 to L'ville (joining 2 PBY, 1 Avenger, 1 Hudson, 1 B17); 2 squadrons SBDs to Wunpuko.

I didn't do anything of note in SWPAC this turn.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 39
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/22/2005 11:22:31 PM   
Canoerebel

7/30/42 - The Allied activity around Koura certainly seemed to arouse the Japs. A Jap sub sank AP President Adams (part of a three ship convoy delivering supplies and a small part of the 6th Seabees); Irvings reconned Koura; and a sizeable combat TF was observed NNW of Nevea, bearing down on the area. I feel pretty confident that the Jap TF is heading to Koura - confident enough that I did not recall my FT convoy delivering the 810th EAB to Gavi. Gavi is currently unoccupied, so hopefully the Japs are focusing on Koura. If the Japs instead head to Gavi, that FT convoy is going to have a bad evening. Sara/Wasp ordered to a point NE of L'ville/E of Koura; Hornet/Enter are following about a day behind. They are looking for opportunities (a coastwatcher reports Jap CV at Shortlants, so the coast appears clear at the moment). A turn ago I resumed intensive recon including Wau, Rabaul, Rossel, Lunga and Nevea. GG garrison reported as 2 CD, 2 engineer, 2 AA and 1 infantry unit (pretty light). In contrast, Rossel has 1 AA, 1 CD, 1 engineer, and 5 infantry units. I won't begin to load the invasion force at Brisbane for perhaps 5 more turns. Want to stir things up around Koura first and see what develops.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 40
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/23/2005 12:48:42 AM   
Canoerebel

7/31/42 - The map is all lit up with units now. The question is how the Japs are going to react to the day's developments.

The Jap bombardment TF did not "visit" Koura, instead it steamed to a point 5 hexes ESE of Nevea where it underwent air attack by SBDs (Wunpuko), Avengers and Hudsons (L'ville). The Jap ships took some hits: DDs Murakumo (1) and Asagumo (3), BB Haruna (2) and CL Abukuma (1). The Jap convoy stopped just 9 hexes short of Sara/Wasp and are lucky they didn't get their butts kicked. My combat replay, which is still highly inaccurate due to the 2.41 bug, indicated that a Jap convoy withdrew due to the presence of my CVs. If the report is accurate and John is aware of my CVs, he'll likely withdraw everything ASAP (he may do so anyhow since his convoy got hit; things may be getting too hot). He has four or five different convoys around Nevea, so there are alot of targets. I expect them to withdraw post haste.

I have a recon report of a Jap CV SSW of Rossel Islands possibly heading toward Australia. If true, that puts at least part of the Jap CVs out of the area for awhile. Relying upon this intel, I ordered both of my CV TFs NNE of L'ville. If John set a trap with the bulk of his CVs lurking near Nevea, I'm going to take a thrashing in detail. I considered the risk and proceeded on my belief that the Jap CVs are elsewhere.

For reasons unknown, the 810 EAB FT convoy did not proceed to Gavi as scheduled. It just moseyed a couple of hexes toward Wunpuko and is scheduled to make the run this turn. After deliberating, I decided to send it on to Gavi. No matter what is happening, I don't believe the Japs will be at Gavi this turn.

Acting on the possibility that the Jap CVs (or part) are out of the area, I formed a large FT convoy (3 CA, 13 DD, 2 DMS) at Noumea to transport the 1st Marines to Nevea. Spruance is given command. Recon continues to show just one Jap infantry unit at Nevea.

If I've misread and/or miscalculated, this will be an unpleasant turn for the Allies.

In summary, SOPAC is a beehive of activity. This may well clear things out of SWPAC for the invasion convoy that will begin loading in about three turns.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 41
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/23/2005 2:19:09 AM   
Canoerebel

8/1/42 - The Allies pushed all the right buttons and got lucky too. Lady Haruna and the Boys hung around Koura and got hammered. In his email, John notes that he suspected something was up and issued orders for the Haruna TF to bombard Koura and then retire to Tulagi. For some reason, the TF just sailed to Koura, didn't bombard, and sat right there. Allied aircraft from the two CV TF, L'ville, Wunpuko and Koura just ate the Jap TF alive (see combat results posted below).

The Jap CVs ended up near Townsville and sunk an lone, unlucky AK on the way home from PM.

With the Jap CVs way out of position, I've decided to accelerate operations at Santa Cruz. The FT convoy will land 1st Marines there this turn. A large convoy at Noumea will bring the rest of the division (5th Marines, engineers, HQ, and tanks). Recon shows 2 Jap infantry units of unkown strength at Nevea.

Allied CVs will meet up at Koura in hopes of picking up any stray/heavily damaged Jap ships.

The FT convoy to Gavi was successful.

In all probability, John will pull his CVs back toward the Solomons to marshall his forces and figure out how to react to this day's events. The Allies therefore should have a green light to proceed with part 2 of the plan (invasion of Gili Gili).

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/01/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Air attack on TF, near Kourouratopo at 52,48

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 15

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 9 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Ariake
DD Tokitsukaze
CL Kuma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 39
SBD Dauntless x 66
TBD Devastator x 28

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 6 damaged
TBD Devastator x 1 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 2
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CA Haguro, Bomb hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
CL Abukuma, Bomb hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
DD Michishio
DD Ariake
DD Minegumo, Bomb hits 2
DD Arare, Bomb hits 1, on fire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 7
SBD Dauntless x 62
TBF Avenger x 14

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Michishio, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Kuma, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Arare, on fire
DD Minegumo
CA Haguro, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Makigumo
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CL Abukuma, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Tokitsukaze, Bomb hits 1

Air attack on TF at 49,46

Allied aircraft
P-400 Airacobra x 14

Allied aircraft losses
P-400 Airacobra x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
ML Niizaki
ML Takashima
ML Hoko

Air attack on TF at 12,60

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 19
D3A Val x 24
B5N Kate x 30

no losses

Allied Ships
AK Rhesus, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

Air attack on TF at 49,46

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 3
SBD Dauntless x 7
P-400 Airacobra x 3

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 2 damaged
P-400 Airacobra x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
ML Saishu
ML Hoko
ML Hirashima, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 59
SBD Dauntless x 55
TBD Devastator x 22
TBF Avenger x 8
Hudson x 9
B-26B Marauder x 4

no losses

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Bomb hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
CA Haguro, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 13, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x Hudson at 1000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 100 feet
3 x Hudson at 1000 feet
3 x Hudson at 1000 feet

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 32
TBF Avenger x 13

no losses

Japanese Ships
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Abukuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA Haguro, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 3
P-400 Airacobra x 9

no losses

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, on fire

Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 3

no losses

Japanese Ships
DD Arare, on fire

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-26B Marauder at 100 feet

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 22
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9
SBD Dauntless x 16

no losses

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
D3A Val x 26
B5N Kate x 11

no losses

Allied Ships
AK Rhesus, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
B5N Kate x 17

no losses

Ground combat at Wau

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 7923 troops, 90 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 6229 troops, 74 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 7

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 42
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/23/2005 4:16:10 AM   
Canoerebel

8/2/42 - Not so fast... When John send the turn files, he includes the combat results page for my reference (since the 2.41 bug makes my combat replay wildly inaccurate). When I opened the file, I noted with horror that 53 Zeros and 11 Nells from Lunga had penetrated Allied Cap of 77 Wildcats, and managed to put a torp each into Wasp and Saratoga, with Sara "heavy damage, on fire." Oh no! There went my plans for invading Gili Gili and I was back on the defensive.... But when I finally opened my new turn file, I learned that the damage was far less severe than expected. Wasp has 5 op/29 flood, Sara 10/51. As long as they get to port and have time for repairs, they will be fully operational and the Allies are still in business. I've combined the CVs into one large TF which should make L'ville tonight. I've sent all available fighters to L'ville to provide CAP.

The Marines landed at Nevea and will launch a deliberate attack. Another battalion will land via FT convoy tonight. The remainder of the expeditionary force will leave Noumea via AP convoy tonight.

Instead of heading for the Solomons, the Jap CVs moved further south and are now closer to Rockhampton than Townsville. I have perhaps 20 merchants and small warships at Brisbane. I'll leave them there and I've sent two fighter squadrons to provide cover. I still except John to pull his CVs back, especially now that he may perceive an opportunity to hit the "damaged" US CV TF. (I may have an opportunity to spring a big surprise on him if I can get those CVs fixed up pronto).

I show the Japs losing BB Haruna, CA Hagura, CLs Abukuma and Kuma, and DD Makigumo over the past two turns. Allies have had a couple of other ships suffer damage to mines, etc, including a DD and a DM, but both are safely in port.

I predict John will react violently to the Battle of Nevea. That may present some opportunties and, while it occurs, the Gili Gili force may have an opporunity.....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/02/42

Sub attack at 19,71

Japanese Ships
SS I-29

Allied Ships
DM Gamble, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40

Allied aircraft

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra x 2 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 2 damaged

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 37
Sub attack at 54,65

Japanese Ships
SS I-22

Allied Ships
SC 644
Air attack on TF at 50,46

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 20
TBF Avenger x 10

no losses

Japanese Ships
DD Makigumo, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 12

no losses

Japanese Ships

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 16
TBD Devastator x 10

no losses

Japanese Ships
DD Makigumo, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 12
Hudson x 6
B-26B Marauder x 6

no losses

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Makigumo, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x Hudson at 1000 feet
3 x Hudson at 1000 feet

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 22
SBD Dauntless x 23
TBD Devastator x 8

no losses

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 11, on fire, heavy damage
DD Makigumo, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 11
SBD Dauntless x 17

no losses

Japanese Ships
Air attack on TF at 50,47

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8
SBD Dauntless x 8

no losses

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Kuma, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 19
SBD Dauntless x 7
TBD Devastator x 11

no losses

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 6, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 4
SBD Dauntless x 8

no losses

Allied aircraft
TBF Avenger x 8
Hudson x 6
B-26B Marauder x 3

no losses

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
CL Kuma, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x Hudson at 1000 feet
3 x Hudson at 1000 feet

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 3

no losses

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 16
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1
SBD Dauntless x 24
TBF Avenger x 7

no losses

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, on fire, heavy damage
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 30
SBD Dauntless x 14

no losses

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Shell hits 20, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 15
B-26B Marauder x 3

no losses

Japanese Ships
DD Makigumo, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 36
A6M3 Zero x 17
G3M Nell x 11

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 19
F4F-4 Wildcat x 58

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 6 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged
A6M3 Zero x 5 destroyed
G3M Nell x 6 destroyed
G3M Nell x 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 8 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat x 3 damaged
F4F-4 Wildcat x 15 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 6 damaged

CPO W.Matsuba of F2/2nd Daitai is credited with kill number 3

LCDR J. Gray of VF-6 bails out and is RESCUED

Allied Ships
CV Saratoga, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CV Wasp, Torpedo hits 1
CA New Orleans

Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
1 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
1 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
Ground combat at Wau

Attacking force 7923 troops, 90 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 6439 troops, 80 guns, 0 vehicles

CPO O.Nomura of F2/1st Daitai is credited with kill number 2

SLDR K.Asada of F2/2nd Daitai bails out and is RESCUED

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 32

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 43
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/23/2005 9:40:06 AM   
Canoerebel

8/3/42 - The Koura "bug" struck the Allies this turn - a TF of DDs that I had ordered to return to L'ville stayed at Koura and got hammered (I believe three were sunk). The crazy Jap CV TF also moved SOUTH and is now ESE Rockhampton. Kates and Vals hit the ships in Brisbane hard. When I sent two squadrons of fighters to Brisbane the turn before, they were already set at "100% CAP" and it appears that the transfer re-set them to "training". Thus, there was no CAP and I lost a DMS, 2 SCs, and a MSW and a number of other ships suffered damage. This CAP failure is one of those little "mistakes" that shouldn't have happened, but I doubt two squadrons of P-39s would have been much help anyhow.

What the heck are the Jap CVs doing down there? Ordinarly, sending CVs that far south at this point in the game would be courting disaster since, if damaged, they have a tremendously long road home. John is aware of the general location of my CVs, however, which are one hex from L'ville. Wasp's damage control units already have her ready to go, but Sara needs a few turns in port. If the Jap CVs linger, I'll send mine (but not with only three - I'm waiting for Sara). I am curious what kind of operational damage the Jap CVs have incurred steaming all over the place - Townsville area to Rossel to Koura to Shortlands to near Rockhampton -the past ten turns.

Nevea fell easily to the 1st Marines (in his email John said that Nevea was a decoy). So parts (a) and (c) of the Allied plan is largely complete, although not entirely in ways that I foresaw. The Allies now control up to the Santa Cruz Islands - part (c). The diversion - part (a) - did not draw the attention of the Jap CVs, but with my right flank secure, I can now proceed with the invasion of Gili Gili.

The Japs damaged enough APs at Brisbane that I'll have to send replacements from Numea. But plenty are available since Nevea fell and the balance of the Marines loading at Noumea got back off the ships and headed back to camp.

Air transport of 10th Brigade to Wau continues. (I believe most Zeros have been sent to Lunga in the effort to form a force large enough to hit my CVs). I intend to strike from Wau at about the same time that I invade GG.

Despite the losses this turn and whatever happens to the ships at Brisbane, I am pleased with the operations to this point. My chief concern right now is whether the Jap bombers at Lunga will hit my CVs. If one or more take moderate damage before I engage his CVs or cover my GG invasion force, that will be a major setback.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/03/42

Weather: Clear

Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40

Allied aircraft

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra x 2 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra x 2 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 42

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 46
A6M3 Zero x 11
G4M1 Betty x 40

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty x 16 damaged

Allied Ships (WHAT ARE THESE GUYS STILL DOING HERE??? )
DD Cummings, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DD Wilkes
DD Jarvis, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Grayson, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Stockton, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
1 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
3 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
2 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet

Air attack on TF, near Brisbane at 22,77 (JAP CVs near BRISBANE!!! )

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
D3A Val x 26
B5N Kate x 30

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 4 damaged
B5N Kate x 2 damaged

Allied Ships
AP Ormiston, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Harris, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Orungal, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AP Ormsby, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SC 518, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SC 638
SC 519, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
Air attack on TF, near Brisbane at 22,77

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 4 damaged

Allied Ships
DMS Trevor, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 11

no losses

Allied Ships
MSW Lismore, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Toowoomba, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
D3A Val x 22

no losses

Allied Ships
SC 522, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SC 520, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 44
A6M3 Zero x 17
G3M Nell x 9
G4M1 Betty x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell x 2 damaged
G4M1 Betty x 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Cummings, on fire, heavy damage
DD Stockton, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Wilkes
DD Grayson, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
1 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
1 x G3M Nell at 200 feet
Ground combat at Wau

Attacking force 7941 troops, 89 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 6418 troops, 80 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 11

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 28
Ground combat at Nevea

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 1393 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 6556 troops, 99 guns, 12 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 22

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 94
Ground combat at Nevea

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 4280 troops, 52 guns, 6 vehicles

Defending force 1377 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Nevea base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 1914
Guns lost 4

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 44
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/23/2005 6:50:36 PM   
Canoerebel

8/4/42 - Quieter this turn. Jap CVs move east. Not quite sure if John intends to move on New Caledonia. US CVs at L'ville, reparairing damage (Sara flooding down from 51 to 34 already). I've got some problems with air squadron anomalies. VF-2 on Sara has 27 Wildcats, 26 of which are under repair. The squadron has but 6 pilots. Moreover, there is another VF-2 on L'ville with about 26 Wildcats with a full compliment of pilots. I may have trouble getting Sara restocked with fighters. Jap Bettys with Zero escort struck L'ville, but no damage done (the CAP toook care of them this time). FT convoy to take part of 7th Seabees to Nevea. AK at PM sunk by torps. PM suppies down to 600.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/24/2005 12:03:14 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 45
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/24/2005 12:15:30 AM   
Canoerebel

8/6/42 - Last turn, the Jap CVs "disappeared" into the Coral Sea (no reports of their whereabouts). I accordingly sent alot of the Noumea ships to L'ville. This turn, the CVs turned back up ENE of Brisbane. Saratoga is still 14/26. Drat! If damage control can eliminate the flooding, I'll send my CVs after the Japs. Fortunately, Sara's Wildcat bug seems to have ironed itself out. She now has about 28 fighters, 14 of which are operational. FT carried engineers and supplies to Nevea where construction of an airfield and fortifications are underway. No Jap air strikes against L'ville. PM supply up to 2000 thanks to one resolute AK that made port despite a torpedo. Sent an AP TF set on "patrol/do not retire" to a point SW of Noumea. They will have a headstart to Brisbane once the Jap CVs head north.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 46
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/24/2005 1:28:27 AM   
Canoerebel

8/7/42 - Jap CVs moved north to a point E of Rockhampton. Sara is 14/13. I may lose the race to repair her before the Jap CVs skedaddle. If John holds his CVs in place one more turn, I believe I'll sortie. If not, I'll lay the groundwork for the GG invasion force. The APs are moving a bit closer to Brisbane. Five replenishment ships are taking on oil at Noumea and will steam WNW. A US BB and supporting combat ships will arrive at Noumea in about ten days. The plan will be to load the APs and support craft at Brisbane. The bulk of US combat ships (not including the CV TF and BB TF) will move to Townsville. From there, I plan to do a large FT convoy of troops to GG (the vanguard of the invasion force) timed to arrive a turn or two before the APs. A few turns before that, I will send a diversion force from SOPAC to make a feint toward Irau/Lunga with US CVs and the BB TF in support. As the main force nears GG, the feint TF will withdraw and the CVs and BB TF will hasten west to cover GG. While that is going on, the Allies will try to resupply PM and get some bombers up.

Several Jap artillery units arrived at Wau. I'm not sure at this point who is blocking who at Wau, but I have some ideas how that will develop down the road.

None of this will take place unless I maintain at least parity with the Jap CVs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 47
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/24/2005 3:33:50 AM   
Canoerebel

8/8/42 - Sara at 14/5, but the Jap CVs continued north and are ESE of Townsville. I've decided to let them go rather than try a sprint with Sara still holding water. Too, that durn ghost squadron of A-26s have appeared on Sara. That Matrix never fixed this bug is unbelievable. Japs appear to have turned their attention to Wau. Five artillery units arrived more than doubling the number of Jap troops there. John also repositioned alot of planes to Lae (82 fighters, 26 bombers, 78 others). Looks like he means to stop air transport into Wau. Right now, Lae, Buna and even Rabaul are lightly defended. There are no Jap troops at Dobadura. GG has alot of troops although recon shows only 1 or 2 infantry units. There are so many other kinds of units, however, that I'm worried about what I will find there. I'm re-thinking my plans, wondering whether there may be a better target than GG. I'll probably stick with it though. Formed AK convoy at Noumea to deliver supplies to PM. I need PM operational before I invade. SOPAC looks fine at the moment.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/08/42

Sub attack at 25,24

Japanese Ships
TK Genyo Maru, Shell hits 5, on fire

Allied Ships
SS S-37, Shell hits 6
Sub attack near Luganville at 53,53

Japanese Ships
SS I-158

Allied Ships
SC 644, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
Ground combat at Wau

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 22703 troops, 310 guns, 50 vehicles

Defending force 8814 troops, 83 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 239

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 320

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 48
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/24/2005 3:24:43 PM   
Canoerebel

8/9/42 - Sara is ready to go, but the Jap CVs continued north and should be in the vicinity of Rossel next turn. What happens next depends upon where they go from there. Will John rest and refit, going on the defensive? Or will he venture out yet again? Given the initial damage report and the fact that Sara stayed in L'ville while the Japs raided Brisbane, he is probably (and understandably) under the impression that Sara is hurting. If he acts on that belief, I may have another opportunity to engage his CVs.

I am concerned about Wau. The Japs launched a shock attack that hurt them more than the Allies, but enough of the Allied force is disorganized and fatigued that they may not be able to hold out much longer. Too, it will be a few more turns before I can send reinforcements (the Dakotas are fatigued too). Wau has drawn nearly 23,000 Jap troops, serving its original purpose of a vortex drawing Jap attention, but I would dearly love to hold it and later use it as a base of operations.

The APs will arrive Brisbane in two turns and begin loading. I will continue to follow the GG invasion plan unless opportunities or circumstances arise that lead elsewhere.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 49
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/25/2005 7:54:52 AM   
Canoerebel

8/11/42 - The Jap CVs were a hex N of Rossel last turn and were not spotted this turn. They are probably at Shortlands. Japs using bombardment at Wau - a good plan, but one that is giving me some time to arrange for additional reinforcements (which will begin air transport from Cookville next turn). FT convoy pulled most of 1st Marines from Nevea back to L'ville. APs arrive Brisbane next turn and will begin loading. I have perhaps six turns in which to finalize invasion plans. GG is the most likely target, although I am giving some thought to other destinations both in the Solomons and New Guinea. What John does with his CVs in the next few turns will have a bearing. John recently began using the old sub vulching tactic, thus far to fairly good effect (although the casualties are mainly SCs). I have formed a large DD TF at Noumea to go vulch hunting.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 50
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/25/2005 5:31:32 PM   
Canoerebel

8/12/42 - Jap deliberate attack at Wau resulted in noticeably more Allied than Jap casualties, which indicates the end may be near. This turn the Allies will air transport part of the 15th Brigade from Cookville (the troops just arrived in Cookville and the Dakotas are finally rested up). I expect to encounter Zero Cap. If John launches another attack this turn, it should provide a good indication of whether further air transport missions will be effective in holding off the Japs, or if instead it's time to let Wau stand and fall on its own.

Elswhere, I may have had some problems loading the invasion fleet at Brisbane. I ordered the transports to load an Aussie division, but the computer seems to have changed the command to "load troops only" (no supplies). I canceled orders and tried again and the same thing happened. I'll go ahead and load a turn and see how it goes. If the problem persists, I'll unload, disband the TF, and begin again, all of which will cost the Allies three or four turns.

The "phantom A-26" bug with Saratoga also bugs me. A squadron of A-26 (with no planes) has somehow taken roost on Sara. This bug has existed ever since I began playing UV in 2003. Whatever causes this to happen, it also appears to be affecting Sara's contingent of fighters, which has 24 "good" Wildcats but 9 others held in "reserve". The problem does not seem to be getting better turn-by-turn. If the bug persists, Sara will only have 67% effective fighters.

FT convoy will pull the rest of 1st Marines out of Nevea but may encounter mines. Jap convoy of 4 minelayers were spotted at Nevea and hit by 17 Avengers. Three of the four ML were hit, including Ishizaki three times.

Whereabouts of Jap CVs uncertain. John is generally aggressive, so I expect them to reappear in the next few turns. If so, that will affect the timing and possibly the destination of my invasion force. If John remains on the defensive, then GG will be the target. Depending on the Brisbane troop loading bug, the invasion force will sail in about two turns, or about six turns (if the bug forces me to unload and then relaod).

The BB TF will arrive Noumea five turns. I will combine that TF with the large CA/DD TF presently at L'ville, giving the Allies a fairly stout combat TF under Spruance's command. The invasion force will consist of the AP TF, Combat TF, and two CV TFs (set to "follow" the merchants so that they don't react to the enemy or otherwise separate). It is always a bit dicey to separate Allied CVs, due to the game's propensity to allow CV TFs to override "do not react" orders leading to CV TFs separating and getting decimated in detail. The only ways to counter are to put all CVs in a single TF or to have the CV TFs set to "follow" another convoy (generally merchants).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 51
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/26/2005 2:35:58 AM   
Canoerebel

8/13/42 - The Brisbane invasion fleet is loading normally and should finish this turn. The fleet sails tomorrow. Destination still undetermined. The possibilities, in order of likelihood: GG, Irau, Lunga, Buna, Dobadura, Lae.

No sign of the Jap CVs, but a surface TF was seen making a run on Wunpuko or L'ville. Twenty-six Dauntlesses from Wunpuko put two bombs in CA Kako and another in CL Jintsu. John may have been taking a long shot at hitting the CVs docked at L'ville. The carriers ought to be safe with Spruance's CA/DD force guarding the port.

Japs resumed deliberate attack at Wau. Odds fell from 1-1 to 0-1 due to arrival of advance elements of 15th Brigade. However, casualty ratio was 212/60 in favor of the Japs. The situation is beginning to look grim. The Dakotas did not encounter any CAP this turn, but I bet that changes.

One squadron of Dakotas transporting part of a Base Force from Townsville to PM. That is the beginning of the build up there. I need about ten turns to get some supplies and bombers to PM. Then Allied airpower can lend a hand at Wau. I may not have that long.... Three squadrons of PM fighters will make a low-odds fighter sweep at Wau this turn.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 52
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/26/2005 3:31:58 AM   
Canoerebel

8/14/42 - It looks like the Allies are hemmoraging at Wau. Japs aren't opposing air transport and are launching attacks at 0-1 odds, yet casualty ratio 250/37 in favor of Japs. I plan to continue to use 2 squadrons of Dakotas each turn to transport 15th Brigade detachments to Wau as long as there remains any hope, but the Allied commander is preparing to brief the press so that the bad news of the impending fall of the stout Wau defenders will be broken gradually to the American public.

Still no sign of Jap CVs. Two Jap bombardment TFs hit PM. How am I going to get supplies to that beleagured port?

Sub put two torpedos into CA Kako and another sub finished off a 2 point ML. One of the American vulch-hunting DDs took a torpedo, limped home to Noumea, and was promptly teleported back to Pearl Harbor.

Invasion fleet sails this turn. DD TF from Noumea heading to Townsville. I may send Spruance that way next turn (his CA/DD TF swinging well to the south). I may also send the US CV TF "limping" slowly toward Noumea in hopes that John will continue to have the impression that the CVs are vulnerable. In fact, they are a bit due to Sara's annoying fighter squadron bug. Once the CVs head south, John may begin to target Nevea/Koura/Gavi/Wunpuko. Given the supply situation, that is a problem.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 53
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/26/2005 5:37:33 AM   
Canoerebel

8/15/42 - John has lost his mind again! He's divided the Jap CVs. Allied recon found two NNW of Koura apparently accompanying a TF made up of heavies including BB Yamato and CAs Aoba and Maya. I say "apparently" because the Wunpuko Dauntlesses sortied and hit the heavies and did not encounter CAP. So either the Jap convoys sailed separately or John for some reason didn't put up CAP (or the ID of the CVs is entirely inaccurate). The redoubtable Dauntlesses landed two eggs on Yamato, one on Maya, and one each on two destroyers.

Meanwhile, far to the south, a Jap CV TF showed up in the middle of the Allied shipping lanes (well off the coast between Townsville and Rockhampton). How it got that far unobserved, I do not know, and how many of my TFs avoided destruction is a tale in and of itself. My 4 AK TF had just passed through that area and is nearing Townsville. It was not hit. The invasion convoy left Brisbane and was not very far from the CV's striking range, but escaped. I've pulled it back to the SSE. A convoy of AO's approached the CVs from the east, but have been likewise withdrawn. The DD convoy making its way to Townsville approached from the NE, and DD Dunlap got hit once and is skedaddling back home with the rest of its brethren.

If, indeed, these are separate CV TFs, it is an opportunity. I had a hard time deciding which group to pursue. I ultimately detailed the CVs to a point two hexes NW of Wunpuko where they should be within striking range unless the northern Jap CV TF withdraws (or isn't CVs after all). I've also sent various fighter squadrons to Wunpuko and Koura to provide long range cap to the CVs. The CVs are escorted by Spruance's CA/DD force.

If there isn't any contact and the Jap's North CV TF is a mirage or withdraws, then I'll make speed SSW to hit the other CV TF unless it too quickly withdraws.

A Jap sub crippled two AOs which, fortunately, were nearing Noumea. Both were sent back to Pearl.

Japs bombarded Wau. Air transport continues uncontested. Wau is on life support, but trying to hold out until the cavalry arrives.

The 4 AK convoy is moving north from Townsville hoping to make PM and to (1) avoid Jap CVs, and (2) avoid Jap bombardment TFs that hit PM all too often.

The next few turns could determine the outcome of the contest.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 54
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/26/2005 7:13:18 AM   
Canoerebel

8/16/42 - No, John hasn't lost his mind. He carefully set what he thought was a trap. We'll see, in the end, who got the best of it.

The Jap bombardment TF hit L'ville and found four AKs that somehow didn't receive or didn't obey orders to vamose with the with rest of the ships in the area. My bad.

John pulled back the CVs to a point SSE of Lunga where they put up CAP for the retiring bombardment TF. About 27 Zeros faced seemingly endless waves of American bombers. The Japs shot down nearly 60 planes, mostly Wildcats and Dauntlesses. In return, the American flyboys scored the following hits:

BB Yamato: 11
BB Kirishima: 1
CA Chokai: 1
CA Nachi: 1
CA Aoba: 3
DD Tokitsukaze 1
DD Hibiki: 2
DD Isonami: 1
DD Harusame: 2
DD Akizimo: 7

Perhaps John will send in his CVs hoping to strike the US CVs as they are replacing lost aircraft and pilots. The Dauntlesses can be replaced quickly, the Wildcats are another matter. But there are plenty of Marine Wildcats at L'ville to provide cover.

The biggest advantage to the Allies is the attrition to the Jap surface force. That should help Spruance and his surface ships cover the invasion fleet when it begins landing troops.

But I can't get the invasion going until the Jap CVs clear out of the way. The CV TF down near Australia was not located this turn. That's what got me thinking that they might be heading to L'ville. But they could end up anywhere: Australia, New Caledonia, L'ville, or heading back to Shortlands.

I would like a crack at his CVs on favorable terms, but I may not get it. The clash may come during the invasion, if I can get it untracked.

John has done a good job keeping the Allies off balance. I don't think losing Yamato was worth it, however.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 55
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/30/2005 2:19:41 AM   
Canoerebel

8/17/42 - John's south CV TF moved east (toward New Caledonia) and got within striking distance of my unprotected invasion fleet. The result was moderate damage to a number of APs and 150 casualties. The APs were at the south edge of the map and the Jap CVs aren't very far from that point. Accordingly, the US CVs have sallied, sailing SW from L'ville in hopes of cutting off the bellicose Japs. Recon reports the Jap TF with 2 CVs and 2 CVLs.

I repositioned two Marine fighter squadrons, one each on Sara and Wasp to make up for the losses recently incurred during my strike on the Jap surface TF.

Japs launched an air strike against L'ville this turn, but accomplished nothing against 125+ fighter CAP. Japs lost 25 Zeros and about 15 Bettys and Nells.

Japs repositioned fighters and bombers to GG. This force hit the 4 AK TF at PM, sinking two (I set my PM fighters at 100% CAP, but apparently failed to change the sweep target of Wau from the turn before, so the fighters weren't at PM to lend a hand - another "my bad.").

The invasion is on hold until I can address the damage to the fleet and address the Jap CVs sailing at will around the south edge of the map.

Japs continue to bombard Wau with minimal results at the moment. Air transport of 15th Brigade to Wau continues. Is it too late?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 56
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 4/30/2005 3:40:05 AM   
Canoerebel

8/18/42 - The Jap TF is SW of Koumac and sent waves of bombers against Noumea (doing moderate damage to some DDs) and my invasion TF (it just tore that poor fleet to shreds). I've never seen Jap CVs so far south in a game, and I had better make John pay for his boldness. I assume he will attempt to withdraw and evade my CVs, which are set to react and should be within range this turn. It is possible, of course, that John will sandwich my CVs between his to the south, and the other CV TF that was near Lunga last time it was seen (a couple of turns ago). I have two large surface fleets accompanying the CVs (set to follow, although whether the react throws them off is another question). The sub-vulching tactic also paid off, doing minor to moderate damage to a couple of tankers. It has not been a good few turns for the Allies, but if I can force a carrier battle and come out on top of that, I will be in a position to take the offensive if I can cobble together a new invasion force.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 57
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 5/1/2005 4:29:43 AM   
Canoerebel

8/25/42 - While the Matrix web-site was down, John and I exchanged a number of turns with alot of smoke but little fire...

I chased his CVs around the southern and western part of the map before the Japs finally sprinted free. The US CVs - especially Sara with a max speed of 28 - just couldn't quite catch the Japs, even with a bit of an angle. I finally called of the chase when I neared Townsville and the Japs were halfway between there and GG, because John had loaded up GG with 125+ aircraft....and moreover, the other Jap CVs could join the fray at that point.

The US CVs heading to Rockhampton to refuel and to prepare to escort the newest edition of the invasion fleet currently loading at Brisbane.

The first invasion fleet is mostly at the bottom of the Coral Sea. The Japs chewed it to pieces and the pathetic remnant limped into Noumea after fleeing across the map's south edge.

John appears to be abandoning Wau as I send yet another brigade into the fray. I'm launching a shock attack with a few fresh troops and a bunch of worn out ones to see if I'm right. It looks like about 1/3 of the Jap force has withdrawn a hex to the north.

I am not sure exactly what will happen next. I'll have an invasion force ready in another turn or two, but given how things have gone thus far, John may keep the initiative.

All in all, it has not been a stellar month for the Allies. On the plus side, I hold SOPAC from New Caledonia to Nevea; the Japs lost a number of surface ships; and the Allies hold PM and Wau. On the negative, the Allies lost a bunch of transport ships, at least half a division of troops, and have not been able to take the initiative.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 58
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 5/2/2005 3:49:18 PM   
Canoerebel

8/29/42 - More slowly than expected, the Allies appear to be getting the upper hand at Wau (due mostly to the Jap withdawal making the odds nearly even). Combat this turn resulted in 230 Jap casualties to 91 Allied.

I have not finalized any invasion plans. In the near term I am focusing on getting supplies and an additional base force to PM. I want to be in a position to use PM for major air operations when I make my move. I may use my CVs to cover the supply convoys in the meantime.

This quiessence may prompt John to further offensive action. I would still prefer to battle his CVs on my turf, but after our carrier chase he may be reluctant to try that gambit again.

His sub vulching tactic has been a pain in the rear end. I know how to handle it, but to this point my efforts have mostly met with failure, although I got I-1 a few turns ago.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/3/2005 5:08:48 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 59
RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective - 5/5/2005 7:24:29 AM   
Canoerebel

9/2/03 - Finally a successful operation for the Allies. Three AKs arrived PM about 8/31/42. The Japs were sending waves of Zeros from Gili Gili against PM's figher squadrons and GG's bomber squadrons threatened to stop cold the Allied efforts to resupply PM. So I transferred to B-26 squadrons to PM, all the Hudsons and Mitchells to Cooktown, and the B-17s to Cairns. All these bombers hit GG's airfield on 9/1, shutting down the base and destroying perhaps 30 Jap planes (mainly Zeros, Bettys and Nells).

The Japs exacted a measure of revenge this turn. A bombardment TF hit PM, sinking two AKs.

On the other side of the map, a large Jap TF incuding at least two CVLs showed up "out of the blue" ENE of Kourakouratopa and sank three lonely, itty bitty SCs at L'ville. I don't think that Jap TF has the ability to cause any significant problems in that area. I've repositioned some fighter and bomber squadrons at Koura and Nevea in hopes of hitting the Japs a lick.

The Allied invasion force is on it's way, currently NE of Rockhampton. It consists of three AP convoys carrying a total of perhaps a division and a brigade and a half of troops. It is escorted by the American CV TF. Two Allied surface TFs went to Townsville the turn before and have been ordered to bombard GG.

John is aware of the Allied naval concentration around Australia (he commented in an email). I assume he'll pull his CVL TF back from the Koura area to assist in efforts to repulse this Allied force. I am still not sure whether I will commit the force against GG. I may instead send the entire group to PM and just wait and see if John comes hunting in my territory.

Another Allied CA/DD TF arrives Noumea from Pearl in about five turns.

The Japs at Wau are bombarding again and Zeros are intercepting Dakota supply runs. I've set the fatigued Allied infantry to launch another shock attack. Eventually something has to give at Wau. In a few more turns, Allied bombers should be able to lend a hand.

The overall situation as the summer of '42 draws to a close: The Allies have a firm grip on SOPAC with a chain of bases north of L'ville from Wunpuko to Nevea. The Allies firmly hold PM and have a tenuous hold on Wau. The Japs hold GG, Rossel, and Irau as advance bases. Both sides have full CV compliments. Neither side has suffered any sort of crippling blow. The Allies need to seize a forward base (GG or Irau) to be in a better position to begin to chip away at the main Jap bases.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Copperas Bowl: Allied Perspective Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI