Premature Strike Results (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War

HobbesACW -> Premature Strike Results (6/11/2007 11:55:24 PM)

Hi folks, I just noticed that the strike screen shows the result of the strike in the bottom right corner before the little
plane graphic makes it's run which takes away all the suspense of watching the animation for me.

I don't think any of the options disable this? Seems a big shame if not.
Cheers, Chris

blastpop -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 1:27:18 AM)

I had noticed that as well. It doesn't bother me tho I can understand it will be a problem for some. If I know a bomber is being destroyed I've been trying to guess which one gets bagged... [:D]

Gregor_SSG -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 1:56:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hobbes

Hi folks, I just noticed that the strike screen shows the result of the strike in the bottom right corner before the little
plane graphic makes it's run which takes away all the suspense of watching the animation for me.

Cheers, Chris

We can have a look at this, but choreographing the strike screen is already a pretty involved exercise so we'll have to see.

Gregor

Toby42 -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 2:08:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG

quote:

Cheers, Chris

We can have a look at this, but choreographing the strike screen is already a pretty involved exercise so we'll have to see.

Gregor

I watch the screen before the animation. That is the easiest for me. You can't please everyone!!!

Erik Rutins -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 3:18:17 AM)

Yeah, I consider that a feature actually - sometimes I don't want to watch the animation all the way through if they're going to be all misses.

Brigz -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 3:47:04 AM)

So they did retain the attack animations from the original game. I certainly hope this is something that can be disabled and that there is an optional fast result screen available. When I first got the original CAW game the attack animation was kind of cool at first but after a while it got very boring and fortunately I was able to turn off this feature within the game. I hope we will have this option in the new release as I'm very interested in buying this new version. I'm sure after the new-ness wears off other players will see what I mean.

Toby42 -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 3:48:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

So they did retain the attack animations from the original game. I certainly hope this is something that can be disabled and that there is an optional fast result screen available. When I first got the original CAW game the attack animation was kind of cool at first but after a while it got very boring and fortunately I was able to turn off this feature within the game. I hope we will have this option in the new release as I'm very interested in buying this new version. I'm sure after the new-ness wears off other players will see what I mean.

I'm pretty sure that there is an option to turn it off...

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 3:55:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yeah, I consider that a feature actually - sometimes I don't want to watch the animation all the way through if they're going to be all misses.

Actually, I think that it'd be kind of cool if the animations were slowed down a tad, sort of maximize the pure dread of it all. Of course, you'd also want to have the results posted after the on-screen fireworks.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

themattcurtis -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 4:03:39 AM)

There is a strike screen speed option under game options, accordin to the manual. I don't get to try the game for another day as I've gotten to crash for a couple of nights at the girlfriend's (which is cool too)[:)]. But the manual says it's there.

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 4:08:04 AM)

I've got it set to "slow," but those badboys still go zipping across the screen. I've wondered if its tied to my CPU speed somehow.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

WHLNH -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 4:36:47 AM)

Well, they do have graphics for the attack, but they did not retain THE attack animations from the original game. The new graphics are better. I think, but could be wrong, you can turn them off.

Bill

Toby42 -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 4:58:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WHLNH
Well, they do have graphics for the attack, but they did not retain THE attack animations from the original game. The new graphics are better. I think, but could be wrong, you can turn them off.

Bill

You can turn them off, but it's better with them on....

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 5:26:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale
You can turn them off, but it's better with them on....

Hell, I wish the developers would show it all, including the fighters, the whole enchilada.

Combat Mission's animation is simply a replay of the turn's events that are displayed once all the numbers get crunched.

There's no reason that you couldn't do something similar with the CaW engine, albeit with a 2D, overhead map.

PoE

Gregor_SSG -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 6:18:55 AM)

If you turn Advanced Options on you can turn off the Strike Screen display. In that case you just get an event log entry and a report showing the results of the strikes.

As others have said, the animations on the strike screen are much improved over the original game, and you can zip through them pretty quickly, so you may want to stick with them.

Gregor

TheHellPatrol -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 6:24:22 AM)

I like it the way it is, if my Allied bombers are trying[8|] to hit a TG and i know it's going to be a bunch of misses i can just click until something good comes up[;)]. If it's a Carrier flight i just don't look at the bottom right screen to keep up the suspense.
I agree with PoE that more animations such as fighters/CAP would be even better[8D].

Adam Parker -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 10:43:08 AM)

quote:

TOTALLY AGREE! [:)]

Edit: And after now being aware of this thanks to this thread [;)] I'm now getting used to it. Like Hell Patrol said...

Still it does waste the suspense of the action unfolding I suppose.

carnifex -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 7:24:00 PM)

if you see the strike results and they look boring then click the mouse - that will skip the animation

HobbesACW -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/12/2007 9:45:26 PM)

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Chris

Gregor

Thanks. Obviously people have different opinions but if there was an option (even activated by file edit of a flag) of making this window blank I would much prefer that.

Cheers, Chris

MasterServer -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/13/2007 2:08:29 AM)

I am not a player and have never seen the game.

However, is it possible to consider the premature raid result as maybe a radio report back from your raiders or observer craft - incomplete in detail, but a summary action report, but an intelligence report none the less.

Of course you will not get to know the details of why you failed or suceeded until you get the full debriefing (later).

Adam Parker -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/13/2007 3:32:46 AM)

Not really MS. The way it is working is that the strike screen has 3 parts. The main top part of the screen is a big top down depiction of the TG's ships steaming along. The incomming squadrons fly over one at a time and drop their ordnance, cause damage explosions from hits and take damage themselves from flak, CAP.

The bottom left of the screen shows a 2d side-on picture of the target ship of each wave with a colored damage bar that starts green for good health and spreads black for permanent damage and orange for fire. With full enemy damage FOW on it can go solid red.

To the right of that, is a depiction of the attacking squadron with ordnance icons shaded or full color. Here the success of each ordnance's hit is shown (an ordance icon will be full color) and aircraft damage indicated in terms of hits/KIA.

Now as it stands, as each squadron makes its run, the full results are shown in the 2 bottom areas of the screen straight off. Say the squadron makes a hit. The ship picture will show fire, the damage bar will change and there will be a full color indicator of the ordance that hit. With that known, the squadron then makes its appearance on the top-down screen and sure enough, you'll see a ship get hit once. It kinda spoils the anticipation of watching the 2d top down action unfold.

So really there are at least three solutions:

1. Just show the 2d top down part of screen, no bottom fields (but it is kinda nice seeing the fire and damage bars grow).
2. Delay the appearance of the bottom fields until after the action on the top down screen is over.
3. Leave everything as is and give us more scenarios and random TG composition in existing scens!

MasterServer -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/13/2007 5:26:55 PM)

Thanks AP!  From what I have read here, this sounds like a great game.

CptWaspLuca -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/14/2007 12:03:31 AM)

Hi folks

I'm a new CAW player/old Matrix fan and reviewer :)

Congrats for a great game.

My 2 cents about this post: I would love an option to make the result unpredictable till I see the animation results.
- If I don't click during th attack the damage bar and the results in terms of aircraft losses are visible only at the end of the animation, or in the instant they drop the ordnance.
- If I click during the animation I see immediately the results.
- If I click at the end of the animation or if I double click I go to the next combat.
Please I would love this!

I have a small question too: it seems that most times the damage bar don't changes even with some hits. I think the bar represents damage seen by the attacking pilot, and not damage after the attack in the animation screen: I'm right? Can you explain this better? If I see a full red bar why are pilots spending their ammo against an already sinking target?
Thank you very much

Jam_USMC -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/14/2007 12:12:51 AM)

I too wish there were an option to turn off the results screen. But that said, my favorite touch of the whole animation screen is watching the torpedoes slither toward their target and waiting to see if they go boom-boom.

Gregor_SSG -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/14/2007 3:16:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CptWasp

Hi folks

I'm a new CAW player/old Matrix fan and reviewer :)

Congrats for a great game.

My 2 cents about this post: I would love an option to make the result unpredictable till I see the animation results.
- If I don't click during th attack the damage bar and the results in terms of aircraft losses are visible only at the end of the animation, or in the instant they drop the ordnance.
- If I click during the animation I see immediately the results.
- If I click at the end of the animation or if I double click I go to the next combat.
Please I would love this!

I have a small question too: it seems that most times the damage bar don't changes even with some hits. I think the bar represents damage seen by the attacking pilot, and not damage after the attack in the animation screen: I'm right? Can you explain this better? If I see a full red bar why are pilots spending their ammo against an already sinking target?
Thank you very much

We'll think about all the suggestions on this topic and see what can be done. As for the damage bars, think of the full red bar as a target so damaged that is going to be reported as sunk. It may actually be sunk, it may sink later or it might scrape through, but it looks bad from an aircraft so that's what will be reported.

Gregor

CptWaspLuca -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/14/2007 4:01:59 PM)

Hi, thank you for the answer Gregor.
Can you help me about the meaning of the damage bar? It represents the status of the ship before the attack in the animation screen, or the result of the current attack? If the second is right: why the damage don't change at all during the attack?

82nd Airborne -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/14/2007 6:18:47 PM)

Weird, but on my screen the animations and lower ship profile etc are in sync. the bombs go off simultaneously in both screens.

CptWaspLuca -> RE: Premature Strike Results (6/14/2007 11:13:58 PM)

ok... so we my suppose:
when the damage bar remains unchanged the damage/effectiveness of the attack is unknown?
we will discover it in the sequent run?

Adam Parker -> Premature Strikeulation (6/19/2007 4:18:24 AM)

quote:

We'll think about all the suggestions on this topic and see what can be done.

After quite a bit of play now - that's a good thing to be said about a game for me - here's my latest thoughts regarding Premature Strikeulation and I think I've developed a bad habit now!

1. Once the strike screen pops up I immediately look at the bottom right of the squadron picture to see if the ordance is lit up (for a hit) or not.

2. If not lit up I click the screen to make the next wave come in.

3. If lit up I let the screen play out and watch/enjoy the explosions.

Have I become lazy or is this now actually a good thing?

1. It speeds up play.

2. It now makes me wonder if it would be better to actually wait for each strike to play out with the strike results delayed until hits are made?

Logic suggests the later. Machiavelli suggests the former.

jazman -> RE: Premature Strikeulation (6/19/2007 7:08:26 AM)

Adam,

I've found that I'm doing exactly what you're doing.

e_barkmann -> RE: Premature Strikeulation (6/19/2007 7:22:35 AM)

I look at the results straight away and gloat at the animation if I've managed to hit something.

If nothing but bad news, I click away the animation immediately.

Call me shallow...

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI