Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where is Corregidor ?????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Where is Corregidor ????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 12:39:37 AM   
genchoo

Defending the Philipines, McArthur is in two places at the same time , Manilla and Bataan.
Where is Corregidor ??? And how do you get McArthur out !
Post #: 1
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 12:44:54 AM   
wild_Willie2

Getting mac out is easy, just spend some VP and put someone else in charge..

Welcome to our little discussion club , by the way...

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to genchoo)
Post #: 2
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 1:10:30 AM   
Brady

Does he move automaticaly? I was hoping he would get killed or comit sucide, but I beleave he turns up in comand of the SWPA HQ automicaly...at least last I looked I beleave he was???

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 3
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 1:40:10 AM   
Iridium

Bataan is(contains) Corregidor. You'll notice the Corregidor gun emplacement land force in Bataan.

Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 4
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 3:26:53 AM   
pompack

As to McArthur, by using his godly powers he is capable of being in two places at the same time. There is no way to prevent him from getting to Australia since he is located there as well as the PI from the very start.

(in reply to genchoo)
Post #: 5
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 5:03:48 AM   
Iridium

Or is it his evil twin?...

Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 6
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 5:22:06 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iridium

Or is it his evil twin?...

Both of them are evil!!

Corregidor is an island that was a fortified US position that guarded the entrance to Manilla bay. It held out for a long time after the fall of Bataan, and was about out of supplies when the Japanese made an amphibious landing and took the island. Other fortified islands (mainly Ft. Drum, the concrete battleship) were ordered to (and did) surrender at the same time.

(in reply to Iridium)
Post #: 7
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:22:19 AM   
Treetop64

quote:

ORIGINAL: genchoo

And how do you get McArthur out !

...Or anybody at all, for that matter!

I was wondering the same thing, as none of the "A-ships" will load troops. The Japanese are bearing down hard on Bataan and Manila, and just about the only things I have left there are the ground personnel; most of the ships and aircraft stationed on Luzon have already been evacuated.

(in reply to genchoo)
Post #: 8
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:29:17 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

quote:

ORIGINAL: genchoo

And how do you get McArthur out !

...Or anybody at all, for that matter!

I was wondering the same thing, as none of the "A-ships" will load troops. The Japanese are bearing down hard on Bataan and Manila, and just about the only things I have left there are the ground personnel; most of the ships and aircraft stationed on Luzon have already been evacuated.

Are you aware of restricted commands (such as USAFFE), and how to spend political points to transfer units to non-restricted commands?

Bodhi

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 9
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 9:04:32 AM   
Sharkosaurus rex

MacArthur was the bravest of the brave.
We should all have his portrait in a houses, schools, libraries, and hopping centres.
Defending Australia in New Guinea and island hopping could never be bested.

Attachment (1)

Is Sharkosaurus rex the biggest fish in the sea?
Why don't you come in for a swim?

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 10
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 3:39:26 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sharkosaurus rex

We should all have his portrait in a houses, schools, libraries, and hopping centres.

Oooh - you have just invited a real sh*tstorm with that one!

(in reply to Sharkosaurus rex)
Post #: 11
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 3:59:43 PM   
Sardaukar

I hope that was ironic statement too !!

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 12
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 4:17:17 PM   
wild_Willie2

quote:

I hope that was ironic statement too !!

Nope, a couple of months ago we had a tread about "Dugout Doug" that got out of hand and that was removed from this forum, read, not closed but actually REMOVED...........

Things tend to heat up when one side thinks Doug was a military genius, and the other side thinks he was a dumb couward.......

After 3 pages had been filled with arguments things got out of hand and names where called back and forth, the end result has already been explained.....

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 13
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 4:24:11 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Sharkosaurus rex, he might be the "bravest of the brave" but he was quite crazy too. Didn't he want to use atomic bombs against China? Truman was not crazy (he did not want to start WW3) and got rid of him

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 14
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 4:35:35 PM   
Rainerle

Usually 'the bravest of the brave' die in battle and get lots of medals posthumously!

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 15
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 7:37:46 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sharkosaurus rex

Macarthur's great sin in modern America is his style and personality. He wasn't particularly humble and wasn't shy about it. Today, in a world where above all you must be "nice" and PC his style is unforgivable sin. It doesn't really matter what he did or didn't do....he's detestable today because he had an ego.

(in reply to Sharkosaurus rex)
Post #: 16
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 7:46:19 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Sharkosaurus rex, he might be the "bravest of the brave" but he was quite crazy too. Didn't he want to use atomic bombs against China? Truman was not crazy (he did not want to start WW3) and got rid of him

Oh? "The Bomb" was ok against Japan, but wrong against the nice ChiComs? Obviously you butt wasn't on the line during the Korean War.

Every vet from WWII thinks "The Bomb" probably saved their lives...

No offense really intened here - but there is no such thing as a nice war.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 17
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:06:03 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Macarthur's great sin in modern America is his style and personality. He wasn't particularly humble and wasn't shy about it. Today, in a world where above all you must be "nice" and PC his style is unforgivable sin. It doesn't really matter what he did or didn't do....he's detestable today because he had an ego.

Well, if that is the case, why when you bring Patton's name up doesn't it provoke a similar response?

No, Mac had other problems besides ego.
Some high (or low) points:
1) Treatment of the Veteran's, and direction of troops crushing Hoovertown (he directed some fairly odious things against orders, then later denied and tried to cover it up);
2) Extorting $500,000 from the Philippines government;
3) Failure to adequately prepare the PI against invasion (lack of mining Lingayen gulf, etc.);
4) Debacle at Clarke Field after being warned ("It wasn't MY fault...")
5) Abandoning the PI when ordered to go to a position to where he could best direct defense of the PI (and deciding Australia look like a good position);
6) Advocating (demanding?) the courtmartial of Wainwright when Corregidor fell;
7) Completely disregarding intel reports about the Chinese entering the Korean conflict (leading to the rout of UN forces back past the 38th Parallel);

He did good things too. But no other modern US general i can think of had a list of anything near as bad as this, and still was in a top command position.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 7/11/2005 8:07:14 PM >

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 18
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:15:21 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Oh? "The Bomb" was ok against Japan, but wrong against the nice ChiComs? Obviously you butt wasn't on the line during the Korean War.

That would be because projected casualites in an invasion of Japan were > 1 million, and the TOTAL casualties in Korea were about 1/10th of that. Also because the Russians, who were Allied with the Chinese and Koreans, also had the bomb and the means to deliver it. Remember, Stalin (that great humanitarian) was still in charge of the USSR - think he would have shown a lot of forebearance?

So, whereas the bomb against Japan really risked few American lives and probably saved >200,000 GI lives, bombing China would have risked the lives of millions of US citizens. It certainly would not have saved the lives of >200,000 GIs...

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 19
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:23:23 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Well, if that is the case, why when you bring Patton's name up doesn't it provoke a similar response?

1) Treatment of the Veteran's, and direction of troops crushing Hoovertown (he directed some fairly odious things against orders, then later denied and tried to cover it up);
3) Failure to adequately prepare the PI against invasion (lack of mining Lingayen gulf, etc.);
5) Abandoning the PI when ordered to go to a position to where he could best direct defense of the PI (and deciding Australia look like a good position);
7) Completely disregarding intel reports about the Chinese entering the Korean conflict (leading to the rout of UN forces back past the 38th Parallel);

He did good things too. But no other modern US general i can think of had a list of anything near as bad as this, and still was in a top command position.

All true in one way or another - depending on your point of view. But none of those accusations change anything. If your honest with yourself, it was his style that upsets us today, nothing more or less.
If you add to that list his accomplishments and he shines above the rest of his generation.

As for Patton no one wrote tattle tale books about him because he pulled everyone's butt out of the fires of disgrace at Bastogne, all helped by the way Monty alienated the American top command at the time.
In short, Patton didn't live long enough to have his political enemies soil his name after the war.

I'm old enough to remember when Mac still alive, EVERYONE respected him then, it was after he passed away that the books came out and his reputation was under assault - it has been ever since.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 20
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:34:57 PM   
Big B

quote:

quote:

That would be because projected casualties in an invasion of Japan were > 1 million, and the TOTAL casualties in Korea were about 1/10th of that. Also because the Russians, who were Allied with the Chinese and Koreans, also had the bomb and the means to deliver it. Remember, Stalin (that great humanitarian) was still in charge of the USSR - think he would have shown a lot of forbearance?

So, whereas the bomb against Japan really risked few American lives and probably saved >200,000 GI lives, bombing China would have risked the lives of millions of US citizens. It certainly would not have saved the lives of >200,000 GIs...

And if you think "Uncle Joe" was about to throw his couple of bombs at the US and invite the annihilation of his country...I've got a bridge to sell you.
The point is, war is just killing - nothing moral about it or nice about it. The civilians don't care if they were killed by a fire bomb or atom bomb - they're just dead.
If we would have used the bomb against China at the time - war over, killing stops, and most important of all (to us) GIs stop dying.
There is nothing more moral or less moral about nukes, the unfortunate souls who are dead are just as dead. The only difference of course is today, everyone has them so the danger of the escalation you mentioned is a reality today in a way that wasn't at all true in 1950.

The point is, Mac wasn't insane for desiring to use the bomb on China at the time.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 21
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:38:55 PM   
ian77

[[/quote]

[/quote]

An american with an ego..... surely not! I thought all americans were shy, humble, and nice..... just like that nice quiet Patton chap

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 22
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:44:54 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

All true in one way or another - depending on your point of view. But none of those accusations change anything. If your honest with yourself, it was his style that upsets us today, nothing more or less.
If you add to that list his accomplishments and he shines above the rest of his generation.

As for Patton no one wrote tattle tale books about him because he pulled everyone's butt out of the fires of disgrace at Bastogne, all helped by the way Monty alienated the American top command at the time.
In short, Patton didn't live long enough to have his political enemies soil his name after the war.

I'm old enough to remember when Mac still alive, EVERYONE respected him then, it was after he passed away that the books came out and his reputation was under assault - it has been ever since.

Well - after thinking about your comment for a bit, i would still disagree.

I am old enough to remember him dying, and remember he was controversial even then.

I have never read a specific biography just dedicated to him (on my list of things to read), but had formed my opinion about him well before i knew much about his management style and ego. I could NOT figure out just by reading various standard histories of the war why he hadn't been sacked right after Clark field, let alone after his leaving his troops (this was before i understood politics a little better). And of course, there was his brilliantly erratic performance in Korea. I had formed an opinion of him based on these two things before i knew about the other things - (opinion: offensive skill 8.5, defensive skill 2.5, overall rating 6 out of 10 - i.e. just above mediocre.). His other failings solidified my opinion - and i am not particularly concerned about his ego (although i don't consider that a plus) except that his ego-generated assertations are contradicted by the facts.

Again - other generals have had huge egos, and not provoked nearly the controversy of Mac. I will admit, though, that his big ego sort of pours gasoline on the fire.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 23
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 8:59:28 PM   
Big B

quote:

quote:

Well - after thinking about your comment for a bit, i would still disagree.

I am old enough to remember him dying, and remember he was controversial even then.

I have never read a specific biography just dedicated to him (on my list of things to read), but had formed my opinion about him well before i knew much about his management style and ego. I could NOT figure out just by reading various standard histories of the war why he hadn't been sacked right after Clark field, let alone after his leaving his troops (this was before i understood politics a little better). And of course, there was his brilliantly erratic performance in Korea. I had formed an opinion of him based on these two things before i knew about the other things - (opinion: offensive skill 8.5, defensive skill 2.5, overall rating 6 out of 10 - i.e. just above mediocre.). His other failings solidified my opinion - and i am not particularly concerned about his ego (although i don't consider that a plus) except that his ego-generated assertations are contradicted by the facts.

Again - other generals have had huge egos, and not provoked nearly the controversy of Mac. I will admit, though, that his big ego sort of pours gasoline on the fire.

Cheers!
It's all a matter of flavor...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 24
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 9:00:11 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

The point is, Mac wasn't insane for desiring to use the bomb on China at the time.

I don't consider it insane (i never claimed that, although others have) - merely hugely misguided.

As far as Uncle Joe nuking the US - i don't think that would have happened immediately, but events could have escalated to that.

I.e. - Mac wanted to bomb China because of its "sanctuaries" - ignoring the fact that the US had it's own sanctuaries - i.e. - aircraft carriers that were never attacked. So, Mac uses a nuke on a Chinese city/airfield. The Russians come in, or maybe lend some bombs, and a couple of aircraft carriers are vaporized, tit-for-tat. Where do things progress to? More bombs in China? Followed by bases in Japan? And after that?

Who knows where events lead when both sides had the bomb and you open the genie's bottle? I certainly couldn't predict with accuracy (even with 20/20 hindsight), and i don't think anyone else could - including MacArthur, who didn't even have the advantage of hindsight.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 25
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 9:01:50 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Cheers!
It's all a matter of flavor...

Amen to that!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 26
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/11/2005 9:06:42 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: ian77

[

An american with an ego..... surely not! I thought all americans were shy, humble, and nice..... just like that nice quiet Patton chap

Hey over there in Britain, we haven't forgotten Monty's ego either (lol)

< Message edited by Big B -- 7/11/2005 9:07:46 PM >

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 27
RE: Where is Corregidor ????? - 7/12/2005 4:09:50 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

quote:

You left out a couple:
8) His utterly uninformed direction of the Papua New Guinea campaign, forcing the pace and firing commanders for not achieving impossible goals, while ignoring their requests for the supporting artillery thay had been trained to work with.
9) His continued fixation with capturing Rabaul long after everyone else had determined it should be by-passed.

When he finally got his act together, his advance up the rest of the New Guinea coast was well executed and effective, but the demand to "return" to the Philippines shows his meglomania was still working just fine. HE made a promise, then claimed it was binding on the United States. And even though no-one could remember his election, he got away with it.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Where is Corregidor ????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI