Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bad Habits taught by AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Bad Habits taught by AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad Habits taught by AI - 5/12/2005 11:53:06 AM   
CGSailor

In reading through the posts about UV, I've often seen references to the AI teaching you "bad habits" which put you at a disadvantage in pbem. Can you give examples?
Post #: 1
RE: Bad Habits taught by AI - 5/13/2005 2:05:55 AM   
crsutton

It is hard to think of specifics with short notice. Basically, though the AI is pretty stupid and predictable. There is no gamesmanship or deviations from scripted paths. That is, once you play the AI you soon adapt to its patterns of play and develop your reactions accordingly. A human opponent will play in a manner as not to be predictable-will sometimes take risks that the AI won't and will not do the stupid things that the AI will (well, most of the time) The AI understands the mechanics of the game but plays at about the competence level of a ten year old. There is no in depth stragety and you should be able to defeat it soon enough. Unless you like gaming with ten year olds you are going to get bored soon.

If you play competent human opponents, you will meet a variety styles and tactics. You will learn how to counter these styles and develop your own tactics as well. I myself, played one short scenario vs the AI and then never again.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to CGSailor)
Post #: 2
RE: Bad Habits taught by AI - 5/13/2005 5:51:30 AM   
pkpowers

the AI (IJN) cruising the CV's right down the middle of the slot come straight to my mind////I can't stand when it does that, very stupid

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad Habits taught by AI - 5/13/2005 4:19:41 PM   
timtom

Generally speaking, the AI won't punish mistakes. It engenders, in me at least, a mentality of complacency. A real opponent will make you pay, pay, pay; then pay some more...

A concrete example? Against the AI, you can leave detected subs and TF's in the same hex for two or more turns unmolested. Don't try that against a non-artificial intelligence. I was taught that in one of my earliest PBEM's in the most humilating manner imaginable (let's just say that it involved my AC TF and an enemy SC TF, and leave it at that).

< Message edited by timtom -- 5/14/2005 2:31:12 PM >

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to pkpowers)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad Habits taught by AI - 5/14/2005 1:13:53 PM   
jeffs

Timtom summed it up...

A human will punish your mistakes brutally. The AI often lets it slide.

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 5
RE: Bad Habits taught by AI - 5/16/2005 10:12:13 PM   
ltfightr

The AI will let the Allies hold Gili Gili or PM a competent Human will take them. (or if you dump every av there take an auto victory location.)

The AI will let you get you cripples home a lot of times. A human will follow you at wipe you out.

< Message edited by ltfightr -- 5/16/2005 10:15:44 PM >

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Bad Habits taught by AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI