Bad Habits taught by AI (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

CGSailor -> Bad Habits taught by AI (5/12/2005 11:53:06 AM)

In reading through the posts about UV, I've often seen references to the AI teaching you "bad habits" which put you at a disadvantage in pbem. Can you give examples?

crsutton -> RE: Bad Habits taught by AI (5/13/2005 2:05:55 AM)

It is hard to think of specifics with short notice. Basically, though the AI is pretty stupid and predictable. There is no gamesmanship or deviations from scripted paths. That is, once you play the AI you soon adapt to its patterns of play and develop your reactions accordingly. A human opponent will play in a manner as not to be predictable-will sometimes take risks that the AI won't and will not do the stupid things that the AI will (well, most of the time) The AI understands the mechanics of the game but plays at about the competence level of a ten year old. There is no in depth stragety and you should be able to defeat it soon enough. Unless you like gaming with ten year olds [:-] you are going to get bored soon.

If you play competent human opponents, you will meet a variety styles and tactics. You will learn how to counter these styles and develop your own tactics as well. I myself, played one short scenario vs the AI and then never again.

pkpowers -> RE: Bad Habits taught by AI (5/13/2005 5:51:30 AM)

the AI (IJN) cruising the CV's right down the middle of the slot come straight to my mind////I can't stand when it does that, very stupid

timtom -> RE: Bad Habits taught by AI (5/13/2005 4:19:41 PM)

Generally speaking, the AI won't punish mistakes. It engenders, in me at least, a mentality of complacency. A real opponent will make you pay, pay, pay; then pay some more...

A concrete example? Against the AI, you can leave detected subs and TF's in the same hex for two or more turns unmolested. Don't try that against a non-artificial intelligence. I was taught that in one of my earliest PBEM's in the most humilating manner imaginable (let's just say that it involved my AC TF and an enemy SC TF, and leave it at that).

jeffs -> RE: Bad Habits taught by AI (5/14/2005 1:13:53 PM)

Timtom summed it up...

A human will punish your mistakes brutally. The AI often lets it slide.

ltfightr -> RE: Bad Habits taught by AI (5/16/2005 10:12:13 PM)

The AI will let the Allies hold Gili Gili or PM a competent Human will take them. (or if you dump every av there take an auto victory location.)

The AI will let you get you cripples home a lot of times. A human will follow you at wipe you out.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI