Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

mbMike -> Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/16/2006 10:38:06 AM)

What computer based wargame (any genre) do you spend the most time playing these days? And which one did you spend the most time ever playing?

I am still playing the Steel Panthers revisions but Close Combat was probably sapped more of my waking hours. Well, it's probably a tie for playing time. :)

Neilster -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/16/2006 11:18:26 AM)

I probably put equal time into the Combat Mission series, The Operational Art of War 3, Highway to the Reich, Conquest of the Aegean and flight sims. World in Flames will be added to this when it's released.

Cheers, Neilster

Marc von Martial -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/16/2006 12:04:31 PM)

Close Combat

Jevhaddah -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/16/2006 1:41:35 PM)

Close Combat 2 and Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday, WPO comes next along with Space Empires 4, Starcraft and Total Anihillation.

I have most of the games sold here and play them as the fancy takes me, usually when I am reading a book about a certain battle or campaign.

Cheers

Jev

Hertston -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/16/2006 1:55:39 PM)

Currently Harpoon 3 (mostly) and HPS's ACW 'Campaign' series, with occasional games of CotA, TOAW 3 and MegaMek. I don't have much time these days, sadly, but will make some for Forge of Freedom when that is released.

Sarge -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/16/2006 2:22:19 PM)

Combat Mission, closely followed by Close Combat

MikeBrough -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/16/2006 2:43:05 PM)

Currently CotA. But, back in the early 90s, I played the original Harpoon until my mouse melted.

wodin -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/16/2006 2:48:36 PM)

Close COmbat series and Airborne Assault series.

Gil R. -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/17/2006 11:11:35 PM)

Dig-Dug.

Nemo69 -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/17/2006 11:27:29 PM)

TOAW in its various versions hands down. And V4V: Utah Beach a distant second, a long time ago.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/18/2006 1:22:34 AM)

Steel Panthers is like that favourite sweater or that comfortable pair of jeans.

But currently I am more likely to be playing Civ IV against a couple of local friends. One Hotseat and the other via internet connect up.

Deathtreader -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/18/2006 1:24:29 AM)

Hi all,

Current faves are HTTR/COTA along with Warplan Orange. Think my all time faves were the old V4V/WAW games which I still occasionally fire up & play. My most anticipated game is Combined Arms, but I'm starting to think I won't live long enough to see it..........[:(]
Regards,

Rob.[:)]

yammahoper -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/18/2006 1:57:33 AM)

Total Annilation and Kings Something...had to unite England back in the days of catapolts and whatnot...played it endlessly on the first Amiga.

Waiting for EiA now...

yamma

ravinhood -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/18/2006 4:02:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Dig-Dug.

LOL....Good Ole Dig-Dug.

Combat Mission & SPWAW probably tie though I haven't really kept up with which one I play the most. Medieval Total War comes in a close 2nd. Didn't like the Close Combat series at all though I have them all. (collecting) Just don't care for real time click fests.

Mike Wood -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/18/2006 6:47:13 AM)

Hello...

SPWaW and WIP. Spent most time playing PacWar.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbMike
What computer based wargame (any genre) do you spend the most time playing these days? And which one did you spend the most time ever playing?

baevans99 -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/18/2006 3:52:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Currently Harpoon 3 (mostly) and HPS's ACW 'Campaign' series, with occasional games of CotA, TOAW 3 and MegaMek. I don't have much time these days, sadly, but will make some for Forge of Freedom when that is released.

Nice to see another MegaMek player. I am quite active on the various MekWars (MegaMek campaign environment) servers.

In the past I have spent many a day playing SP(WAW), CIV, and XCOM as well.

Note: Emphasis by me

Hard Sarge -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/18/2006 5:35:48 PM)

Hmmm
overall, I would have to say BTR, I won it twice as the Allies and have had many, many restarts while doing betas for the OOB's way back when, and of course, now

but I had tons of time on a lot of games, besides being a HARD core flight simmer

(to be honest, if we talking total time, it would be Fighter Ace, but I replying about a War Game)

alaric99x -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/19/2006 12:54:16 AM)

TOAW3 and more TOAW3.  Right now I'm testing various scenarios against Elmer.  I'm also following the discussions on the forum about COTA, but I don't have it yet.  It sounds like a very interesting game system, but another major vocation like TOAW3.

KG Erwin -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/19/2006 2:45:08 AM)

I just bought AoE III, so I'm playing it quite a bit now.  I've gotten my home city (Liverpool, as the Brits) up to a level 8.

My all-time fave is still SPWaW, though, for several reasons.  I think you guys know why.  [;)]

I also am a fan of Pure Sim Baseball, and still play Medieval:Total War once in awhile.

One comment:  I invested in Russo-German War, but it will NOT run on Windows XP, even in Win 98 compatibility mode.   It did run on my old (dead) PC, but not on my newer one.   DAMN Microsoft and their inability to be backwards-compatible! [:@]  

Brigz -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/19/2006 6:58:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

One comment:  I invested in Russo-German War, but it will NOT run on Windows XP, even in Win 98 compatibility mode.   It did run on my old (dead) PC, but not on my newer one.   DAMN Microsoft and their inability to be backwards-compatible! [:@]  

Before running the game change your screen settings to 16 bit instead of 32 bit color. It should run. It runs great on my Win XP.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/19/2006 1:10:35 PM)

Definitely MegaMek. I'm sure hour count with it has passed Civilization already [8D]
MekWars is my primary mean to play MegaMek. MegaMekNET server is my favourite but sometimes I hang out on TotalTech and used to play on Nuclear Winter when it was up and running.

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Don't throw away your old PCs and you can play what ever you like.

TheHellPatrol -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/19/2006 9:18:45 PM)

HPS: Defending The Reich
Birth Of America
Civ IV:Fall Of Heaven 2(mod) & Warlords
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War plus all exp's
Knights Of Honor
HTTR/COTA
WITP...

In no particular order[sm=terms.gif]

Grouchy -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/19/2006 9:34:35 PM)

Spend way too much time with GG's War in Russia & Action Stations! Aaah lots of fun....

Arkady -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/20/2006 2:28:42 PM)

Campaign Series (and waiting for MG re-release)
Panzer Campaigns
WitP & WPO

Charles2222 -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/20/2006 2:38:59 PM)

I suupose the most time I currently spend playing is with Civ4, whereas the one I've probably played the most would have to have been either Panzer Strike or WIR.  

bradfordkay -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/20/2006 6:54:52 PM)

War in the Pacific.

Prior to that it was Uncommon Valor.

Years ago it was Steel Panthers.

SireChaos -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/20/2006 10:14:22 PM)

X-Com UFO Defense, and Star Control 2, if these count as wargames. IMHO, the two best computer games of *any* genre, ever.

Peter Fisla -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/21/2006 12:25:03 AM)

Close Combat, WitP and EF2 Campaign Series

Randy -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/21/2006 4:41:38 AM)

I only play two games (I guess I should expand my horizons a bit) SPWAW and SPMBT. I am interested though in War in the Pacific since I would like to play some type of naval game with the ability to manuever ships.

VanGal -> RE: Your Favorite Computer Based Wargame (9/21/2006 5:55:27 AM)

New to this site, but not the games.
Favorites include Close Combat, V4V, and HQ Command (a rather quaint game which was not turn based and had limited visiblity, making for surprises on the opponents flanks).

VanGal

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI