Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Even more questions... just because.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Even more questions... just because. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Even more questions... just because. - 5/14/2005 1:59:01 AM   
Khornish

1) Will we have the ability to adjust AP costs for formation changes within the scenario editor? If so, can we adjust these values separately for each nationality or do all nationalities have the same AP costs?

2) Will we be able to give a "brigade level" order in that as a time or effort saving measure, we can give a single move order to an entire brigade? For example, I have my units in one brigade in line formation and in 2 lines. Instead of ordering each regiment/battalion individually, I want to order the brigade to move forward 4 hexes.

3) Will the scenario editor support off map reinforcements via a random reinforcement schedule as well as a specific reinforcement schedule? For replayability of certain scenarios it would be nice to be able to randomize the reinforcing units chosen from a player specified list, as well as randomize what turn the reinforcements enter the map.

4a) Can we export the end game report OOBs as a file? I'd like to have this feature to assist players who are running a mini campaign with either the software alone or also with miniatures.

4b) If the answer to 4a is an affirmative, then can we add a feature where a scenario can import an OOB file before the game is started? This way players could easily prepare for a game without having to severely modify a given scenario each time they want to play a game for a campaign.

I do want to say that I greatly appreciate the responses from Double Shot Design as it is a refreshing break from the normal routine of being ignored by the larger game companies.

Actually, I just thought of something else.

I'd not mind paying a little more for a slightly enhanced scenario editor to be used as a campaign moderating tool. Exporting and importing OOBs would be a must, of course. However, if the editor or a special additional program were made available, it would be great for us who are interested in linked games or campaigns.

I can think of several more features for such a tool, but one I really want to see is where an umpire can tinker with an exported OOB to account for stragglers, replacements, new units, leader casualties/replacements, etc.

I suppose if exporting an OOB is supported it could be done in a way that it would be text file that can be modified by hand and then imported. However, I'd rather see an encoded file format, to protect against cheating, but also to add a host of other features.

I really feel BoN could be a useful tool for us miniature gamers and would like to see some support, if at all possible.

< Message edited by Khornish -- 5/14/2005 2:07:12 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Even more questions... just because. - 5/14/2005 2:08:47 AM   
Le Tondu

Just what is an AP cost?

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Khornish)
Post #: 2
RE: Even more questions... just because. - 5/14/2005 2:23:01 AM   
Khornish

AP = Action Point

If I remember correctly, the original game had AP costs.

It takes so many AP costs to move into a hex based on terrain, change formation, etc.

Even if this new game doesn't use AP, it's going to have a similar mechanic to limit the same things.

Since the time frame a single turn covers is fairly short, that means tactical differences are going to show up. 1806 Prussians moved quite differently than 1813-15 Prussians, for example. This should be able to be represented within the game, IMO.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 3
RE: Even more questions... just because. - 5/14/2005 6:16:56 PM   
Le Tondu

Ah, I see what you mean Khornish.

Yeah, it is a different product that the original game.

We'll have to wait and see.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Khornish)
Post #: 4
RE: Even more questions... just because. - 5/14/2005 9:06:09 PM   
Khornish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tondu

Yeah, it is a different product that the original game.

Even it it doesn't use "AP" it will have a mechanism for defining, and accounting for, time and distance. That mechanism is what I want to be able to tinker with for each nation, each troop type, each morale grade, etc.

Well, lo, and I looked and saw that it was good.

http://p078.ezboard.com/fdoubleshotdesign69968frm14.showMessage?topicID=4.topic

The game does use action points afterall, unless it changed drastically after this linked message was posted.

< Message edited by Khornish -- 5/14/2005 10:41:18 PM >

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 5
RE: Even more questions... just because. - 5/15/2005 9:08:48 PM   
Jagger2002

Looks great!

Although I hope AP's can be adjusted to reflect staff efficiencies.

Units stacked with a brigade commander, stacked with or adjacent to a division commander, within 3 hexes of a corps commander or 5 hexes of the army commander automatically get the leaders’ inspiration points.

(in reply to Khornish)
Post #: 6
RE: Even more questions... just because. - 5/19/2005 10:10:21 PM   
Tim Coakley

See some notes below...

quote:

1) Will we have the ability to adjust AP costs for formation changes within the scenario editor? If so, can we adjust these values separately for each nationality or do all nationalities have the same AP costs?
---You can adjust the cost, but it is for all nationalities. You could give a bonus/penalty to each unit in APs to reflect different capabilities.

2) Will we be able to give a "brigade level" order in that as a time or effort saving measure, we can give a single move order to an entire brigade? For example, I have my units in one brigade in line formation and in 2 lines. Instead of ordering each regiment/battalion individually, I want to order the brigade to move forward 4 hexes.
--- Not in the game yet, but on the list.

3) Will the scenario editor support off map reinforcements via a random reinforcement schedule as well as a specific reinforcement schedule? For replayability of certain scenarios it would be nice to be able to randomize the reinforcing units chosen from a player specified list, as well as randomize what turn the reinforcements enter the map.
---Yes, a unit can be set for a specific reinforcement turn, or a random % to appear...with a tag to keep checking or not let the unit arrive.

4a) Can we export the end game report OOBs as a file? I'd like to have this feature to assist players who are running a mini campaign with either the software alone or also with miniatures.
----Good idea....on the wish list.

4b) If the answer to 4a is an affirmative, then can we add a feature where a scenario can import an OOB file before the game is started? This way players could easily prepare for a game without having to severely modify a given scenario each time they want to play a game for a campaign.
If I get one above done, it would be a regular OOB and could then be loaded in a new scenario.

I do want to say that I greatly appreciate the responses from Double Shot Design as it is a refreshing break from the normal routine of being ignored by the larger game companies.

Actually, I just thought of something else.

I'd not mind paying a little more for a slightly enhanced scenario editor to be used as a campaign moderating tool. Exporting and importing OOBs would be a must, of course. However, if the editor or a special additional program were made available, it would be great for us who are interested in linked games or campaigns.

I can think of several more features for such a tool, but one I really want to see is where an umpire can tinker with an exported OOB to account for stragglers, replacements, new units, leader casualties/replacements, etc.

I suppose if exporting an OOB is supported it could be done in a way that it would be text file that can be modified by hand and then imported. However, I'd rather see an encoded file format, to protect against cheating, but also to add a host of other features.

I really feel BoN could be a useful tool for us miniature gamers and would like to see some support, if at all possible.

----This is my ultimate endstate for a Campaign Engine. Will all depend on sales of the tactical engine.

(in reply to Khornish)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Even more questions... just because. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI