Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pluses/minuses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Pluses/minuses Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pluses/minuses - 10/17/2005 2:15:08 AM   
harlikwin

Newbie here,

I was wondering if somone could give some of the strengths and weaknesses of the game? How is the AI? Any current big bugs or big upgrades of the game planned?

I used to play Empires in Arms back in the day and was looking at picking it up as a computer game once its out, how does this game compare to EIA?
Post #: 1
RE: Pluses/minuses - 10/17/2005 2:27:18 AM   
Tigleth Pilisar

I put my summary of my opinion of the game in the thread called "Hello". I'm the 7th post. I think it is a great game but somewhat frustrated with complexity not handled well from a user interface point of view. If you are patient, willing to do some trial and error and have time, I'd buy. If you want something you can learn quick, I'd go somewhere else and risk that you only find shallow games.

I haven't played EIA, so can't compare. It seems there may be some bugs, but the developers seem on it and about to send out a 1.3 fix version. Bugs don't seem to be a problem.

(in reply to harlikwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Pluses/minuses - 10/17/2005 11:59:06 AM   
Grand_Armee

I've played EIA and I think the games have a lot in common. The only real difference is complexity. For instance in EIA you can manipulate your economy a little bit. In COG you can manipulate everything.

If you want to build ships, you would build more wood, for instance. Another instance, if you wanted cannon you would build more Iron.

Unlike EIA, the morale of your troops isn't static. You can take Turkey, and with a few years turn out soldiers to equal Europe's best.
Also, instead of building a few thousand cavalry, you could build a couple divisions of any cavalry from lancers to curassiers. ...And everyone can build Guard divisions.

COG has as much if not more diplomatic possibilities than EIA.

You have two types of combat: Quick Battle and Detailed Battle. There is a lot more to luck in QB, but you can control each division in DB and make your own luck. No chit choice.

I imagine if you were playing against the AI in EIA, a turn would take all of three minutes depending on how much happened to other countries that you could see. COG is blessedly more in-depth.

The version in open-beta is very functional and the bugs are very minor. (I think the only thing I can't do that I may wish to do is pull into a friendly nation's port)

Like I said in another post, this is the best 40$ I ever spent.

(in reply to Tigleth Pilisar)
Post #: 3
RE: Pluses/minuses - 10/17/2005 12:01:45 PM   
Naomi

quote:

ORIGINAL: harlikwin

Newbie here,

I was wondering if somone could give some of the strengths and weaknesses of the game? How is the AI? Any current big bugs or big upgrades of the game planned?

I used to play Empires in Arms back in the day and was looking at picking it up as a computer game once its out, how does this game compare to EIA?

A neater comparison is possible only when the PC-version of EIA comes out. ^,^v

(in reply to harlikwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Pluses/minuses - 10/17/2005 8:22:42 PM   
harlikwin

Well I was talking about the board game when talking about EIA. I just wanted a rough comparison of what was possible in the game. Looks like I'll be getting it.

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 5
RE: Pluses/minuses - 10/18/2005 4:13:24 AM   
Naomi

The differences are many, among which you can play COG on a PC while you can't yet regarding EIA. ^o^

Back to what you might be more interested in, COG is set in a highly dynamic environment, in which most things change from time to time - and do it very frequently. Take national tax income, you have 100 gold ducats this month, whereas you can have, say, 200 next month, as in COG you will always have a vagary called waste to deal with, and it represents an uncontrollable (albeit not totally so, since we can now build on courts - thereby expanding their legislating power - to tackle it) part of your national economy. A better example will be served by merchant income, which fluctuates most widely, be it there competition and piracy. Trade links are subject to interruption, mitigating their role as reliable ways of obtaining gold or other commodities. Moreover, while you expect income flows to arrive per quarter in EIA, you will have monthly inflows in COG and they are not necessarily equal to how much you expected to receive in the preceding month.

Have you read threads or reviews about COG's military affairs - especially how to resolve a battle? It is said (don't bother to know who said it ) to be a crown jewel in COG, as there is really much effort in making combat realistic (if not exactly historically accurate) as well as fun. COG provides a mechanism by which, when it comes to resolving a battle, you can command divisions (smallest indivisible units) and move them about within a tiny part of the province - which is the battlefield. So we can say, there are tactics to employ. Besides, you have many kinds for each branch of arms up for construction. (Though, mentioning naval battles, you will always resolve them in a less detailed fashion.)

I'd better stop here, as I am neither good at writing nor describing and, more important, not certain if it above is what concerns you most. Btw, did you get the game yet?

(in reply to harlikwin)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Pluses/minuses Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI