Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Girlfriend vs Wargaming

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Girlfriend vs Wargaming Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 9:30:37 AM   
PimpYourAFV

Sorry if this is a little too straightforward...

Note that the title is not 'Humping vs Wargaming'. Most guys still retain caveman era instincts and would answer without any thought ('as usual' interrupts the GF) that humping wins over wargaming, but this topic involves the whole deal including peripherals like 'quality time' (ie: time spent together but not humping), expensive outings, social events and other activities far less entertaining than sinking ships which most guys suffer through in order to get to the icky stuff.

So its pretty simple. What do you think? Is it worth the time and expense of having a GF who interrupts your fun game with seething sarcastic remarks (I was gonna post some examples but the admins would likely frown on the material) making concentration difficult and painful? Or would you rather become a cynical, antisocial freak who does the bare minimum of real world actions to stay alive long enough to keep playing the game every spare minute of consciousness? People on the fence inbetween who successfully juggle the two issues at the same time are surely too few in number to be considered as a category, perhaps less than 3%.

Is it worth the agony?

Post #: 1
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 1:15:03 PM   
ADavidB

A couple of suggestions for you from someone who has enjoyed the company of a non-gaming wife for 30 years:

1 - Find a girlfriend who accepts that you have hobbies and who doesn't consider those hobbies to be "the other woman"

2 - Make certain that you enjoy that girl's company as much as you enjoy gaming

Remember, you will never get a girl to change, nor will she get you to change, so find someone who matches you and who you match.

Cheers -

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to PimpYourAFV)
Post #: 2
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 1:22:52 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

Or would you rather become a cynical, antisocial freak who does the bare minimum of real world actions to stay alive long enough to keep playing ...

And what is wrong with that. It sort of describes me.

Michael

PS Please don't tell me to get a life. I get that from my sister and mum and niece and ...

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 3
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 2:06:21 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADavidB

A couple of suggestions for you from someone who has enjoyed the company of a non-gaming wife for 30 years:

1 - Find a girlfriend who accepts that you have hobbies and who doesn't consider those hobbies to be "the other woman"

Remember, you will never get a girl to change, nor will she get you to change, so find someone who matches you and who you match.

Cheers -

Dave Baranyi

Sound advice, but unfortunately those women are RARE. I thought I had found a match for me, but then I got replaced by the leader bug...

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 4
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 2:06:40 PM   
Speedysteve

Sound advice Dave.

I'm in the early stages of dating a Turkish girl. Nowhere near the stage of thinking of serious stuff but if it does ever get to that then i'll need to know she accepts my hobbies and me hers!

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 5
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 3:23:52 PM   
skrewball

Or, just get said girlfriend hooked on gaming! I lucked out...I met my girl in Ultima Online. We used to play counter-strike together and others. She understands that I like those "Why do you play that?" strategy games. When she sees I am playing, she'll just go and play Some World of Warcraft.

But you have to compromise. "If you let me finish out the hour, I promise to come and cuddle with you while you watch Sex in the City"

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 6
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 3:56:47 PM   
patrickl

Hi
quote:

ORIGINAL: skrewball

Or, just get said girlfriend hooked on gaming! I lucked out...I met my girl in Ultima Online. We used to play counter-strike together and others. She understands that I like those "Why do you play that?" strategy games. When she sees I am playing, she'll just go and play Some World of Warcraft.

But you have to compromise. "If you let me finish out the hour, I promise to come and cuddle with you while you watch Sex in the City"

My goodness!! You have done it!! Play WITP and have a VERY understanding girlfriend! I wish they have umm Ulitma what? 20 years ago!!

Banner designed by rogueusmc

(in reply to skrewball)
Post #: 7
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 4:03:04 PM   
Nikademus

I think it's worth it.

Some of the comments my GF mark I unit has come up with have all but made me spit out Coca Cola across the room. My favorite one was one of her last ones where she was complaining that there was no action in the game and you couldn't see anything (therefore its boring) I pointed out the animation screen showing a plane element attacking a merchant as "showing the action" and her deadpan response was: "Big deal! you should be able to see men running around jumping off the ship as it explodes!"

(I just had this picture moment of trying to suggest such an "enhancement" to Mike Wood and imagining the funny look on his face followed by a sad shake of the head)

2nd favorite caustic remark is her now famous "Are you going to go online again and argue over what was the proper shape of a Zero's fuel tank?"

Post #: 8
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 4:12:05 PM   
U2

quote:

ORIGINAL: skrewball

I buy all the Sex in the City boxes for my girlfriend

(in reply to skrewball)
Post #: 9
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 4:19:50 PM   
PimpYourAFV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

I think it's worth it.

Some of the comments my GF mark I unit has come up with have all but made me spit out Coca Cola across the room. My favorite one was one of her last ones where she was complaining that there was no action in the game and you couldn't see anything (therefore its boring) I pointed out the animation screen showing a plane element attacking a merchant as "showing the action" and her deadpan response was: "Big deal! you should be able to see men running around jumping off the ship as it explodes!"

(I just had this picture moment of trying to suggest such an "enhancement" to Mike Wood and imagining the funny look on his face followed by a sad shake of the head)

2nd favorite caustic remark is her now famous "Are you going to go online again and argue over what was the proper shape of a Zero's fuel tank?"

Mike Wood's reponse to that request would probably be... "No. Good bye."

How about this sarcastic remark from an ignored woman: "Yo geek! Would you rather sink a torpedo into me or keep torpedoing those fake ships?"

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 10
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 4:32:59 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: TokyoBoyTensai

How about this sarcastic remark from an ignored woman: "Yo geek! Would you rather sink a torpedo into me or keep torpedoing those fake ships?"

At least the AI won't complain about duds...

Post #: 11
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 4:51:03 PM   
Mynok

quote:

nor will she get you to change

But she will spend her every waking moment attempting this.....usually loudly.

WITP at anytime other than after Wife Mk III (same person, two upgrades, go figure) is in bed stands for WAR IN THE PARLOR.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 12
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 5:13:07 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

I thought I had found a match for me, but then I got replaced by the leader bug...

Don't you just hate it when that happens? Admiral LST replaced by WO ABC!

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 13
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 5:16:59 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADavidB

Cheers -

Dave Baranyi

Remember also that you will never get the GAME to change either

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 14
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 5:29:27 PM   
Mattremote

Like Skrewball, I met my GF playing games. It was backgammon - not a computer game, but still a game. She doesn't gripe about WITP, as long as I don't go into marathon sessions and play until 4am. We have "computer free days" now and then. And I make dinner, which helps alot (I'm a better cook than she is). Flowers too, now and then.

And it helps to remember birthdays and anniversaries as well as remembering the Japanese reinforcement dates...

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 15
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 5:44:48 PM   
tanksone

Hi, Nik I think you've made a lot of progress. GF MK1 atleast now knows what a Zero is. I've been lucky in that mt wife Mk1 actually wil come in and watch for a couple of minutes the combat results if something good happens. She's even starting to understand some of the different aircraft, what sucks and whats good

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 16
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 5:48:10 PM   
Mynok

quote:

what sucks and whats good

Man, I fear where some are going to go with that one.......

quote:

GF MK1 atleast now knows what a Zero is.

And according to Speedy she knows what a loser is too.......

< Message edited by Mynok -- 11/4/2005 6:02:01 PM >

(in reply to tanksone)
Post #: 17
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 6:19:28 PM   
Speedysteve

LOL Mynok. Yeah she once told me that Nik is a loser. 5 minutes?!? Kaput.

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 18
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 6:20:14 PM   
Feinder

It's a common event for me to walk into the living room, to find my wife watching "The secret missions Japanese submarines in WW2" or whatever on the History Channel. Definately odd. But I'm not complaining. She doesn't give a whit about computer games, but neither does she critisize me for it.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 19
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 6:24:00 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

I thought I had found a match for me, but then I got replaced by the leader bug...

Don't you just hate it when that happens? Admiral LST replaced by WO ABC!

Chez

I guess he had better stats than me, so she kept him. Hope he's best suited to command a BB (bl00dy b1tch).

But well, that's distant past. I play a different scenario now, called "Admiral LST vs. Wife & Kids" .

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 20
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 6:24:26 PM   
Speedysteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

It's a common event for me to walk into the living room, to find my wife watching "The secret missions Japanese submarines in WW2" or whatever on the History Channel. Definately odd.-F-

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 21
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 7:03:46 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

At least she knows what a Zero is....

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 22
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 7:34:12 PM   
Mynok

quote:

It's a common event for me to walk into the living room, to find my wife watching "The secret missions Japanese submarines in WW2" or whatever on the History Channel. Definately odd.

Same here. Then I started checking what came on before and found it was often "Mating Rituals of Bull Elephants" or "Endangered Impala's and How They are Being Bred".

This led to unfortunate comments by me and the transmogrification of Wife Mk III into Inflamed Gorgon Mk XXX.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 23
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 8:15:04 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

At least she knows what a Zero is....

she also recognizes the geography in the pacific......impressive!

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 24
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 8:17:22 PM   
Mynok

So she likes LargeSlowTarget's sig too!?!?!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 25
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 8:21:56 PM   
Nikademus

eh....that would be....."no"

(and she only viewed Cobra's art thread with disdain...i believe the comment went along the lines of...."these nerds need to get lives")

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 26
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 8:46:51 PM   
Mynok

Just like a woman: every moment of joy tempered with a snide remark.

At least you can take some comfort that she isn't a switch hitter......

Addendum: Of course..if you're into that, you want to order GF, Series D, part # DYKE101.

< Message edited by Mynok -- 11/4/2005 8:49:04 PM >

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 27
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 8:59:25 PM   
Nikademus

its probably not helped by my wearing an army helmut and fatigues while playing Steel Panthers.......

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 28
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 9:05:29 PM   
Mynok

Fashion Nazi!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 29
RE: Girlfriend vs Wargaming - 11/4/2005 9:12:14 PM   
Charbroiled

My Wife V1.2 has been enhanced with Horse V2.3 and seems to keep well occupied as long as I keep updating with Money V150.00.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Girlfriend vs Wargaming Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI