Game Editor (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great

Iron Duke -> Game Editor (12/3/2005 1:10:44 AM)

Hi,

how many characters are there in the leader name field and unit name field?

Le Tondu -> RE: Game Editor (12/3/2005 3:33:03 AM)

Holy cow. In one of the screenshots, I counted 18 characters were used for "5e Train Principal." I bet that leader names have at least as many. Most likely more.

If there isn't enough space, how about abbreviating?

What names and units are you thinking of?

Cheers,
Rick

Iron Duke -> RE: Game Editor (12/3/2005 1:50:38 PM)

Hi,

Just a general inquiry , usually you get 9-12 characters which i generally find not enough.

Abbreviating will work but why not make the field large enough in the first place.

With the name field is the rank part of it or is there a seperate field for rank?

is the nationality of the unit a seperate field? are the minor nations/principality's covered

unit example
Garde Chevau-Legers of Hessen-Darmstadt [part of 30th Lt Cav Brig,IX Corps August 1812]

cheers

Le Tondu -> RE: Game Editor (12/5/2005 3:17:14 AM)

Then it looks like at least 18 characters might do it.[:)]

A valid concern nonetheless.

[8D]Cool.[8D]

Rick

Ursa MAior -> RE: Game Editor (12/5/2005 11:02:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke
unit example
Garde Chevau-Legers of Hessen-Darmstadt [part of 30th Lt Cav Brig,IX Corps August 1812]

Garde ChevauX-Legers of Hessen-Darmstadt [part of 30th Lt Cav Brig,IX Corps August 1812]

Some historical acuracy please. [:D]

Le Tondu -> RE: Game Editor (12/5/2005 4:42:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

quote:

unit example

Garde ChevauX-Legers of Hessen-Darmstadt [part of 30th Lt Cav Brig,IX Corps August 1812]

Garde Chevaux-Legers of Hessen-Darmstadt [part of 30th Lt Cav Brig,IX Corps August 1812]

Some accurate typing please. [;)][:D][:D][:D]

Iron Duke -> RE: Game Editor (12/5/2005 6:37:22 PM)

Hi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tondu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

quote:

unit example

Garde Chevaux-Legers of Hessen-Darmstadt [part of 30th Lt Cav Brig,IX Corps August 1812]

Some accurate typing please. [;)][:D][:D][:D]

just checked some sources

Digby Smith - Armies of 1812
Rene Chartrand - Napoleonic Wars Napoleon's Army
Philip Haythornthwaite - Napoleons Military Machine
David Johnson - The French Cavalry 1792-1815
Nafziger - Napoleon's Invasion of Russia

all spell it with out the 'x'

so what is the correct spelling ? [&:][&:]

Cheers

Ursa MAior -> RE: Game Editor (12/5/2005 10:45:38 PM)

As far as I know chevaux means (horse) rider, while légére (just to be precise) means light in the sense of not heavy. So basically they are light cavalry similar to hussars.

Believe me they are all wrong. I've never seen a german speaking spanish percectly, as I've never seen an english speaking french correctly.

Check the similarity of the spelling with bordeaux. Both are pronounced with an ó (long o).

Le Tondu -> RE: Game Editor (12/5/2005 11:34:26 PM)

Hmmm. Let's see.

Johnson in Napoleon's Cavalry and its Leaders spells it 3 different ways "Chevauleger", "Chevaux-léger", and he uses the ubiquitous "Light-Horse."
Nafziger in Napoleon's Invasion of Russia spells it Chevauléger. In Napoleon at Dresden, Nafziger spells it "Chevauleger".

The maker of the 3D Napoleonic game under development called Les Grognards (who BTW is naturally French speaking) spells it "Chevauléger" and "Chevau-léger" on the same screenshot! See for yourself:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/les_grog/screenshots/pages/Capture0009.html

Let's not forget that French was the language used by both sides during the Napoleonic Era. Even Wellington spoke it. Each nation probably had their own way of molding the word to their own uses.

I think the correct way is without the "x" that the maker of Les Grognards uses. I hope that helps. [:)]
Cheers,
Rick

Capitaine -> RE: Game Editor (12/6/2005 12:09:02 AM)

I too agree that when the word "chevaux" is combined with another word, with or without a hyphen, the practice seems to be that you drop the "x" on the end. I have seen the term many times in my studies, such as with "Chevau-legers Lanciers" ("Light Horse Lancers"), and typically the "x" is dropped. Perhaps a fluent Frenchman would comment on the common practice?

Ursa MAior -> RE: Game Editor (12/6/2005 9:50:52 AM)

For me the attached link is enough. Chevau-légere without the x.
Check the other text they are also in french.

Waldo_slith -> RE: Game Editor (12/8/2005 3:21:55 AM)

I believe that chevauleger or chevau-leger were both used. They mean "light horse." "Chevaux legers" means "light horses." Interestingly, many of the German States's light horse regiments used the French appelation "chevauleger" instead of the German "leicht pferde."

wp

Rugens -> RE: Game Editor (12/8/2005 6:27:31 AM)

In testing with the editor I've not yet run into a problem having enough space for a clear flavorful description.

Regards,

Carl

Tim Coakley -> RE: Game Editor (12/9/2005 7:35:42 PM)

Top of my head it is 20 characters...should not have any problems.

Tim

Iron Duke -> RE: Game Editor (12/9/2005 9:30:23 PM)

Hi,

Sounds good , thanks for the reply.

1NWCG -> RE: Game Editor (12/19/2005 4:52:24 AM)

Chevau léger lancier is what I got from a Parisian Nappy fanatic.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI