Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH - 5/7/2005 3:49:02 AM   
Burthold

The game needs one thing before I would recomend it to anyone. The freakin sudden death is beyond explination - especially if you enjoy playing the USSR.

In case you don't know, the game stops and performs a "who wins" check once a side is down to 20% of his/her combat forces. Its over no more game as you are just ready to taste the sweet blood of a total and complete route. PLUS, I still don't know how, but if you don't take obscure map areas you could still land a draw after bringing your enemy to 20% of his force while you may still have 100%. ARRRRG!

I refuse to dispurse a Guards regiment, who's sole purpose is sudden and lethal assult, to take a freakin cattle farm 100000m away - which completely exposes my flank to any 1/2 witt with decent intel.

Other than that the game is sound and quite fun , but the sudden death completely wrecks it in my eyes.
Post #: 1
RE: PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH - 5/7/2005 8:39:28 AM   
CommC

Agreed.

But as a simple workaround, when the game ends due to this "sudden death" just ignore all victory statements and scores the game generates and assume you have won a decisive victory (or loss if your side has dropped to below 20% strength). Then game on.

But I agree that this 20% check does end some (most?) games prematurely, just when the battle is getting to a critical juncture. For example, the other side may have 25% strength remaining and is close to achieving the territorial victory objective... but you'll never know the outcome due to the "sudden death" construct.

This really needs to be changed so the player can choose to continue the game if he wants. That would solve the problem with only a very minor programming effort.

< Message edited by CommC -- 5/7/2005 8:41:55 AM >

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 2
RE: PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH - 5/7/2005 8:13:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

We're hoping to have some adjustments to this included in the next update.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to CommC)
Post #: 3
RE: PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH - 5/7/2005 9:41:06 PM   
Burthold

Just removed it from my computer after playing a few more scenarios. The victory conditions are, sudden death, beyond my tolerance. If I smash the enemy I will dispatch a mech unit to take the undefended cattle farms with the time remaining.

Selecting stacked units and non-stacked into a group for orders is a major pain and often results in 1/2 of what I would like to send into the battle.

I have had trouble with "direct support". I select the unit from the menu and when they are attacked nothing happens from my arty. I would also like to disable the "we found an HQ and are going to shell it". Or at least give me the option to say "NO".

The reason I am taking the time to write this is because, in my opinion, the game is sooo freakin close to being something I would rave about. Good lord, I get to watch a Guards Regiment smash Nato!!! With intense sound effects and a feeling in my gut that tells me I have made the right orders 30 minutes ago and the wheel is in motion! ARRRG!!!

My modest suggestions to any war game maker.

1. Let the player use the same units over the span of a campaign with options to fix damage or upgrade his/her units based on performance.

2. Victory should be concrete and not require a slide ruler or conditions that counter reality (see sudden death).

3. Make the in game commands, like forming groups, intuitive.

If any can find it I highly recomend Steel Panthers III. Its dated and does not have the realistic command feel of FPG but is still the best in my opinion.

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 4
RE: PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH - 5/8/2005 12:15:57 AM   
Erik Rutins

Burthold,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burthold
1. Let the player use the same units over the span of a campaign with options to fix damage or upgrade his/her units based on performance.

Adding a campaign system is a huge job that has to be included from the design stages. This may show up in future games in this series, but not as a post-release feature.

quote:

2. Victory should be concrete and not require a slide ruler or conditions that counter reality (see sudden death).

As I mentioned above, we are looking into a variety of ways to make sudden death victory in particular more intuitive and logical.

quote:

3. Make the in game commands, like forming groups, intuitive.

Can you comment on what specifically you find to be counter-intuitive about forming groups? That would help us understand this point.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 5
RE: PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH - 5/28/2005 12:52:49 PM   
nukkxx5058

aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh I was in a very intersting game palyong NATO and ..... BOOM tactical NATO victory .... :-((((((((((

1.03, pleeeaaasse !

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH - 5/28/2005 4:17:32 PM   
CapnDarwin

Hang in there nukkxx. 103 is in final testing over the long weekend. It is a major leap over 102.

S!

Cap'n D

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> PLEASE FIX SUDDEN DEATH Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI