RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

KG Erwin -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (2/14/2006 9:07:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Afrika Korps

[;)]

No worries...I made him work for it, flamethrowers or not.

How do you like your DAK? EXTRA CRISPY! *sizzle* [:@]

Muhaahaahaa-- we watched the "Fantastic Four" movie the other day, and of course, my favorite character is the one with the catchphrase "Flame ON!" [:D]

sabrejack -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (2/15/2006 12:51:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cyanide

Dear Lord, imagine if I tried playing Gunny today. It'd be a massacre.

Basically my tactics involve (and this is in the Western Front, mostly) rushing every single one of my units forward under cover of mortars and hoping for the best.

I'm sure I'll get better . . . eventually.

Try the Depot Academy:

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=9ac8915c4712f201729fcbc27af61068

PimpYourAFV -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (2/18/2006 2:41:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabrejack

I'm glad you guys had such a good time!

There's something about playing against a 'real life person' that makes it all feel so much more 'important' than beating on the AI, isn't there?

[:)]

Then why is so hard to find someone who wants to play? [&:][:(]

KG Erwin -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (2/18/2006 3:17:51 AM)

Tokyo Boy, playing a PBEM requires some negotiation. AK and I were singularly blessed, in that we had a scenario designed just for us.

Having a third party choose the battlefield and forces for a SINGLE battle seems to be the most equitable arrangement.

You want an opponent? I am certain that Viking no 2 would accept the challenge. E-mail him.

neadcb -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (2/18/2006 6:34:09 AM)

Looks like enough smoke for an assault...

They can't shoot what they can't see...

Good job with the DAR and game Gunny and Afrika.

There are always players at the Depot looking for a PBEm match-up. That's how I made Sabre's acquaintance.

Chris
[sm=Cool-049.gif]

PimpYourAFV -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (2/18/2006 12:54:37 PM)

Ya that island fight you did Erwin would be a great map for us all to play.

Nihon Rikugun -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (9/15/2008 8:59:25 AM)

Figure I would bump this up for those to see (wow over two years ago now) the epic battle KG and I had...I reread the whole thread and it got my heart pumping again.  Great writing there, Goblin, I had forgotten how good it was.  Fantastic map, was it ever released?

Kuokkanen -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (9/15/2008 7:29:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Trash talk is most of the fun of a PBEM, lol.[;)]

Heeh! I've had those with my opponents too:

quote:

Korpraali V

Argh! That hurt! Not nice to shoot innocent Greyhounds!

quote:

Matti

Pot blames kettle! You fired at my Schleppers!

E-mail exchange, when my Panzer (IV) rush had killed Korppi's 3 AFV in single turn: 2 armed halftracks, and M8 Greyhound

KG Erwin -> RE: KG Erwin battles Afrika Korp!! PBEM!! (10/14/2008 11:38:53 PM)

Postscript: as I re-read this, two years later, what strikes me is how REAL it all seemed at the time. Since that time the Enhanced version of the game has added quite a bit to the "vs the AI" experience, but it still doesn't replace the unique thrill of playing against a human opponent.

As for the Pacific theater, my experience was derived from reading classic accounts such as Gene Sledge's "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa". Now, we also have the two Iwo Jima movies, showing the battle from both points of view.

This PBEM well-described the viciousness of those USMC-Japanese island battles. Despite the presence of 20th century weapons, it was almost medieval in its cruelty and yes, racial hatred, which was exhibited on both sides.

However, these battles, which stretched across thousands of miles on many god-forsaken islands, also exhibited countless examples of extraordinary courage, on BOTH sides.

Let us never forget what these men endured and sacrificed in serving their countries.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI