Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CoG Whack-a Mole

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> CoG Whack-a Mole Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 7:40:45 AM   
vonkohlmann

As much as I am enjoying this game, I question the design rationale behind POW's, Rebels, and to a lesser extent Cossacks. I'm sure the decision is well grounded in historical fact, but playing Napoleonic whack-a-mole gets tedious. Fast. If POW's and Rebels, at least, were handled abstractly the game would be more enjoyable. Sid Meier said, when you have to chose between realism and fun, fun wins every time. Having two or three small armies mouse hunting every frickin' turn just isn't fun.
Post #: 1
RE: CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 8:40:32 AM   
dpstafford

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonkohlmann
If POW's and Rebels, at least, were handled abstractly the game would be more enjoyable. Sid Meier said, when you have to chose between realism and fun, fun wins every time. Having two or three small armies mouse hunting every frickin' turn just isn't fun.

There is nothing remotely realistic about the way CoG handles POW's, Rebels or Cossacks. Plain and simple poor game design.

(in reply to vonkohlmann)
Post #: 2
RE: CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 10:06:12 AM   
Naomi

quote:

ORIGINAL: dpstafford

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonkohlmann
If POW's and Rebels, at least, were handled abstractly the game would be more enjoyable. Sid Meier said, when you have to chose between realism and fun, fun wins every time. Having two or three small armies mouse hunting every frickin' turn just isn't fun.

There is nothing remotely realistic about the way CoG handles POW's, Rebels or Cossacks. Plain and simple poor game design.

At least till we can do more about such nuisance-causing units, they had better not rear their heads at all.

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 3
RE: CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 1:24:08 PM   
Latour_Maubourg

Especially cossacks. There was a huge difference between regular and irregular. Irregular cossacks were in my eyes incredible cowards. They only attacked stragglers they knew they could beat at a majority of 10 to 1. They didn't stand a chance against organized units. They were poorly equiped. Often their lances were made of sharpened poles with no metal points to it. And they definately didn't go till Paris if the Russian army was still for example in Poland. Also cossack infantry. It might be me but I never heard of them. If they want to have irregular cossacks in the game, fine. But make them so that they cannot move more than one click further than the main body of the army. Regular cossacks were often highly trained horsemen with a harsh tsasiristic discipline. It was these who camped in the bois de Boulogne after the allies took Paris not the rabble dabble Cossacks. Rebels and Pow's have already extensively been discussed on this board.

L-M.

"What have you got to cry about man, you have one less boot to polish in future." L-M's reaction at his distressed valet after his leg was shot off at Leipzig.

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 4
RE: CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 2:12:04 PM   
dapamdg

It was said that if there were any woods on a battlefield, they would be full of (irregular) Cossacks in hiding; not as an ambush, but out of fear.

(in reply to Latour_Maubourg)
Post #: 5
RE: CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 4:13:12 PM   
Mynok

I ignore rebels and just leave an army on my capital. They come to me. I don't have depots around a lot (I play Turkey mostly) but even if I do, a couple irr cav keep them at bay nicely.

I've fought Russia as Turkey and the Cossacks didn't bother me much. I moved all my prisoners to Crete, of course, an option other nations might not have. Turkey also has lots of "cossack hunters" in their irr cav.

(in reply to dapamdg)
Post #: 6
RE: CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 5:03:20 PM   
Latour_Maubourg

quote:

ORIGINAL: dapamdg

It was said that if there were any woods on a battlefield, they would be full of (irregular) Cossacks in hiding; not as an ambush, but out of fear.

"What have you got to cry about man, you have one less boot to polish in future." L-M's reaction at his distressed valet after his leg was shot off at Leipzig.

(in reply to dapamdg)
Post #: 7
RE: CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 6:41:28 PM   
Mr. Z

quote:

Sid Meier said, when you have to chose between realism and fun, fun wins every time.

An excellent piece of advice that we would generally agree with, though CoG is in many ways very different from the Civ series.

quote:

They were poorly equiped. Often their lances were made of sharpened poles with no metal points to it.

Well, we did make them irregular units!

quote:

And they definately didn't go till Paris if the Russian army was still for example in Poland. Also cossack infantry. It might be me but I never heard of them. If they want to have irregular cossacks in the game, fine. But make them so that they cannot move more than one click further than the main body of the army.

Maybe difficult to implement, but we could try it. I believe there have already been suggestions for handling Cossacks on other threads that Eric has said he will try and implement in a patch. POWs will also be looked at closely.

(in reply to Latour_Maubourg)
Post #: 8
RE: CoG Whack-a Mole - 7/22/2005 7:29:06 PM   
vonkohlmann

I'm not comparing CoG to Civ or any other Sid Meier Game; his statement, IMHO, is just a good piece of game design advice.

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> CoG Whack-a Mole Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI