RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/4/2007 12:02:42 AM)

Situation map from 2/18/42

[image]local://upfiles/18646/E303F585041D44B58394D99C0FAF1812.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/4/2007 12:06:20 AM)

For the moment.... keep in mind the location and heading of CV Kaga and Soryu. This all may be concidence but somehow I doubt it - the map below describes what they are going after and how the IJN found they were there.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/2A4077CC74594DAAAEFC4BED666150AD.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/4/2007 12:39:37 AM)

Which brings me to this issue..... Once upon a time the Southeast Pacific consisted of thousands and thousands of square miles of empty ocean. Now it is no wider than the English Channel - every ship from Baja to Buenos Aires that's crossing the Pacific passes through this one hex wide shipping channel. And it takes only one Jap submarine to spot them all. Is this easy or what???

In all fairness, Pillager and I did not include any considerations for this in our PBEM house rules.

I did take the matter up in another string (CHS questions), this being the first part of a conversation between myself and AB. I was responding to a statement by AB indicating there was no need for house rules on the shipping lanes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is what I posted... I'll let AB speak for himself (refer to the CHS questions string)

Do have one comment about the Aden & Panama City sea tracks. I'm currently in a PBEM with Jolly Pillager (scenario 158 extended map) now in Feb, 1942. We don't have any house rules in our PBEM concerning the sea tracks to Aden or Panama City, these are open to IJN entry. So far in our PBEM, Pillager has only sent submarines into the tracks. Which leads to my point....

With Canton and Baker I. under Japanese control, and Pillager beginning a move on Pago Pago, the only (at least semi-)secure sea route of communications remaining between the U.S. and Australia/New Zealand is through the sea tracks going southward from Panama City. Any other route being highly vulnerable to Japanese LBA and the KB (neither of which the Allies have any effective countermeasures to mount against them in the game as of 2/42). Makes perfect sense to shift my transport routes farther south into the Pacific in response to this situation.

BUT... Instead of thousands (upon thousands) of square miles of open ocean in the Southern Pacific, I have a one-hex (60 mile) wide sea channel not much wider than the English Channel in which Pillager continuously keeps one or more Japanese submarine(s) on station - and I can hardly fault him for taking advantage of the opportunity. While the Jap submarines do not inflict any serious losses on my shipping, they do provide Pillager with a 100% probability of detecting every ship, TF, or convoy I send out of Panama City. It is only a matter of time before the Japanese "clamp a zone of control" on both southern exits of the sea channel ftom Panama City using the KB or a Japanese surface combat TF. This basically ends any non-suicidal sea communication from the U.S. to Australia/NZ.

For a PBEM, I would strongly recommend two house rules regarding the sea lanes to Aden and Panama City. (1) Prohibit IJN movement into the sea channels. (2) Establish a (2-3 hex radius) zone around each exit from the sea channels that is also prohibited to IJN activity.

While these house rules would not prevent the IJN from blockading sea routes from Aden or Panama City, they would require the Japanese player to expend a little more effort. Without any house rules, it is too easy for the Japanese.

As for my own PBEM with Pillager, we have the house rules set and I'll have to live with them somehow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure at this point what consequence this will have on the outcome of my PBEM, though I expect it to be substantial if not decisive. My projection is that Australia and NZ will eventually be on their own with no major reinforcements arriving from the U.S. I may be able to slip individual ships through but not convoys of any size. Although if I can keep Pillager engaged down there, a central or northern long-term strategy could end up being feasible come '43 or '44. Of course, destroying most or all of the KB solves the problem too, though that is a long way off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not getting into sour grapes, BUT. Other than completely giving up Australia, NZ, and the South Pacific as there is no longer a non-suicidal route for shipping from the U.S. .... It is one thing for the IJN to interdict my shipping routes, doing it with a 100% probability of detecting every allied ship, convoy, or TF with a single SS over what is supposed to be thousands of miles of open water is kinda stretching it.

For the moment I'm gonna have to play on and try to dodge the KB as best as possible, it's too late to abort these ships and as many of them as possible will have to go somewhere.

Beyond that, how feasible is it to change house rules in mid-stream? Before or after he sinks everything? Not sure exactly how to approach this. Any advice is welcome.

This is a considerable advantage to the Japanese that has no basis IRL and has a very considerable impact in the overall outcome of the game.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/8/2007 4:58:04 AM)

Summary of Operations 2/19 - 2/20/42

India: Still "setting up shop". Areas that I am placing emphasis on for defending India are (1) the eastern border with Burma, (2) ports and bases along the eastern coast of India, (3) Ceylon including both Colombo and Trincomalee.

At this point, ships in port have been moved from ports on the eastern coast of India (Madras, Diamond Harbor, Calcutta) and re-based in Aden or along the west coast of India. Ship movements in the Bay of Bengal are at a minimum, most travel into eastern India being done overland to the greatest extent possible. The Bay of Bengal is basically a cul-de-sac, especially with the "reef hexside" blocking the strait between Ceylon and the Indian mainland, relatively easy for the IJN to trap ships against the Indian east coast.

Defensive preparations on Ceylon progressing well. Bases along the eastern coast of India are garrisoned in at least brigade strength (more where possible and feasible to do so). Naval search air squadrons (Hudsons) are based to detect Japanese sea movements approaching Ceylon or southern India.

Still moving LCU and aircraft from Aden to the Indian mainland and Ceylon. Looks like there are pretty good RAF base units that can support a very substantial number of aircraft and a network of air bases - getting as many of these as possible onto the Indian mainland.

Burma: Taung Gyi quietly fell to the Japanese on 2/19 - have no idea as to what Japanese LCU moved into there, but next stop for them is probably Lashio. I have some of the (Southeast Asia) Chinese divisions already in Lashio, with their communications back into China secured as well. A Chinese Il-4 bomber squadron is now based at Kunming and flying recon missions into Japanese occupied areas of Burma. Il-4 range is good enough to cover almost all of Burma, much of Siam and northern Indochina - these planes are more valuable assets for recon than using them as bombers.

China: Front lines mostly static at this time - Japanese bombardments at a number of places but no major offensive activity.

DEI: Japanese landing at Merak (Java) on 2/20 - identity of Jap LCU(s) not known.

Australia: Elements of USAFFE HQ evacuated from Bataan arrived at Darwin. ANZAC HQ along with air base LCU's still enroute to NW Australia to better draw supply into that area and build up of air bases to oppose Japanese activity there. Otherwise, "housekeeping" activities continue.

South Pacific: Convoys from Panama City are still enroute - movement of convoys changed to avoid possible KB task force (Kaga and Soryu) detected on 2/18 moving SE from Pago Pago. I have no way of confirming the KB is or is not moving on this course, but must assume the KB is still on this course until I can otherwise confirmed the KB is on a different course or left the area. I'm gonna have to look at how to better manage the SE corner of the map - establish small bases at Papaete, Rarotonga, Penhryn Is, Tongatapu with capabilty to at least do naval air search (PBY & Do-24). AV and AVD with adequate logistical support would work well here too.

Eastern Pacific and U.S. West Coast: U.S. 161 RCT now fully disembarked on Palmyra. A small convoy from Pearl Harbor transporting engineers (804th EAB) and supply is enroute to Christmas Island to start a build up of that base.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/15/2007 5:06:37 AM)

Summary of Operations 2/21 - 2/23/42

China: Most sectors relatively quiet. No major Japanese ground attacks.

India: Construction to expand airfields at inland bases in NE India (Patna, Asansol, Rangpur) progressing well. British aircraft and base units have been arriving through Bombay and moving overland to occupy the new bases.

Burma (see situation map below): Little or no visible Japanese activity in most sectors other than air attacks on Rangoon and Mandalay.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/4E42600427B5423D917EFA95C0E25DAB.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/15/2007 5:47:05 AM)

Philippines: Japanese air and ground bombardment attacks continue at Bataan and Cagayan - otherwise no detected Japanese activity.

DEI: (situation map of Java below)

Japanese Guards (2nd) Division continues advancing towards western end of Sumatra - Kuala captured on 2/21.

The majority of Japanese ground units now in Java and Sumatra have been brought in from Singapore where they were engaged vs British forces in Malaya - including Guards Division (western Sumatra); 2nd, 5th, and 18th Division on Java along with many smaller LCU (artillery, engineer, NLF). Of the Japanese divisions participating in the capture of Singapore, only the 4th Division remains unaccounted for.

Japanese landing at Bali on 2/23 - AAR as follows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Bali

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 526 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11
Sasebo 3 SNLF
Defending force 1950 troops, 11 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55
Bali Detachment

Japanese landing at Merak (western Java) on 2/21 - AAR as follows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Merak
Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 9477 troops, 31 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 533
5th Infantry Division, 4 Mixed Rgt, 17 Hvy FA Rgt, 10 Mountain Gun Rgt

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese max assault: 408 - adjusted assault: 818
Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 1
Japanese assault odds: 818 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Merak base !!!

Elements of Japanese army on Java breaks out from their beachhead at Kragen - AAR follows

Ground combat at Madioen

Attacking force 25897 troops, 248 guns, 46 vehicles, Assault Value = 527
2nd Infantry Division; 2,6 &14 Tank Rgts; 3,5,& 14 Mortar Bns, 3 & 18 Heavy FA Rgts,
3 & 10 Mountain Gun Rgts
Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese max assault: 390 - adjusted assault: 372
Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 1
Japanese assault odds: 372 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Madioen base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Brewster 339D: 5 destroyed
Martin 139: 1 destroyed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese air bombing of Batavia and Soerabaja continues.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/3BF3B32C907249BD9A8B67A908ED4EEB.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/15/2007 6:01:41 AM)

Australia: Japanese forces landed at Thursday Island on 2/23 - AAR follows. Australian Torres Strait CD unit based at Thursday Island holding out. Numerous Japanese ships damaged by fire from shore batteries.

Four U.S. squadrons of B-17D & E (38 aircraft total) are currently based at Charters Towers - unfortunatly this base is out of range from Thursday Island.

1st Australian Motor Brigade is moving northward from Cairns to occupy base at Coen.

Ground combat at Thursday Island

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1842 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 23
Torres Strait CD
Defending force 6686 troops, 24 guns, 43 vehicles, Assault Value = 193
Kure 5 & 6 SNLF, 5 Yokosuka SNLF, 6 Reserve Tank Rgt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAR reports for coastal gunfire and attack by U.S. submarine S-38 below taken from Japanese AAR on 2/23/42.

Coastal Guns at Thursday Island, 49,91, firing at TF 236
TF 236 troops unloading over beach at Thursday Island, 49,91

338 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
AK Tsuneshima Maru
PG Choko Maru #2, Shell hits 3, on fire
AK Korei Maru, Shell hits 4, on fire
PC Kyo Maru #11, Shell hits 1
PC Kyo Maru #2, Shell hits 4
PG Chiyo Maru, Shell hits 4
PG Nikkai Maru
PC Ch 15
PG Choan Maru #2, Shell hits 2
AP Nachi Maru
PG Nanpo Maru, Shell hits 2
AP Daihachikyo Maru, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Takayo Maru, Shell hits 1
AP Sumire Maru

Japanese ground losses:
669 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 3

Allied ground losses:
52 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Coastal Guns at Thursday Island, 49,91, firing at TF 236
TF 236 troops unloading over beach at Thursday Island, 49,91

90 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
PC Fumi Maru, Shell hits 1
PC Takunan Maru #2
PG Chohakusan Maru, Shell hits 4
PC Ch 13, Shell hits 1
PC Tama Maru #8
PG Chiyo Maru

Japanese ground losses:
263 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1
Sub attack near Thursday Island at 49,91

Japanese Ships
AK Korei Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PC Ch 16
PC Ch 15
PC Ch 14
PC Ch 13
PC Ch 3
PC Ch 2

Allied Ships
SS S-38, hits 3

ASW attack near Thursday Island at 49,91

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 16
PC Ch 15
PC Ch 14
PC Ch 13

Allied Ships
SS S-38, hits 4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Pacific: Convoys with U.S. LCU, aircraft, supply and fuel have continued moving westward and still enroute. Japanese shore bombardment on Pago Pago - AAR follows.

Naval bombardment of Pago Pago, at 96,113 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

19 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
CA Kako
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 1
CA Kinugasa
CA Aoba, Shell hits 2

Allied ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern Pacific and U.S. West Coast: no major activity to report.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/15/2007 6:27:16 AM)

Just as a footnote..............

An agreement between Pillager and I to amend the house rules for our PBEM regarding shipping channels has been implemented as follows effective with the 2/22/42 game turn.

1: If the IJN decides to invade/ raid Panama or the Galapagos it is free to do so. These raids would be by Carrier air or by surface action and would not be allowed to loiter in the channels for a prolonged period of time, but must move to the target and then away after the attack.

2: Submarines would not be permitted into the channels nor any closer than 5 hexes from an exit (allowing some space for Allied ships to disperse into) nor can loitering raiders be closer than 5 hexes from the exits of these channels (though a Kates range is 5 hexes, so it would be able to attack ships coming out of the channels).

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/18/2007 6:45:13 AM)

Summary of Operations 2/24 - 2/25

Burma: Rangoon fell to Japanese on 2/24 - AAR follows.

Ground combat at Rangoon

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 10342 troops, 60 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 327
55th Infantry Division
Defending force 3107 troops, 46 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 81
2 Burma Brigade

Japanese max assault: 654 - adjusted assault: 2360
Allied max defense: 82 - adjusted defense: 39
Japanese assault odds: 60 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Rangoon base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
307 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Allied ground losses:
159 casualties reported
Guns lost 8

Defeated Allied Units Retreating! (2 Burma Brigade destroyed)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Australia: Thursday Island captured by Japanese on 2/24 - AAR follows.

1st Australian Motor Brigade is moving up to occupy base at Coen (north of Cooktown). There is a open beach hex NE of Coen opposite Port Moresby - I suspect that a Japanese landing could be possible there as well. While I do not have sufficient forces to oppose a landing at this beach hex, this hex will be within range of aircraft based elsewhere in NE Australia including four B-17D & E squadrons (35-40 aircraft total) at Charter Towers.

Ground combat at Thursday Island

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 6531 troops, 23 guns, 45 vehicles, Assault Value = 192
Kure 5 & 6 SNLF, 5 Yokosuka SNLF, 6 Reserve Tank Rgt
Defending force 1782 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 23
Torres Strait CD

Japanese max assault: 320 - adjusted assault: 92
Allied max defense: 17 - adjusted defense: 19
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Thursday Island base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
175 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
1959 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

(Torres Strait CD eliminated)

------------------------------------------------------------------

South Pacific: Convoys bound to the South Pacific theater with U.S. reinforcements and materiel were intercepted and attacked by three Japanese carrier TF's southwest of Papaete (Society Is). Three transport TF's were attacked, approx 15-20 AK and AP were sunk or heavily damaged. Three U.S. LCU (183 U.S. FA Rgt, 14 RCT, and 43 GS Engineer Rgt) carried by the attacked TF's were wiped out.

At this point, it is necessary to raise the question whether the South and Southeast Pacific islands can be defended. Some considerations to look at include...

a) Situation at Pago Pago - only a question of when it is going to fall. Once Pago Pago is under Japanese control, communication between the U.S. west coast and Australia/New Zealand is effectively blockaded all the way to the southern map edge.

b) For at least the next 4-6 months or more, no effective Allied opposition is possible against the KB given the current U.S. inferiority in number of CV, and inferior numbers and quality of aircraft on those CV's. The Zero's combat bonus remains in effect (though it does diminish) until 5/42, tilting the advantage in air-to-air combat even more in the Japanese favor.

c) Lack of effective means to monitor movements of the KB - while it can't be everywhere at once, without adequate means to track its movements it has to be assumed that the KB (in part or entirely) can be anywhere at any given time except on those few occasions where it whereabouts is known. This makes it impossible to have any secure line of communication between the U.S. and South Pacific given the resources currently at hand and the distances involved.

d) Remaining bases in the Southeast Pacific (Society Islands, Rarotonga, Penhryn Is) are too small to support Allied bases or defenses without a build up. An adequate build up of these bases is not possible given the present circumstances.

e) The KB easily outruns any Allied convoy - KB has more than twice the sea movement speed of any Allied transport convoy and can easily be dispatched to intercept any Allied shipping once that shipping is detected.

Based on the considerations above, the following strategic conclusions have been reached.

1) It is not possible to transport reinforcements and materiel from the U.S. to points in the South and Southwest Pacific without extremely heavy losses in ships, LCU, and aircraft. At this time, the majority of anything sent would be intercepted and sunk. Therefore all shipping from the U.S. to the South Pacific has been stopped effective immediately until further notice. Remaining convoys enroute from the U.S. have been aborted and ordered to turn back.

2) No further attempt to defend islands in the South Pacific will be made. Aircraft based on these islands will be withdrawn to New Zealand or Australia as soon as possible. Allied LCU that can be evacuated from island bases to Australia or New Zealand will do so as the situation permits.

3) Australia and New Zealand will have to defend themselves with what is on hand locally, unless an alternate means of getting resources there can be implemented. Even given what is now available in Australia and New Zealand, these places are too big for the Japanese to "swallow up" whole.

4) While control of the South Pacific is effectively being surrendered to the Japanese, the Japanese will find it necessary to occupy it and stretch out its resources to do so. A Japanese advance, even unopposed, will consume time and resources.

The strategic situation outlined here will prevail as long as the KB continues to exist in its present form and size. At such time as sufficient Japanese CV's are sunk or damaged to alter the balance in the Allies' favor, any effective Allied strategy in the South Pacific is completely untenable.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/19/2007 1:21:35 AM)

Summary of Operations 2/26/42

DEI: IJA ground units reached Soerabaja on 2/25 - activity so far limited to bombardment attacks. AAR follows. Japanese captured Djokjakarta (Java) on 2/26.

Ground combat at Soerabaja

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 6554 troops, 178 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 484
2nd Infantry Division; 3,5,& 14 Mortar Bns; 6 & 14 Tank Rgts; 3 & 18 FA Rgts, 10 Mountain Gun Rgt
Defending force 17349 troops, 135 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 275
4th & 6th KNIL Infantry Rgts, MLD Marine Bn, 6 CD Bn, 1 Dutch Naval Base Force

Allied ground losses:
165 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Pacific: So where did the KB go? Overall weather conditions in the Southeast Pacific area was Heavy Precipitation on 2/26 which likely hampered naval air search operations by the KB during the last game turn. Weather forecast for this area on 2/27 is for overcast conditions which should improve the KB's naval air search wherever it is located now.

All Allied TF in the area have turned around and begun moving eastward.

U.S. reinforcements loaded aboard these convoys and the ships carrying them are more useful on the "main front" (Eastern Pacific) rather than being isolated in the Australia/New Zealand "pocket" or else disembarked on an island they will be unable to defend effectively (and eventually be destroyed in that defense), giving Pillager even more "free" VP's above and beyond capturing the base. Also, I have to consider that most ships in these TF's continuing to their original destinations (be it Australia, NZ, or elsewhere in the South Pacific) would at best be cut off from returning to the U.S. or possibly sunk while attempting to return.

VP situation in this PBEM as of 2/26/42 is just less than 3:1 in favor of Japanese (9400 to 3200) - and I expect this to get much worse. My goals at this point is (1) force preservation and (2) avoiding automatic Japanese victory in 1/43. As far as avoiding automatic Japanese victory is concerned, I'm anticipating the VP ratio to slip past 4:1 in the near term and see myself fighting back in late '42 to get it back under 4:1. Force preservation and concentrating it where I have the best chance of success later is the only course of action to improve my chances.

If this were a poker game, there is no chance of winning the current hand. Any small bluff I can make as a smokescreen, fine. Otherwise keep as many chips as I can, and hope for some good hands later.

Whether I defend the South Pacific or not, this PBEM is gonna be a very difficult road.

alfrake -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/19/2007 8:28:15 AM)

If you now consider the Pacific convoy routes closed, how much got through? It seems unpleasantly early for that situation to exist, I'm guessing the Australia area will lack movable LCUs. Long term, that element may be a large boon to Japan as he needs fewer LCU defenses along that border.
I take it your carriers retired to Pearl weeks ago? Otherwise it seems like sighting the KB off in the middle of nowhere killing your convoy could be an opportunity for your carriers to run in and hit something. I am reading this right, the KB are about as far gone as they can get? Realistically, it is probably too early to consider a carrier raid though. A Nell squadron or two could really ruin your war.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/20/2007 12:59:32 AM)

Alfrake -

If you now consider the Pacific convoy routes closed, how much got through?   At this point, nothing. This is the primary reason I am considering most of the South Pacific islands undefendable - there is little or nothing there to defend then.  

True, the Japanese will need fewer LCU's to face Australia and New Zealand, but he will have to keep some there, scatter them across a wider area of territory, and be required to maintain more bases. And he still has to watch the South Pacific area on two fronts even if he controls all the islands. I can still send surface and/or carrier raids from Panama City southward through the ship channels into the Southeast Pacific. And once the strategic balance tips back into the Allies favor (assuming I don't succumb to a Japanese auto victory), I can also invade down there.

As of now, my CV's are split between Pearl and Panama City (two at each) though I am considering consolidating them at Pearl. The ones at Pearl are now covering a mission to build up a base at Christmas Island and out of position to do anything. Also the Hornet is due as reinforcement in about 12 game days.

As far as doing a carrier raid, I am starting to look at possibly slipping a CV task force across the North Pacific through a gap between the Jap bases (either between Marcus and Wake, or between Marcus and the Japanese home islands). If this can be done, I intend to prowl the open sea areas and see what kind of supply and reinforcement shipping I can hit quickly and get out before he can react.

Also a small development in progress in the Indian Ocean - appears that a Japanese TF with one or more CS is prowling south of Java near the southern map edge (it has intercepted one TK and attacked it with floatplanes). However, a TF with two British CV's (not the Hermes) is about 8-9 hexes NW of the Japanese CS's and closing on a course cutting between the Japs and their home base. I might have some fun for a change.         

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/21/2007 9:16:29 PM)

Summary of Operations 2/27/42

South Pacific: AV Curtiss spotted, attacked, and sunk by KB task force at Papeete. AAR and situation map follows.

Day Air attack on TF, near Papaete at 111,130 (Aircraft in this attack believed to be from the Kaga and Soryu)

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 59
D3A2 Val x 23
B5N2 Kate x 25

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AV Curtiss, Bomb hits 15, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x D3A2 Val bombing at 2000 feet
1 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x D3A2 Val bombing at 2000 feet
4 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

[image]local://upfiles/18646/145D7020EB4C44E4B1F5B73F95D757AA.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/21/2007 9:35:22 PM)

Summary of Operations 2/27/42 (cont)

South Pacific:

Japanese amphibious and shore bombardment TF's approaching Pago-Pago. Sigint reports South Seas Detachment is aboard the invasion TF. The U.S. submarine on patrol near Pago Pago is low on fuel and departed for the U.S. - before leaving it was designated a submarine transport and loaded a sliver of 7 Marine CD Battalion for rebuilding in the U.S.
A second (lightly damaged) U.S. submarine returning to the U.S. for repairs has been diverted to Pago Pago to pick up part of another U.S. LCU from Pago Pago for rebuilding on return to the U.S.

U.S. reinforcement and supply convoys turning back to Panama City are expected to be able to return safely. LCU and air units on these convoys will be reassigned to other locations as quickly as possible.

An engineer unit plus ample quantities of supply aboard a convoy departing Panama City several days ago have been diverted to Galapagos Is to begin construction of base facilities there. I intend to build the largest base possible in the Galapagos and occupy it in sufficient strength to hold against any Japanese invasion force moving up through the shipping channels. I also intend to use the Galapagos base as a staging point for Allied surface and submarine raiding activity into the South Pacific via the shipping channels.

Situation map of Pago Pago as of 2/27/42

[image]local://upfiles/18646/42759C66DDA74655AEE2AC4692D30176.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/21/2007 10:08:12 PM)

Summary of Operations 2/27/42 (cont) - now for the rest of the world.

Eastern Pacific:

Landing of 804 EAB (Engineers) and quantities of supply at Christmas Is for build up of a base here is well underway. A U.S. Army RCT that was originally enroute as a reinforcement to the South Pacific is being diverted to garrison Christmas Is. The three beach hex islands in the Palmyra/Christmas Is area (Washington, Jarvis, Fanning Islands) are being explored for build up into bases as well. A complex of bases in this area could eventually become useful as a jumping off point for Allied re-conquest of either the Central or South Pacific islands.

Southwest Pacific:

AK and AP have been dispatched to Suva to begin evacuation of Allied LCU's there - including three U.S. FA Rgts and 8 NZ Brigade plus base units. Noumea is currently held by 14 NZ Brigade and this force will be maintained there.

Tulagi and Russell Is in the Solomons captured by the Japanese.

Australia: No substantial Japanese activity detected other than continued light air bombing at Darwin and Katherine (NW Australia). A number of individual AK and TK from Aden are arriving at Perth with fuel and supply points.

Indian Ocean:

A British carrier TF intercepted and attacked a Japanese TF (AV's Sagara Maru & Sanuki Maru, plus 1 DE) - AAR from Japanese report and map follows. AK Sunuki Maru is confirmed sunk, others not known at this time

Day Air attack on TF at 3,47

Allied aircraft
Fulmar x 11
Albacore x 17

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
AV Sagara Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DE Patrol Boat No. 46, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AV Sanuki Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Albacore launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x Albacore launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 3,47

Allied aircraft
Albacore x 16

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
AV Sanuki Maru, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AV Sanyo Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF at 6,44

Japanese aircraft
F1M2 Pete x 12
E13A1 Jake x 12

Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane x 9
Fulmar x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
F1M2 Pete: 7 destroyed
E13A1 Jake: 8 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Fulmar: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CV Formidable
CV Indomitable

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x F1M2 Pete bombing at 2000 feet
1 x E13A1 Jake bombing at 2000 feet
2 x E13A1 Jake bombing at 2000 feet
2 x F1M2 Pete bombing at 2000 feet
1 x E13A1 Jake bombing at 2000 feet
2 x F1M2 Pete bombing at 2000 feet

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/21/2007 10:09:56 PM)

Burma: No Japanese activity detected.

China: Light activity reported.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/07506A3476BD4B45B32BE889A07C9AFC.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/24/2007 12:30:59 AM)

Summary of Operations 2/28/42

No major Japanese activity detected in India or Burma. Some ground combat in China but no major activity otherwise.

Indian Ocean: British carrier TF (CV Indomitable & Formidable) attacked Japanese AV task force for the second day. AAR from Japanese report follows. Both Jap AV's hit in this attack are confirmed sunk. A second Japanese TF containing escorts and possibly a fourth AV was detected east of the British TF's current location. A decision was made not to pursue the second Japanese TF and instead the British TF has turned back on a westward heading. Sinking three AV's over the last two game days is a nice tactical victory for this engagement - "greed" is rather foolhardy for the Allies at this point of the war.

Day Air attack on TF at 5,46

Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane x 7
Fulmar x 19
Albacore x 33

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AV Sagara Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AV Sanyo Maru, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Albacore launching torpedoes at 200 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEI: Ground and air bombardment attacks on Soerabaja continue. Japanese army units at Soerabaja reinforced with 2 Tank Rgt and 3 Mountain Gun Rgt in 2/28 attack. AAR follows.

Japanese army units that landed at Merak have advanced on and reached Batavia but have yet to attack - identity of these units not known at this time.

Attacking force 25684 troops, 261 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 550
2nd Infantry Division; 3,5,& 14 Mortar Bns; 2, 6 & 14 Tank Rgts; 3 & 18 FA Rgts, 3 & 10 Mountain Gun Rgts
Defending force 16891 troops, 120 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 263

Allied ground losses:
205 casualties reported
Guns lost 10

Philippines: Ground and air bombardments continue at Bataan and Cagayan. No other detected Japanese activity.

Australia/New Zealand: Individual AK and TK have been arriving at Perth from India transporting supply and fuel points. Light Japanese air bombing attacks continue in NW Australia. Other sectors quiet.

South Pacific: No reported Japanese activity. Reinforcement convoys still headed eastward.

Eastern Pacific: A Japanese TF (four ships) spotted by naval air search about 6-7 hexes SW of Palmyra moving on a E heading at 11 kts (appear to be coming from Baker Is). This TF possibly heading for either Palmyra or Christmas Is. Transport TF currently docked at Christmas Is has suspended unloading operations and moved off to the east. A U.S. carrier TF (Saratoga and Enterprise) is in the area and is positioning itself to track and possibly attack the Japanese TF if tactical situation is favorable.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/26/2007 1:11:55 AM)

Summary of Operations 3/1 - 3/2/42

Eastern Pacific: Japanese surface TF bombarded Palmyra - AAR follows. Light damage at Palmyra. Jap TF moved away from Palmyra on a NW course, out of range of CV Saratoga & Enterprise. Transport unloading operations at Christmas Is has resumed. Some reinforcements and supply from convoys originally headed to the South Pacific are being diverted to this theater.

Naval bombardment of Palmyra, at 110,90 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

14 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 2

Allied ground losses:
217 casualties reported
Guns lost 11
Vehicles lost 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Pacific: Japanese (Sasebo 7 SNLF) landed on and captured Wallis Island on 3/1/42. No Allied garrison was present at Wallis Is. It appears that Suva is the next Japanese objective in the South Pacific.

Australia/NZ: Other than light air bombing attacks at Darwin, no detected Japanese activity.

DEI: Japanese air and ground bombardment attacks continue at Soerabaja. No activity by Japanese LCU at Batavia.

Burma: Mandalay captured by Japanese on 3/1/42 - AAR follows. Identity of Japanese LCU is not known, although the unit capturing Mandalay is believed to be a full division (no additional units attached). Air recon reports a second unidentified Japanese division at Meiktila.

Ground combat at Mandalay

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 9994 troops, 60 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 307
(attacking LCU unknown, probably division strength)
Defending force 2446 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 64
2 Burma Brigade

Japanese max assault: 334 - adjusted assault: 302
Allied max defense: 59 - adjusted defense: 24
Japanese assault odds: 12 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Mandalay base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
353 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

India: British 7 Armored Brigade arrived at Aden as reinforcement, now loaded and enroute to Bombay.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/29/2007 4:57:05 AM)

Summary of Operations 3/3 -3/4/42

Burma: Two Japanese divisions are now reported in Mandalay - the division earlier reported in Meiktila appears to have moved up into Mandalay. Seems that the main axis of Japanese advance in Burma is in the north - can see the possibility of one division moving on Lashio, the second one on Myitkyina. If Pillager attempts both of these moves, might be a long shot chance of slipping a brigade from either of his flanks back into Mandalay and cutting both divisions off. I have a brigade available on each flank and may be able to get them in place for such a move without a great deal of risk.

India: All sectors quiet. Redeploying one infantry brigade to Ledo to meet a possible Japanese end run on the northern flank along the Burma-India frontier. Reserves in NE India include two divisions (one British, one Indian), along with ample artillery support and some tanks. RAF and RIAF air base units at bases along the India-Burma border are being ordered to move to the rear as the decision has been made to not operate aircraft out of these airfields for the time being as they will eventually be too close to (or directly on) the front lines.

Question.... It would seem the Japanese would have some difficulty with a frontal assault on a defended border between India and Burma, mainly due to supply reasons on their part. The winner of a battle along the India-Burma border would likely be the side with the best supply situation (and this is slightly in the Allied favor, especially if local air supremacy can be achieved directly over the frontier regions to allow air transport). Therefore, a very likely move for the Japanese would be to flank this line by a amphibious attack. I am tempted at this point to begin moving the reserves (at least one, probably both divisions and most of the tanks and artillery towards the coast). Opinions on this from any readers welcome.....

South Pacific: Two Japanese TF's (one of them carrier, the other probably shore bombardment) detected approaching Suva on 3/4. Minelaying operations ordered and now underway for Luganville and bases north of Noumea. A minelayer is also holding off Suva to drop mines there at a suitable point in time (I still have ships enroute for evacuation purposes and need to hold the port open temporarily).

A small Australian LCU (2/1 Independent Co) remains in Kavieng which is still in Allied hands - the Japanese having bypassed it. Several submarines in the area (all returning or heading to Australia to refuel) have been ordered to Kavieng to pick up what they can of the unit and bring it to Australia. Every LCU however small will be helpful and I'm sure Pillager will eventually decide go back and take Kavieng anyway.

Philippines: Japanese ground and air bombardments continue at Bataan and Cagayan.

Eastern Pacific: Unloading operations at Christmas Island complete, engineers are making nice progress. I am diverting an LCU (either RCT or division) from the SW Pacific reinforcement convoys north to garrison Christmas Is.

DEI: Air and ground attacks continue at Batavia and Soerabaja. Bandoeng (Java) captured in an airborne assualt by Japanese 1 Para Rgt on 3/3. Situation map and AAR's follow.

Ground combat at Batavia

Attacking force 11340 troops, 45 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 549
5th Infantry Division, 4 Mixed Rgt, 17 Hvy FA Rgt, 10 Mountain Gun Rgt
Defending force 12636 troops, 45 guns, 38 vehicles, Assault Value = 211
1 & 2 KNIL Rgts, 1 NEIAF Aviation, Batavia CD Bn, Mobiele Einhard Armored Unit

Allied ground losses:
44 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Attacking force 7676 troops, 241 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 537
2nd & 18th Infantry Divisions; 3,5,& 14 Mortar Bns; 2, 6 & 14 Tank Rgts; 3 & 18 FA Rgts, 3 & 10 Mountain Gun Rgts
Defending force 14995 troops, 62 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 196

Japanese ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
232 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Java situation map as of 3/5/42.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/894D0885E9BE47FB8E87B6BC6B5C2E67.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/29/2007 5:09:38 AM)

Another question for any readers.... If I have "regular" artillery LCU (not coastal defense) located in a coastal base hex or an island base, will they fire at enemy ships bombarding or attempting an amphibious landing at that base?

ctangus -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/29/2007 5:36:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wneumann

Question.... It would seem the Japanese would have some difficulty with a frontal assault on a defended border between India and Burma, mainly due to supply reasons on their part. The winner of a battle along the India-Burma border would likely be the side with the best supply situation (and this is slightly in the Allied favor, especially if local air supremacy can be achieved directly over the frontier regions to allow air transport). Therefore, a very likely move for the Japanese would be to flank this line by a amphibious attack. I am tempted at this point to begin moving the reserves (at least one, probably both divisions and most of the tanks and artillery towards the coast). Opinions on this from any readers welcome.....

Yep, an overland assault against India by the Japanese would be very hard to supply. Plus it would take a long time, giving you plenty of time to adjust.

On the other hand an amphibious assault against your coast could show up with little warning. Better to keep your large LCUs near the coast IMO - you could still send them back to the Burma-India border ahead of any Japanese advance there.

quote:

Another question for any readers.... If I have "regular" artillery LCU (not coastal defense) located in a coastal base hex or an island base, will they fire at enemy ships bombarding or attempting an amphibious landing at that base?

I think they will, but I'm honestly not entirely sure.

jumper -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/29/2007 12:05:41 PM)

quote:

Another question for any readers.... If I have "regular" artillery LCU (not coastal defense) located in a coastal base hex or an island base, will they fire at enemy ships bombarding or attempting an amphibious landing at that base?

Against the bombarment TF they will not fire, but against the amphibious landing they will.
At least according to my experience with japanese Hvy Artillery Brigade :-)

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/30/2007 1:01:04 AM)

Thanx ctangus & jumper.

As of now I have most of the available artillery LCU in India held back in reserve (keeping them out of the front line until such time as I know where I want to commit them). I am leaning more and more towards moving the reserves to beef up garrisons of bases along the east coast of India, especially Madras and around Calcutta. Based on what jumper posted, regular artillery would be a useful augment to coastal defence even if they don't have the full capability of a CD unit in this regard. With the reserves I have a good chance of putting together a decent "Atlantic Wall" along the key areas of the Indian east coast and Ceylon (which itself is already heavily defended) - at least to the point where the Japanese will not have an unopposed or lightly opposed landing at any point where there is a base large enough to support a assault.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/31/2007 6:53:51 AM)

Summary of Operations 3/5 - 3/6/42

India: Movement of reserve LCU to coastal bases began on 3/5. British LCU reinforcements arriving at Aden are being dispatched to India as quickly as they arrive in the game.

Burma. No detectable Japanese activity. Blenheim bombers based in NE India bombarded Japanese 55th Division at Mandalay inflicting light casualties - no Japanese air opposition over Mandalay at this time.

China: This has been ongoing for several (game) days, a bit bizarre perhaps, but I can take it... A doomed Chinese Army HQ trapped behind enemy lines has been valiantly holding up a Japanese division in its tracks single-handed. AAR from 3/6 turn follows.

Ground combat at 49,38

Attacking force 19048 troops, 85 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 386
116th Infantry Division
Defending force 2740 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0
HQ 23rd Group Army

Japanese max assault: 359 - adjusted assault: 163
Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 7
Japanese assault odds: 23 to 1

Allied ground losses:
42 casualties reported

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philippines: The usual air and ground bombardments of Bataan and Cagayan continue. No change in the situation.

DEI: Japanese capture Batavia on 3/6 - AAR follows. All defending Dutch LCU were eliminated.

Ground combat at Batavia

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 26570 troops, 55 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 602
5th Infantry Division, 4 Mixed Rgt, 21 Mixed Brig, 1 Parachute Rgt, 5 Engineer Rgt, 17 Hvy FA Rgt, 10 Mountain Gun Rgt
Defending force 12044 troops, 36 guns, 37 vehicles, Assault Value = 192
1 & 2 KNIL Rgts, 1 NEIAF Aviation, Batavia CD Bn, Mobiele Einhard Armored Unit

Japanese max assault: 904 - adjusted assault: 532
Allied max defense: 194 - adjusted defense: 124
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Batavia base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Brewster 339D: 3 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
676 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
21344 casualties reported
Guns lost 27
Vehicles lost 12

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South, Southeast, and Eastern Pacific: No major activity reported.

Question concerning engineers - I have several Army combat engineer LCU's available on the U.S. west coast. Do combat engineers have any capability to perform construction tasks (i.e. expanding base capacities), either alone or combined with other ground units?

BB damaged at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41 attacks are reparing nicely in San Francisco. Not that I have anything to do with them for the moment, but nice to get them repaired and out of the way before my ship yards get more serious work to do. Two other BB not shown here - BB Pennslyvania (40 damage) enroute to Seattle to complete repair there after initial repairs at Pearl, BB West Virginia (52 damage) remains at Pearl Harbor. Oddly enough, the number of damaged ships undergoing repair is rather small.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/26634C4B1E6D42FCB0EE4C48794087CA.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (1/31/2007 6:56:48 AM)

Intelligence display with status as of 3/6/42.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/CB9C6AB7D1E54AABB7453CA86D267189.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (2/6/2007 3:39:16 AM)

Summary of Operations 3/7 -3/8/42

Starting to look at ship upgrades upcoming in 4/42 - what ships will go in for upgrades, where they will be done, etc. My plan is to use smaller shipyards (Portland, San Diego, Canadian ports) as much as possible for upgrade activity, especially to upgrade smaller warships (DD, SS, some CL's) and auxiliaries. Spare shipyard capacity in larger ports (SF, LA, Seattle, Pearl Harbor) will be used when available.

Eastern Pacific/U.S. West Coast: HQ 7th Air Force arrived at Pearl Harbor. Except for continuing Japanese air recon over Palmyra, no other activity in this area reported.

Southeast Pacific: ASW activity in the shipping channels south of Panama City - AAR follows. Some transport shipping is moving northward to Panama City and should not be seriously impacted. I'm confident Pillager will be sending some of the KB down for a "free lunch", good distraction for him. Actually, I'm headed out for some fun of my own....

South Pacific:

Japanese surface combat TF bombarded base at Suva on 3/7 - in their haste they missed four Allied transport ships that reached Suva just after the Japs finished bombarding. The transports picked up a U.S. Army FA Rgt and parts of 8 NZ Brigade and quickly departed unscathed except for several bomb hits from floatplanes. However, the Jap TF did catch and sink a U.S. minelayer approaching Suva.

Two U.S. minelayers reached Luganville and left 80 "meatballs" in the harbor. Other Allied minelayers are enroute to leave "droppings" at other bases in the vicinity.

Australia: Japanese air recon active over base at Coen (NE Australia) - Coen is currently vacant. 1st Australian Motor Brigade is moving overland towards Coen to garrison the base and should arrive within the next several days. No other Japanese activity reported around Australia or NZ other than continued Jap air bomb attacks at Darwin and Katherine in NW Australia.

Phillipines: Continued Japanese air and ground bombardment at both Bataan and Cagayan. A Japanese base force LCU (31st) is reported with the attacking ground forces at Cagayan.

DEI: Japanese ground and air bombardment attacks continue at Soerabaja. Some of the Jap LCU previously engaged at Batavia were detected moving eastward towards Soerabaja - none of these units are identified. Dutch garrison at Tilitjap still holding.

India: Deployments of British and Indian ground forces to cover bases on the Indian east coast continue. Blenheim bombers are now striking Japanese ground units at Magwe and Mandalay. Approx 20K fuel points and some resource points stockpiled at Chittagong are now being loaded on transport ships for removal to other locations in India.

A Japanese TF (estimated one AV and one CVL) was detected approx 8-9 hexes east of Ceylon, heading unknown. The British carrier TF (CV Indomitable & Fomidable) is refueling at Colombo and going back out to sea ASAP. Depending on the tactical situation, the British CV may engage the Jap TF if the situation is favorable to do so. The Jap TF will soon enter naval air search range of Catalinas from Trincomalee if it proceeds on a westward course - intend to watch it for now.

Burma: Japanese 33rd Division captured Magwe on 3/7. Situation map follows.

[image]local://upfiles/18646/CBB9CD442CB34353BCED53ED0F62F021.jpg[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (2/12/2007 2:19:50 AM)

Summary of Operations 3/9 - 3/11/42

U.S. West Coast/Eastern Pacific:

Enemy mines were reported at Midway - probably laid by Japanese submarines (type 88). AK Haleakala struck one mine when arriving at Midway - moderate damage to the ship, no damage to cargo. Haleakala is returning to Pearl Harbor. This is the first reported Japanese mining activity of the war against an Allied-controlled base. Gotta start using the minesweepers.

SS Bonita reports a Val dive bomber spotted on patrol near Kwajalein - this would suggest one or more Japanese fleet CV(s) are docked or based there. Also several F1M2 floatplanes were spotted by the Bonita near Kwajelein - these are known to operate from some Japanese CS, also from Nagato class BB.

SS Pompano reports a Mavis flying boat near Wake Is. A number of U.S. submarines will shortly be operating in areas of the northern Pacific to survey Japanese air patrol activity and ship movement between the area north and northwest of Wake and the Japanese home islands. With the Japanese emphasis in the South Pacific, a study is underway to consider feasibility of some kind of activity along the Japanese northern flank, especially if the KB is drawn once again into the South Pacific.

South Pacific: Light activity in most sectors. A number of Japanese ships are operating in the area near Suva - several floatplane attacks on Allied ships have been reported, no major damage. Based on Japanese aircraft types and number of aircraft reported (E8N, E13A1) - at least one CS is in the area operating the E13A1, several CA or BB (Kongo, Fuso, or Ise class) that are operating the E8N. AK Rhesus reached Suva, successfully evaded several Japanese floatplane air attacks without damage, The Rhesus picked up the last of 8 New Zealand Brigade from Suva and is now departing there for Auckland.

Australia: Light activity reported.

India: British 7 Armored Brigade now disembarking in Bombay. British carrier TF (CV Indomitable & Fomidable) has been ordered to return to Colombo - no contact was made with the Japanese AV or CVL task force reported east of Ceylon. Removal of excess fuel and resource points from Chittagong by sea continues. All other sectors quiet.

Burma: No detectable Japanese activity reported.

China: Japanese bombardment attacks continue along many sectors of the front lines - this is normal Japanese activity for most areas of the Chinese front lines.

Phillipines: Evacuation of elements of the 31 U.S. RCT from Bataan for rebuilding in Australia underway. The main consideration for this is the need for infantry LCU's in Australia.

DEI: Japanese capture Pamakasan (off Soerabaja) on 3/10, Soerabaja itself also fell on 3/11. AAR follow.

Ground combat at Pamakasan

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 8669 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 414
4th Infantry Division
Defending force 1773 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 60
Barisan Rgt

Japanese max assault: 848 - adjusted assault: 562
Allied max defense: 52 - adjusted defense: 5
Japanese assault odds: 112 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Pamakasan base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
400 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Attacking force 57466 troops, 367 guns, 145 vehicles, Assault Value = 1229
2nd & 18th Infantry Divisions; 21 Mixed Brigade; 3, 5,& 14 Mortar Bns; 2, 6 & 14 Tank Rgts; 3 & 18 FA Rgts, 3 & 10 Mountain Gun Rgts
Defending force 14277 troops, 54 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 165

Japanese max assault: 1103 - adjusted assault: 1159
Allied max defense: 146 - adjusted defense: 96
Japanese assault odds: 12 to 1 (fort level 5)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Soerabaja base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Brewster 339D: 1 destroyed
F.K.51: 4 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
351 casualties reported
Guns lost 6
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
11747 casualties reported
Guns lost 69
Vehicles lost 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting Japanese dispatch was picked up from my (normally very quiet) opponent Pillager....

"Your Engineers COMPLETELY destroyed Soerbaja. 0/500 Resource centers active. 0/100 Oil centers active. I have never seen anything like it before. It is going to cost me 600,000 supply to repair all of that damage...ouch."

Did we witness a very fortunate Allied "dice roll" here... Was it the "Russian advisors" embedded with the Dutch engineer unit at Soerabaja. Or maybe some Japanese "smoke and mirrors". In any event, some Allied submarine presence at Soerabaja will be needed, especially with the prospect of sinking some of that 600K supply rolling into there (or the oil leaving there if this dispatch is false).

If the resource and oil facilities at Soerabaja were actually damaged to that extent.... How urgent is it for the Japanese to rebuild at Soerabaja? What impact would the supply points required to rebuild have on the rest of the Japanese economy, also military operations in the front lines?

FEAR THE GATOR!!!

[image]local://upfiles/18646/00910F10D79247839B16FD434200E768.gif[/image]

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (2/14/2007 2:19:42 AM)

Summary of Operations 3/12/42

DEI: The battle for Java has ended - Tjilitap captured by the Japanese today. AAR follows.

Ground combat at Tjilitjap

Attacking force 10497 troops, 41 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 542
5th Infantry Division, 21 Mixed Brigade, 4 Mixed Rgt, 2 Parachute Rgt, 17 Hvy FA Rgt
Defending force 1827 troops, 9 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 32
Tjilitjap Garrison Bn, 5 Coastal Gun Bn

Japanese max assault: 87 - adjusted assault: 39
Allied max defense: 28 - adjusted defense: 4
Japanese assault odds: 9 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Tjilitjap base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Hawk 75A: 8 destroyed
Brewster 339D: 4 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
1418 casualties reported
Guns lost 14
Vehicles lost 4

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bases and areas in the DEI remaining in Allied control include: parts of eastern Sumatra (including Palembang), Singkep Is,
Muntok (Bangka Is), Pontianek (Borneo), Pinrang (Celebes), Morotai, and Manokwari.

Orders have been issued to British and Chinese bomber squadrons based in India and southern China to target oil facilities in Burma. The purpose of this action is to attempt to gauge whether the Japanese are actually having difficulties with oil supplies (based on what transpired in the previous game turn). While these air attacks will inflict little or no significant damage to Japanese-held oil facilities, any Japanese reaction to these attacks could provide some indication as to whether oil supplies are an issue and (if so) how serious an issue it may be.

Eastern Pacific: SS Bonita at Kwajalein reports a Val dive bomber and Kate torpedo bomber spotted on patrol - this confirms the presence of one or more Japanese fleet CV(s) docked or based there.

South Pacific: AV Kinagawa Maru spotted and attacked by Hudsons near Suva.

Japanese 51 Independent Mixed Brigade landed at and captured Funafuti Is.

Minor or no detected Japanese activity reported in other sectors.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (2/17/2007 1:12:15 AM)

Summary of Operations 3/13/42

India: Deployment of LCU to cover ports along the eastern coastline of India nearly complete. Also deploying British level bomber squadrons (particularly Blenheim IV) to bases within striking range of targets in Burma. Removal of fuel and resource points stockpiled at Chittagong nearly complete without Japanese interference - oddly enough no Jap bombers are known to be currently based in Burma at this time.

Burma: No detected activity or movement from Japanese army ground forces. A Jap fighter squadron (Oscars) is now based at Mandalay, probably in response to British bombing attacks on LCU and oil facilities there. I have switched these bombers to night attacks - too few aircraft and too little bomb load to inflict serious harm either by day or night but still useful from the standpoint of combat experience. Chinese IL-4 bombers from Kunming also participating in bombing attacks.

DEI: No activity reported on 3/13.

Philippines: Japanese ground attack on Bataan. AAR follows.

Ground combat at Bataan

Attacking force 102925 troops, 455 guns, 168 vehicles, Assault Value = 1982
16th, 38th, 48th & 56th Infantry Divisions; 65th Infantry Brigade; 4, 7 & 8 Tank Rgts, 2 NLF, Yokosuka 1 & 3 SNLF,
Kure 1 SNLF, 3 & 21 Engineer Rgts, 1 & 8 Heavy FA Rgts, 15 Mortar Bn, 1 Heavy Brig
Defending force 45859 troops, 244 guns, 246 vehicles, Assault Value = 924
11th, 21st, 31st, 41st & 71st Reserve Divisions; 2nd Constabulary Division, 31 US RCT, 45 & 57 PS RCTs, 26 PS Cavalry Rgt, 4 Marine Rgt, 192 & 194 Tank Bns, Provisional FA Group; 301 Provisional, 86 & 88 FA Rgts; Corregidor Fortress CD, 200 Cst AA Rgt, 14 PS Engineer Rgt, 803 EAB, 4 & 109 USAAF Base Force, 118 USN Base Force, 8 PAF Base Force

Japanese max assault: 1982 - adjusted assault: 1845
Allied max defense: 814 - adjusted defense: 2095
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese ground losses:
1914 casualties reported
Guns lost 34
Vehicles lost 6

Allied ground losses:
1462 casualties reported
Guns lost 37
Vehicles lost 9

South Pacific: Japanese 51 Independent Mixed Brigade landed at and captured Nukufetau.

Australia/New Zealand: No reported Japanese activity other than continued light air bombing attacks in NW Australia.

Central Pacific: SS Bonita at Kwajalein continues reporting Val dive bomber and Kate torpedo bomber spotted on patrol - apparently Kwajalein is one of the primary bases for the KB. Development of Japanese airbases on several islands surrounding Kwajalein has also been detected.

wneumann -> RE: wneumann vs Jolly Pillager- the Allied perspective (2/19/2007 12:55:44 AM)

Summary of Operations 3/14 - 3/15/42

India & Burma: Light Japanese air raids on Akyab continuing for several days - no estimates on damage as there have been no Allied LCU or air units in Akyab for the last 10-12 days. Most of the fuel and resource points stockpiled at Chittagong have now been removed from there by sea and transferred to other locations in India. Otherwise, no significant Japanese activity reported.

Also, I am considering an operation to oppose the anticipated Japanese move to capture Palembang. What is being considered is to use the British carrier TF (CV Indomitable & Formidable) now docked at Colombo - the plan would be for this TF to sail for a point along the southern coast of Sumatra opposite Palembang.

The TF would either (1) launch a naval air strike (with Swordfish & Albacore TB's) from off the south coast of Sumatra (flying northward across the island) to attack a Japanese landing force as it enters Palembang, or (2) approach close enough to the southern coast of Sumatra to launch all its Swordfish and Albacore TB and transfer (temporarily) these aircraft to one of two remaining Allied-controlled bases on Sumatra. From there, the Swordfish would attack the Japanese invasion TF at Sumatra and then transfer back to the CV.

Pitfalls to this plan include (a) the south coast of Sumatra is within range of Japanese LBA based at Singapore that include Betty & Nell, (b) neither of the Allied-controlled bases in southern Sumatra has an airbase LCU - aircraft damaged during transfer from the CV's or in the strike on Palembang would have to be abandoned, (c) timing of the TF's movement would have to be tightly synchronized with the Japanese invasion at Palembang.

Any other considerations here? Is this operation even feasible?

[image]local://upfiles/18646/52ADFB40A315468AA215F6D99806D9F1.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI