Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nasty bug in 2.3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Nasty bug in 2.3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nasty bug in 2.3 - 7/3/2000 10:31:00 PM   
Dice4Eyes

I haven't seen any reports of these but if they are already known then ignore this thread. During the pre bombardment phase(and sometimes during the game)you can see the enemies troops in the battle map and in the mini map but not your own troops. Sometimes this doesn't happen but most of the time it does, i haven't identified why yet but it could be related to the choosing of human/computer player. Reinforcements are also showing on the map during the pre bombardment phase. In the scenario "No easy place-42" the russian plane takes AA fire from these reinforcements during the pre bombardment phase. (Time travel anyone ) These are reacuring bugs because i have tested it in a couple of scenarios that feature pre game bombardments.Fast arty on or off doesn't seem to affect these bugs, and yes i have deleted steel.prf . I wonder if this might be a side affect of Tom's multiplayer internet code. And now for some small bugs/problems: - Routed infantery loses the number and gets a + in the battle map. Maybe this isn't a bug? - Scen066 "Taking a stand-42" haven't been uppdated in the patches. - The full ammo toogle shouldn't affect offmap arty and aircrafts but it does. - I can't remember, but have the linked campaigns been uppdated? i don't think they have been. ------------------ Ever played chess with death Mvh Daniel E.

Divide et Impera Daniel E
Post #: 1
- 7/6/2000 9:29:00 AM   
Dice4Eyes

I think i have tracked down one off these bugs and maybe the other. The seeing of enemy units bug happens in scenarios that feature a pre-game bombardment. It is caused when the player selects the side he wants to play. The default is Player1=human and Player2=computer. It looks like the game dosn't checks the player's choice until the start of the first turn and therefore uses the default value during pre-game bombardment. The result will be that if you select to play as player2 the bombardment will be displayed from player1 perspective, ergo you see the enemy troops. The same thing happens if you play a scenario as player2, quit that scenario and start a new one. The game will now think you are player2 until the beginning of turn one in the new scenario. This will again cause problems if the new scenario features a pre-game bombardment and you have selected to play as player1. In the first exampel you were player2 but the game thought you were player1 and now the game thinks your player2 when infact you are player1. The bug where reinforcements are present on the map during pre-game bombardments. I think this bug has something to do with the way scenarios are saved. Reinforcements are probebly treated the same way as all the other units in the scenario file, apart from a flag and a turn number. I suspect that the code responsible for handling reinforcements isn't present in the pre-game bombardment routine because there can't be reinforcments untill turn one(? two). And as the code isn't there it can't remove the reinforcements from the map. Am i the only one that has noticed these bugs? And if not could someone else do some small testing to corroborate these findings. I am very unsure on the reason for the reinforcements bug. Thanks in advance.(hint hint nudge nudge he said knowingly.) And yes i'm watching reruns of "Monty Pythons flying Circus" as i'm writing this. ------------------ Ever played chess with death Mvh Daniel E.

(in reply to Dice4Eyes)
Post #: 2
- 7/6/2000 2:35:00 PM   
Voriax

Dice, the bug of seeing enemy troops during the first bombardment is an ancient bug. Been arounds from the SP1. And yep, you figured out when it happens. This is one thing I would also like to go, along with the bug when strafing *enemy* aircraft will reveal enemy positions for the duration of that artillery phase. also you are probably right with the reinforcement thing and why it happens. Now when you mentioned it I remembered seeing those units Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Dice4Eyes)
Post #: 3
- 7/6/2000 4:34:00 PM   
Recon_slith

Looks like some other bugs are still around too. The optics damage effect which drops a tanks fire control to zero carries over into the next battles despite using the fix all button to repair them ( it does not show up on the repair screen of the WW2 Campaign either). I seem to recall that this was reported before somewhere. I believe that having your radio mast shot off results in the same problem though I can't be sure as I didn't note the exact tank and it might be due to failing its radio availability chance. ------------------ Wait for Death. There's a choice? Recon

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to Dice4Eyes)
Post #: 4
- 7/6/2000 5:45:00 PM   
Scarhead

quote:

Originally posted by Dice4Eyes: The same thing happens if you play a scenario as player2, quit that scenario and start a new one. The game will now think you are player2 until the beginning of turn one in the new scenario. This will again cause problems if the new scenario features a pre-game bombardment and you have selected to play as player1. In the first exampel you were player2 but the game thought you were player1 and now the game thinks your player2 when infact you are player1.
Great! Thus you deliver the solution to the problem: Play one turn of any other game as the player you want to be in the "real" scenario before actualy getting started.
quote:

The bug where reinforcements are present on the map during pre-game bombardments. I think this bug has something to do with the way scenarios are saved. Reinforcements are probebly treated the same way as all the other units in the scenario file, apart from a flag and a turn number. I suspect that the code responsible for handling reinforcements isn't present in the pre-game bombardment routine because there can't be reinforcments untill turn one(? two). And as the code isn't there it can't remove the reinforcements from the map.
Old problem. I once reported this to WB while testing his SP3 "Supercharge" scenario. - the whole GE reinforcements were not only available during pre-bombardment but got actually damaged! The scenario designer has to make sure they are deployed on a map edge (no matter where the reinforcement flag is) or off map, and make sure the planes way does not come close to them. For practical purposes, it is often that reinforcements are actually deployed near their reinf hex - just to keep an overview on where they will appear. Scarhead

(in reply to Dice4Eyes)
Post #: 5
- 7/30/2000 7:08:00 AM   
Dice4Eyes

Bump. As reference for thread "Bug in Pre-Bombardment showing Reinforcements". ------------------ Ever played chess with death Mvh Daniel E. [This message has been edited by Dice4Eyes (edited July 29, 2000).]

(in reply to Dice4Eyes)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Nasty bug in 2.3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI