RE: Review @ Out of Eight (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

SMK-at-work -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/12/2007 12:22:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

He gives it more than I give FPS's...[:D]

Clearly he's not a wargamer - and yet he still manages to give it 5/8....I'm impressed that he recognises some good points, and curious what as to what he thinks should be the sound effects for a grand strategy game.....

Untrue - he has played and reviewed all major and minor wargames out there since 2 years at OutOf8, and had played wargames since very long ago.

Doesn't make him a wargameer - I shoot arrows, and I'm no archer!! :)

quote:

It looks like he doesn't like much micromanaging hundreds of units, but neither do I and I'm also a wargamer...

No-one does much - but then this game doesn't actually have much of it, despite his review.

Noakesy -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/12/2007 12:30:05 PM)

Personally I think the manual is the problem with the game, and that is referred to in the review. If the manual explained the game in more depth then you wouldn't find yourself spending time trying to figure out why certain things do/don't work (or get a few turns into the game and found you've made a mistake that means you might as well restart).

I don't think this is a 'micro-management' game, just pitched at the right level (IMO). Just think of some of those games with 100s of 'counters', that have to be moved one at a time. However, everyone has their own preference in this respect.

EUBanana -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/12/2007 1:57:19 PM)

In fairness he did give TOAW 7 out of 8, and I dunno if I'd want to play TOAW, that looks like WITP on land.  [:D]

Moltke71 -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/12/2007 4:36:01 PM)

7/8 for FoF but he thinks - from comments here- that GoA has too much micro-management? Ohhh, puleeaasse[8|][8|]

MorningDew -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/12/2007 4:53:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Here's my review....Damn good fun.

Now that's an accurate review!

axeman109 -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/12/2007 6:09:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Here's my review....Damn good fun.

Ditto. How often do we get a strategic level game that's just plain fun to play? I found GGWAW just fun too. HOI, WITP, FOF are all great games IMO, they just take much more effort (and time). With a 3 year old time isn't something I have a lot of so this game fits right in for me.

Lascar -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/12/2007 11:51:19 PM)

Iv'e been a wargamer since 1968. GoA has captured the feeling of the classic boardgames of my youth. It plays like, and has the feel of, the best of the old AH and SPI games but has the advantage of computer assisted bookkeeping that used to be done with tracks and charts. Frank Hunter understands what it takes to make a game an historical simulation (wargame) and not just a strategy game with a bit of period chrome.

GoA has what it takes to become a classic.

Lascar

Bossy573 -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 2:32:18 AM)

Ah, disappointing review but who really cares. I have long since learned that Wargames are judged on different merits than mainstream PC games.
The Wargamer has a review coming along soon. That one will carry a little more weight with me.

06 Maestro -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 5:19:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bossy573

The Wargamer has a review coming along soon. That one will carry a little more weight with me.

I hope they wait until after the patch...

Bossy573 -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 6:50:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

I hope they wait until after the patch...

I think I read in their forums that the author has already submitted the review and it is next up.

morvwilson -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 8:52:39 AM)

Gota agree with Judgedread here, damn good fun!

As far as why the general public does not seem to get the word on these type of games? I think that these games require too much mental effort for most people. When I was a kid we used to do jigsaw puzzles on the kitchen table. (only 3 or 4 chanels of tv were available through the rabbit ears!) I view most war games as an extension of the jigsaw puzzle days. Just a little more complexity!

95% of them I think are great fun!

But, complaining about micromanagement!? Anyone remember the old Starfire campaign game?

Moltke71 -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 2:58:49 PM)

You want to talk about micro-management?  Check out SPI/Richard Berg's old North Africa monster game!  These kids have no idea what micromanagement is!

06 Maestro -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 3:38:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

You want to talk about micro-management?  Check out SPI/Richard Berg's old North Africa monster game!  These kids have no idea what micromanagement is!

I have Kursk by SPI-it took true devotion to play through. I still have it in thr attic; with all the pieces, but no rule book.[:(]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 3:59:46 PM)

quote:

This is true...

Cyrano~ -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 6:46:06 PM)

As per my opinion of the game I couldn't care less about any review at this point. I read the posts of the people of this forum, figured they had an interest in history and wargaming like myself and took the plunge to my immense satisfaction.
My guess is that everyone who's already playing this fantastic game feels pretty much the same and those who will purchase it will enjoy it enormously as well.
Having said all that I do hope it gets the reviews it deserves so that players who may not frequent these forums or necessarily follow wargaming in general take a close look at this title and help it's sales.
Thanks to all the players who "reviewed" it before me.

Noakesy -> RE: Review @ Out of Eight (8/14/2007 11:30:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
quote:

This is true...

Absolutely right - this isn't 'micro-management' this is a proper war game - well done.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI