RE: American tactics, anyone? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Birth of America

MarkShot -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 5:20:25 PM)

One thing which should be pointed out here to readers ... is that those extracted tips posts were made at various points in the past with my comments being some of the oldest. In the meantime, that evil wizard, Pocus, has continuously been tweaking the AI both officially when it is on his task list to do so and often when it is not ... it's that AI which he affectionately refers to as "she" and sees in his dreams every night. Well, my point is that what might have been a killer vulnerability in the AI's play six months ago, may now prove to be a fatal trap for the player and prove to be his undoing. Beware Pocus' creation, she is as sneaky and evil as her creator. She lives to seduce and torment ... and then, to do it all again. Beware!

Pocus -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 6:01:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Hi Pocus, any idea why my game loads an shows a 1.11, I thought it would be 1.10?

Wrong label, same code. We will post the 1.10f (as it is stable) as the 1.11 patch to all websites wanting it :)

Pocus -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 6:04:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gibbon

All of these posts and discussions have been paste-and-copy from the AGEOD forum (http://www.ageod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9). I hope AGEOD won't mind, I thought they were quite appropriate.

They were written by respected members of the community, I tried to credit everyone.

I hope this helps. It could be a nice idea to compile them in a kinf of BoA tactical handbook.

Thanks much for the quotes Gibbon.

Pocus -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 6:09:21 PM)

I think you are going 'slightly' too far Mark, the AI is still a poor thing in being for me. If only she* knew half what Arjuna did with the COTA serie, I would be more than happy. But thanks anyways for the kind words, it is very encouraging and I will try to improve it much more for the next games...

*: true I like to nickame her 'Athena', the AGE project is supposed to stand for Adaptive Game Engine, but Athena Game Engine  is ok too [:D]

Joe D. -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 6:47:22 PM)

Got to be careful with the Internet ... it looks like anything you ever write will forever be available and eventual found by someone!

Markshot, since this was in reply to me, what exactly are you referring to?

Joe D. -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 6:54:15 PM)

Got to be careful with the Internet ... it looks like anything you ever write will forever be available and eventual found by someone!

Marshot, as this was in reply to me, what exactly are you referring to?
But as you were a BoA beta tester, did you ever win as the Colonials vs. Brit (enhanced) AI in scenario #8? Do you know anyone on your team that did?

MarkShot -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 8:19:43 PM)

Joe,

It was just a generic reply by clicking the reply button. I always just click on reply to the last post, since I display threads linear.

My point was that anything you every say and do will be available forever once it lands on the Internet, since Gibbon extracted some extensive posts by me (see above) from the AGEOD forums. In no way was I insulting or saying anything negative about you (or Gibbon, for that matter) ... just some musing.

---

Regarding my record with BoA, I have to confess that I have not had as much time as I would have liked to play the game especially the later patches. The best place to get some feedback on perceptions from the Beta Team would be over at the AGEOD forums ... I don't believe the majority of the team reads the threads over here.

I hope that helps.

---

Pocus,

You have to remember that Dave O'Connor and Paul Scobbel have been working on the AA engine for well over ten years. So, it is somewhat problematic comparing engine performance and accomplishments. However, as a toddler, it looks like AGE is going to be a child prodigy! :)

MarkShot -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 8:32:22 PM)

To illustrate further my point from above. In that GC game as the Colonials, I had managed to first pin and then destroy about 50% of the British ground strength in the Colonies in New York fairly early on. Of course, given that the British unlike the colonials have less of a renewable source of strength than the Colonials that was a devastating blow.

Anyway, shortly after highlighting that glorious victory in the Beta forum, both PhilT and Pocus were like ... "no, the colonials should not have been able to achieve such a victory". They set about tweaking AI, mechanics, and possibly force ratios so that I could not pull off such a thing again. So, BOA has been continuously evolving. Granted the AI does not learn, but Pocus does, and he keeps releasing patches.

Me, I am very used to this from five years testing with Panther Games. Whenever I win, it is automatically assumed that something is broken and they begin fixing things. Sometimes, I feel like the Rodney Dangerfield of beta testers; "I get no respect". :)

freeboy -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/13/2007 8:50:51 PM)

we love you/ " feel the love" hehe

von Beanie -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/15/2007 11:30:53 AM)

After playing about 10 to 12 games, I was finally able to beat the AI British on the "hard" level in the 1775 campaign. I think the most important key is to avoid major battles until after the French arrive. Instead, keep hitting the smaller British garrisons and then run away. Also take and garrison Detroit so that you can't lose suddenly. Against the AI, an invasion of Canada in 1776 can work, and if you can take Quebec before the winter, the AI will then try to besiege it and freeze to death in the inevitable blizzards. Trying to beat the AI on the "hard" level has been one of the most fun and challenging adventures in computer gaming I've had since Civ3 and Civ4 set on a hard level.

Pocus -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/15/2007 2:06:32 PM)

quote:

Trying to beat the AI on the "hard" level has been one of the most fun and challenging adventures in computer gaming I've had since Civ3 and Civ4 set on a hard level.

An ideal quote for the BoA website, thanks! [:D]

Pocus -> RE: American tactics, anyone? (2/15/2007 2:07:27 PM)

Is golden book a valid wording in english? Perhaps we should set one!

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI