Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you...?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Limited Beta Feedback >> How do you...? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you...? - 11/6/2005 7:09:54 AM   
Grand_Armee

I was in the middle of a TCP/IP game when my ISP failed. How do you restart the game? I couldn't find any button that said "load remote game".

It'll be hard to do a long campaign if you can't restart it.

On the game: I took France, while my opponent to Englalaland. Naomi managed to get all of Europe engage in a war with me and Spain.

We played the 1796 scenario. I repeatedly beat back any Austrian, Russian, and Turkish thrusts. Unfortunately my opponent wasn't able to land an army on the continent before our connection failed.

Prussia, instead of heading for Paris decided to detour for a little land-grab.

Although I have dialup (for a few more months) the game didn't move any slower than tabletop EIA.

France seems hard to beat straight off. Her troop morale is far too high.
Post #: 1
RE: How do you...? - 11/6/2005 7:29:10 AM   
Naomi

I have no idea why my province-management and unit-movement orders repeatedly failed to come across. I re-distributed labour in a given month but some provinces tended to veto my modifications and revert to the old order in the following month. My month-after-month instructions to move never managed to nudge the units, diplomats included. Take as an example a fleet of mine that was grounded in a Swedish port for the better part of a year incessantly defying my series of movement "requests". Finally I had to inch them one province or sea-zone per turn. -,-"

Besides, a sum of 1100 ducats in my coffers vanished in just a month - peeping at the country details yet showed no trace of this lost sum. Mysteries abounded.

Btw, why was I able to witness the battles conducted by my human rival - Grand?

< Message edited by Naomi -- 11/6/2005 8:18:55 AM >

(in reply to Grand_Armee)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you...? - 11/6/2005 1:22:46 PM   
Napi

Were you guys able to play a detailed battle against each other? Without crashes?

You can restart a TCP/IP game from a save. Just restart the scenario with the same countries and once you are at the map then the server needs to reload the saved game. The others will then receive the saved situation a little while later. I suppose it could take some time over the internet. On a LAN it took only a few seconds.

Seeing your opponents detailed battles is an option you can enable or disable.

Best,
Glenn

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you...? - 11/7/2005 8:14:58 AM   
Grand_Armee

Hi Napi,
We only fought quick battles. Well, I should say that I only fought quick battles since Naomi couldn't get his fleets into service, and he didn't have an army he felt like challenging me with before my ISP failed. He did fight a couple of naval battles against my ally Spain.
I think detailed battles online would lead to others twiddling their thumbs and losing interest, so I wouldn't want to do them unless it was a two-person-only game. Having a human opponent really puts a better spin on the game even if he doesn't get to you with troops.
I'm at GMT +10 and Naomi is somewhere about that time, too. If you're a day sleeper, perhaps you'd consider joining us in the wee hours of your late-saturday/early-sunday.

(in reply to Napi)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you...? - 11/8/2005 4:14:07 PM   
ericbabe

See the readme.txt file for detailed instructions on loading a save game in TCP/IP. Basically you just start a new remote game -- things like scenario and victory conditions don't matter. Players pick the nations they want to play in the game. Then once you're in the new game, the server player loads the save game to which you want to restore.

Post #: 5
RE: How do you...? - 11/9/2005 10:16:00 PM   
Napi

Hi Grand_armee,

Detailed battles are what makes this game interesting but that's personnal. Although I admit I haven't really investigated the options in quick battles, the ones I played on auto seem to be more concerned with numbers but again, I'm probably wrong. If you play with two you could consider having one players play Spain and France and the other GB and AU. This way you have a high probability you'll often have quick battles against each other.

An option for the patch or sequel might be that in multi player games, other humans could take over from the AI in detailed combat. This would also make it more interesting.

Thanks for the invitation to join you guys but the time difference is just to large. I'm at GMT+1...

Best and have fun,
Glenn

Post #: 6
RE: How do you...? - 11/10/2005 2:05:18 AM   
Naomi

Seems nobody has ever responded to the raising of my problem about units repeatedly declining to carrying out orders. I thus deem it another of my unique issues. Ah, I can't play COG electronically any more.

(in reply to Napi)
Post #: 7
RE: How do you...? - 11/10/2005 10:46:34 AM   
Grand_Armee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naomi

Seems nobody has ever responded to the raising of my problem about units repeatedly declining to carrying out orders. I thus deem it another of my unique issues. Ah, I can't play COG electronically any more.

How would you play it then? I had a little fleet issue today. It wouldn't move no matter how I tried. Kept getting the pop-up window saying that it couldn't receive any more orders after unloading. EVentually in frustration I tried to move all of it's ships one by one into the other two fleets. Next turn I was able to move the whole thing. Weird....
But for such a revolutionary new game, I expect some quirks to get over.

I have a theory about landlocked ships. I wonder if the AI doesn't try to move them in a straight line to where they are ordered to go despite the lack of water. Since I move everything using the mouse I haven't had any naval problems.

We'll have to try again, Naomi. Still, how will you play if not electronically?

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 8
RE: How do you...? - 11/10/2005 3:47:06 PM   
Naomi

First, electronically = online, as in electronic commerce. ^,^

Second, I suspect the AI was too busy with processing instructions while we were playing a game online. Thus it couldn't get to understand too complicated an order, i.e. an order that involves a sequence of steps, e.g. when I was telling my fleet to move by more than one sea zone and disembark my troops in a port of mine. Finally I got around to it and compromised by moving the fleet one zone per turn - a simplistic yet ineffectual move that no sane person would make even though the AI did stop defying and carry it out. You may have missed another issue I had raised: the AI undid some of my modifications to the provincial management. Hmm... annoying, in a word. ~,~"

Finally, I am sleepy. :p

Post #: 9
RE: How do you...? - 11/11/2005 9:01:48 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naomi

I have no idea why my province-management and unit-movement orders repeatedly failed to come across. I re-distributed labour in a given month but some provinces tended to veto my modifications and revert to the old order in the following month. My month-after-month instructions to move never managed to nudge the units, diplomats included. Take as an example a fleet of mine that was grounded in a Swedish port for the better part of a year incessantly defying my series of movement "requests". Finally I had to inch them one province or sea-zone per turn. -,-"

Besides, a sum of 1100 ducats in my coffers vanished in just a month - peeping at the country details yet showed no trace of this lost sum. Mysteries abounded.

Btw, why was I able to witness the battles conducted by my human rival - Grand?

I haven't seen this sort of failure of orders to come across and I've played many mplayer games in many sorts of configurations. Can you give specific details?

Humans in mplayer games get to observe detailed battles of other players -- it's just slightly more entertaining than watching a screen that says "please wait" for an hour.

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 10
RE: How do you...? - 11/12/2005 8:03:05 AM   
Naomi

Sure.

Grand and I started a year 1796 scenario, with him playing France and me Britain. In the first three months, I sent the Hanoverian corps to Gothenburg; besides, a fleet of mine was ordered to head there to transport it to England. After the fleet was there - and it yet had taken as long as 3 months for it to reach the port from the English Channel - it kept being stranded for at least four months, no matter how I clicked on it and moved it out of there, and regardless of how the weather in the Coast of Zealand fared.

Then I figured out it might be the case that the AI couldn't digest so many steps in a single order; under this order, the fleet should move to the North Sea bordering York and disembark the corps on English soil. So I reduced my order to merely a single step - simply traveling to the North Sea; however, the fleet still defied it. Next, I further trimmed my order to just one sea zone per turn for the fleet, which eventually executed it. ~,~" I consumed a total of nine months for the fleet to carry a corps to my main isle.

Second, about the inertia in my provincial management. I kick-started my economy with cranking out as much food as possible. Half of the year into the scenario, I changed my tack and instructed two of my provinces - Kent and England - to focus on producing textiles. Nonetheless, they reverted to the previous food-oriented order in the next turn. Till my double determination to re-scale the production bars, i.e. to modify two to three times before the new values could really stick and come into play, I put the provinces into line with my policy.

I am pleased that nobody else than I was handicapped this way so the game played online is still a widely enjoyable boon.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Limited Beta Feedback >> How do you...? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI