Unit strength/losses (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

Jarhead0331 -> Unit strength/losses (7/23/2007 6:02:01 AM)

Well, this may have already been noted, but how is unit strength and losses calculated? I've seen in screen shots both statistics broken down into a factor of numbers...however, these numbers don't seem to correlate to actual manpower.

In other words, after I order my men over the top...I want to see if 10,000 men are lost, I do not want to see that my unit has suffered a loss of 10 strength points.

Thanks in advance

SMK-at-work -> RE: Unit strength/losses (7/23/2007 6:36:05 AM)

Corps have a variable number of strength points depending on their exact nature - eg IIRC French corps are 22 pts max, German 24, Russian & A/H 18, British are 28 for the BEF, Canadian and ANZAC (?) Corps and 24 otherwise.

On hte strategic summary page there's a total of how many men you have lsot to date, but IIRC combat losses are given in strength points.

I think we did discuss having it all expressed in manpower as an option, but that was quiet some time ago & it never made the Beta's so I assume it's not in the forthcomign release either.

dave74 -> RE: Unit strength/losses (7/23/2007 10:38:56 AM)

I am another on ewho likes realistic figures, but not having them does not spoil the game, just takes a little atmosphere away.

I suppose we could work out how many strength points each side have and then decide what each of these is worth in relation to actual manpower figures during the war.

Jarhead0331 -> RE: Unit strength/losses (7/23/2007 1:27:03 PM)

Frankly, I never understand the decision the represent manpower/losses in terms of arbitrary numbers, rather than realistic figures. It makes no sense, especially in a wargame...

Its just lazy, and in a game thats taken as long as Guns of August has to develop, there's no excuse...just my .02

7th Somersets -> RE: Unit strength/losses (7/23/2007 3:26:05 PM)

As SMK has said - you do get national manpower levels. You do have to keep an eye on them and I have played games where it really has affected what an army does (eg I played a game where French manpower got so low that it forced the Brits onto the offensive to take the heat off them for nearly a year.)

sol_invictus -> RE: Unit strength/losses (7/23/2007 4:26:50 PM)

Ideally, I would prefer an exact casualty listing, but at this scale, it is not really required. Since units are Corps and turns are 2-3 months in duration with several combat phases per turn, the game would have to keep track of alot of numbers and also track deaths vs wounded and also returned wounded to the force pool. I figure we can get an approximate level of casualties by simply tracking the percentage of total point loss. No need to get down in the weeds.

Pandemic -> RE: Unit strength/losses (7/24/2007 3:22:49 AM)

it does state in the manual its about 2000 men per strength point

SMK-at-work -> RE: Unit strength/losses (7/24/2007 3:37:52 AM)

Well it's wrong!! :)

Russian corps weer actually stronger in manpower than German ones IIRC, but are 18 pts max to 24 for the Germans...I did argue the point that strength should be manpower only, and fighting quality should be a different factor entirely, but I lost that one....among others![8D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI