Supplies: Air, Smoke, Ammo... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series

harley9699 -> Supplies: Air, Smoke, Ammo... (6/10/2007 9:46:21 AM)

This'll sound fatheaded I know, but here it is anyway: How come with the unit info displayed ("U"), I can't see MY info? All three of the values for air power, smoke and ammo are ?/0 or ?/69 (?/number) etc.
WF campaign, fog of war, not extreme. Understand not being able to see theirs, why not mine? Am running out of ammo faster than I should be. Understand resupply and Command Control. Can't figure out why I don't have numbers though. Thanks.

1925frank -> RE: Supplies: Air, Smoke, Ammo... (6/12/2007 1:06:01 AM)

If I'm not mistaken, the numbers you see are yours.  The numbers appear before or after the slash based upon whether you are allied or axis and not based upon whether you are the manual player or the computer player.  I don't remember whether the allies come before or after the slash.

1925frank -> RE: Supplies: Air, Smoke, Ammo... (6/12/2007 1:32:06 AM)

Unless the game has changed, the supply number you see (69) won't change or diminish.  Supply for nonartillery units is determined first by proximity to HQ units and, if that fails, by the supply number in the Unit box, here 69.  Supply for artillery units is determined strictly by the number in the Unit box, here 69.  The 69 means a 69 percent chance of supply or resupply. 

harley9699 -> RE: Supplies: Air, Smoke, Ammo... (6/12/2007 8:00:16 AM)

Oh. I thought the number before the slash was the amount remaining, and the number after was the total for the unit. So, i. e., I thought the two numbers beside 'ammo' would read something more like 35/69....where that unit would have 35 ammo points left our of 69 available, whereas mine reads: ?/69 (for instance). Same for air power and smoke then. Guess I missed something somewhere or am used to other games. So, the only way to tell, say, ammo amount is by looking at the top left of the counter to see if you're low or out? Was looking for a more exact/precise amount.

1925frank -> RE: Supplies: Air, Smoke, Ammo... (6/12/2007 5:51:32 PM)

Right.  Your units will always be one of two things:  (1) In Supply or (2) Out of Supply.  If the unit is in supply, it has greater strength.  If it is out of supply, its fighting ability is impaired, but it still can attack and assault, but it will do so at reduced levels.  I think direct fire is reduced by one-half and assaults are reduced by one-quarter.

There are two aspects to supply:  (1) Maintaining supply if your unit is already in supply, and (2) if your unit is out of supply, resupplying the unit.

There are two types of units:  (1) nonartillery and (2) artillery. 

For nonartillery units, maintaining supply is first checked by the proximity of the parent HQ.  If that fails, maintaining supply is then checked by the number in the Unit window number (69).  If the unit is out of supply, the only way to resupply is through the HQ.  If the parent HQ is distroyed or far away, you're in trouble.  If your immediate HQ is destroyed, the unit will look to the next level HQ for supply.  For example, if your Battalion HQ is destroyed, the unit will look to the regimental HQ. 

For artillery units, maintaining and resupply are both based on the Unit window number (69).  When an artillery unit is out of supply, it cannot fire.

If HQs move, they are considered out of supply for the next turn and cannot maintain or resupply other units, so you don't want to move the HQs if you don't have to. 

The old manuals said HQs maintain and resuppy the same as nonartillery units.  That is, they have to look to their parent HQ to maintain and resupply.  I'm not sure that's correct, because I frequently play with only a battalion HQ, and it goes out of supply and resupplies.  I think HQs function like artillery units.

This is how I understand maintaining supply and resupplying.  If I'm mistaken, I'm all ears and eager to learn. 

1925frank -> RE: Supplies: Air, Smoke, Ammo... (6/12/2007 6:27:23 PM)

One revision.  The two statuses are:  (1) In Supply and (2) Low on Supply (not out of supply).  If a hollow bullet appears in the upper left corner of the unit display, the unit is low on supply.  I don't think the game has an out of supply status, although, as mentioned earlier, when an artillery unit is low on supply, it can't fire.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI