RE: Repeatable CTD (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support

spruce -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/1/2006 5:06:10 PM)

I had a CTD when I (CSA) as besieging the cumberland fort with 2 siege works (one army container and one division container ) - I saw 2 siegeworks on the map.

Then after some time - the fort is taken - I get 2 messages from my confederate "messenger" telling me I have taken the fort (can't remember the name). Then CTD

Gil R. -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/1/2006 6:47:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texican

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Yeah, I was wrong -- one can besiege two forts in a province at the same time. For some reason I thought we decided against that. Mea culpa. But cities definitely can't be taken until the forts are gone.

But regardless, violating a game rule should simply be prevented or made impossible by the code, not cause it to crash.

It's pretty clear that the crashes are not linked to violation of a game-rule, since some crashes occurred when only one target was being besieged.

tc237 -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/1/2006 8:16:15 PM)

I have the same crash.
For me it seems to be when a Div. container enters an area being besieged by another container (Army in Murfreesboro in this case).
Upon ending the turn, I get the standard "Fort xxx has been successfully besieged..." message.
Hit "OK" and the game hesitates for a few seconds then crashes.
Have an auto-save that will crash every single time upon End of Turn.

-sending save file

Temple -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 12:52:35 AM)

And the third CTD situation for me [:(]. This time the siege of Knoxville. Files have been sent to Eric. Noted something odd, when the "siege sucessful" message came up the city was blue (I am union) but the siegeworks icon was still there. That's wrong, right?

UPDATE: And just to make it clear, I had a single force laying siege directly to Knoxville, there were no forts listed when I made the option to besiege.

ahauschild -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 1:01:13 AM)

I have also received this crash, after a successfull siege in Kentuky I get the window error message and then it shuts down to the desktop.
Happend now on 4 diffent campains, pretty much the game is unplayable till this is fixed, as you have to siege in order to take lands.
Hope we get a quick fix for his real soon.

Great_Ajax -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 2:04:43 AM)

I am getting a CTD every time I reload one of my saves. Not sure what is causing it but it happens after I pick a technological upgrade and before units even begin to move. Music starts to stutter and then I get the Windows crash dialog. Screen says "Moving ..." Disappointing because I was doing really well and enjoying the campaign in Jul '62. Probably not going to start a new game until these CTDs get fixed as this is the second one in as many games. Highly frustrating.

Trey

Gil R. -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 2:07:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: el hefe

I am getting a CTD every time I reload one of my saves. Not sure what is causing it but it happens after I pick a technological upgrade and before units even begin to move. Music starts to stutter and then I get the Windows crash dialog. Screen says "Moving ..." Disappointing because I was doing really well and enjoying the campaign in Jul '62. Probably not going to start a new game until these CTDs get fixed as this is the second one in as many games. Highly frustrating.

Trey

This sounds like something Eric should see. Please send those save files to him (ericbabe@west-civ.com) in a zip file. Thanks!

JaguarUSF -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 2:20:02 AM)

As I noted in my e-mail to Eric, I seem to remember that the game said I captured the Cumberland province 1 turn BEFORE the game said I seiged Fort Hill. I sent the past 3 turns to him. Maybe this is the issue?

Temple -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 5:33:52 AM)

Damn, damn, damn. In my current game where I had the repeatable CTD after besieging Knoxville I loaded an "autosave3", in other word three turns back. I did NOT besiege Knoxville again, instead I passed it by and attacked Chattanoga. All well and good and the siege worked. And then I went back to Knoxville and laid seige and this time it was successful without the CTD.

However.... I continued playing and eventually attacked Atlanta. After several turns I suddenly found, once again, that the city color was blue but the siege icon was still there. And when I pressed the "Next Turn" button, after several other messages I got that "Atlanta has fallen" and bang, the MS dialog box pops up and the CTD occurs. My fourth CTD file set on the way to Eric.

That's it, I give up. Please get the patch out ASAP.... I can't deal with these CTDs anymore.

krrpt -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 6:01:06 AM)

7 (attempted) games - 7 siege related crashes. At this point do you need any more saved files sent your way or do you have enough information to debug this issue?

Temple -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 6:06:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: krrpt

7 (attempted) games - 7 siege related crashes. At this point do you need any more saved files sent your way or do you have enough information to debug this issue?

krrpt, were all your crashes in the Basic, Intermediate or Advanced rules set? Mine were all in the basic.

Gil R. -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 6:29:02 AM)

quote:

My guess is that Eric has enough; he can correct me if I'm wrong. But if you can perhaps save those files (i.e., don't let autosaves be overwritten) it might not be a bad idea to do so.

Gil R. -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 6:30:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Temple

quote:

krrpt, were all your crashes in the Basic, Intermediate or Advanced rules set? Mine were all in the basic.

Interesting. Temple, have you tried the advanced game to see if sieges still crash? That would be potentially useful information.

Temple -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 6:35:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Interesting. Temple, have you tried the advanced game to see if sieges still crash? That would be potentially useful information.

I'm about to start reading the manual for the intermediate game rules, but it probably will be a little while before I can start up another game. The things I do for you people [;)]

Gil R. -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 7:04:20 AM)

Thanks, but I don't feel too much guilt: what you're doing reminds me of the legal phrase "inevitable discovery."

krrpt -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 7:31:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Temple

quote:

Basic game. I'll give an intermediate or advanced game a shot.

Queeg -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 10:21:34 AM)

I just pulled off a successful seige with no crash (Pensacola). Advanced game.

Could the game level be the difference? I assume the betas mostly played the Advanced game. Perhaps it would help if folks experiencing CTDs could list what game level they are playing.

usecase -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 10:55:46 AM)

The siege crashes don't happen every time. I've been making a note of the frequency - it's happening to me on a 1 in 6 ratio.

The first crash was when I was sieging Fort Donelson with two armies, but I've also seen it happen if there's combat during a siege, or movement through the province being besieged.

Attaching VS 2005's trusty debugger doesn't shed much light (I'm unsurprised) - it's an unhandled exception.

The game is not really playable as it stands, though perversely, that's not really stopping me - I'm learning US geography, and generally fiddling around. There's a lot to take in.

dude -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 11:30:02 AM)

When it crashes here's what I've noticed:

It always crashes for me if i'm still showing siegeworks but the target fort or city is empty of enemy troops.  It most likely emptied the target of enemy units but did not register this as a victory (I notice the same behavior with COG but it never crashed.)  If I go back a turn and set my forces to do an agressive seige for the last turn of seiging; it has taken care of the problem each time.

It looks like there are times when the target city is wiped out but the siegeworks are not removed (nor are you credited with the victory yet).  Then when the next turn is run and the siege is calcuated the game crashes.  (I've been able to predict this each time.)

....the manual (pg 60) does mention a Cancel Siege function for the siegeworks but it's missing in game.

Queeg -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 12:07:45 PM)

Are you guys playing Advanced rules?

vonSchnitter -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 2:03:44 PM)

Hi Chaps,

I am playing advanced as US.
Have seen 3 or 4 sieges so far (single fort, city, multiple fort) both by myself and the AI.
No crashes so far

Cheers

Temple -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 4:45:13 PM)

I'm going to try an intermediate level game today and see what happens. Sort of like walking through a minefield, just because nothing has gone boom yet.... [;)]

quote:

It always crashes for me if i'm still showing siegeworks but the target fort or city is empty of enemy troops.  It most likely emptied the target of enemy units but did not register this as a victory (I notice the same behavior with COG but it never crashed.)  If I go back a turn and set my forces to do an agressive seige for the last turn of seiging; it has taken care of the problem each time.

It looks like there are times when the target city is wiped out but the siegeworks are not removed (nor are you credited with the victory yet).  Then when the next turn is run and the siege is calcuated the game crashes.  (I've been able to predict this each time.)

dude, this is exactly what has been happening to me. Are you doing Basic rules still or are these crashes under Intermediate and/or Advanced rules?

Great_Ajax -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 5:17:12 PM)

I noticed in my crashing game that Knoxville has a siege icon but I lifted that siege by force last turn. It says Siege Strength: 0 Defender Strength: 0 and no enemy army is in the area.

Trey

Queeg -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 5:33:48 PM)

Guys, has anyone had a crash while playing the Advanced game? It's hard to tell from the above posts. But that could be important information.

Great_Ajax -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 5:56:21 PM)

Advanced Rules here.

Trey

oldspec4 -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 6:01:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: el hefe

Advanced Rules here.

Trey

Same for me

dude -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 9:08:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Temple

dude, this is exactly what has been happening to me. Are you doing Basic rules still or are these crashes under Intermediate and/or Advanced rules?

Semi - Advanced (customized the options at start greatly.)
My understanding though (just from playing and reading the manual) the only real difference between the levels is in which options are on/off when you start.  I can't call what I'm playing a true "advanced" game.  I checked verious things off and turned a few others on.  So it's more of a custom setting.  The underlying mechanics between the basic/interm/adv are all the same for sieges from what I can tell though.

Dude

Temple -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 9:21:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dude
Semi - Advanced (customized the options at start greatly.)
My understanding though (just from playing and reading the manual) the only real difference between the levels is in which options are on/off when you start. I can't call what I'm playing a true "advanced" game. I checked verious things off and turned a few others on. So it's more of a custom setting. The underlying mechanics between the basic/interm/adv are all the same for sieges from what I can tell though.

Dude

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, I'll still get the crashes in Intermediate or Advanced.

Ok Gil, we need that patch! Do you want pizza or chinese or something else deliveried? We don't want you or Eric or whomever to have to leave the office to go get food. And any loved ones to notify that you won't be home? Dry cleaning to pick up?

ericbabe -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 9:24:35 PM)

I think I've got the siege related CTD solved.  I have made a change to the code and have successfully run a few of the save files people had sent me that had been crashing.

ahauschild -> RE: Repeatable CTD (12/2/2006 9:33:10 PM)

Awesome Eric, is there any way we can compile a new exe or dll so we can try it out. Currently i cant seem to be able to play any games since the siege crash always gets me.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI