CoW to TOAW III change list (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

JAMiAM -> CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 5:00:50 PM)

Gentlefolk,

Here is a snippet of the "readme" that will be shipping with the product. Matrix Games calls this file a "WhatsNew". Thought you might be interested, since one of the questions asked by most everyone is "Are there enough changes for me to buy this game again?" If you read my interview, over at Armchair General magazine, you'll see why I think you should. However, some people just need "more proof"...[;)]

So, without further ado, here it is. Read on...[sm=terms.gif]

Change History:
V1.00 – June ?, 2006 (Initial Release of TOAW III)

TOAW veterans, as well as beginners, should read the TOAW III manual carefully before playing. Many changes exist from The Operational Art of War: Century of Warfare, version 1.04. What follows below, is a partial list:

Revised the manual and help file, to get rid of incorrect data and references going all the way back to TOAW I.

The manual is now on .pdf and is searchable. Also, the manual is more up to date than the Help file at this time.

You now put the scenario bitmap (BMP) in the same directory as the scenario instead of in the graphics directory.

New method of creating BMP files for scenario briefing illustrations, which is described in depth.

Scenario related documents should be put in the same directory as their scenario. A button on the 'Start A New Game' screen will indicate whether a scenario has an associated document. Clicking on this button will load the appropriate reader for the document.

Scenario specific graphics and sound are enabled.

A full description scenario list is included as a start menu item, along with a how-to on creating scenario briefing BMP files, the equipment database, and the manual.

New terrain and GUI graphics incorporated. Classic TOAW terrain graphics are included and can be easily swapped.

Expanded the sound library.

Number of available events allowed doubled to 999.

Number of supply points that may be placed in the scenario editor was raised to 99.

Supply calculation algorithm enhanced to reduce time spent during the Automatic Bookkeeping Phase.

Memory management issues with previous versions of TOAW under Windows XP have been solved. This now allows scenario dumping in the editor that caused previous versions to crash when running Windows XP.

Resource leaks in previous versions of TOAW found and plugged. You can easily more run multiple copies of the program, and editor, without crashing.

French and German are now supported.

There are 3 dlls, English, French and German. If one of these is renamed to 'language.dll' then it will be used for the strings, etc. while playing. You can also rename the DLL to 'Arracourt 44.dll' (for instance) and place it in a sub-folder called Arracourt 44 within the Graphics directory, and it will override the strings in the normal program.

PO logic substantially improved, especially for a PO attacker. PO uses its artillery more effectively. It will seek to both split units, and recombine them, as a situation warrants.

Max Rounds Per Combat feature implemented as a scenario design option, which can dramatically reduce the turn burn from earlier versions of TOAW.

Incorporates an updated anti-armor combat model, Norm Koger's farewell gift to the TOAW engine, which allows for hits to be made against weaker side armor.

Major ferry capacity is no longer required for land units entering an anchorage hex on Major River, or Suez Canal hexes.

Other movement costs have changed slightly, and are noted in the manual.

High Altitude bombers are now subjected to anti-aircraft fire. Equipment which fires at Low Altitude only, also lends a small proportion of its strength to High Altitude fire. AA fire is made "at range” as well, subject to communications checks. You will not see the numbers in the database changed, but all AA attrition rates were increased in the code.

Ships strengths are no longer considered in the unit strength scaling.

Turn used and planned attacks indicators show in the "bolted” display panel and the information panel.

Selected unit supply, proficiency and readiness stats now share the display in the turn info panel.

Numerous additional hotkey commands. See manual for details.

Nuclear release event can now be set from 0-99.

Nuclear effects are properly scaled per hex size.

Replay issues on maps with x>255, y>255 hexes resolved.

PBEM cheating addressed, with warnings to affected players. PBEM loading and saving options changed. No longer able to load in-process PBEM games into the scenario editor.

High supply, No borders, Movies, and SitRep Log options are now available in the Advanced Game Options pane. See manual for details.

Naval units now only reconstitute in deep water hexes.

Low MP unit combat is improved. Zero MP units may now fire without using the entire turn.

You may set Windows file associations for .SAL, .PBL, and .SCE so that TOAW III will automatically start, when these file types are selected to open from any directory. Note, this loads .SCE files into the regular game for playing, and not into the editor for editing.

Adding, or deleting units in the force editor will no longer mess up the events for following units.

Sea-borne units should now work better in going around corners. In CoW, the Attu scenario was broken because the pathfinder couldn't find a path to the final destination.

Database change: F 22 Lightning is now F-22 Raptor

Display problems in CoW for the last lines of OOB's in formation reports, and equipment in the unit report were fixed.

Inoperative Theater Option scroll bar removed. Limit of available TO's is 16. This was true before, but the bar confused everyone.

Inserting an event, should no longer screw up those in the list below it.

Events that activate themselves no longer cause the program to crash.

Entrained, embarked and retreated artillery no longer provides support.

Menus no longer take up 100% CPU cycles.

If you put graphics files into the AltGraphics directory, TOAW III will read from this folder first.

Dropped the Targa format (TGA) for maps, and now using bitmaps (BMP).

Clicking on HQ button toggles between HQ units and artillery units.

You can't use your opponent's fording ability while attacking any more.

Enemy traffic jams no longer impact your ability to attack any more.

Event trigger for starting between turns X and Y was NOT working linearly. There should now be an equal chance for each year.

When splitting or recombining, replacement priority was not held over. It now is.

Fixed a bug allowing mountaineers to cross a Major Escarpment at no additional cost.

Fixed a bug where retreats of an HQ unit did not retreat towards the nearest HQ unit.

Fixed a bug where you got a supply boost by being adjacent to ENEMY HQ units.

Fixed an obscure bug where player 2 got the benefit of player 1's ESS checks.

Hotseat no longer affected by variable initiative, and follows the same order as PBEM.

Several other obscure bugs squashed

Edit: to clean up the text formatting.  It did not come across from the document as nicely as I would have wanted.  That's what you get for rushing it to the screaming masses, in a hurry before heading off to work...[:D]

Boonierat -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 5:12:24 PM)

You kept the old Opart300 limits for map and units? [&:]

Nemo69 -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 5:50:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Change History:

My preferred part: the question mark. [:D]

ioticus -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 6:04:35 PM)

No mention of AI improvements??

JAMiAM -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 6:25:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ioticus

In the TOAW series, the AI is the PO, or Programmed Opponent. Look again, please...[:)]

ioticus -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 6:27:28 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ioticus

In the TOAW series, the AI is the PO, or Programmed Opponent. Look again, please...[:)]

Oh, duh, I forgot about that.

Jo van der Pluym -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 6:46:58 PM)

quote:

Change History:

And is there all a change list and a ETA for the first update V1.1 [:D]

JAMiAM -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 6:51:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jo van der Pluym

quote:

Change History:

And is there all a change list and a ETA for the first update V1.1 [:D]

I can say with all certainty, that it will be after V1.00...[;)]

Vincenzo_Beretta -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 8:33:09 PM)

quote:

I can say with all certainty, that it will be after V1.00...[;)]

This reminds me of that old "Falcon 4" joke:

In a stunning development, Microprose has announced that Falcon 5 will ship six months before Falcon 4. "We knew that the game was late", said a PR person from Microprose "but we didn't knew the situation was that bad". [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Terminus -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 8:38:30 PM)

I assume the game will be available on Direct Download?

JAMiAM -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 8:39:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I assume the game will be available on Direct Download?

Yes.

Dr. Foo -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/1/2006 8:48:34 PM)

Ships strengths are no longer considered in the unit strength scaling.

Thank you, I cannot tell you how many times I got my unit strength just where I wanted it and then I added ships only to see it scale down. This alone is worth the wait!

Awac835 -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 1:50:18 AM)

Question? have there been any improvements to the user interface?
Ive only played the demo of the old TOAW, since by the time i found out about this game all i could get was some korea expansion pack [:(] so im very exicetet about this new relaese. But what i think hampers these old wargames is the lack of updated interface. Just played steel panthers MBT a free modern version of the world at war. It was the same interface as when i played SP2 back when i was little.

The game itself is first class only hamperd by its lack of good UI. i think this is a short comming since many players focus on realism and dispise all eye candy. But its a misconception. Good GUI aint eye candy when it adds ease of play and functionality to the game. Hotkeys, overview etc etc.

sorry for the english not at home and didnt have a dictionary(wordbook?) at hand [;)]

Williamb -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 1:56:06 AM)

Hurry up I want to give you my money.

Is a limited offer That expires by June ? 2006.

golden delicious -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 2:20:33 AM)

quote:

No longer able to load in-process PBEM games into the scenario editor.

I take it this is the case for both .pbm and .sav files? What about PBEM games that have ended?

Quite a few good fixes, more than I was expecting. Thanks.

rhinobones -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 4:00:51 AM)

quote:

Max Rounds Per Combat feature implemented as a scenario design option, which can dramatically reduce the turn burn from earlier versions of TOAW.

Event trigger for starting between turns X and Y was NOT working linearly. There should now be an equal chance for each year.

Really like the 'max rounds' change. This should make a significant difference in design and game play. Kudos to whoever had the idea.

Does the linear event trigger mean that activation of a ranged event is now randomized rather than being front end loaded? Hope so.

Regards, RhinoBones

ralphtricky -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 4:34:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Awac835

Question? have there been any improvements to the user interface?
Ive only played the demo of the old TOAW, since by the time i found out about this game all i could get was some korea expansion pack [:(] so im very exicetet about this new relaese. But what i think hampers these old wargames is the lack of updated interface. Just played steel panthers MBT a free modern version of the world at war. It was the same interface as when i played SP2 back when i was little.

The game itself is first class only hamperd by its lack of good UI. i think this is a short comming since many players focus on realism and dispise all eye candy. But its a misconception. Good GUI aint eye candy when it adds ease of play and functionality to the game. Hotkeys, overview etc etc.

sorry for the english not at home and didnt have a dictionary(wordbook?) at hand [;)]

The UI has changed some, Escape closes most screens, there are a bunch more hot-keys, I've added in some more displays (turn progress, proficiency, etc.)

ralphtricky -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 4:36:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Really like the 'max rounds' change. This should make a significant difference in design and game play. Kudos to whoever had the idea.

Thanks, I like simple solutions, you guys were getting too complicated.
quote:

Does the linear event trigger mean that activation of a ranged event is now randomized rather than being front end loaded? Hope so.

Yes, it should now be random throughout the range, instead of normally triggering on the first turn.
quote:

Regards, RhinoBones

ralphtricky -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 4:40:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

You kept the old Opart300 limits for map and units? [&:]

300x300 and 2000 units per side. I need to rework the code that figures out how to get from point A to point B before expanding the map size, otherwise supply and other calculations will take even longer.[:@]

Legun -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 5:38:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
Yes, it should now be random throughout the range, instead of normally triggering on the first turn.

Good change, but there is a problem with my scenarios. I've adjusted events range according to real distribution of probablity. That means, that if I wanted to have a range of 10, I set the event value of 100. I have to ask on the scenario review forum if it's possible to adjust the values to the new situation.

JAMiAM -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 6:09:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Legun

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

Good change, but there is a problem with my scenarios. I've adjusted events range according to real distribution of probablity. That means, that if I wanted to have a range of 10, I set the event value of 100. I have to ask on the scenario review forum if it's possible to adjust the values to the new situation.

Jarek, at this time, there is not. The release is literally just around the corner, and the scenarios versions are locked in stone. However, your predicament is not going to be an uncommon one. I'm sure that designers are going to want to revisit their scenarios and tweak them to account for the various changes. I don't know exactly how we're going to handle that, at this time, but a preliminary thought is to have the designers send to us their new revisions to be included in the next scheduled patch, as an "official" update. Of course, there are "third-party" methods of disseminating your reworked scenarios, like the various ladder scenario archives, but it would be nice to establish an "official" Matrix-supported method, as well.

WalterJ -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 6:43:28 AM)

Price and delivery date?

JAMiAM -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 6:48:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WalterJ

Price and delivery date?

About 2 to 3 pizzas, depending on toppings and quality, of course. Soon. Very, very soon.[:)]

lok -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/2/2006 7:52:13 PM)

thank you, thank you, thank you. I can not wait. I am already designing scenarios...
Thanks to everyone for their hard work. Hopefully we can live to see TOAW LXXVII with even more improvements...

Erik2 -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/5/2006 7:22:41 PM)

quote:

....I'm sure that designers are going to want to revisit their scenarios and tweak them to account for the various changes. I don't know exactly how we're going to handle that, at this time, but a preliminary thought is to have the designers send to us their new revisions to be included in the next scheduled patch, as an "official" update. Of course, there are "third-party" methods of disseminating your reworked scenarios, like the various ladder scenario archives, but it would be nice to establish an "official" Matrix-supported method, as well.

I second this. I also think there should be an official scenario archive where we can update official scenarios between patches. I know that I'll take advantage from the expanded event-list to update my submissions.

Question, any plans to expand the map-size to 1km/hex in a future update?

Thanks
Erik

BillLottJr -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/5/2006 8:18:18 PM)

>>Number of supply points that may be placed in the scenario editor was raised to 99.

That is fantastic.

Now to apply the "Inch, yard & swimming pool" principal...

Have the number place names been increased?

Motomouse -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/6/2006 12:14:45 AM)

Sometimes I dont like my place over here,

But I get not 2 to 3, but 4 to 5 pizzas over here for a toaw 3 [8D]

Regards
Motomouth

JAMiAM -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/6/2006 12:42:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Motomouse

Sometimes I dont like my place over here,

But I get not 2 to 3, but 4 to 5 pizzas over here for a toaw 3 [8D]

Regards
Motomouth

Just for the record, Domino's does NOT count as pizza...[;)]

Anyhow, thanks for your purchase. I hope you enjoy this a lot longer than even 50 pizzas!

Bon Appétit!

Motomouse -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/6/2006 1:00:08 AM)

quote:

I hope you enjoy this a lot longer than even 50 pizzas!

I am sure about this (looking at the scenarios right now)

And the poor englishmen get even less pizza,
I remember around 15£ a pizza in london, thats one pizza for a toaw 3,
should have joined the euro the poor blokes!

Regards
Motomouse

golden delicious -> RE: CoW to TOAW III change list (6/6/2006 2:03:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Motomouse
And the poor englishmen get even less pizza,
I remember around 15£ a pizza in london, thats one pizza for a toaw 3,
should have joined the euro the poor blokes!

Given how well the European economies are doing....

Anyway, never ever seen a pizza cost as much as £15. I don't touch the stuff if I can avoid it so I don't know what the going rate is, but if you went to a very nice Italian restaurant you might pay nearly £10. But not £15.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI