Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Say Tim, what are the chances?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Say Tim, what are the chances? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Say Tim, what are the chances? - 10/21/2005 12:03:23 AM   
Le Tondu

Dear Tim, (a.k.a. Double Shot Design)

We all would like to know when we will see this game. It is so cool that some of us find it hard to wait. Some folks have forsworn playing any Napoleonic games until this one is released.

I understand it is in developement and I respect that. Unexpected improvements and upgrades might happen suddenly without any warning and therefore delay the release of any game.

I ask for nothing specific.

In general and according to the way that things look at this time, what are the chances of seeing this game released before end of:

Last Quarter 2005?

First Quarter 2006?

Second Quarter 2006?

Third Quarter 2006?

Last Quarter 2006?

(ie. 90%, 80%, etc....)

We'd like an unoffical ballpark guesstimate that no one can be tied to.

If that cannot be given, what is your personal opinion or hopes?

Many thanks from all of us.
Rick

Vive l'Empereur!
Post #: 1
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 10/21/2005 8:58:35 PM   
Tim Coakley

I would love to give a good date...but...

Honestly I expected to be done a year ago. The programming takes much longer than I ever imagined, not to mention getting graphics.

Good news...I should have a new version to the testers early next week. Took care of two issues I wanted done before sending it out again.

I have locked the features so no more delays in that manner.

I expect to reach solid testing about 1st of the year. They it will be bug crunching, scenario design, and graphics updates.

About all the info I can give.

Tim

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 2
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 10/21/2005 11:00:00 PM   
Le Tondu

Tim,
Cool.

It gives us a picture that is a big help.

Thanks again.
Rick

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Tim Coakley)
Post #: 3
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 11/26/2005 3:19:15 AM   
1NWCG

Hey Tim,

Were pullin for ya!!

--Scott & the 1NWCG

Wargame Clubs - http://www.wargame.ch

The Blitz - http://www.theblitz.org/

Two of the Internet's Oldest Wargaming Collectives

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 4
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 11/27/2005 2:27:08 PM   
IAN 1963

Hi
Now that the perameters and specs for the game have been fixed could we please have a table showing the fire and melee factors of the various weapons included in the game. It would also be helpful to have the fire and melee defence modifiers it is proposed to use for cuirassiers etc.

This will enable people to work out the right pluses and minuses to use to mod different weapons types not in the game, for example

1. Increase basic fire factors of muskets and rifles by 1/7th when fitted with percussion locks to stimulate the lower rate of misfires. = Needed for the post 1840 to 1860 period

2. Increase the fire factors of rifles up to those fo muskets (I presume these are lower to reflect the longer loading time) once the minie bullet is introduced in the 1850’s

3. Work out the appropriate reduction in melee value for infantry not armed with bayonets

4. Work out the reductions in fire value for troops a. using loose powder rather than cartridges, b. using wooden rather than metal ramrods, and c. using matchlocks.

My own guess is that if these sort of modifications are practicable that the game will work quite well for battles between 1660 and 1860. I.e. the period when most infantry were armed with some sort of muzzle loading firearm . Go back much further and you have to deal with some infantry units where this is not the case and much later and you have to start dealing with the complexities of breach loading artillery and small arms.

Think the 1859 campaign in Northern Italy is ok because while rifled artillery was used this was at the ranges normal for smoothbores as the terrain was not that open.

Finally fear this may be to late but it would be really cool if all the counter art for each of the 22 colours could be located in a single TIFF file and these made selectable by file name so that it would be easy to make up extra counter sets.

Any thoughts?

Ian

(in reply to 1NWCG)
Post #: 5
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 11/27/2005 6:08:38 PM   
Le Tondu

IAN 1963,

Holly Molly Batman. You sure don't ask for small things. I'm just trying to get us all a simple update on the general state of the game.

It is obvious that you want to mod the heck out of the game. Nothing wrong with that, but I am willing to bet that at this time, any period other than the Napoleonic is of the lowest imagineable priority. I'm also willing to bet that getting the game out is tops.

Now, keep in mind that Tim has already addressed modding for other periods and for that, the search function will come in handy.

Anyways, I doubt they would be too forthcoming with much of your requested information if they were going to bring out a game that covered your time periods. Why cut the legs out from under themselves?

Cheers,
Rick

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to IAN 1963)
Post #: 6
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 11/28/2005 4:01:13 AM   
Tim Coakley

Ian,
very valid comments. The game will be moddable as much as possible (basd on the current design).

I think it will work for some other periods, but there are always issues when expanding beyond the designated time frame.

No data to provide right now...I have a test set I use, but the numbers will change when full up play testing starts.

You have an extreme level of detail in the post...these things can be modded with the fire/melee tables, terrain modifiers, individual unit modifiers...but they would still be abstract since the game will never reach the level of detail of determining the units type of ramrod.

I look forward to your feedback once I have some data to present.

Tim

(in reply to IAN 1963)
Post #: 7
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 11/30/2005 3:22:32 PM   
rich

Could be worthwhile factoring in different musket types for the Napoleonic period (let alone for attempting to cover other eras), especially if Napoleon in Egypt or Wellesley in India are likely to be covered, since most of the Turks and Indians probably had matchlocks rather than flintlocks. But this should only affect rate of fire (probably not all that significant) and effectiveness in wet weather (certainly more important!) rather than range.

Rich

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 8
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 12/1/2005 4:12:47 PM   
Tim Coakley

Rich,
the game is set with one type of generic musket...the various types could be modled by changing the unit fire modifier.

If (when) I do another game in the future, I have a plan to allow the level of detail you are looking for, but it wont't be in BPW:BoN.

Tim

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 9
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 12/1/2005 5:59:55 PM   
sol_invictus

IF, IF; BLASPHEMY!

(in reply to Tim Coakley)
Post #: 10
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 12/1/2005 9:30:32 PM   
Ursa MAior

It may be a bit offtopic, but will there be a campaign element (or sort of) included in the game or just fighting very detailed battles?

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 11
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 12/2/2005 2:24:16 AM   
Le Tondu

Ursa MAior,

IIRC, a campaign element is planned if BoN does well. Read more here :

http://www.doubleshotdesign.com/games.htm

Cheers,
Rick

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 12
RE: Say Tim, what are the chances? - 12/2/2005 2:40:11 PM   
Ursa MAior

Thx, next time I'll do my homewrok properly, before asking.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Say Tim, what are the chances? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI