Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I have been trying to get others to join in

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Banzai!, Case Blue, The Last Days IL2 Expansion Packs >> I have been trying to get others to join in Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/20/2005 6:57:32 PM   
Hard Sarge

but don't seem to be doing too good a job of it

it looks like many people read the posts here, but not many post themselfs

so maybe this is a better Idea

so I will post some of my pilots I fly, and see how they match up with some of yours ??????

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/20/2005 7:01:28 PM   
Hard Sarge

that was strange, Darko, the more I cropped the shot, the bigger it got, so had to cut it way down to be able to post it

Darko started out flying with the Romy forces, in a Cane 1938 model, then moved to a 109 E7, then to a IAR 80, and now is flying a IAR 81a

had some trouble with this guy, one of the patches fixed the bomb load the IAR 81 could carry, only I was already armmed so could not keep flying, found a work around and got him flying again :)

< Message edited by Hard Sarge -- 7/20/2005 7:03:53 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 2
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/20/2005 7:05:54 PM   
Hard Sarge

this is one of my first pilots, didn't know you could change the planes they could fly in later campaigns, so while he started with 109s he moved on to the 190, and most of the missions are more Jabo then fighter, so I pretty much stopped flying him a long time ago

hmmm, keep uploading the right name, but wrong shot shows up

< Message edited by Hard Sarge -- 7/20/2005 7:06:26 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/20/2005 7:09:05 PM   
Hard Sarge

well maybe this will work now

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 4
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/20/2005 7:11:13 PM   
Hard Sarge

:)
there much better

this is the pilot who replaced my first one

he has moved up the line flying nothing but 109s, starting with the 109 F2 and F4, now he flys the G6, in fact, with all the add ons and patches, I forgot about him, and just happened to check him out and was shocked

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 5
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/20/2005 7:15:52 PM   
Hard Sarge

one hassle with the game, I would rather start my pilot out as a low rank, and then earn his way to leadership roles, but the game loses too many pilots, and I do much better at keeping some of them alive, if I am running the show, so I now start out much higher in rank, not enough to take over the Squadron, but enough that I should have my own flight

this guy is from BOE, and gets to play with the Spit, what a beast, Reg as you can see, does a good job in the air, but he has a passion for trains, he had flown home a number of times trailing a nice long stream of oil or coolet, and more them a few times has had to belly in as soon as he crosses the border, but that is life in the mud

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/20/2005 7:24:09 PM   
Hard Sarge

I have a few SU pilots, but 20 is about the most mission I have stuck with any of them, just too easy, I got Borus Boralot, flying a Yak 1, with like 57 kills in 17 missions, I got Yakavic, flying a P-39, with 63 kills in 20 missions

I had a very good Fin Pilot, but one of the patches killed him off, he had some 70 kills in a Gladitor, and again, lost another Fin pilot who flew the Buff, he had my record for kills in a mission (he shot down 11, but was only given 8 (he got two I-153s in the same pass, both burst into flames and then went out of control, but as soon as they did, they flew into each other, the game seen it as two planes crashing, not two planes shot down, the last kill was a I-16, that flew into a tree, and I had fired the rest of my ammo into it, again, the game seen it as a crash)

I already posted about my Desert Star, he had 54 kills, but his carrer ended :(

anybody else what to post, or brag, or whine, or anything ::::::

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/29/2005 5:27:50 AM   
mwalker

Hey Sarge, since you're begging for someone to post, I'll go ahead, but it probably won't be anything like your posts. Frankly, I'm wondering how you manage to rack up scores that make Erich Harmann look like a slouch.

I tend to play this game solo. I haven't played it much, frankly, I enjoy just setting up a big scenario and watching the battle with my plane on autopilot. But part of my problem is that I sense that it would take insane amounts of time to actually get good at it if you were playing at full realism, and that when you play solo your wingman never supports you. Invariably when I fly, my wingman gets flamed because he doesn't follow me, and frankly that doesn't help me out much either.

You seem to be an Uber Ace, but if you've got a tip or two for guy who is happy if he survives the mission, I'd be eager to here how you've become an "Experten".

MCW

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/30/2005 6:09:37 PM   
Hard Sarge

Hi Mwalker
LOL, well, don't really see myself so much as a uber, but I do think a lot of us should be seen as Experten

main trick is I have been flying flight/combat sims, since 1981

I have and do fly a lot of Fighter Ace, a online sim, and while I like IL-2 very much, I see it mainly as a offline game, the way SA is set up is really poor (situration awhareness, lol, spelling again)

overall in IL-2 I don't fly on realitic, as the sim is no where close to real, the FM sucks, and the AI cheats, and the game is very heavy into the SU slant

so as the main point is to have some fun, I would say to get into the level of flight that feels right to you, if that means no stalls, turn the stalls off, if you don't think you need to land after every flight, turn the have to land off

(all of my flight sims, I tend to go out and fly around and then come back to land, if I can land with no hassles, then I believe I do not need to land, as I know I can do it, if I have trouble with the landing in the game, then I will work on it, until I feel, I would know how to do it, so do not have to)

again, the idea is to enjoy yourself, not make it a job

but so saying, I do try to keep most of the flight model close to real

for combat, well, that depends on how you fly and what you do, over all, the old rule is still the basic, get close and fire only when you think you got a good chance to hit

something like a 109 K, with that big old 30mm in the nose, means get close and tap the trigger, one round that hits is almost a sure kill, and as you don't really have many rounds, you do not want to mash the trigger

Allied planes with 50 cals, you need to open up further back, as the 50 dont really do the damage that other guns do, but they do tend to wear a plane out, a good brust and the plane will just glide to the ground, it is a kill, but it takes time to get and if you stick with the cripple, you are a easy target for the AI

one trick if they have the edge in turn, is to keep changing targets, lock on this one, then break off and go after another, also, in a big fight, you can lock onto some one who is chaseing one of your mates

the AI does get target fixatated, hopefully not on you, as you can get every plane in the sky on your tail

the higher rank you are, the better you can control the fight, if you control the squadron, you can then pick the targets for each flight, you would be surprise how much better the squadron will do, once you take control of it

IL-2, is sort of strange as the dead six is not a good place to be, but if you can angle off on your attack, you can really knock down planes fast

if possible, the wingroot, is the prime target, your lead is a little long, you may hit the engine, a little short, you will tear up the tail, a little high and you got a chance to hit the cockpit, and a little low and you may still rip off a aireron , and of course, if you hit what you aim at, you can chop the wing off, or hit the fuel tank and blow it apart

try to be higher, when ever you got a spare moment, gain alt or gain speed and trade it for alt later

if you can, don't climb into a fight, but in combat, you got to do what you got to do

of course, being able to see patterns in how the AI flys also helps :)

HARD_Sarge

if you need details on anything, give me a situation and I will run it over

(in reply to mwalker)
Post #: 9
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/30/2005 10:45:57 PM   
mwalker

Hey Hard Sarge,

You know, I've played flight sims a long time, although there was a hiatus in the early 90s due to my EX thinking such things were a waste of time and I would be better utilized doing yard work or something similar.

Those early flight sims were fun, but they were terrible. I can remember a Lucas Arts game based in the Pacific Theater where you had one mission where you tried to torpedo the Ryujo with an Avenger. If you flew straight at the ship, you'd get shot down. But it was quite possible to shoot down all the Zeros with your Avenger! I don't remember if you could turn with a Zero, but it was close. The Wildcats could out turn them with ease.

The sims that came afterwards had better graphics, but were just as dumb. I think it was Aces of the Pacific that had your airspeed drop slightly from each bullet taken until you dropped out of the sky. I could clear the skies of even the best enemy planes solo 3/4s of the time.

As I said, I stopped my virtual flying right around the time the games started getting realistic.

At this point my biggest issue is that I realize the teamwork and wingmen ought to be critical in the game, but invariably I end up flying solo because my wingman can't keep up with me. Almost as soon as I engage I hear him calling out for help, have no clue where he is, and soon here him bailing out. It ain't much fun flying wing either.

As for aircraft, I suppose I should try the 109k. I have done a lot of flying with the Hurricane IIC. I love how stable a gun platform it is, and 4 20s can vaporise any fighter with one clean hit. Of course even against 109E's a tough fight and you get out run all the time.

I seem to recall that the 109 G10 had a 30mm gun, am I right? I used to choose that plane a lot playing that old Battline board game Airforce. I guess that's dating me pretty badly.

Mike

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/31/2005 3:33:31 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL, I don't think I had that one from Lucsa arts, but I did have the SWOTL, shoot down 4 planes and 4 more would pop up off in the distance, the Aces games were pretty good, but yes, over all, they were easy compared to what we got now and what should be coming

the Canes are nice, but very slow

the 109 F4 is a decent play to mess around with, (the F2 has the weak 20mm and is a pain)

not sure if the G10 has the 30mm as a standard load, but it can be added (G10 is a very good plane, and in fact, should be picked over the K4, as it is the better, plane, the K4 has better power, but the G10 is the cleaned up model)

(odd fact, the G14 came out before the G10 did)

LOL got to love the wingmen, I can break away from mine, pick up a bad guy boaring in on my tail, and see my wingman 500 ft behind the bad guy, and then just level off and wait, and watch the wingman fly right past the bad guy, trying to rejoin with me, ahhhh, nothing like a good set up, that the AI don't see, of course if the AI sees the plane you just put 20 cannons rounds into its engine and the large trail of smoke it is leaving from the fireball it is turning into, it has no trouble with fireing into it

do you tend to fly with the group, or do you break off on your own ?

alot of times I seem to be the first guy there, and if the alt is right and all, I can dive into the pack of bad guys, get a kill, then keep on going, and drag the whole pack after me, right into the rest of my boys, the AI is locked into me and are sitting ducks for them

tactics and what not, can be easy to talk about, reactions are not

LOL the one I got a kick out of was trying to make my attack run, so I could fire into the wingmen and try to cripple it and still get a shot off at the leader before he broke or I broke off

lead the wing man a hair, tap the trigger, and see I am off target, hit the rudder to swing my gun more to the target, get closer (already know the plan to engage the leader is shot) and just as you tap the trigger again, am blinded by the leader exploding into a giant ball of flames as the missed cannon rounds, found a different target

had a flight where I was in arcade mode (so I could see where the shells were hitting) think I was in a G6 and had a pretty diving attack into a pair of I-16s, that were almost wingtip to wingtip, was almost right on top of the wingman, and fired a burst into it and it exploded, as I dived down past them, I am craining my neck trying to see where the leader has gone (he rolls and dives he should be right behind me) and see him just drifting along, come back up and over and see he is still just flying in the same line, close in to him and he does nothing ?

pull up behind him in point blank range and look him over, the side of his plane is nothing but arrows, his wingman exploding, had crippled him (I had that snap shot as my desktop for a while :))

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to mwalker)
Post #: 11
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 7/31/2005 11:07:24 PM   
mwalker

I *try* to fly with the group, but it does't quite work. I also hate the damn formations the planes fly in, I wish you could adjust that too.

When I played board game flight sims, I liked to use a sort of inverse finger four. It was good way to channel aircraft and had the virtue of being a Thach weave with the two flights converging on each other in case somebody had jumped your tail

I tend to get itchy when using a plane with a combo of guns and cannons. I tend to hold off on using the cannons to check range, but frequently the plane you're chasing has manuvered by the time you've got the range.

One plane that I don't know what the heck to do with the FW 190. Its manuvering is so odd, I don't know what to do with it. A fast plane like a Mustang is easy, a nimble one like the Cane or Zero too. What do you do with the Focke Wulf?

Mike

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 12
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 8/1/2005 2:47:39 PM   
Hard Sarge

the FW ?
well, in this game it is a pure Boom and Zoomer, get alt, and dive to the attack, no more then half a turn if the target starts to break away from your attack, if you can't line up in a very short time, break off and keep on going

it got great fire power and can get even more firepower added on

any moves you make, should be to get your nose down , build up speed, or do anything that lets you roll, you should be able to outroll anything in the air (there is a reason why the GE loved the Split S as there escape move, the 109 can roll good, the 190 is almost unbeatable)

in Fighter Ace, we do a move called a half loop, pull up into a steep climb, get about half way up, then roll into a Split S, if done right, you should snap over and get your nose up right into the belly of the plane trying to follow you, if you off a little, you can just try going back up and and repeat

of course, for all there bragging about FM, I think the FM sucks in the game, simple moves just do not work, do a wing over, it don't work (pull up into a stall, and just as you slow down, hit HARD rudder, you should snap over and be heading the same way you just came, in this game nothing happens, I have even had a 109 hang in the air at 0 MPH)

how is your gunner, which site type do you use ? what range do you set your guns for ?

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to mwalker)
Post #: 13
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 8/1/2005 3:27:40 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL
went into quick combat to mess around, man that thing is a pig (a8)had about 5 minute fight with 2 P47 Ds, and outside of a couple snap shots, didn't do much

went back with a G10 , and nailed the first one in under 30 secs, the 2nd got into that climb and roll thing, ended up crippling it, but ran out of ammo !!!!

oops

fly a 109, they are more fun :)

unless you know you are going against some bombers, then the 190 is fun :)

dont think I have flown the 190 since the 401 patch came out, it seems even more sluggish now

LOL the plane that drove the Spit V out of the war

oh well

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 14
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 8/1/2005 4:55:20 PM   
mwalker

Well, I'm guess I'm just not the disciplined on the B&Z. I usually get sucked into chasing someone, and I find that the later, or even mid war Russian designs are suddely all over me and I can't turn worth a darn.

I like this plane, I love its armament, it even looks cool, but I have terrible luck flying them.

Mike

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 15
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 8/1/2005 6:01:22 PM   
Hard Sarge

Roger that Mike
the Buchter Bird was well named

(if I could spell it)

B@Z is very HARD in the this game, you don't really have a good view of what is going on, and if you get a good alt advantage, you are going too fast to do anything, but rip your wings off

LOL FM again, have seen planes that can/should be able to fly 430-440 level, lose there wings and tail when they reach 450 in a dive ?????

really bums me out how they model the sige of the planes, go to the no cockpit mode, and expand the site and then follow a fighter around, get with in 300 m of it and look how big the plane is, about half to 2/3s of the site, almost all pipers were set up so that the target wingtips should touch both sides of the piper at 300 yards/meters (helps with trying to judge range)

ground attack pilots in Korea, said that anything that moves could be seen from 15000 ft (vehicle)

I wouldnt mind the FW being the way it is, if other planes that were "known" to be poor were also made that way, the p-40 will out dance a Zero, the Buf is a pretty decent dogfighter, only it is slow, LOL the P-39 once the SU told the US how to fix it, may of been the best combat plane made during the 2nd world war

LOL when we gave it to the IT pilots when they changed sides, wanted to know what we were trying to pull, at least the Germans gave us 109s,

oh well, time to get off the rant wagon

best bet I think would be to crank open TLDs and start up one of the late war campaigns, and pick a FW A8/A9 and defend Berlin vs the US

you will get alot of bombing raids to attack, and some fighterbomber sweeps, that should give you some pratice with the Bird, with out haveing to contend with the uber Russian models (pretty bad when the P-51/47 are seen as the easy targets)

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to mwalker)
Post #: 16
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 8/1/2005 9:11:53 PM   
mwalker

Regarding my set up, I have a Thrustmaster Stick and throttle. The Throttle worked like a charm from the get go. The Stick was a pain. I kept reading how great and *easy* it was to set up and even customize. Well, I had no luck at all and eventually got it to work without even knowing why.

As for range, I read on a site somewhere that 200 to 250 was a good range, but since I typically prefer more manuverable (and slower) aircraft, I suppose more might be better.

I think my politics must affect my flying preferences, I prefer the Western Allies, but the Germans if I'm flying in Russia -- no good guys there, only the less bad and its pretty close to a toss up.

Also, I totally agree with the over rating of Soviet fighters. Like I said, there have been lots of times when I was too tired to play, but figured watching the game was better than TV so I'd set myself in an He-111, but it on autopilot and just watch a battle. A bunch of I-16s would be giving serious grief to 109E, and I'd be in shock. I tried to fly the thing myself, and its so squirrly I'd think the only way to hit anything would be to try that Turan? (sic), ramming concept...

Still haven't found a favorite plane, but like I said I like flying the Hurricane IIC against the the Italians say, or anything that can't just totally outrun me...

Mike

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 17
RE: I have been trying to get others to join in - 8/4/2005 2:52:11 PM   
Hard Sarge

Roger and agree

one thing, with your stick, have you ajusted your setting with in the game ? you can set the deadzone, some, so the stick is not as jittery at different speed levels

( I would make a move come inright behind the bad guy, and then when in range, my site seemed to jump from wingtip to wing tip, I worked on mine some, and now when I come in, the site only swings alittle bit (needs more work))

(I can look for the link to the info if you interested)

Western Allied ? well, to be honest, you can't really beat any of the Spits, I not really a Spit lover, but must say, in the game, it is a sweet thing, good guns, decent ground attack (I love to tear up trains), has the speed to stick with the FWs and the turn, to dance with the 109s

BOE got some nice 1944 France campaign set ups, and in TLDs you can fly for the GB or US (pick a Spit,don't go for the Mustang II or P-51 C, not worth the trouble)

do you spend any time in quick combat, I find that to be fun and helpful, pick a plane you interested in, and then change weapons and what not, and then pick the type of plane you want to go after, 4 Hawk 75s can be a fun fight (as long as you don't go late war model for you)

hmmm, Cane II would a fun fight vs them, you still going to be a little weak on power for up and down fights, but if you get them into a turn fight, it would be interesting, plus you can work on tricks

LOL was shocked was messing around and picked a plane that should of toar them up and had trouble, so started picking other planes, one of the easy fights I had was with a P-40 !!!!!

the 109 F was a cake walk too, but I fly that about 60-70% of the time, so I know that one inside and out

of course, the truely easy bird was a Oscar, but, I ran out of ammo half way though the fight !!!!

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to mwalker)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Banzai!, Case Blue, The Last Days IL2 Expansion Packs >> I have been trying to get others to join in Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI