Lots of questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Jam_USMC -> Lots of questions (5/17/2007 12:20:25 AM)

Just upgraded to Witp from UV and have spent hours perusing this forum but I still have a few questions I can't find answers to.

1. Is there a limit to how many troops can be at one base? Is there a detriment to having too many in one place?
2. What the heck does KB stand for? I think I understand that it represents a large Jap carrier group but I just can't figure out what the letters K and B stand for.
3. I am playing with Andrew's map 6.2 and and Nik 9.0. One problem I have is TF's cannot enter or leave Rangoon or Chittagong. I get the following whenever I order a TF to either enter or leave those ports: Endurance = 322/19998 in red letters. Everything else seems fine.

I am a newbie to this game and forum and would appreciate any help. I have a lot more questions but I thought I would keep my first post brief. Oh, and one last question. Should I respond to the Matrix Legion of Honor gentlemen as "The Honorable" or just plain "Sir?"[;)]

rogueusmc -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 12:28:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jam_USMC

Just upgraded to Witp from UV and have spent hours perusing this forum but I still have a few questions I can't find answers to.
Welcome Jarhead...

quote:

1. Is there a limit to how many troops can be at one base? Is there a detriment to having too many in one place?
Not really but there are needs as to support for who is there...
quote:

2. What the heck does KB stand for? I think I understand that it represents a large Jap carrier group but I just can't figure out what the letters K and B stand for.
KB is Kido Butai or Death Star as some call it...
quote:

3. I am playing with Andrew's map 6.2 and and Nik 9.0. One problem I have is TF's cannot enter or leave Rangoon or Chittagong. I get the following whenever I order a TF to either enter or leave those ports: Endurance = 322/19998 in red letters. Everything else seems fine.
I'm not up to speed on this...I play stock primarily...

quote:

I am a newbie to this game and forum and would appreciate any help. I have a lot more questions but I thought I would keep my first post brief. Oh, and one last question. Should I respond to the Matrix Legion of Honor gentlemen as "The Honorable" or just plain "Sir?"[;)]
Sir will be fine[:D]

Semper Fi,
Lee

jwilkerson -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 12:33:35 AM)

quote:

KB is Kido Butai or Death Star ...

And Kido Butai is variously translated as "Striking Force" or "Mobile Force" ... which in our context means the Japanese Carrier Force when deployed in (mostly) one massed (group of) formation (s).

And then "Death Star" usually refers to the game attributes of this formation which include its invulnerable CAP and its death (to ships) dealing blows!
[:D]

Big B -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 12:34:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

quote:

Welcome Jarhead...

quote:

Not really but there are needs as to support for who is there...
quote:

KB is Kido Butai or Death Star as some call it...

It was the mobile striking force composed of the 6 big Japanese Fleet Carriers (Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu, Shokaku, and Zuikaku).
The others like Shoho, Ryujo. etc, are light carriers (CVLs) and when combined are often referred to as the "mini KB"
quote:

quote:

I'm not up to speed on this...I play stock primarily...

It is most likely (almost certainly) because you need the latest PWHex file from Andrew's website

quote:

quote:

Sir will be fine[:D]

Semper Fi,
Lee

tsimmonds -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 12:54:42 AM)

quote:

You're probably using the wrong pwhex.dat file. Unlike the map files, which go in the Matrix/War in the Pacific/Art folder, the pwhex.dat file goes in the Matrix/War in the Pacific folder.You should find the one that came with the map you are using, and copy it to that location. Note that if you do this, you will overwrite the pwhex.dat that is currently in use, which is probably the stock file. No problem, unless you want to switch back to stock at some point.

You may find it worthwhile to have at least two installs of the game on your machine, one completely un-modded, so you have something to refer to for seeing what the game is supposed to look like.[;)]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 12:54:57 AM)

quote:

Oh, and one last question. Should I respond to the Matrix Legion of Honor gentlemen as "The Honorable" or just plain "Sir?"

It is rare to have such a smile on my face.......... what a great question. Those who have inhabited this forum for a while will find such a question a refreshing view as we normally wade though comments about each other that are 'somewhat less' respectful!

Welcome and ask what you will, despite the tongue in cheek abuse that is often hurled about its actually a really nice place, and always my first port of call after I have checked for any new moves on email!

Roger

m10bob -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 1:08:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

quote:

Oh, and one last question. Should I respond to the Matrix Legion of Honor gentlemen as "The Honorable" or just plain "Sir?"

It is rare to have such a smile on my face.......... what a great question. Those who have inhabited this forum for a while will find such a question a refreshing view as we normally wade though comments about each other that are 'somewhat less' respectful!

Welcome and ask what you will, despite the tongue in cheek abuse that is often hurled about its actually a really nice place, and always my first port of call after I have checked for any new moves on email!

Roger

How true!!!...Finest group of amateur historians and military types are on this forum, and the fella you arm wrestle today, will be a friend tomorrow....

I kinda like the idea of being addressed by title, other than "Hey YOUSE GUYS!"[:D]

Terminus -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 1:14:46 AM)

"Exalted Overlord" will be fine...[:'(]

pauk -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 1:18:27 AM)

quote:

Should I respond to the Matrix Legion of Honor gentlemen as "The Honorable" or just plain "Sir?"[;)]

San is enough! So... pauk-san, Laurent-san, Halsey-san, rogueumsc-san.....[:D]

EDIT: oh yes, Terminus-spam is also requested![:'(]

Terminus -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 1:22:23 AM)

Bah... Come back when you advance to the top of page 2, Tiny...[:'(]

dtravel -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 4:54:07 AM)

quote:

Oh, and one last question. Should I respond to the Matrix Legion of Honor gentlemen as "The Honorable" or just plain "Sir?"[;)]

Well, since I am both disreputable and disrespectful, it probably doesn't matter what you call me.

rogueusmc -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 5:02:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

Oh, and one last question. Should I respond to the Matrix Legion of Honor gentlemen as "The Honorable" or just plain "Sir?"[;)]

Well, since I am both disreputable and disrespectful, it probably doesn't matter what you call me.
Here is the one man here that is honest with himself...you are a man right?[:D]

Jam_USMC -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 6:33:46 AM)

Still frustrated at not being able to reinforce/supply Rangoon by sea, though it does present a unique situation, I thought I would check back here to see I had any responses to my newbie questions. I had eleven responses. Thanks, guys. That's cool. Hopefully soon I'll know enough to repay the favor.

I kind of thought there was no limit on how many troops could be in one place, I was just trying to imagine what it would be like to really have several divisions on an atoll. I was thinking there would be a limit on that since it would be unrealistic.
KB, Kido Butai, Strike Force, Mobile Force. I knew I understood what everyone one was referring to when they said "KB" but it was driving me flippin nuts trying to figure out the letters stood for. I have a stack of WWII reference and other books and could not find anything.  Maybe I can get some sleep tonight. Thanks. [&o]

I will try and find that Pwhex.dat file though I am almost positive it wasn't in the map download. That map is great and I don't want to give it up.

More questions coming soon, Honorable Sirs.

m10bob -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 2:40:27 PM)

quote:

Still frustrated at not being able to reinforce/supply Rangoon by sea, though it does present a unique situation, I thought I would check back here to see I had any responses to my newbie questions. I had eleven responses. Thanks, guys. That's cool. Hopefully soon I'll know enough to repay the favor.

I kind of thought there was no limit on how many troops could be in one place, I was just trying to imagine what it would be like to really have several divisions on an atoll. I was thinking there would be a limit on that since it would be unrealistic.
KB, Kido Butai, Strike Force, Mobile Force. I knew I understood what everyone one was referring to when they said "KB" but it was driving me flippin nuts trying to figure out the letters stood for. I have a stack of WWII reference and other books and could not find anything.  Maybe I can get some sleep tonight. Thanks. [&o]

I will try and find that Pwhex.dat file though I am almost positive it wasn't in the map download. That map is great and I don't want to give it up.

More questions coming soon, Honorable Sirs.

Gyrene.....go here:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/kaigun.htm

Andrew Brown -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 2:53:38 PM)

quote:

Scenarios need to be converted for use with my WitP map, and there isn't a conversion of Nikmod 9 available yet, unless someone else made one that I am not aware of. So if you are playing Nikmod 9 you need to play it on the stock map. You don't have to start the scenario again to do that - you just need to switch back to the stock map and keep playing. Everything should work OK after that.

I won't be doing a conversion of Nikmod 9 until my next map update is released.

Andrew

Feinder -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 6:05:09 PM)

The other thing you might hear occasionally is "mega-KB"

KB = CVs (altho the pokey ones like Junyo & Hiyo are usually NOT included in KB because they're too slow).

mini-KB = CVLs + CVEs, plus probably Junyo and Hiyo.

mega-KB = Every frickin' flight deck in the arsenal massed into one hex.  This isn't just "The Death Star".  This is the "fully operational Death Star" from Return of the Jedi with it's new and improved force field; with Han, Leah, Chewie and the teddy bears all dead on the planet down below, and Luke Skywalker decided to join dear old Papa Vader and Uncle Palpatine to take over and rule the galaxy.

Suffice to say, Mega-KB is some bad mojo.

-F-

String -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 6:10:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

KB = CVs (altho the pokey ones like Junyo & Hiyo are usually NOT included in KB because they're too slow).

mega-KB = Every frickin' flight deck in the arsenal massed into one hex. This isn't just "The Death Star". This is the "fully operational Death Star" from Return of the Jedi with it's new and improved force field; with Han, Leah, Chewie and the teddy bears all dead on the planet down below, and Luke Skywalker decided to join dear old Papa Vader and Uncle Palpatine to take over and rule the galaxy.

-F-

Except after late '43 when can throw 11+ fleet carriers armed with hellcats and corsairs (brits) at it. [:D]

rtrapasso -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 6:10:52 PM)

quote:

mega-KB = Every frickin' flight deck in the arsenal massed into one hex.  This isn't just "The Death Star".  This is the "fully operational Death Star" from Return of the Jedi with it's new and improved force field; with Han, Leah, Chewie and the teddy bears all dead on the planet down below, and Luke Skywalker decided to join dear old Papa Vader and Uncle Palpatine to take over and rule the galaxy.

-F-

[image]local://upfiles/7543/DBE0821A809F41019EDADA1D8586608F.gif[/image]

"BWUHAHAHA... SINK THOSE PUNY ALLIED SHIPS!!!" [img]http://bestsmileys.com/evil/3.gif[/img]

Feinder -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 6:14:35 PM)

quote:

Except after late '43 when can throw 11+ fleet carriers armed with hellcats and corsairs (brits) at it.

One day, the force will be with me!

But until such time, I put my children to bed with frightening stories that Erstad's mega-KB will come after them if they don't eat their vegetables and stay in their beds at night!

-F-

Oldguard1970 -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 6:51:15 PM)

Tsk, Tsk, JFB Pauk - Shouldn't it be Pauk-sama, Laurent-sama, etc.?

OldGuard - AFB wannabe (Too much of a rookie to be any kind of FB just yet.)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

quote:

Should I respond to the Matrix Legion of Honor gentlemen as "The Honorable" or just plain "Sir?"[;)]

San is enough! So... pauk-san, Laurent-san, Halsey-san, rogueumsc-san.....[:D]

EDIT: oh yes, Terminus-spam is also requested![:'(]

demonterico -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 8:14:06 PM)

There Jam,  Now see what you've started.[:D]

Ursa MAior -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 8:47:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: demonterico

There Jam,  Now see what you've started.[:D]

It is nothing compared to f4f vs zero or the sherman vs tiger thread. At those times people-whose-name-shall-not-be-louldy-spoken-out really heated the flames up!

Mike Scholl -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 8:56:02 PM)

quote:

-F-

TRUE..., and also historically odd given that the Japanese were not able to "fill their flightdecks" at any time from 12/07/41 to 12/31/42 due to lack of aircraft and trained pilots.

DaveB -> RE: Lots of questions (5/17/2007 9:22:39 PM)

Oh woe,
now you've persuaded them they're all respectable, they'll be imitating Yoda next....
As for stacking - you can put loads of troops, planes and so forth into a hex no bother, but if you don't have 'support' for them you'll suffer all sorts of penalties, ditto if your supply isn't large enough. Click on a base and you'll find stats aplenty, down the left side these include air support available and air support required, support available/required, suppy avaialable and required. (Plus other stuff, natch). If you drop below required amounts then penalties, especially on ops, occur - it's a case of sending 10,000 men to a place but only 1000 ration packs...it doesn't take you long to realise that your troops aren't doing too well.

You can spreadsheet stuff to figure it out I guess, but my rough rule of thumb is that you can overstack (ie put more troops/units into a hex than the supply, support or air support says you should) temporarily when you need to move things around, but you can't do it for very long without seeing a sort of law of diminishing returns kick in. Eventually you figure it pays to ensure your requirements are either exceeded or met, it's more a case of the game forces you to organise stuff properly and can be quite heavy hand in penalising those who cannot be bothered to organise supply and support. You go from being someone who thinks about how many carriers to form up for the next raid to thinking about which units to preposition with how much fuel and supply so that you will be able to make a decent foray in a month or two.

A brilliant game for those whose natural tendency is to incorporate their breakfast cereal consumption into an Access database linked to an updating chart in Excel.

Jam_USMC -> RE: Lots of questions (5/18/2007 4:21:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Scenarios need to be converted for use with my WitP map, and there isn't a conversion of Nikmod 9 available yet, unless someone else made one that I am not aware of. So if you are playing Nikmod 9 you need to play it on the stock map. You don't have to start the scenario again to do that - you just need to switch back to the stock map and keep playing. Everything should work OK after that.

I won't be doing a conversion of Nikmod 9 until my next map update is released.

Andrew

I think I may have passed some bad gouge. It was probably Nik 8.x. But it it was scenario 125 with 1.60 database changes, whatever that means. Anyway at some ridiculous hour last night I blew the whole thing up, re-installed the game and started again vanilla. It was still December '41 after all. Next time I will take it one add-on at a time and test its compatibility. I just downloaded and installed too much too fast and probably incorrectly. Right for now I just want to play...or fight...or you know.

Yamato hugger -> RE: Lots of questions (5/18/2007 4:32:41 AM)

quote:

No no no no no no no no no .....

You do NOT want to start off like this. Never EVER do this. They will go on for 100 pages with ammunition like this. Bad newbie, BAD!!

(Edit: why do jar heads always put it in their screen names?)

Jam_USMC -> RE: Lots of questions (5/18/2007 4:58:00 AM)

quote:

No no no no no no no no no .....

You do NOT want to start off like this. Never EVER do this. They will go on for 100 pages with ammunition like this. Bad newbie, BAD!!

(Edit: why do jar heads always put it in their screen names?)

Finally, I get to answer a question.

Because we can.[:D]

Now I will humbly take my thrashing from Yamoto.[&o]

Blackhorse -> RE: Lots of questions (5/18/2007 5:02:49 AM)

quote:

You can call them "Sir", marine . . . they don't work for a living.

Jam_USMC -> RE: Lots of questions (5/18/2007 5:06:31 AM)

Next question(s):

I found and printed out the Estimated Loading/Unloading Rates document from UV. Are the numbers still valid for Witp? And, is there anything similar for troops? I can't seem find any loading schedule for troops. I understand that the number of troops and port size and type of ship all matter, I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would say, for example: 1000 troops at a size 3 port loading onto AP's will take X number of days?

ny59giants -> RE: Lots of questions (5/18/2007 5:14:23 AM)

The best thing to do is read the "Must Read" thread by VSWG above this section as it has a lot of links to good threads that will answer most of your questions.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI