DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Scenario Design and Modding

VonTommer -> DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/14/2006 3:20:03 AM)

A World War Two database conversion for H3 ANW and previous versions of H3. DB1945V3.7.1 now available. (1-5-2007)

With this modified user database you can model, create or run virtually any scenario from the World War Two period in Harpoon 3. The database features many units from the era and a number of countries are already very well represented. It includes rebuilt database photo annexes as well as text entries to complete the total Mod.
Experience World War Two in Harpoon 3 ANW with DB1945.

You can get DB1945 at the Harpoon Headquarters or by joining the database yahoo group at:

HarpoonHQWW2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

All interested in WW2 and H3 are welcome.

Photograph: Warspite at Normandy

[image]local://upfiles/20750/9F23F53F451743309769F89439EA8A45.jpg[/image]

ClaudeJ -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/30/2006 11:35:25 AM)

Hello,
it sounds interisting, can you post one AAR please?

hermanhum -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/30/2006 11:57:56 AM)

There's only been one scenario and two test scenarios presently published for this DB.  There does not appear to have been any AAR posted for any of them, yet.

DoubleDeuce -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/30/2006 4:46:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VonTommer

A World War Two database conversion for H3 ANW.

Actually, this would be the only incentive for me to get the game. The modern naval stuff just doesn't do it for me. [8D]

mikmykWS -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/30/2006 5:26:17 PM)

Guys leave Von Trommer alone. Guy's just having fun with his hobby and doesn't need a bunch of crap about what you think he should be doing, his scenarios counts etc. etc.

You can find AAR's etc at his yahoogroup

mikmykWS -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/30/2006 5:30:35 PM)

Which would be here:

hermanhum -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/30/2006 10:58:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

Actually, this would be the only incentive for me to get the game. The modern naval stuff just doesn't do it for me. [8D]

Just be aware of the known limitations of the surface gunnery model as described here.

mikmykWS -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/31/2006 12:15:58 AM)

Yeah its a known one. However all things are equal in the game (you can turn on a dime and so can your opponent, likewise all your guns are unmasked as are his). There is also no smokescreens, gunnery model isn't the same as h4 rules and a few other things here and there.  VT and the other guys that dabble in the gun era's are pretty open about all shortcomings and in fact are working together to overcome most of it.  I've noticed some really nice changes and they've got hundreds of platforms of the era. It's not perfect but like it enough to spend my free time with it. Suppose thats a good plug.[:)]

Thanks.

Bucks -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/31/2006 1:00:08 AM)

I would like to join in here with a quick plug for another DB revival. Not long before I left the Harpoon scene some years back I received the final version of a DB from a gentleman who may be familiar to some of you, a fellow Aussie Mike Deegan. Mike had been active around the HULL with his WW2_DB and sent me the database in the hope I could find time to continue with it. At present I am more concerned with a release of a HUD-3, but promise I'll be posting Mike's DB as soon as I make sure it's able to function under H3ANW. He also sent me 6 scens that I'll need to look at to ensure compatibility with the present incarnation of the game. Stay tuned...

Thanks

Darren

The 6 Scens I receieved from Mike in conjunction with the WW2_DB, include:

1. Bandasea.scn
2. Javasea.scn
3. PT-Spree.scn
4. Bis-sea (Bismark Sea).scn
5. Midway.scn
6. Guadalcanal.scn

hermanhum -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/31/2006 1:15:54 AM)

Are these scenarios available at Harpoon Pages?

[image]http://www.harpoonpages.com/images/logo-drwhosm.gif[/image]

Bucks -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/31/2006 1:45:47 AM)

Herman not sure mate, they may be although as far as I know they are available along with the DB Mike sent in a folder on a CD in my "E:\" drive [:D]

Cheers

Darren

take a look files are this size:

1. Bandasea.scn (398KB - Date 3 Jan 2000)
2. Javasea.scn (220KB - Date 3 Jan 2000)
3. PT-Spree.scn (287KB - Date 3 Jan 2000)
4. Bis-sea (Bismark Sea).scn (165KB - Date 3 Jan 2000)
5. 12g-mid.scn(Midway).scn (458KB - Date 17 Nov 1998)
6. Guadalcanal.scn (295KB - Date 27 Nov 1998)

mikmykWS -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/31/2006 2:44:43 AM)

Hey Darren,

Deegan would be Hanging out with VT in that group too and can grab his stuff there. Non political group more worried about having fun with the stuff than being annoying (GET THIS DB HERE AND HERE etc. etc.). Not that I'm advocating that[;)]

hermanhum -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/31/2006 3:04:33 AM)

I looked and they don't appear to be on HarpoonPages.

Could you throw them up on either:

[image]http://img275.echo.cx/img275/3526/szologo47ty.gif[/image]SZO file archives - Home of the Harpoon3 PlayersDB

[image]http://img271.echo.cx/img271/7972/badger0ma.th.jpg[/image]FilesOfScenShare

I am interested in seeing what is in the old files. [8D]

mikmykWS -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/31/2006 3:18:25 AM)

Herman's always good about posting examples ain't he [:D][:D][:D]

Anyways off again as it appears Herman wants his forum back. Cya out there[:)]

hermanhum -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (7/31/2006 11:58:35 PM)

I was digging through the different Databases on:

[image]http://www.harpoonpages.com/images/logo-drwhosm.gif[/image]

Would these 6 files be compatible with the WW2Db posted by Craig Pfaffhausen?

Bucks -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 1:32:47 AM)

No Herman they are separate databases and there was only a short period where Craig and Mike teamed up. I have some scens of Craig's. I believe but there were only ever 2 or 3 I think. I might look at converting those few over to Mike's WW2 DB but again I was just bringing to people's attention some of the "old skool" stuff I have here that might just get brushed off if there was sufficient interest. My main concern at present is trying to find out exactly what's been implemented in H3 versus the H2 I was used to working with and how that will effect my approach to future HUD DB series development.

Thanks

Darren

VonTommer -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 2:31:35 AM)

Hello Jan Masterson,

Editing up this reply:

Discussions on modeling can be found in the posting area of the WW2 Yahoo group. Good postings in the archive on surface gunnery and the like. All subjects.

Mike Deegan is a moderator and valued member at the HQWW2 yahoo group. His WW2 or AOS database sits alongside DB1945 there. We are looking forward as he advances ahead on it. AOS has alot pre-war and WW1 units including his newest WW1 aircraft. Not to mention his WW2 model which is very progressive and groundbreaking in many ways. Mike helped get some of DB1945's problems ironed out. He is always a good source of data too, Mike knows his stuff.

Craig Pfaffhausen's excellent WW2 database was around in the early days. Craig is also one of the original contributors and still partner to DB1945, albiet a silent one. Craig has been working on other projects. He allowed us the great privledge of "rolling in" his data into DB1945. Craig is essentially one of the co-authors of DB1945. I do not think he has picked up his old WW2 DB in awhile. Craig knows his stuff and is smarter than me in most cases. Just like Dale Hillier, another invaluable asset to us. We consider Dale to be the boss. Craig and Dale helped us work out key modeling issues. Yes, we have had alot of help! Mike Mykmyk, Ragnar, Dimitris.....alot of people.

Following seas ladies!

Tom

Bucks -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 2:38:14 AM)

fantastic one less issue to worry about...  [:)]

hermanhum -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 2:46:26 AM)

I'd be very interested in learning how the gunnery issue of AAA vs. very high targets is handled in DB1945. 

As most H3 players know, guns are currently able to shoot down targets at all altitudes.  Therefore, the smallest 7.62mm machine gun is capable of shooting down satellites (if the DB editor has made that weapon able to engage aircraft).

How does DB1945 resolve / manage this so that small calibre guns do not shoot down high-flying B-17s, B-29s, and B-24s?

ClaudeJ -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 3:20:33 AM)

Thank you all for your interisting answers.

Ps: VonTommer, Belgium is fine actually and, AFAIK, no big problem actually. Anyway, thank for your particulary interisting answer.

VonTommer -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 3:30:57 AM)

I have removed the discussion on altitude bands to minimize space in this thread.

Sometimes all this technical talk just ruins the mystery, enjoy the game first.

Tom

hermanhum -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 4:03:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VonTommer

For DB1945 we use very low POK values, as low as 1% for light machine guns.

Were you guys able to get it to 1% consistently?

ISTR trying to make a weapon and I was testing to see just how low the PoK I could get it. It was a long time ago, but I thought that the game automatically gave it a minimum PoK of %5 and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it any lower than 5%.

I read through the AALogs and saw that the engagement parameters always ended up with a minimal PoK of 5% even though the counter-measures, DATA, and other modifiers would seem to indicate that the PoK should have been closer to zero.

Was I mistaken in some of this?

mikmykWS -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 4:09:05 AM)

Stop giving VT a hard time and move forward.If you maintained a db for any amount of time I think you know the answer to your own question. Really wish you'd become more of a team player.

VonTommer -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 4:40:26 AM)

Editing some of this discussion on POK and AAA.

We are teaching scenario designers to model loss rates that they need through numbers of AAA mounts used, placement or by design instead of leaving it to chance. It is easy to "overload" any air defense in H3 and easy to put enough material on the ground to obliterate any air strike. You should test your scenario air defenses to make sure they are reasonable against what makes sense or is historically accurate. You cannot usually get there by chance. (In any Database)

Learn more about WW2 scenario construction at the Yahoo group or the HQ.

Thanks buddy, See ya Herman, see ya guys gotta go.

Tom

VonTommer -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 4:48:34 AM)

Nice to make your aquaintance.

Talk again sometime.

Tom

Bucks -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 4:54:52 AM)

Tom it's been good to make your's. You even have 2 new member apps at the group mate Ed Ladner and myself looking forward to catching up with Craig and Mike again soon.

Cheers

Darren

mikmykWS -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 4:57:50 AM)

quote:

Thanks buddy

Tom

No problem and keep up the good work.Expect some scenarios soon[:)]

Bucks -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/1/2006 5:00:37 AM)

I can't wait to convince Tom, Mike and Craig to take Mik, Ed and myself on in a slugfest in DB1945 ANW-MP  LOL!!!

VistaJohn1 -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/10/2006 8:41:42 AM)

Hello VonTommer

I Used the DB1945 with the earlier H3 to do a couple of senarios in the Solomons. Found a couple of reports of the action with ship, commanders, and admirals for the landings and Savo Island battles. I had a great deal of fun with the DB. Now I can say thank you for yours and others work. By the by, the US Navy still list ships names (and date of loss, if appropriate for WWII ships). Your DB is very complete, even to the fact that some names for ships lost were recycled and fought again (and some were lost again). On the CV's this was to confuse the Japanese (The Essex Hornet, Yorktown, ect). I Lost the whole thing with a hard drive crash that was not backed up! Will have to get the DB again and get back to work. I still have the research, so can do it again much quicker. The radar guns were deadly on some of the DD's.

Anyway, thanks for the DB

John

VonTommer -> RE: DB1945 A World War Two Database for H3 (8/17/2006 8:19:29 PM)

Thanks to all you guys. I am actually the database's biggest critic and it is good to hear people are having good experiences with it. Sometimes I am too close to the project for proper perspective. I always enjoy any criticism esp. if it is good!

Thanks Vista John! Thanks guys!

Tom (Matrix Recruit and the WW2 guy.)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI