RE: Flags of our ... ACW Flag link to many EXCELLENT sites (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

christof139 -> RE: Flags of our ... ACW Flag link to many EXCELLENT sites (3/1/2007 9:59:22 PM)

quote:

That is a beautiful flag for sure. The Cross on one side and a sword on the other. Again, awesome flag and new to me.

thanks
mo reb

God Save The South

For every flag that comes down, 10,000 go up!
Deo Vindice!!

Irish Catholics, had to be a Cross and Sword, as bad as Polish Catholics, Episcopalians, and Southern Baptists etc.!!!

The game has a green Confed. Irish flag, from one of Kershaw's or the other Brigade that was at the stonewall at Fredericksburg I think, not sure, but almost sure.

Chris

Greyhunterlp -> RE: Flags of our ... Surprise!!! (3/1/2007 10:03:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

Surprise!!! Salamander with 3 front legs, might be interesting to those with a Science background and education. Nice pet, huh??

[image]local://upfiles/23184/77CE881154F34702ADD8940A6AD7C4C9.jpg[/image]

Actually thats an Axolotyl, the immature version of the salamander, the large gills and pale skin give that away. interestingly they sometimes don't progress to the salamander stage, (normally when there are pollutants in their water supply) and are one of the few species in the world to have developed an immature reproduction method.

so anyone with a biological background (ie my Zoology degree) can correct you ;)

christof139 -> RE: Flags of our ... Surprise!!! (3/1/2007 10:23:07 PM)

quote:

Actually thats an Axolotyl, the immature version of the salamander, the large gills and pale skin give that away. interestingly they sometimes don't progress to the salamander stage, (normally when there are pollutants in their water supply) and are one of the few species in the world to have developed an immature reproduction method.

so anyone with a biological background (ie my Zoology degree) can correct you ;)

Oh, thanx for the info., I didn't know that, but what needs correcting? You see, this is called humor, and a Salamnder indeed it is, no matter what stage of late developemnt it is in actually. I thought it was blind cave Salamander. I found the pic in a genetics study article, and that's where the 3rd front leg came from, purposefully grown there by Dr. Frankenstein or someone similar. Ha ha ha!! [X(][8|] Even the Geneticist called the poor little beastie a Salamander, but he had a sense of Good Humor I guess. Ha ha ha!! LOL [:D][:)][X(][8|]

I didn't know the Taxonomy of the poor little beast. Used to study Paleontology a bit in Undrgrad and Grad school but that was 23 or so years ago. Was branching off into Vertebrate Paleo, for Geology Grad school with help from a great fellow, a Dr. Cosgriff at WSU, but he unfortuantely died. He had discovered a large fossil of Crocidilus Cosgiffi in Australia many years ago now. It was a large and ancient Croc. Doc C. is buried in White Chapel Cemetery in Troy, Michigan, not too far from the large and white Polar Bear Monument of the 339th Infantry Regiment., those Michigan and Wisconsin but mainly from the Detroit area fellows that fought the Bolsheviks around Murmansk and thereabotus after the end of WWI.

Good night, or morning, whatever, Chris [>:][>:][>:][>:]

Greyhunterlp -> RE: Flags of our ... Surprise!!! (3/1/2007 11:45:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139
I thought it was blind cave Salamander. I found the pic in a genetics study article, and that's where the 3rd front leg came from, purposefully grown there by Dr. Frankenstein or someone similar. Ha ha ha!! [X(][8|] Even the Geneticist called the poor little beastie a Salamander, but he had a sense of Good Humor I guess. Ha ha ha!! LOL [:D][:)][X(][8|]

Well, I won't get technical, but its an axolotyl because it can breed, if it did become an adult then it would be a salamander.

and as a Research Assistant, I can tell you that I'm amazed that the scientist even noticed the third leg, let alone know what speicies hes working with. thats normally left for us Igors.

christof139 -> RE: Flags of our ... Surprise!!! (3/2/2007 12:46:23 PM)

quote:

Well, I won't get technical, but its an axolotyl because it can breed, if it did become an adult then it would be a salamander.

and as a Research Assistant, I can tell you that I'm amazed that the scientist even noticed the third leg, let alone know what speicies hes working with. thats normally left for us Igors.

The Scientist/Genetisist purposefully grew the leg as part of ongoing research for human limb replacement. Salamanders and simialr animals can replace lost limbs, and we can now do this to a minor and partial effect with humans. The lead researchers in this project are of course Doctors.

And yes, you can get technical concerning the stages of developement of all kinds of beasties because it is interesting and I have been exposed and studied a bit of it myself years ago, and I enjoy the knowledge and learning and re-learning etc.

Chris

christof139 -> RE: Flags of our ... Surprise!!! (3/2/2007 2:17:00 PM)

quote:

You spelt Axolotl wrong as AXOLOTYL, and Axolotyl is a fish, not a salamnder exhibiting neoteny as Axolotl is. Chris

AXOLOTYL
Related to the Cichlid family of Africa and Asia it has become popular with fish keepers around the world. This strangely named fish can be found with a variety of different markings including: stripes (Tiger Oscar) and there is also an albino form. Although aggressive to other fish it is not a fierce predator like the Piranha but will eat a wide range of foods.

http://www.amazonworld.co.uk/fish.html#axolotyl

The Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) is a large Mexican salamander noted for its demonstration of neoteny, remaining in its aquatic larval form even as a sexually mature adult and not undergoing metamorphosis into a terrestrial form. The name axolotl comes from the Nahuatl language; in Spanish it is called ajolote. Also, axolotls have cousins often referred to as "mud puppies" that appear similar and are found throughout Mexico and in many places in the southern United States. Axolotls usually live more than 10 - 12
years. From good old Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

BTW, Mud Puppies stink and can give a person a nasty bite. They are indigenous or native here where I live, and sometimes can be caught when fishing for fish of all things.

christof139 -> RE: Flags of our ... Surprise!!! (3/2/2007 7:04:09 PM)

Alabama Flags: http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/flags/index.html

Chris

christof139 -> RE: Flags of our ... Surprise!!! (3/7/2007 3:16:18 AM)

USA 19th Indiana Voulunteer Infantry Regiment, Western Iron Brigade, Army of the Potomac. As mentioned earlier, this would be a great and unique flag to use for the Western Iron Brigade. Note the unique Great Star Pattern with the Eagle in the center. Similar to the flag that draped President Lincoln's coffin.

Oh, and here is the link again: http://www.bridgemanflags.com/19thIndiana

[image]local://upfiles/23184/CA03045DF5F843A3B0700EF107064491.jpg[/image]

cbclimber -> RE: Flags of our Great Great Great Great Great Grandfathers (3/8/2007 3:09:39 AM)

Here is a link for Confederate flags of Missouri.

http://www.rulen.com/moflag/

[image]local://upfiles/7570/B58FB710895D4F25AD248CF32B547F25.jpg[/image]

christof139 -> RE: Flags of our Great Great Great Great Great Grandfathers (3/8/2007 3:43:29 AM)

That's a good link. The game has the Van Dorn, State Guard, and the Red Cross Flags, but it doesn't have the Quantrell Flags, which at least one would be neat to have for a Cavalry unit.

The game unfortuantely doesn't allow you to assign flags to Raiders and Partisan units.

Chris

ericbabe -> RE: Flags of our Great Great Great Great Great Grandfathers (5/12/2007 1:15:41 AM)

<bump>

Odium -> RE: Flags of our Great Great Great Great Great Grandfathers (5/12/2007 7:33:54 PM)

I would always love more flags. Also, is there any way to have the flags in alphabetical order?

ericbabe -> RE: Flags of our Great Great Great Great Great Grandfathers (9/17/2007 3:34:17 AM)

<bump again>

Put flags in this thread.

RyanCrierie -> RE: Flags of our Great Great Great Great Great Grandfathers (9/17/2007 4:00:03 AM)

[img]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6338/minnesotaflagsn0.jpg[/img]
Minnesota Infantry Regimental Flag

By the way, I've emailed the Maryland State Archives to try and arrange a viewing of the MAryland Battle Flags collection in Annapolis.

RyanCrierie -> RE: Flags of our Great Great Great Great Great Grandfathers (9/20/2007 9:54:18 AM)

Following are from Osprey's three "Civil War Flags" books:

1st Maryland Cavalry, CSA

Louisana State Flag

Virginia Infantry Regimental Flag

Georgia Flag

Wisconscin Flag

HQ Flags for Union I and II Corps

HQ Flags for Union IX and X Corps

Flags for Union XIX and XX Corps and IV Corps

Flags for Union XXI Corps and the Army of the Potomac's Cavalry Corps

Flags for Union XXIV, XXIII, and XV Corps

[img]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6476/unionflagstd8.gif[/img]

RyanCrierie -> RE: Flags of our Great Great Great Great Great Grandfathers (10/2/2007 3:18:34 AM)

Link

Here's a webpage I put together listing the 24 Corps Flags ever done by the Union, plus a couple of other Union HQ Flags (the 13th Corps never got a Corps Badge)

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI