Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pilums ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> Pilums ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pilums ? - 5/23/2005 12:56:02 PM   
GreenDestiny

I got a question, pilums are a one time weapon. But I see units throwing them three times in a turn, command, reaction, and reserve phase. I was thinking after the first throw that should be it and then maybe you can give your units a new order in the next phase. As it is right now a full strength cohort can cause 1,800 casualties with pilums alone in one turn. I know I do this all the time. I'm starting to think that this maybe a player cheat.

Post #: 1
RE: Pilums ? - 5/23/2005 3:35:07 PM   
e_barkmann

I've rarely seen pilums get more than about 200-300 casualties per throw. 600 is awfully high! However based on what I've seen of them, it's an essential and IMHO balanced roman weapon. Perhaps the 3 throws represents the unit's entire stock being thrown over the duration of the turn. Didn't legionaires often have 2 pilums (pila? heh never good at me latin)

Cheers Chris

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to GreenDestiny)
Post #: 2
RE: Pilums ? - 5/23/2005 6:22:26 PM   
Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreenDestiny
I got a question, pilums are a one time weapon. But I see units throwing them three times in a turn, command, reaction, and reserve phase.

There are two ways to explain this:

First, the game mechanics way. You are given a command during a turn, and your unit will execute that command for the rest of the turn unless pushed backed or given a reaction/reserve order. Just like missiles, hurling the pilums act the same way. While we did consider a "single throw' idea, beta testing and balance testing showed that having the legions fire 3 times was the best balance.

From a "logical"/historic explaination, Chris (see post above) helps explain some of it. First, you could carry more than one pilum at a time. Also, you can think of the legion throwing the pilums over the entire turn -- not just all hurling at the one exact same moment, but, rather, staged in 3 throws.

Deride

Post #: 3
RE: Pilums ? - 5/24/2005 1:14:22 AM   
GreenDestiny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreenDestiny
I got a question, pilums are a one time weapon. But I see units throwing them three times in a turn, command, reaction, and reserve phase.

There are two ways to explain this:

First, the game mechanics way. You are given a command during a turn, and your unit will execute that command for the rest of the turn unless pushed backed or given a reaction/reserve order. Just like missiles, hurling the pilums act the same way. While we did consider a "single throw' idea, beta testing and balance testing showed that having the legions fire 3 times was the best balance.

From a "logical"/historic explaination, Chris (see post above) helps explain some of it. First, you could carry more than one pilum at a time. Also, you can think of the legion throwing the pilums over the entire turn -- not just all hurling at the one exact same moment, but, rather, staged in 3 throws.

Deride

Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of this also because when you put a unit on a reserve order and then throw the pilums in the reserve phase. That's it no more pilums. Which is alright with me. And yes… it would be a very rare thing to inflict 1,800 casualties with pilums alone. But it could happen.

< Message edited by GreenDestiny -- 5/25/2005 12:22:10 AM >

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 4
RE: Pilums ? - 5/25/2005 11:40:09 PM   
offbase

It's realistic. Legionairies were issued 2 pilum and I verutum (pila essentially to disable shields and hopefully get some lucky kills, verutum for sheer, closer in killing effect before closing in with the gladius). I once got 600 pts damage using the poison card on the throwing unit, but usually 2-300.

Post #: 5
RE: Pilums ? - 6/2/2005 5:48:39 AM   
2gaulle

one think have absolutly no sens, range!
Pilium was a very short weapon, 3 hex is as silly as elephant in Alexander.

quote:

I've rarely seen pilums get more than about 200-300 casualties per throw. 600 is awfully high!

unfortuntly I see that often , but from AI units....

strange also to see a winner unit going in route, specialy if it's a veterant unit

(in reply to offbase)
Post #: 6
RE: Pilums ? - 9/28/2005 11:49:14 PM   
DaveB

A legionary carried several pila, and a full stand of legionaries is 3000 men (see other messages on scale regarding this) so a legion stand taking an entire turn to throw is putting 9000 into the air.... several hundred casualties isn't that unfeasible - in actual reports a well timed pilum volley really could inflict severe damage, especially after the design was modified to make them bend after impact. If throwing in reaction or reserve phases then fewer volleys reflect less time to throw them, the unreaslistic bit here is really that unthrown pila are not retained for future use in later turns - it's a bit like you throw one and the others are confiscated, whereas in reality you have them in your hand for the next time the centurion shouts release.
Short range - yes, to a point (pun not intended) - hence the range modifiers that are applied. It's perhaps arguable that the range modifiers should have a rapidly accelerating effect so you (effectively) waste any volley at anything other than optimum range. You should have time, in a turn, to throw 2 or 3 though between the enemy coming into range and needing your gladius and shield for close order sword work.

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 7
RE: Pilums ? - 11/21/2005 4:45:33 PM   
PDiFolco

I support 2Gaulle view : they are way too deadly, due to excessive range and modifiers.
Globally in the game all missiles are much too deadly, but pila have the record !

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> Pilums ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI