Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

assaulting tanks in 8.4 ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/14/2005 10:13:14 AM   
soldier

It seems much harder for troops to assaut tanks in 8.4. Even with more experience, forest terrain, reduced searching and troop toughness increased infantry just cannot sneak up on armour anymore even from one hex. The tanks spot them from point blank and blow them away. Far from making infantry a more important or powerful force on the field, 8.4 unfortunately seems to give tanks an even greater advantage over the poor foot sloggers.
Post #: 1
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/14/2005 11:38:27 AM   
soldier

geez, you cant even catch an elephant unaware. you can run full speed to within 2 hexes and remain unspotted but creep forward one hex next turn and your toast. So much for the brave tank hunters of Kursk

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 2
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/14/2005 11:43:06 AM   
KNomad

Say it ain't so .... squad assaults are my favorite part of the game.

Tips for assaulting armor:
Suppress the target first if able.
Turn squad weapons off & set range to 0 before advancing on target.

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 3
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/14/2005 12:10:13 PM   
Baneman

Well, that's good to hear - you have no idea how angry I would get when my opponents' sniper or bailed-crew would successfully assault a PzIVG

Btw - is the use of bailed-crew as spotters in PBEM regarded as "gamey" ? I always try to get mine "out of Dodge" as if IRL, but I notice that my opponents ( who admittedly, whip my @ss ) leave them hanging around and even attack with them.

Cheers

(in reply to KNomad)
Post #: 4
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/14/2005 12:55:50 PM   
soldier

Actually Baneman your opponents will be pleased to know that they can go on assaulting with snipers as that bug is unfixed. In fact under the new spotting routines snipers are the only foot unit that can sucessfully sneak up and assault armour. Proper infantry squads with molotovs, tankmines and satchel charges get an 88 in the face everytime

(in reply to Baneman)
Post #: 5
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/14/2005 1:21:49 PM   
Warrior

If you can rout the tank first, you'll have a chance. Other than that, be prepared to sacrifice some of your boys to get the job done.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 6
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/14/2005 6:08:13 PM   
Alby

Yes Buttoned or Routed tanks can be assualted much easier.

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 7
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/15/2005 12:58:19 AM   
KG Erwin

Why not drop smoke in front of your tank-killer team (assuming they have smoke grenades) in the turn prior to moving adjacent/close assault? Wouldn't this be a prudent move? If the assault fails, you have the smoke to cover your retreat (that is, IF your assault unit survives).

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 8
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/15/2005 6:50:23 AM   
Major Destruction

I drove a t-28 loaded with engineers into a Finnish squad and lost the engineers, wiped out and then the finnish squad assaulted the tank and destroyed it.

If infantry is this good against tanks who needs anti-tank guns?

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/15/2005 1:16:29 PM   
Warrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Destruction

I drove a t-28 loaded with engineers into a Finnish squad and lost the engineers, wiped out and then the finnish squad assaulted the tank and destroyed it.

If infantry is this good against tanks who needs anti-tank guns?

Probably just because they were Finns, fearsome opponents. That reminds me I haven't done a Finn scenario lately. Hmmm.

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 10
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/16/2005 6:40:52 PM   
VikingNo2

I have noticed the same thing now that I have played a couple more games, its very hard to sneak up on a tank

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 11
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/16/2005 7:26:58 PM   
Alby

I think this adds to realism...
you need to button the tank first....instead off just strolling up to it and blowing it up..

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 12
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/18/2005 4:06:16 AM   
Wild Bill

You guys sound like professional tank killers. All suggestions noted. I keep visualizing the situation. A huge Tiger tank and I'm gonna creep up on it, calmly place sticky bombs, or whatever I have at hand...shades of SPR!

I'll do it in a game. That is the ONLY place I'll do it.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 13
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/18/2005 12:41:29 PM   
Gloo

quote:

It seems much harder for troops to assaut tanks in 8.4...

I disagree with that. Seems to me much more realistic than it was. You can still ambush a tank with an infantry squad (10 men) if they are in cover or dugged in favorable terrain (and you buttoned the target with suppressing fire (that's what you did, right?)). Plus, you can tweak the Searching value to your convenience (about 60/70% imho). A buttoned tank is still blind but if the hatches are wide open and the commander is on the look out... your men get what they would receive in real life. It seems more realistic to be harder to hide 10 men or a firing mortar in the open at 0/50 meters! :o) Small sneaking teams like AT infantry are still hard to spot for a buttoned tank. To the contrary of you, I find the 8.4 much more enjoyable to play with. Infantry is still great at doing what it's meant for, occupying and defending terrain, ambushing and scouting. Tanks find back the place they used to occupy as moving artillery. Combined arms strategies are back for good and we hopefully get rid of these invisible poping smoke nasties :o)

{:]]

"One ring to find them all..."

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 14
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/18/2005 1:21:58 PM   
soldier

Well the fact is troops did do it in WW2
Tanks found the going very difficult when in poor terrain in the forrests of Finland, streets of Stalingrad and during the night at Kursk. Moving one hex is not just strolling up to a tank, the manual says that it is cautious movement that offers benefits in concealment and defence and besides troops do already suffer a penalty when moving to assault a tank. It was never easy in previous versions . I see no reason why experienced troops should always cop against amateur tank crews in that kind of terrain. Any way thats my opinion and it seems I'm in the minority. Troops in 8.4 are dominated by tanks, motorcycles & even cavalry no matter the conditions of combat. Even the MGs hit them now (which i like).

(in reply to Gloo)
Post #: 15
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/18/2005 1:35:22 PM   
Warrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: soldier

Well the fact is troops did do it in WW2
Tanks found the going very difficult when in poor terrain in the forrests of Finland, streets of Stalingrad and during the night at Kursk. Moving one hex is not just strolling up to a tank, the manual says that it is cautious movement that offers benefits in concealment and defence and besides troops do already suffer a penalty when moving to assault a tank. It was never easy in previous versions . I see no reason why experienced troops should always cop against amateur tank crews in that kind of terrain. Any way thats my opinion and it seems I'm in the minority. Troops in 8.4 are dominated by tanks, motorcycles & even cavalry no matter the conditions of combat. Even the MGs hit them now (which i like).

Keep in the the Manual is referring to the general situation. Single hex moves do not impart invisibility.

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 16
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/18/2005 2:57:16 PM   
soldier

Incorrect Warrior
The manual is talking about "the general situation", it refers to infantry

Quote "Cautious Movement : Infantry units gain a defensive bonus if they only move one hex in a turn they are fired upon. They are also less likely to be spotted if they move slowly".
Quote " Your chances of spotting him (the enemy) depend on factors such as experience. terrain and weather".
Quote " Spotting ability has been reduced for turreted vehicles and slashed even more for non turreted vehicles".

I said nothing about imparting invisibility so dont put your words in my mouth. I merely point out that suddenly all these factors are meaningless. why ?
I thought tanks had tiny directional veiwing slits and did not favour forest and town fighting. Face it, this new spotting routine breaks all the rules of tank warfare. And oh yes guys cutting the searching value has no effect with adjacent units. buttoned units fire back most often. Retreating tanks suddenly bounce back when assaulted and shoot.
Apart from this insanity i like the other changes in 8.4 a lot but this is ridiculous.

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 17
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/18/2005 11:14:24 PM   
Nikademus

I was able to successfully assault a buttoned/routed KV on the 2nd try with a good exp platoon of Ger Infantry.

Suppression is key.

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 18
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 3:49:04 PM   
VikingNo2

Just a question what was changed to make the tanks spot the infantry so much better, so far it seems that a tank has to be in retreat mode or better to get assaulted. Or is it everything can spot better with in one hex? Still working/refining my tactics however

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 19
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 4:22:56 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Suppression is key.

That can't be underscored enough: SUPPRESSION IS KEY.

The same thing goes for bunkers: fire everything you have at them, even when you know it's not going to do any damage; if it gets you to close assault range, it's worth it.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 20
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 5:34:34 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Just a question what was changed to make the tanks spot the infantry so much better, so far it seems that a tank has to be in retreat mode or better to get assaulted. Or is it everything can spot better with in one hex? Still working/refining my tactics however

everyone may have to adjust the "search" preference to there own likes and dislikes.
quoting the patch fixes list that was posted

3) "Made it a bit easier to spot enemy units, especially at range one of zero."

< Message edited by Alby -- 7/20/2005 5:35:26 PM >

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 21
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 5:51:19 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Not sure to be honest. My own tactics here havn't really changed. I always try to fully suppress a tank before slipping in an INF unit to assault. Changes or no changes, my results are still pretty much the same. The change from what i've heard will only make said tactics that much more manditory.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 22
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 6:02:40 PM   
soldier

I tried to adjust searching right down for the tank side to about 60 when i tested and i got an even more unusual result. infantry running at full speed at tanks in the remained unspotted but troops in the forest creep up one hex and whammo. Tank spins around on one hex and belts comers from all sides... in a forest !
Heres the issue. If you dont have artillery a tank in the forest simply cant be suppressed because it cannot be approached but armour in the open can be (by mgs etc) and then assaulted.
The result = Tanks in the forest are now more formidable than tanks in open terrain. Does this not break every rule of tank warfare as i previously stated people
or am i just crazy ?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 23
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 6:05:27 PM   
soldier

infantry running at full speed at tanks in the open remained unspotted to 2 hexes but troops in the forest creep up one hex and whammo
i meant to say

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 24
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 6:52:01 PM   
Alby

alot could depend on the experience level of the assualter and the tank they are assualting...dont forget..

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 25
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 7:49:11 PM   
Svennemir

[whoops, wrong thread somehow]

< Message edited by Svennemir -- 7/20/2005 7:50:11 PM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 26
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 8:27:52 PM   
VikingNo2

I am suppressing the tanks, what was trying to state was that unless its in a retreat mode then my troops get hit no matter what the terrain. This is mainly against the Russian's mind you in 1943.

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 27
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 9:01:19 PM   
Nikademus

odd. Not happening to me.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 28
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 9:43:52 PM   
VikingNo2

then it must be a communist plot

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 29
RE: assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? - 7/20/2005 10:05:03 PM   
Major_Johnson

If I'm ever in a situation where I have to use infantry to assault tanks, "normally" I'm losing, so I do my best to position the infantry (or whatever) so that the tank will run into it, thus triggering the assault mechanism. Also, try to attack with multiple units, and if possible from different directions. It is possible to divert the attention of the tank else where so that your infantry can get to within that 1 hex range. But a lot of "what if's" can be applied here.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> assaulting tanks in 8.4 ? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI