Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/23/2005 3:26:59 PM   
CPTBrown

Yeah, I've been following Maximum Football since about Christmas time and I just ran across this game while checking the MF forums for updates. I'm excited for the releases and I'll be buying them both. I am still a dedicated OOTP player, but this game plays real fun (I downloaded 8.21 hours before it got taken down am playing the demo version, 15 tries left!) and I'm going to add it to my collection.

CPT B
FLY ARMY!

(in reply to sd5175)
Post #: 31
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/23/2005 6:54:12 PM   
MizzouRah_slith

I like both games (ootp and ps), but for the solo player like myself, I like how much easier Puresim is to setup and play vs OOTP. I'm a veteran of ootp, but there's so much to tweak to get good results and honestly, I like not having waivers, rule 5 draft, etc..

The only thing I wish Puresim would have is a current MLB setup and structure. As it stands now, you can't create a similar MLB setup.

Keep up the good work though Shaun!

(in reply to CPTBrown)
Post #: 32
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/24/2005 4:21:40 AM   
roo23

What do you mean you can't set up the game similar to MLB?

I have been using the Lahman database and playing different setups all along. Started one association in 1919 (kept Babe with the Sox!), one in '84, and even replayed the 2005 season (rosters and setup courtesy of a fellow puresimmer named lynch). Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

(in reply to CPTBrown)
Post #: 33
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/24/2005 5:05:25 AM   
lynchjm24

I think he's referring to the financial setup of today's MLB - where say NY has a payroll 8 times that of Tampa - not the divisions and playoff structure.

(in reply to roo23)
Post #: 34
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/24/2005 7:48:04 PM   
MizzouRah_slith

Exactly. Fictional players are fine, I just want to use the salary structure of the MLB.

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 35
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/24/2005 9:48:36 PM   
Amaroq

You should be able to create a set-up which matches MLB, because you can by-hand-edit the budgets for each team. You just need to decide what they are / do the research yourself.

I've done something like this, where I've created a "Quick Start" for 1901, with the team names, ballparks, and financials that I want to play with; if I start a new game, I can pick up my "Quick Start" for that year, and go from there.

The reason there isn't one in the shipping game is an intentional design decision on Shaun's part: he felt that the exaggerated differences between clubs in the real major leagues created too much disparity in the game for a new player: e.g., if I'm a new player and I play one career as the Yankees, winning everything under the sun, I may give up on the grounds that "This game is too easy." Alternately, if I come in as the Pirates, and no matter what I do, any time I get a good player his salary demands immediately price him off my team, I might decide "This game is too hard."

Personally, I think that's a mistake - I like the financial challenge inherent in Football Manager 2005 when you take over a team that's struggling financially and "turning a profit" becomes more important and more challenging than "success on the pitch", but that's just me. Shaun's point gets a lot of support if you read the FM forum, because you will regularly see players complaining "This game is too easy" in a post adjacent to somebody else's complaint "This game is too hard". Well, no, honestly its neither, and it has all to do with what your starting conditions are and which team you chose to play - but the first-time user has a hard time seeing that.

(in reply to MizzouRah_slith)
Post #: 36
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/24/2005 11:27:02 PM   
roo23

Ah, I see. I have just done as Amaroq did and do the names, ballparks, and financials myself. It would be nice if there was a 'default' setup like that... I actually hadn't even thought of that as being an issue - I kind of found it fun and interesting to get that info myself and sort of personalize the game. But you're right it would be nice to have right at the start.

(in reply to CPTBrown)
Post #: 37
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/25/2005 6:49:31 AM   
MizzouRah_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

You should be able to create a set-up which matches MLB, because you can by-hand-edit the budgets for each team. You just need to decide what they are / do the research yourself.

I've done something like this, where I've created a "Quick Start" for 1901, with the team names, ballparks, and financials that I want to play with; if I start a new game, I can pick up my "Quick Start" for that year, and go from there.

The reason there isn't one in the shipping game is an intentional design decision on Shaun's part: he felt that the exaggerated differences between clubs in the real major leagues created too much disparity in the game for a new player: e.g., if I'm a new player and I play one career as the Yankees, winning everything under the sun, I may give up on the grounds that "This game is too easy." Alternately, if I come in as the Pirates, and no matter what I do, any time I get a good player his salary demands immediately price him off my team, I might decide "This game is too hard."

Personally, I think that's a mistake - I like the financial challenge inherent in Football Manager 2005 when you take over a team that's struggling financially and "turning a profit" becomes more important and more challenging than "success on the pitch", but that's just me. Shaun's point gets a lot of support if you read the FM forum, because you will regularly see players complaining "This game is too easy" in a post adjacent to somebody else's complaint "This game is too hard". Well, no, honestly its neither, and it has all to do with what your starting conditions are and which team you chose to play - but the first-time user has a hard time seeing that.

Excellent explanation and well, now I understand. Like you, I think it's a mistake and has cost some $$$ as I know a lot of people who want to play a current real mlb setup league. Real 2005 player rosters are big for games like this and like most who want this type setup, I have a league which mimics the MLB to an extent, but it would be better to have a REAL MLB quick league setup.

I still like the game and create and play other leagues, but I like seeing my current Cardinals team in the game via roster maker and default setup - ala OOTP.

With what Amaroq said, now I see what Shaun was thinking and well, not a bad design by any means.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 38
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/26/2005 12:03:06 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

...I've created a "Quick Start" for 1901, with the team names, ballparks, and financials that I want to play with; if I start a new game, I can pick up my "Quick Start" for that year, and go from there.

What a great idea! Thanks, Amaroq. Saving a league startup never occurred to me. I always started from scratch.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 39
RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? - 8/26/2005 11:18:27 PM   
Amaroq

Thanks, guys - glad to help, both with the idea and the explanations.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: I play OOTP - how does this compare?? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI