RE: Premature Strikeulation (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War

Gregor_SSG -> RE: Premature Strikeulation (6/19/2007 7:22:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG

We'll think about all the suggestions on this topic and see what can be done.

After quite a bit of play now - that's a good thing to be said about a game for me - here's my latest thoughts regarding Premature Strikeulation and I think I've developed a bad habit now!

1. Once the strike screen pops up I immediately look at the bottom right of the squadron picture to see if the ordance is lit up (for a hit) or not.

2. If not lit up I click the screen to make the next wave come in.

3. If lit up I let the screen play out and watch/enjoy the explosions.

Have I become lazy or is this now actually a good thing?

1. It speeds up play.

2. It now makes me wonder if it would be better to actually wait for each strike to play out with the strike results delayed until hits are made?

Logic suggests the later. Machiavelli suggests the former.

I have always used the screen in the same way. I don't want to watch a bunch of hopeless incompetents miss with every single bomb/torpedo, when with a single mouse click, a bunch of heroes *might* appear and do a much better job!

Gregor

AVisme -> RE: Premature Strikeulation (6/19/2007 7:47:57 AM)

In multi-player I use chat for the wave after wave of land based whiffle bombing to *taunt my opponent a second time

* best J.Cleese accent

CptWaspLuca -> RE: Premature Strikeulation (6/19/2007 2:55:17 PM)

I still don't like this "prescience" ;(

NefariousKoel -> RE: Premature Strikeulation (6/19/2007 7:07:50 PM)

Yeah, I'd rather it not show up until after the aircraft have made their runs too.  It builds tension.  Now I can't stop myself from staring at the bottom right of the screen and not watching all the action.

Triarii -> RE: Premature Strikeulation (6/19/2007 10:50:44 PM)

I am also skipping the animations given the result of a quick glance at the bottom of the screen.

Two other points

I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere but the results are also prematurely shown in surface action animations. Clicking on your/enemy vessels will indicate whether or not they will be sunk/collect more damage by the end of the 5 minute phase. I mean you really do just know that those long lance are going to hit.

Examining the report screens for airstrikes from the bottom task bar of the main screen -The damage shown is current - not end of the strike being examined. I mentioned this in my 2nd Coral Sea AAR

None of these affect gameplay but I would suggest the option to turn off the 'bar damage reports' as a greater FOW challenge. I mean the option to watch just the animation and have reported hits but no graphics of damage status bars in either animation or in strike reports. You decide whether or not your glass is half full or half empty vis a vis the damage just inflicted.

I can see this adding another element of frisson - Did we sink that carrier? Can it still fly off? Launch another strike now or await the next search plane report?

I imagine removing the damage bars rather than amending them is a relatively simple fix in the code and one that could be toggled as an FOW option.

What do you think?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI