Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How old are you?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: How old are you? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
[Poll]

How old are you?

under 18
  0% (1)
19-25
  3% (8)
26-35
  28% (60)
36-45
  44% (94)
46-50
  14% (31)
51 and older
  8% (19)

Total Votes : 213

(last vote on : 9/22/2005 10:24:58 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How old are you? - 8/3/2005 10:33:15 PM   
pratttroy

I played avalon Hill games back in the late 50's and continued off on untill the present. This is my second computer war game. My first was Medieval Total War.I bought both of them this year.I'm 62.

(in reply to Franky513)
Post #: 61
RE: How old are you? - 8/3/2005 11:03:05 PM   
U2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

So far this poll is incomplete. There needs to be a larger number of responses from members to get an accurate idea. I believe there are 16,000 registered members. I think a 1,000 responses would give a more accurate picture.

I don't think so. One can get good statistics without questioning 1/16 of the population who they are going to vote for. Or how many do they interview in your country??

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 62
RE: How old are you? - 8/3/2005 11:45:29 PM   
Terminus

Polls have to contain, as a general rule, 1200 answers to be representatives. At least, that what they taught me in school.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 63
RE: How old are you? - 8/4/2005 12:30:55 AM   
U2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Polls have to contain, as a general rule, 1200 answers to be representatives. At least, that what they taught me in school.

I guess that depends on how many the target group consists of. In a recent poll by Sky News about the muslim Brittish population and their feelings on the London bombings they questioned 440 people. There are 1.5 million muslims in England i believe.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 64
RE: How old are you? - 8/4/2005 12:40:51 AM   
Zap

At this point there are 161 votes out of 16,393 registered members. No votes for anyone under 18 ; 4 votes for those 18-25. I'm not sure if that is truly representitive.

In these posts those that respond are those who feel like it. In a true poll a more representive group is searched out.

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 65
RE: How old are you? - 8/4/2005 12:48:58 AM   
U2

quote:

At this point there are 161 votes out of 16,393 registered members. No votes for anyone under 18 ; 4 votes for those 18-25. I'm not sure if that is truly representitive.

There are three groups of us here.

1. People like me that started wargaming on computers during the 80's or 90's when wargames was sold retail.

2. People in their 30's - 60's that started wargaming thanks to boardgames from 1960-1990 (my best estimate). And this group, unfortunately for our hobby, is the vast majority of us. A huge generation of wargamers thanks to boardgaming which is the reason our fine hobby exists (computer wargaming). When they start leaving this world this hobby will too....

3. People from late 90's to 2005 that bought their first ever wargame. Too few of them I believe....

I don't think the numbers lie and that has been my firm beleif for a long time. There is hardly any new young wargamers filling the ranks.

If you are 10-80 and your first wargame was on a computer bought between 2000-2005 please state so here. Would be interesting to find out.....

< Message edited by U2 -- 8/4/2005 12:52:34 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 66
RE: How old are you? - 8/4/2005 1:22:05 AM   
RBWhite

I agree with you and Zap, Terminus makes a excellent point too.

I have a problem with the 51 and older number, 13. I think some of us old folk here at Matrix are hiding out. I'm 55 and voted lets go you gray haired warriors.

Rick White

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 67
RE: How old are you? - 8/4/2005 2:18:56 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: U2

[

2. People in their 30's - 60's that started wargaming thanks to boardgames from 1960-1990 (my best estimate). And this group, unfortunately for our hobby, is the vast majority of us. A huge generation of wargamers thanks to boardgaming which is the reason our fine hobby exists (computer wargaming). When they start leaving this world this hobby will too....

I don't think the numbers lie and that has been my firm beleif for a long time. There is hardly any new young wargamers filling the ranks.

I firmly belong in group 2--the baby-boomers who grew up in the aptly-titled "Century of Warfare". The death of wargames has nothing to do with the lack of conflict-- it has more to do with the difficulty of simulating war as practiced in the 21st century.

Conventional --or gameable-- warfare is now a thing of the past. We're now faced with a style of combat that actually lends itself more to first-person shooter games than tactical or strategic simulations.

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 68
RE: How old are you? - 8/4/2005 4:18:04 AM   
jnier

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: U2

[

I firmly belong in group 2--the baby-boomers who grew up in the aptly-titled "Century of Warfare". The death of wargames has nothing to do with the lack of conflict-- it has more to do with the difficulty of simulating war as practiced in the 21st century.

Conventional --or gameable-- warfare is now a thing of the past. We're now faced with a style of combat that actually lends itself more to first-person shooter games than tactical or strategic simulations.

Wargames aren't even close to dying. They are actually experiencing a bit of a revival as of late. And the fact that conventional wars are no longer fought should not be a problem for the hobby. The most popular eras to game are Napoleonics, ACW, & WW2. I don't see how the popularity of those eras will be affected by the lack of conventional wars in the future.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 69
RE: How old are you? - 8/4/2005 4:48:24 AM   
Zap

If you look at all those who post in CoG, GGWaW. WiF, WitP, ect. none of those have posted a vote here. There are tons of them, names I,ve never seen post here. I would be curious to know what there ages are. Many of them are recent registrants in the Matrix Forum and many of them are young.

Yea, there are many more over 51 that frequent these forums that have not posted a vote yet!

< Message edited by Zap -- 8/4/2005 4:50:16 AM >

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 70
RE: How old are you? - 8/4/2005 1:12:39 PM   
U2

quote:

If you look at all those who post in CoG, GGWaW. WiF, WitP, ect. none of those have posted a vote here. There are tons of them, names I,ve never seen post here. I would be curious to know what there ages are. Many of them are recent registrants in the Matrix Forum and many of them are young.

Yea, there are many more over 51 that frequent these forums that have not posted a vote yet!

How do you know that, can you see which persons have voted here?

How do you know that many of the new registrants are young?

One thing that I can't complain about is that I have never seen so many wargames released. I am very happy about the amount we have to choose from these days. I am just a little conserned about what will happen once the Avalon Hill/SPI generation is no longer with us.

< Message edited by U2 -- 8/4/2005 1:21:04 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 71
RE: How old are you? - 8/5/2005 3:06:28 AM   
Brigz

quote:

Original U2

One thing that I can't complain about is that I have never seen so many wargames released. I am very happy about the amount we have to choose from these days. I am just a little conserned about what will happen once the Avalon Hill/SPI generation is no longer with us.

We're not dead yet. I plan on being around for another twenty to thirty years. At least as long as my vision and memory hold out.

< Message edited by Dave Briggs -- 8/5/2005 3:10:20 AM >

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 72
RE: How old are you? - 8/5/2005 5:08:41 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

quote:

Original U2

We're not dead yet. I plan on being around for another twenty to thirty years. At least as long as my vision and memory hold out.

Ha ha, Don't you worry about us old Grognards U2...we're gonna be around for many decades to come!...and we'll have even more cash to spend on games - and the salesmen know that!

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 73
RE: How old are you? - 8/5/2005 10:57:25 AM   
U2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Ha ha, Don't you worry about us old Grognards U2...we're gonna be around for many decades to come!...and we'll have even more cash to spend on games - and the salesmen know that!

I know and I'm very glad I was just thinking 50 years into the future hehe

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 74
RE: How old are you? - 8/7/2005 12:26:11 AM   
rhondabrwn

OK, I'm 57 and my first computer wargame was Gary Grigsby's "Guadalcanal Campaign" on my Apple II Plus. First wargame was AH Gettysburg '65.

That said... let me announce to everyone that I am back... I successfully made the move out to Tsaile, Arizona where I am now a middle school social studies teacher on the Navajo Indian Reservation. Surprisingly, I was able to get a high speed DSL connection set up through Navajo Communications and it was installed today and Matrix was the first site that I HAD to visit!

I am so happy... I didn't think I'd have broadband out here!

BTW... words cannot describe how beautiful this country is! I am nestled in the shadow of the Chuska Mountain Range and right at the top of the Canyon de Chelly. I have a beautiful little two bedroom brick house to live in and high desert out my back door. I'm at about 7,000 feet altitude so the temperature is really comfortable and nice and chilly at night for sleeping.

Other than having a 60 miles round trip over a dirt road to pick up my mail.... or get a gallon of milk....
Life is very, very good at the moment!

I wanted all my friends to know that I made the move safely and thanks to everyone who sent me their well wishes with this big career move!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 75
RE: How old are you? - 8/7/2005 8:48:48 AM   
Hauberk

48.My first game was "Devil's Den".A Gettysburg game that I think was published by Avalon Hill.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 76
RE: How old are you? - 8/7/2005 5:45:31 PM   
DandricSturm

56 I started wargamming in the 60s by watching a friend's older brother playing Avalon Hill games, particularly D-Day. I just registered for these forums today so this is my first post.

(in reply to Hauberk)
Post #: 77
RE: How old are you? - 8/7/2005 5:48:10 PM   
Terminus

Welcome aboard!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to DandricSturm)
Post #: 78
RE: How old are you? - 8/7/2005 6:04:54 PM   
DandricSturm

Thanks.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 79
RE: How old are you? - 8/7/2005 6:46:26 PM   
Nomad

OK, I'm a WitP type person, 58 years old. I started about 1971 with minitures and SPIs orginal 4 map War in the East. I have played most SPI titles and Avalon Hill at some time, and others, just do not remember them. About 15 years ago I lost a bunch of board games when the storage building burnt down.

First computer game I remember was Tigers in the Snow for the TRS-80. It used a text interface and a single Squad Leader looking board. I even programmed another game using the same technique.

Post #: 80
RE: How old are you? - 8/7/2005 8:38:54 PM   
watchtower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

About 15 years ago I lost a bunch of board games when the storage building burnt down.

Now that is nasty, nasty, nasty.

I feel your grief. Still not over it eh?

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 81
RE: How old are you? - 8/7/2005 8:44:07 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DandricSturm

56 I started wargamming in the 60s by watching a friend's older brother playing Avalon Hill games, particularly D-Day. I just registered for these forums today so this is my first post.

Dandric! Hey, man, it's great to see you here.

Post #: 82
RE: How old are you? - 8/8/2005 1:15:04 AM   
Zap

How do I know new regestrants are young?
I'll bet you 10 dollars or whatever is the equivalent in your money most of them are younger that 52 and that makes them young in my estimation.!(younger than me!). That, I can guarentee you.
My reason for believing they are young is that GGWaW is an Intermediate level in complexity and also it was sold in stores. I think that drew in new blood.

As to your other question- I base my answer on what some have posted in other threads saying they don't come over here because they are using 56k modems. Or that they are not interested in looking through "General Discussions".

Just to conclude this I have not done a study if that is what your asking. Mine is just an opinion with what knowledge I have.

< Message edited by Zap -- 8/8/2005 2:23:56 AM >

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 83
RE: How old are you? - 8/8/2005 11:32:42 AM   
stevemk1a

O.K. I'm 36 years old. My first wargames were 3rd Reich and Panzerblitz/Leader. I remember playing them with a bunch of other geeks in the computer room of our High School in the mid-eighties ... Squad Leader and then ASL were then our next game.

Later on, I can recall playing the RED BARRICADES HASL with a friend in my first apartment (with my first long -term girlfriend ... later my wife) while fighting a delaying action with her cats ... she won :-(0

I really enjoy Spwaw and Spmbt pbem games ... lately ...and Combat Mission pbems too ..

Cheers, Stephen.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 84
RE: How old are you? - 8/9/2005 4:16:02 AM   
Dunhill_BKK

My first wargame was Gettysburg '77, and thanks to Belphegor I've got scans of the tables to complete my collection of all the required materials of the game, some of which is now electronic.

I think the advanced version is the perfect setting for a wargame. The scope is perfect. I'm still hoping to find some time to rework the game, but that depends in great part on "she who must be obeyed".

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 85
RE: How old are you? - 8/10/2005 5:48:34 AM   
Big B

Nomad,..huge bummer about the lost games. I feel THAT pain.

DandricSturm glad to have you aboard.

I'm curious about something - (espescially to everyone who is a WitP Fan) Has anyone played the SPI Monster Game called 'War In The Pacific'?
I have that, and it's cousin 'War In Europe'. Bought them in the late 70s or early 80s when they came out.

I thought I wold never get a chance to play it until I retired - but now playing WitP by 2by3 (almost as good.)

(in reply to Dunhill_BKK)
Post #: 86
RE: How old are you? - 8/11/2005 6:35:40 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

I'm curious about something - (espescially to everyone who is a WitP Fan) Has anyone played the SPI Monster Game called 'War In The Pacific'?
I have that, and it's cousin 'War In Europe'. Bought them in the late 70s or early 80s when they came out.

I thought I wold never get a chance to play it until I retired - but now playing WitP by 2by3 (almost as good.)

I've got "War in Europe" also put away for retirement <LOL> but I'm afraid the computer has rendered my old board collection some what irrelevant except as a possible future source of cash sometime in...2070... when someone wants to pay BIG BUCKS for an authentic "Board War Game"..I'll pass them along to my kids in hope of them reaping the benefits of perpetual storage of old game titles!

Ya know... I've dumped a lot of stuff in my life and I still can't believe that I continue to haul around two closets full of old games plus 7 boxes of old Science Fiction paperbacks! Even when I had to trim down to come out here to Tsaile, I never considered leaving this stuff behind... likewise my guitars... after all, we must respect the more important things in life... right?

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 87
RE: How old are you? - 8/11/2005 7:08:55 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

I've got "War in Europe" also put away for retirement <LOL> but I'm afraid the computer has rendered my old board collection some what irrelevant except as a possible future source of cash sometime in...2070... when someone wants to pay BIG BUCKS for an authentic "Board War Game"..I'll pass them along to my kids in hope of them reaping the benefits of perpetual storage of old game titles!

Ya know... I've dumped a lot of stuff in my life and I still can't believe that I continue to haul around two closets full of old games plus 7 boxes of old Science Fiction paperbacks! Even when I had to trim down to come out here to Tsaile, I never considered leaving this stuff behind... likewise my guitars... after all, we must respect the more important things in life... right?

oh thats like me keeping all my old Starfleet Battles boxes and all my Dungeons and Dragons manuals from the 80's. *pictures his wife rolling her eyes once again*

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 88
RE: How old are you? - 8/12/2005 5:52:01 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

oh thats like me keeping all my old Starfleet Battles boxes and all my Dungeons and Dragons manuals from the 80's. *pictures his wife rolling her eyes once again*

Yea, and go check her dresser drawers and count all the old lipsticks that she is probably hanging onto (we all do it).

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 89
RE: How old are you? - 8/12/2005 6:27:29 AM   
ilovestrategy

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to be married to truly appreciate what you just said lol

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: How old are you? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI