Changing the scale (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design

argaur -> Changing the scale (9/14/2006 5:40:02 PM)

Is possible to change the scale of the map?

Terminus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 5:46:14 PM)

No.

Nikademus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 5:46:56 PM)

Not outside of a small programming change.

Sardaukar -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 5:48:11 PM)

It was hard-coded max number of hexes a TF can move in phase or day, I think. That'd make changing scale difficult..or futile.

Nikademus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 6:03:29 PM)

Its not difficult from what i've been told, but it 'does' require a programmer to go in and make the adjustments. A person can't do it using the editor and altering the map like Andrew or Subchaser has done.

Terminus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 6:05:18 PM)

Like I said, "no".

argaur -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 6:19:16 PM)

if i want to do for example a map of the mediterranean sea, as tow times Australia, how it would affect the game? The speed of the ships reduced in a half... the airplanes depends on its real endure... and the rest? thanks in advance, i´m a real newbie in this [:)]

Nikademus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 6:24:58 PM)

well you could create the map and rework the game data to point to the new bases but the scale would remain the same and it would probably screw the AI which has hardcoded objectives.

argaur -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 6:36:32 PM)

well, the AI is not problem, it would be for PEBM. Can the roads and the railroads be changed in the editor (or they are also modeled in the programming)?and the terrain?

Nikademus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 6:42:53 PM)

no, that has to be changed in the map data. Andrew Brown is a good source to ask as he created his own WitP Map. Its a bit of work but can be done.

argaur -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 7:04:01 PM)

thanks! i will ask him

jwilkerson -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 8:36:16 PM)

BTW it has been attempted (unsuccessfully) before (the Med) ... at that point it was suggested that trying to do it with UV game might be easier ... another issue is hardcoded weather areas ... you will still get monsoons and blizzards on portions of the map ...

UV is already 30 mile hex ... so you start out further down the path ...

timtom -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 9:33:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
You will still get monsoons and blizzards on portions of the map ...

Monsoons? Really? News to me!

argaur -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 9:49:33 PM)

where can i see the predominant weather of each map zone? Some of the India climate is like mediterranean sea

el cid again -> RE: Changing the scale (9/14/2006 11:55:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

No.

Since Terminus likes to be blunt and impolite at the same time - and was only today to me - I
will take this opportunity to point out he is wrong. The answer is "yes."

Further, while I am 99% certain the scale will be changed for WITPII (to 30 miles per hex - and
I hope NAUTICAL miles rather than statute - making ship speeds and ranges sensible)

you can do this in WITP I RIGHT NOW.

What you are limited to is 148 x 148 hexes on your map - so if scale goes up the area goes down.

Also - you need to look at your data. IF you want things to work - you need to make sure you program
speeds and ranges so the PRESENT code will get the right number of hexes. A lot of work - but the only
big problem is land units - and that is so slow it doesn't matter very much. Everything in a game involves
compromises - nothing more than map scale - so this is just SOP that there is a side effect/trade off.

Note Joe Wilkerson and I passionately advocated Andrew change the scale for CHS - and RHS may indeed do
just that - converting from statute miles to nautical miles - for accuracy sake. It is a lot of work on the data
entry side - and no one has done it yet. But it is fully feasible - and note Joe is a mathmetician and programmer.
It is not too hard to do the data in a spreadsheet.

CobraAus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 12:35:01 AM)

quote:

BTW it has been attempted (unsuccessfully) before (the Med) ... at that point it was suggested that trying to do it with UV game might be easier ... another issue is hardcoded weather areas ... you will still get monsoons and blizzards on portions of the map ...

Who tried that I remember seeing a lot of map work done if that was still available it would be a start point for you as well

Cobra Aus

Monter_Trismegistos -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 12:41:13 AM)

The answer is yes. You can change scale of the map. But only in one direction :) There is absolutely no problem with creating map with 1 hex = 120 miles [:D]

Bodhi -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 2:32:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

UV is already 30 mile hex ... so you start out further down the path ...

So, after six months on the WitP team, development of WitP II is already well underway with 30 mile hexs, and you don't want to deter anyone from doing the groundwork for a Med add-on. [:D]

Buck Beach -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 4:24:41 AM)

Whoa, WITP II development is underway? First I have heard of this and where do I send my money. I want it!!!

VSWG -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 11:35:36 AM)

Hold your horses, Buck Beach, Bodhi made a joke. [:)]

JeffroK -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 12:42:15 PM)

Ground movement would be up the spout, you could change Aircraft & Ship movement  but can you change the LCU's?

argaur -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 1:03:31 PM)

is there a limit on the hexes that a task force can move? for example, i i put a ship 50 knots... is going to move---x hexes?

the ground movement i think it can be changed if doing a map... and you work on PWHEX puting a forest hex as a clear for example (but in the map showing it as a forest), or playing with trails, roads an railways...

VSWG -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 1:26:21 PM)

quote:

6.1.7 Task Force Speed
Every TF has a calculated Maximum TF Speed and a Cruising TF Speed. The Maximum TF
Speed is the maximum number of hexes the TF may move during a movement resolution phase,
if it is attempting to move at maximum speed. There are only a few situations where a ship will
move at maximum speed, as ships generally move at their cruising speed to minimize fuel usage
and operational damage. These speeds are calculated by taking the appropriate speed of the
slowest ship in the TF. The TF speed in hexes is equal to the slowest ship’s speed in knots
divided by 5, and is rounded up or down based on the computer’s calculations. Regardless of how
fast it is, no TF may move more than 6 hexes per turn.

el cid again -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 2:25:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Ground movement would be up the spout, you could change Aircraft & Ship movement  but can you change the LCU's?

Well, no. But it is near stationary compared to ships and planes as it is. It is also rather arbitrary - and must be - whatever the quality of your assumptions. The map is vast - and to cover this area with a SINGLE movement rate for land units is a bit of a stretch. If you move to fewer miles per hex, you get de facto slower land units. But movement in much of this area is pretty awful. In Jungle Warfare School I was taught you can move from 200 yards to 2 miles in the daylight portion of a day - and not at all at night. Both rates are well below our off road rates. In other places the terrain is forbidding but not jungle. What matters is you can move faster on roads, etc. This would still be true.

Now small changes would be wholly practical in either direction. Large changes are problematical in any case.
A large change in my view can only be made in the opposite direction stated above: downward to 30 nautical miles per hex (which is not quite half scale - it is 15% bigger than that). Going the other way makes plane ranges and ship sprints darn near meaningless in many cases.

JeffroK -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 3:38:39 PM)

We must have gone to a different Jungle Warfare School!! Canungra was such a pretty place to play at war!!

Movement at night, while not done at speed, was a neccesary tactic to use.

I agree that land movement in WITP has little variety, an Armoured Brigade seems to move as quickly as a Chinese Infantry corps, taking away an advantage from the Motorised Unit.

Nikademus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 4:14:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

Whoa, WITP II development is underway? First I have heard of this and where do I send my money. I want it!!!

Send check or money order to;

Matrix
c/o Nik
PO BOX 9999
Switzerland.

Buck Beach -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 4:29:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

Send check or money order to;

Matrix
c/o Nik
PO BOX 9999
Switzerland.

The check is in the mail. I have left the amount open for you to fill out as you didn't mention the price.

Buck Beach -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 4:32:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

Hold your horses, Buck Beach, Bodhi made a joke. [:)]

I don't understand. I just sent a check to Nick in Switzerland for it.

Nikademus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 4:39:34 PM)

but did you send the right amount? [:D]

Terminus -> RE: Changing the scale (9/15/2006 5:02:33 PM)

Don't send Nik any money. He's perpetrating another variation of the Nigerian Banking Scheme. In his case, it's the Nikgerian Banking Scheme...

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI