Age Of Rifles?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

m10bob -> Age Of Rifles?? (6/12/2007 2:57:44 PM)

Gee...Has anybody here ever heard of this fine game?

I have heard it would be a nice game to see again??[:D]

Hertston -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/12/2007 6:50:44 PM)

If by 'Age of Rifles' you mean the game that always gets the most mentions every time there is a "which oldie but goodie should Matrix smarten up and release next" thread then, nope, never heard of it. [;)]

LitFuel -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 12:47:47 AM)

yeah, out of all the old wargames they could re-release or remake this one seems like a no-brainer...who's sitting on the rights to this? I would be happy with a XP re-release.

m10bob -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 1:05:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

If by 'Age of Rifles' you mean the game that always gets the most mentions every time there is a "which oldie but goodie should Matrix smarten up and release next" thread then, nope, never heard of it. [;)]

Hmmmm...81 "hits" in the forum already..Must be some interest in this title, hmmm?[&o]

Capitaine -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 1:22:20 AM)

Of all the old wargame titles, AOR is the one I've wanted the most, and never gets done. [:(]

I can't believe it is that much more difficult to obtain the rights for it than any of the others...

Arctic Blast -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 3:05:36 AM)

Yeah, it was an SSI title...which means Ubisoft...which means keeps dreaming, boys.

terbare -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 6:35:01 AM)

If we can only dream of age of rifles...I wonder is there a substitute
out there?

m10bob -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 2:08:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: terbare

If we can only dream of age of rifles...I wonder is there a substitute
out there?

Anybody who has ever played AGE OF RIFLES knows the answer is......no.

The possibilities which might be given a remake are limitless.................
In that the game was truly a "wargame construction set", the scenerio/campaign creation capability was limitless, as well.

sol_invictus -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 5:40:37 PM)

This title is a seasonal classic that always comes up when the subject of re-releases is mentioned. I am certain that there is a large amount of interest in this old classic and it certainly merits an update. I guess we can continue to hope. There is always the project that anvil is working on, but that is probably many months/years from release. Maybe the editor that will come with Warriors of Russia can handle this era.

Eirhead -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 7:49:05 PM)

Played AOR for years,still do now & again (DosBox),but feel it's to old both in graphics and gameplay/interface to bother updating,esp. the editor which could have been more streamlined IMHO,much better to start from scratch.
Does ANYONE know what happened to Black Powder Wars:BON??? Is it dead and if so why is it still on Matrix site?There was a forum for it but it seems to be MIA.

sol_invictus -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/13/2007 11:06:13 PM)

BON was cancelled and the Developer has joined the Warriors of Russia team, I believe. I haven't read much new about WoR lately either, though Magnus did post some screenshots not long ago. I have very high hopes for WoR.

Marauders -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/19/2007 2:49:17 AM)

Do you mean Wargame Construction Set III: Age of Rifles 1846-1905?

It was produced by SSI as part of Mindscape.  Mindscape was sold to Mattel and then was sold to Ubisoft.

It was a very good game, but it was not updated for Windows just like many of the classic wargames from that era.

JAMiAM -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/19/2007 4:28:31 AM)

There is this other wargame construction kit that is available from Matrix Games. You might have heard of it...Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III, affectionately known as TOAW III...[;)]

Some creative scenario designers have even done a decent job with recreating some battles from the "Age of Rifles" though admittedly, it is best at 20th Century Warfare.

m10bob -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/19/2007 2:48:13 PM)

Can ya' hear the crickets chirpin' tonight?[:D]

JAMiAM -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/19/2007 7:10:43 PM)

I think that's what's referred to as "an awkward silence"...[:D]

ravinhood -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/19/2007 9:21:43 PM)

That was the sound just before the last Battle of the Alamo. ;)

carnifex -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/19/2007 9:44:21 PM)

Aaaah, Age of Rifles.   Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, no game delivered greater firepower against the darkies.   Need to zap out some Zulu?  Slaughter some Sepoys?  Annihilate the Ayrabs!  Shoot some Sioux? AoR was your game!

ravinhood -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/19/2007 10:51:25 PM)

Speaking of which anyone know how to get the sound working on XP and an Audigy sound card? I can't get DOSBOX to work or that VDSM program either. The game works fine, just no boom boom lol.

Hertston -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/19/2007 11:02:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast
Yeah, it was an SSI title...which means Ubisoft...which means keeps dreaming, boys.

It's not as they are ever likely to do anything with it; and even the Ubi suits can work out that selling the license for a little cash is better than letting it sit and rot for no cash. Failing that, how about a game that does pretty much the same thing as Age of Rifles? A project for Koios when they get bored with Panzer Command, maybe?

I could never get the sound to work under XP, either. I'm not sure it ever worked under Windows 98 come to that.

Arctic Blast -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/20/2007 1:24:40 AM)

Aside from their willingness to allow other firms to rework the Steel Panther franchise, I've read in a few places that Ubi has shown total disinterest in doing anything with old SSI licenses, or allowing another firm to obtain them from them for anything less than an exorbitant fee. And, they have enough franchises that make them a ton of money that they really CAN afford to just sit on them.

ravinhood -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/20/2007 1:32:10 AM)

Only for 75 years then they can wipe their butts with the paper their copyright is printed on. ;)

ilovestrategy -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/23/2007 3:43:17 AM)

Wow, AOR brings back memories! That game ruled! [&o]

LitFuel -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/24/2007 12:25:27 AM)

I think Matrix should negotiate with Jeff Lapkoff of JeffLapkoffgames for an Age of Rifles type game but with a different name to get around the rights. His Custer game totally reminds me of AOR.

[image]local://upfiles/22623/74103A442B2449B7ADA3ECE5906ACBAC.jpg[/image]

MistaCreepy -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/29/2007 1:14:44 AM)

Like I said in the TOAW 3 forum, this was the first... and after all these years, the best war game Ive ever played (Sorry HOI2)...

Theres a huge demand for this game Matrix! Cant you guys smell money?

m10bob -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (6/29/2007 2:51:56 PM)

The store shelves are just packed with crap like "Johnny goes to the Zoo" and weekly copies of "Toy Soldier" and "Gangsta Masta", etc..At least Matrixgames has the genre, they just don't have the ears....

terbare -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (10/15/2007 10:39:20 AM)

Age of Rifles brings back fond memorys of one of the finest games covering that particular era, the age of the rifle. A game I could never resist taking the losing historical side, refighting it over and over and finally figuring after losing several times the best strategy to that particular situation be Isawandlha or the Little Big Horn battles. A game system you could use to learn something of the history of the that interesting period of time without devoting hours and hours of time painting lead figures. What else can I say its a game the covers an era of military history that is my view a sorely neglected area.

redcoat -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (10/15/2007 2:02:27 PM)

Age of Rifles is a classic I still play. It may have been released back in 1996 but people are still designing scenarios and mods for it today.

P.S. You can find some of my recent AoR scenarios here.

anvl -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (10/19/2007 12:27:42 AM)

redcoat,, thanks for the AOR scenario lead...

check out my post in the other AOR thread,, there is a new Nappy mod avalable as well.. just within the last few weeks or so...

check it out here.. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/age_of_rifles/messages

to get sound,, you need the original disk,, I am not sure if a disk image works.. but you can find the image kicking around the net,,, then use a mount cdrom command in dosbox,and mount\install the disk,and you can get sound.

anvil

Hoplite1963 -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (8/14/2016 8:19:26 PM)

There is now a new version of Age of Rifles available on the Yahoo Group which has DosBox integrated into it and which runs sound and all with no problems on Windows 10. Here is a Dropbox link to download it. You will need something like WINRAR to unpack it though. Once this is done just click on the "START THE GAME" icon to launch, and make a shortcut from this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54384751/Wargame%20Construction%20Set%20III%20Age%20of%20Rifles%201846-1905%20%281996%29.rar

Not been able to play it since 2004 when I upgraded to XP and only got it back a couple of days ago :-)
Enjoy
Ian

Rodwonder -> RE: Age Of Rifles?? (8/14/2016 8:58:48 PM)

Will check this out... Thanks!

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI