RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

pmelheck1 -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/21/2006 8:48:16 PM)

I also have a copy of WITP but it's not all their thanks to kids.  I remember the magnets for wall mounting games.  I remember one type that had a cover you slipped the counter in to, it allowed counters to flip and to stack.  With counter stacks however I always thought using a numbered counter i made and a zip lock bag with the same number to hold the stack easier (didn't get knocked over).

Mynok -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/21/2006 8:50:21 PM)

Ziplocs for stacks is a good idea. Beats those "pool sheets" that cats love to sleep on and swish their tails over.

Jim D Burns -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/21/2006 10:25:21 PM)

I think wall mounting this game is the only real option for playing it. Even if you spread it out over two giant pieces of plywood resting on sawhorses (something my group tried) to form a huge table, it’s nearly impossible to reach the center of the map unless you’re 6’6” like me. And you can forget hovering over that area to study the big picture.

Wall mounting allows easy access to the entire map and if you just want to ponder your options simply pull up a chair and pop open a beer and you can stare away all night long without straining your neck/back in the attempt.

For those interested in what they are, here’s a scan of some of my counter-magnets. I’ve shown the front and back of my boxes and a stack of the magnets contained inside. They come 80 in a box and you can find them online by doing a Google search for counter magnets. I only have 2000, so I’ll probably be buying more if I find an opponent some day.

[image]local://upfiles/5815/6F6A6E0DBAE24ED69951123F65A1F26C.jpg[/image]

This particular company appears to be out of business as a Google search lead me to some dead links, but most Hobby stores should have them or have access to a supplier.

Jim

witpqs -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/21/2006 10:33:03 PM)

A couple of thoughts occur to me (one serious, one less so).

I recommend you photocopy (or scan) the counter sheets before you break them apart. That way if/when any individual counters are lost you will have the correct unit values available.

Jim, regarding studying that huge map layed on a 40ft x 100ft table (or whatever), try setting up a pully system on the ceiling and get harnesses for the players. That way you can 'hang out' studying the map all day! [:D][:D][:D]

Seriously, hope you enjoy the game. Sounds like a blast.

Jim D Burns -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/21/2006 10:37:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Jim, regarding studying that huge map layed on a 40ft x 100ft table (or whatever), try setting up a pully system on the ceiling and get harnesses for the players. That way you can 'hang out' studying the map all day! [:D][:D][:D]

LOL great idea... that is until my pully breaks and I go crashing down right through the game map. [:D][:D][:D]

Jim

Mike Solli -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/21/2006 10:40:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I recommend you photocopy (or scan) the counter sheets before you break them apart. That way if/when any individual counters are lost you will have the correct unit values available.

I'm scanning the counters as I type. (I took a day off of work pretty much to scan as much as possible of the game.) [:D]

mogami -> How to play (9/21/2006 11:06:25 PM)

Hi, Here is how you actually play this game.
Step one. Form the teams
Step two. rent a house
Step three. Tell your wives or girlfriends you work for C.I.A. and you have been assigned to hunt for Osma in Afganistan for 6 months.
Step four. arrange with local beer distributor and pizza parlor for supplies

Nikademus -> RE: How to play (9/21/2006 11:17:51 PM)

and get a marriage councillor on standby

Terminus -> RE: How to play (9/21/2006 11:22:33 PM)

And a divorce lawyer on speed dial.

Monter_Trismegistos -> RE: How to play (9/21/2006 11:31:14 PM)

And those counter magnets are meant to be attached to definetely non-magnetic wall?

Terminus -> RE: How to play (9/21/2006 11:32:38 PM)

Hence, the sheet metal to mount on the wall.

ckk -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/22/2006 12:20:24 AM)

Those are the magnets I used for the SPI game. They stack pretty high 5 plus and stay on the map even when vertical.

ckk -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 12:25:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

And a divorce lawyer on speed dial.

I'm living proof of that[:D][:D][:D]

Miller -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 12:39:30 AM)

Who needs women when you have beer and games like this that take 20 years to complete[;)]

ckk -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 12:50:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Who needs women when you have beer and games like this that take 20 years to complete[;)]

Actually as I recall it took 100- 150 hrs to set up and 500 hrs to play, solitaire of course[;)] Played mostly as Allies with the Japanese playing a very historical script with and without a Coral Sea, Midway and or a Guadacanal

Jim D Burns -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 1:49:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

And those counter magnets are meant to be attached to definetely non-magnetic wall?

They are attracted to sheet metal behind the game maps. There are several options, you can mount the sheet metal directly to your wall, but the metal is heavy so necessitates heavy mounting bolts placed into your wall. You can simply lean the sheet metal against the wall, but the metal tends to bend due to its weight so it sometimes causes trouble when you use this option.

Probably the best solution is to mount your sheet metal onto plywood boards to give the metal some backbone so it won’t bend when you lean it against the wall. Also the plywood mounted sheet metal allows you to move the game surface out of the way when not playing to keep kids and pets from sweeping away the magnets. (Kids LOVE to mess with the magnets)

The key here is to carefully mount the maps so when you put the two 4’x 8’ plywood boards side by side, the hex rows line up well. After that the game map is pretty mobile when you consider its size.

Jim

witpqs -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 2:51:38 AM)

I think you should just take out a long term lease on the Astrodome and go with the overhead pully system. [:D]

Terminus -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 8:15:41 AM)

Wheeeee!!![:D]

Grotius -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 9:24:04 AM)

Hmm, do hobby stores also carry the requisite sheet metal?

I'm still not sure where to set this thing up. I actually have more horizontal space than vertical, because my game room is in a spacious attic that has very short walls and then dormers that angle in. I suppose I could sorta lean the maps against a dormer, using the plywood backing that Jim suggests.

Has anyone actually started *playing* yet? [:'(]

dtravel -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/22/2006 4:39:14 PM)

Some places used to sell these long flexible strip magnets.  IIRC the recommendation was to buy those, cut them down to counter-size and glue them to the back of the counters.  (Not sure what you were supposed to do about double-sided counters.)

Mike Solli -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 6:08:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I'm still not sure where to set this thing up. I actually have more horizontal space than vertical, because my game room is in a spacious attic that has very short walls and then dormers that angle in. I suppose I could sorta lean the maps against a dormer, using the plywood backing that Jim suggests.

Has anyone actually started *playing* yet? [:'(]

You gotta be kidding. 9000 counters take awhile to cut out (assuming you want to take the time and not just punch them out - shudder). [:D]

Mike Solli -> RE: OT-Decision Games WitP (9/22/2006 6:08:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

Some places used to sell these long flexible strip magnets.  IIRC the recommendation was to buy those, cut them down to counter-size and glue them to the back of the counters.  (Not sure what you were supposed to do about double-sided counters.)

I can't even highlight a book and you want me to do that! [X(]

witpqs -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 10:01:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Home Depot, I suppose? Failing that find a metal shop (Yellow Pages).

quote:

If you have room in that attic, you could set up the plywood & metal vertically in the middle of the room (build legs or fix it to the ceiling and floor). Then, use both sides of it - strategic map on one side, smaller maps, tables, etc. on the other side.

Just an idea.

Mike Solli -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 10:17:02 PM)

Just for your info, there is more electronic stuff for WitP:

Rule Book 1 (old)
Marcus Island map (such that it is) (new)
Errata (new)

http://www.decisiongames.com/html/erules.html

Nikademus -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 10:18:48 PM)

just setting up a medium sized engagement of StarFleet Battles took a whole room. This game......aiee.

Mike Solli -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 10:20:52 PM)

Yeah, and I can't wait. [:D]

Nikademus -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 10:32:09 PM)

"You must have sand for Brains to take this monster on...... " [:D]

-Gaara

Mike Solli -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 10:36:12 PM)

Worse has been said. [;)][:D]

Nikademus -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 10:40:20 PM)

"You'll loose counters like Rroberson looses carriers"

[:D]

DISCLAIMER....APOLOGIES TO PEOPLE WHO DESPISE INTERNET SILLYNESS. INTERNET SILLINESS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER.

(we now return you to your regularily scheduled relevent thread)

Kwik E Mart -> RE: How to play (9/22/2006 10:52:23 PM)

i see the avg bonus is alive and well...where's the zero bonus?!?!?!?!?!?! [:-][&:][;)]

[image]local://upfiles/13152/D539FB037E0E47B3BE45723941AB04DF.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI